• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Vocabulario

linkster

¡Nunca dejes de creer!
Time of past OR future Camino
I have been trying to learn some basic Spanish in preparation for my first Camino. I have been using Rosetta Stone, Spanish 101 at the local State College, Coffee Break Spanish, and Spanish Behind the Wheel. A little bit every day, and it is slowly starting to make sense.

I have started putting some of the vocabulary relative to a camino into Quizlet, and thought some of you might find it helpful. Quizlet has support for Spanish, so it can help with the pronunciation. I usually got through the sets in the following order: flashcards, learn, spell. It is an ongoing project and I will keep adding sets.

Here is the hyperlink to the camino vocabulario: https://quizlet.com/linkster3/folders/camino-vocabulario

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A great resource Linkster , thank you for sharing your work :).

I am feeling particularly empowered now that I know this particular Spanish term ;
'el exhibicionista' :eek: I just hope I don't pass one on the way !

Last edited:
Nice project! Just noticed minor problems:
el estrefiimiento ("estreñimiento", no idea as to represent phonetically the "ñ" in English)
el estornago ---> (estómago)
los chinches ---> ("las" chinches; it is a feminine noun)
pantorilla ---> (pantorrilla)

Great job!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm also planning on walking the Camino Frances in September and this will help me on the language side of things. Thanks Linkster...maybe I'll see you on the trail...Buen Camino.

el estrefiimiento ("estreñimiento", no idea as to represent phonetically the "ñ" in English)

@Felipe thanks for the catch. I have modified the sets.

eñe
(eh-nyeh)
(mañana)

I have been trying to learn some basic Spanish in preparation for my first Camino. I have been using Rosetta Stone, Spanish 101 at the local State College, Coffee Break Spanish, and Spanish Behind the Wheel. A little bit every day, and it is slowly starting to make sense.

I have started putting some of the vocabulary relative to a camino into Quizlet, and thought some of you might find it helpful. Quizlet has support for Spanish, so it can help with the pronunciation. I usually got through the sets in the following order: flashcards, learn, spell. It is an ongoing project and I will keep adding sets.

Here is the hyperlink to the camino vocabulario: https://quizlet.com/linkster3/folders/camino-vocabulario

Buen Camino

Thank you. ... this is great! I am using duolingo which is great because it lets me study more languages .. I am also studing Norwegian, Portuguese, French, Spanish. .. between duolingo & quizlet I will have an enjoyable Camino ... buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Caneadea Muy bien. Es eso un montón de lenguas extranjeras. Taking an actual class has helped identify some of the patterns and grammar that eluded me in Reosetta Stone. The class is an immersion class. La profesora habla a español, pero el libro está en inglés que ayuda a. I am still tongue tied by some of the words. It seems they have more vowels, and are more animated in their tone. Slowly, but surely.

They actually have fewer vowels, since the A, E, I, O & U all have the same pronunciation regardless of the word. Now, getting some of those consonants to roll off the tongue (no, I STILL can't roll my rr's after 20 years!) is a whole other story! In Spanish they say "poco a poco" ... little by little. Keep at it, and you'll be amazed at how quickly you improve on the basics once you get there and start using it. :)

For specific things like ordering in a restaurant and asking directions, I found The Spanish Dude's videos extremely helpful. The ones posted below all contain examples from Spain:

Ordering Food in Spanish:
Buy Bus/Train Tickets in Spanish:
Ask directions in Spanish:

Buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Great job!
The

Great job!
Yes, good list! You did a lot a work. A few more suggestions, if I may.
Where did you start? ¿De dónde empezó?
estimated arrival: llegada esperada
sleeping bag: saco de dormir
Have fun!

@Charlotte Helbig yes you may. I really cannot put these into context of right vs wrong, Latin America vs Spain, text book vs common vernacular. I am sure there are multiple ways of saying or meaning the same thing. All comments / context are welcome.

¿De dónde empezó? (from where did you start) changed.
estimated arrival: llegada esperada vs. llegada estimada? esperada ~= expected, estimada = estimated? esperada derivative of esperar (to wait)?
sleeping bag: saco de dormir vs. la bolsa de dormir? spanishdict.com and google both come up with bolsa? Latin America vs. Spain? I tried to include the gender on the nouns.

Gracias

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Charlotte Helbig yes you may. I really cannot put these into context of right vs wrong, Latin America vs Spain, text book vs common vernacular. I am sure there are multiple ways of saying or meaning the same thing. All comments / context are welcome.

estimated arrival: llegada esperada vs. llegada estimada? esperada ~= expected, estimada = estimated? esperada derivative of esperar (to wait)?
sleeping bag: saco de dormir vs. la bolsa de dormir? spanishdict.com and google both come up with bolsa? Latin America vs. Spain? I tried to include the gender on the nouns.

Gracias

Saco o bolsa-doesn't matter. We understand the meaning of both. I personally would use saco.

La hora estimada de llegada -Estimated hour of arrival
Llegada esperada-more like saying planned arrival

If you want to ask someone "when do you expect to arrive", you would say "cuando espera llegar".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You might like to have a look at the Michel Thomas Spanish course too. We borrowed it from our local library and loved it so much we purchased our own copy.

Gracias
Hi there:
It's really not a question about Latin America vs. Spain. You are so right about putting things in context, hence the problem with dictionaries, online translators, etc. There is no context. But of course, we do need these things.
In English we say "Where did you start from". In Spanish you must say "From where did you start"? ..De from...donde...where...etc.
Estimado means more "esteemed" and is used in a letter, as in Estimada Maria [Dear Mary....] Yes, you are right....esperada is from esperar.
Bolsa is bag but more as in purse, so saco de dormir is probably better [as in sleeping sack].
You really did a lot of work creating the Quizlet cards.... I do think it is great that you are putting such an effort into learning some Spanish before you go. Bien hecho....well done!

Buen Camino
I just noticed you are going in September. What are your dates? We leave the US on the 14th and will start our Camino from SJPP on the 17th.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Charlotte Helbig I have not booked a ticket yet. My youngest son is going to graduate high school and will start college this year. But, the college is still a big unknown. He has already been accepted to several, with the last acceptance dates at the end of march. I have been tracking flights into Madrid for the last week of August / first week of September. I thought I would check out Madrid for a couple of days (ship some stuff to Ivar for after), take a flight to Biarritz, and train to St. Jean. Spend a night in St. Jean, then Orison. I will wing the rest. Take sometime to ponder what I want the next stage of life to be like. I might be a couple of weeks ahead of you, but I will post my start date and add entry on the calendar once I book a ticket. Tic Toc.

Buen Camino

@Charlotte Helbig I have not booked a ticket yet. My youngest son is going to graduate high school and will start college this year. But, the college is still a big unknown. He has already been accepted to several, with the last acceptance dates at the end of march. I have been tracking flights into Madrid for the last week of August / first week of September. I thought I would check out Madrid for a couple of days (ship some stuff to Ivar for after), take a flight to Biarritz, and train to St. Jean. Spend a night in St. Jean, then Orison. I will wing the rest. Take sometime to ponder what I want the next stage of life to be like. I might be a couple of weeks ahead of you, but I will post my start date and add entry on the calendar once I book a ticket. Tic Toc.

Buen Camino

Well congrats to your son! It is a very exciting time of life. (Those years do fly by, don't they?) Good luck with your plans, and keep up with the Spanish! You have made a very good start. I am a retired Spanish teacher so if you have any questions just ask. I am sitting around here obsessively planning/thinking about my Camino, so the distraction would be welcome. I almost wish I could leave next week LOL

Buen Camino.

Buen Camino

Hi,
Thank you for your work on Quizlet. I will, for one, be looking at it.

I am using Duolingo and some first year Spanish books to try my best to have a decent handle on the language before my Camino in September. I am sure the information on Quizlet will be helpful. I am not strong in languages...it seems I always have Italian vocab pop into my mind when I want to try French, French when I want Italian, etc......hoping I do better with this language!

Thanks!
HikerNana

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The only problem with learning to ask questions in Spanish is understanding the answers. ;)

That is SO true...never forget my first time in Italy being so happy I could ask where the bathroom was only to be totally dismayed with the very fast Italian response....what was I thinking??

My best way to learn Spanish was to not hang out with any English speakers! I found my brain would shut off and I'd rely on them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was sent a link by my friend and a lot of what is explained makes you think differently about learning the language. Makes a lot of sense. The link is shortcuttospanish.com Now I will try the links suggested in this blog for pronunciation. Gracias :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.