• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino walk intensity -advice/opinions needed

Wiliukazz

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hello,

I will walk the Camino for the first time in September. Route - Senda Litoral.
I am not too concerned about my physical condition, I exercise 4 times a week (strength workouts - gym), but I would like some advice.
1. How do you prepare for the trip, I mean for a couple of months to walk with a full backpack for longer distances on weekends or something?
2. How is it better - to choose smaller sections between the stages first, and then lengthen (go longer distances) them? Or maybe you just go with your strength and depending on how you feel/fatigue that day? Usually, in the case of running marathons, or Tour de France, athletes distribute and save their energy according to the plan in order to finish successfully, meaning that they sometimes are slow for a reason.

Thank you all.

Vilius, Lithuania

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here is a preparation pattern that I have recommended in the past from the AussieWalk organisation, which has been used to prepare walkers for the Canberra Two Day Walks (now Aussie Peace Walks). Use the longer program unless you are only going to walk 10km/day!

Note that I varied the program to do the longer walks on weekends rather than during the week, although now that I have retired, it would be possible to follow the program as it is laid out at the link.

On your second question, there is a lot of sense in the advice to start like an old man or woman if you want to finish as a young one. I find it more difficult these days not to both start and finish as an old man:rolleyes:

edit: you will find many similar preparation programs for multi-day walks from organisations similar to AussieWalk that participate in the IVV and IML walking events around the world.

Here is a preparation pattern that I have recommended in the past from the AussieWalk organisation, which has been used to prepare walkers for the Canberra Two Day Walks (now Aussie Peace Walks). Use the longer program unless you are only going to walk 10km/day!

Note that I varied the program to do the longer walks on weekends rather than during the week, although now that I have retired, it would be possible to follow the program as it is laid out at the link.

On your second question, there is a lot of sense in the advice to start like an old man or woman if you want to finish as a young one. I find it more difficult these days not to both start and finish as an old man:rolleyes:

edit: you will find many similar preparation programs for multi-day walks from organisations similar to AussieWalk that participate in the IVV and IML walking events around the world.
Thanks :) No old man things, just tactics for keeping the best shape :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would recommend slowing building up your distance, then add a (loaded) pack. This tests out your gear as well, shoes, socks, pack adjustment etc, so there are no surprises. Nothing works for walking on outdoor terrain than walking outside, treadmills are not the same. There is no rubber coating or air con on the actual 'way'.
We have a saying, gyms are fine but walking outside "Is where the rubber meets the road". You learn how to allow for uneven terrain, slipperiness, mud, long stretches of concrete or tarmac etc.
Its not only fitness that matters, but whether you will develop blisters etc, and if so how to cope with that. Your feet aren't usually subjected to daily 6- 7 hours of outdoor terrain walking for weeks on end.
Make sure you've included a couple of consecutive days. I usually work up to a couple of consecutive 20km days on gravel roads and off-road paths.
When walking the Camino myself, I normally try to keep my first few days around 20kms or so, whilst I build up my tolerance and fitness again.
Never underestimate the impact of blistered feet. Ive seen fit people laid low with horrible blisters. Walking long days on unaccustomed feet, and new shoes can take a toll.

Last edited:
The saying means to start slowly. If English is not your first language, it might not translate effectively. And the Camino is not a race, so why you need tactics is a puzzle to me.
Yes maybe "slowly" is not the right word. I am talking about daily distances. Some people choose to have short distances in the first days, that's what I meant.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Coastal and Senda as my first Camino in 2021.

Don't overdo the training !
Keep you pack weight as low as common sense will allow (don't leave something out just to save weight/although you can buy almost anything you have forgotten while walking)
For a few weeks before i carried my pack when i walked my dog 5-7 miles a day over flat ground and during those walks found the issues that my gear had.
(ESPECIALLY SHOES i had two different pairs fitted in running shops;they felt great but by 5 to six miles they did not :-(!)

Don't get fixated on the stage distance; for example 20-25km and think OMG its such a long way!!
Start with a couple of shorter days and see how you are holding up (especially your feet).
Break up the days walk stopping for coffee,snacks in bars ,cafes as you walk then the walk feels less of an endurance test.
Most of the Coastal/Senda is relatively flat walking on promenades,boardwalks,road and beach until you turn inland.
Its a great walk and if you love the sea it's a winner.
From Pontevedra i walked the Espiritual Variant which was the best bit of my Camino apart from Porto which in my mind is a must; great city great atmosphere.
Buen Camino
Woody

Will do the Coastal in July and will walk the Variante Espiritual, too.
Apart from my daily "workout" on my job, I will do some longer walks in the local mountain-ranges.

CU there!

Hello,

I am not too concerned about my physical condition, I exercise 4 times a week (strength workouts - gym), but I would like some advice.
1. How do you prepare for the trip, I mean for a couple of months to walk with a full backpack for longer distances on weekends or something?
2. How is it better - to choose smaller sections between the stages first, and then lengthen (go longer distances) them? Or maybe you just go with your strength and depending on how you feel/fatigue that day? Usually, in the case of running marathons, or Tour de France, athletes distribute and save their energy according to the plan in order to finish successfully, meaning that they sometimes are slow for a reason.

Thank you all.

Vilius, Lithuania

1. Depending on your life and life style, preparation can be difficult. To really prepare, you would need to walk with the full backpack long distance several days without interruption ... as it is in large parts the walking every day which is causing wear and tear on your body ... not so much the single day. Nevertheless doing single days or weekends as preparation is a good thing, do not get me wrong here. It just does not simulate the challenges of ong distance hiking.

2. If you are like me on my most recent Camino, you will go full force on day one to test your limits and then pay the price for it in terms of blisters and pain for the remainder of the Camino 🤣 ... if however, you are more intelligent, then you will start slowly and ramp up during the first days. Testing how your body reacts and eventually find a daily mileage you are comfortable with. After a week or two of walking you might experience that it gets easier and easier and you will increase that mileage.
This is why I dop not like pre planning/booking as in terms of what distance you will cover on which day. This pre-planned schedule might be wrong for you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, and as others said ... breaks/stops are important. When I do 30 or 40 km a day, I try to make sure to have at least half an hour not being on my feet every 10 km.
The days I feel best with a long distance are those where I additionally take a looong lunch break. A 40 km-day with some breaks and a 2,5 hour lunch break at kilometre 25 feels much better for me than a 25 km-day with hardly any breaks. Also recovery time is shorter and the next day will feel better.

A degree of fitness is necessary, but other factors can be as important as physical training, unless you are very definitely unfit. As well as mental attitude, these include:

footwear
distance walked
weight carried
pace

For what it's worth I've just come back from walking the Portuguese Central and Finisterra caminos. At home I walk regularly, but not distances. The longest walk I did in the previous year was about 11k, and the only specific training I did was to do that with a loaded pack. I averaged about 15 k a day, carrying around 6 kilos including a litre of water and some food. Longest day was 26 k. Every hour or so I stopped, sat, stretched, and drank (water!) Walking alone, so never faster or slower than was comfortable. Hips were a bit troublesome (quite likely for 70-somethings) so I rested 2 days between the caminos.

Many much younger and fitter people were having problems because of footwear, weight, or pushing to do longer distances or keep up with others. Hoping to have my 75th birthday on camino next year.

Enjoy your camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Coastal and Senda as my first Camino in 2021.

Don't overdo the training !
Keep you pack weight as low as common sense will allow (don't leave something out just to save weight/although you can buy almost anything you have forgotten while walking)
For a few weeks before i carried my pack when i walked my dog 5-7 miles a day over flat ground and during those walks found the issues that my gear had.
(ESPECIALLY SHOES i had two different pairs fitted in running shops;they felt great but by 5 to six miles they did not :-(!)

Don't get fixated on the stage distance; for example 20-25km and think OMG its such a long way!!
Start with a couple of shorter days and see how you are holding up (especially your feet).
Break up the days walk stopping for coffee,snacks in bars ,cafes as you walk then the walk feels less of an endurance test.
Most of the Coastal/Senda is relatively flat walking on promenades,boardwalks,road and beach until you turn inland.
Its a great walk and if you love the sea it's a winner.
From Pontevedra i walked the Espiritual Variant which was the best bit of my Camino apart from Porto which in my mind is a must; great city great atmosphere.
Buen Camino
Woody
This is great advice Woody. The first time I was walking the Norte, my pack was 8 kg. I just couldn't cope. Eventually I got it down to just below 6 kg and ut was the biggest thing that helped and made walking pleasurable I like the sound of the walking by the sea and Porto so may look into this

There is a lot of emphasis on "distance" walked. I would also pay attention to the total elevation change (mainly rise) for the day's walk. I find that that is more important to me than the distance. I can do 30K if I have to (I'm 74) but I worry when the total "ups" is more than about 500-700m. As more detail, a 700m climb if it occurs over a long stretch (say 10k is easy) but if it occurs over say 3-5k its a bear. The average incline or the number of steep inclines take a toll as well.

Hello,

Thank you all.

Vilius, Lithuania
There are so many things that impact your request. Certainly practicing will help, and it will reveal things at home before you travel to Spain. To answer your questions more directly: (1) Yes, practice will help; the more, the better. I don't know your current age, physical condition, any maladies, etc. so I'm a bit reluctant to advise anyone on anything. I'm 76, and I've walked 4 Caminos and will hopefully do another this year.
(2) Don't worry about finishing. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but don't stress over completing a Camino. If I had one psychological recommendation it would be to manage your own expectations. I'm retired, so I didn't stress over having enough time to finish. I have seen many people who did not have the option of taking as much time as they need to finish. I would recommend cutting the Camino short if there were any hints of being backed into a corner regarding time available. Not only that, but I never buy a return ticket. Maybe you walk one-half this year and return the next year.
(3) Listen to your body. Sometimes you may need two nights in a city, perhaps three, to rest up and recuperate. It does wonders for your body and mind.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

The saying means to start slowly. If English is not your first language, it might not translate effectively. And the Camino is not a race, so why you need tactics is a puzzle to me.
If you are in as good a shape as you say you are, then you should have very few issues with your camino unless you have a backpack that does not fit correctly or you are carrying way to much in it. The other big issue is wearing the right shoe that fits properly, and (most say to get a pair wider and larger than you normally wear as your foot expands), and good merino wool or synthetic socks made for hiking. The only advice is yes walk with your pack for a few weeks. You are not walking in winter so it should be pretty light and you are only going for a couple of weeks. Finally listen to your body and rest and go when it tells you to.
@dougfitz said it is not a race so I also wonder what "tactics" you need that are applicable to a marathon or the tour de france and a camino. You are also walking what I can safely say is the physically easiest camino of all the caminos I know. I large elevation gain for the first week will be about 36 inches. Just walk and stop when your body tells you to stop. If you have given yourself 2 weeks and a rest day that would be only about 20K a day. Old men like @dougfitz and me could do this camino in our sleep. And he has a CPack also!!!!! So just walk.

There is a lot of emphasis on "distance" walked. I would also pay attention to the total elevation change (mainly rise) for the day's walk. I find that that is more important to me than the distance. I can do 30K if I have to (I'm 74) but I worry when the total "ups" is more than about 500-700m. As more detail, a 700m climb if it occurs over a long stretch (say 10k is easy) but if it occurs over say 3-5k its a bear. The average incline or the number of steep inclines take a toll as well.
Yes! Also the type of path. Asphalt miles pound the feet more than miles on packed dirt, but even worse than that is paths full of chunky loose rocks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

Thank you all.

Vilius, Lithuania
I'd substitute long walks or hikes for strength workouts - they're different sorts of fitness, and you'll need the endurance more than the muscle strength on the Camino. My mistake on my first long hike was being a "weekend warrior" - one long hike a week, and then shorter things weekdays. What you need is the day after day training - at least both weekend days, and if you can do three in a row, that's even better.
If you do that, I think you'll find the stages do-able. There aren't always "halfway through" lodging options, so your idea of doing half a stage might only work if you could catch a taxi to somewhere there was lodging, then another taxi back in the morning to where you stopped, to resume. Bom caminho!

This is great advice Woody. The first time I was walking the Norte, my pack was 8 kg. I just couldn't cope. Eventually I got it down to just below 6 kg and ut was the biggest thing that helped and made walking pleasurable I like the sound of the walking by the sea and Porto so may look into this
You wont be disappointed,I promise

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gym work gets you fit which is useful but you need stamina which you won't get in the gym but will get walking longer distances particularly over hills.
This. I walked my first Camino in March and had a similar view about "I'm an active person, I go to the gym and work hard, I should be fine" and I was completly broken after the first two days. You can check here. Maybe you'll adapt faster and better than I did, but I'd adivce you to train walking long distances, this is what you're going to do on the Camino and also start slow.

Good advice above. I’d add, once on the camino, quit each day’s walk before you are completely exhausted, particularly in the earlier days. You want some energy left to find food, do your chores (eg., laundry) and perhaps to explore the neighbourhood.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back