• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Watercolor

catherinemccoy

Catherine McCoy
Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Frances
I'm wondering if others have done watercolor or acrylic paintings of their Camino. I recently signed up for a class and excited to be painting some of my photos.

Attachments

• Convento de San Anton.jpg
    Convento de San Anton.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 3,510
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here is another I did of a house on the outskirts of Mazariffe

Attachments

• Camino near Mazariffe.jpg
    Camino near Mazariffe.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 3,451
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Catherine - these are charming! You should compile a photo-book of your favourite painitngs and sell them on Amazon Kindle. I would buy one!

These are fantastic! It's just a pity you didn't capture my walking partner and I sitting having a cigarette on the first one. :D

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I loved Moratinos. This one's for you Rebekah Scott. I'm sure i'm not the only one who took pictures of the blue windows in the clay\straw house.

Attachments

• Blue Window.jpg
    Blue Window.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 3,062
These are really Good .. Thanks for sharing

Wow! That blue window must be one of the most photographed items in this scruffy little town, and you made it look beautiful! Is the painting for sale?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rebekah you flatter me and glad you like the window. I have always felt sorry that i didn't meet you and truly want to come back. I've only taken 8 weeks of watercolour lessons and certainly don't consider good enough to sell; but if you private message me your mailing address and if i can figure out how to get a print made, I will send it to you. :D

I have a nice book "Un Artiste Chinois sur les Chemins de Compostelle" . It is in French, with sketches and watercolors done by a Chinese artist on the Camino. I must say, I prefer the works in this thread.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola Catherine,
I took a very mini paint kit with me on the Primitivo this year. Just getting round to painting from my sketches and photos. Great fun and brings back memories.

I painted the street scene from a photo I took last year in Santiago.

Looking forward to seeing more watercolours here.

Attachments

• sketch Campiello.jpg
    sketch Campiello.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 2,453
  • sketch Montouto.jpg
    sketch Montouto.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,445
  • street Santiago 1.jpg
    street Santiago 1.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 2,457
Thanks for sharing these Tia Valeria! :D Photos are wonderful, but art will forever hold the energy of the person who created it.

photo8.jpg

A sketch during my last camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Letendre I checked out your blog. I love your style and think I could learn a lot from you! And so many wonderful sketchings/watercolour of the Camino :) Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks Catherine!
The first time I walked the camino, I was unable to draw anything. But this year, I found little Time everything day to sketch. But it's difficult because hiking is an exclusive hobby.
But I love it ! And I'am looking for a place in Spain, to partipate to the Next sketchcrawl on july 15 th.
May be in Salamanca.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 12th Century Church in Boadilla del Camino has a baptismal font that I will always remember.

Attachments

• Baptismal font.jpg
    Baptismal font.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,867
I have not been on this site for some time because it makes me a little sad to know that I will probably never walk the Camino again... but I have so many wonderful memories and that's a good thing. Here is one of my favourite memories of walking into Hontanas.

Attachments

• Hontanas Spain.jpg
    Hontanas Spain.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,438
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
These are outstanding, and what a great idea. Bravo!

Oh no! Don't tell me I have to take my watercolours, brushes and paper as well! Have got down to the magic 10% figure.....

Karin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Catherine, you are a natural! Just a few weeks of class and you can do this! WOW! They are beautiful and it has been suggested to think about making prints and selling them; I, too, would love to buy some.

Valerie, you are full of surprises! Your sketches and the painting of the street in Santiago are amazing! How envious I am of those of you that can capture the beauty of what you see. I lack this ability, unfortunately, even my stick figures are hard to interpret! You have such a wonderful gift, Valerie!

Letendre, I love your style. My first thought when I saw your painting was Toulouse Lautrec's poster work. It's remarkable!

catherinemccoy said:
The 12th Century Church in Boadilla del Camino has a baptismal font that I will always remember.
Thank you for reminding me about that baptismal font, it was lovely.
Your watercolours are very nice thanks for sharing.
Col

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you make any prints or copies of any kind, please let me know. I would love to purchase them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh thanks to all for you comments and encouragement! I think I will spend more time painting Camino pictures. I have been all over the place lately with my subject matter and went on a boat kick after visiting Halifax Nova Scotia lol. I do wonder if people would buy Camino note cards... but also never been great at 'self-endorsement'. I also know that nothing can be 'sold' via the forum. I will give it all some serious thought though..... Anyway, I just keep painting and see what happens. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would love to purchase a set as well!

Consider posting a one time offer to sell some of your excellent work in "Camino Resources"

A one time commercial posting is allowed there and you could link to it from this thread where you have a lot of interest.

You would want to think it out before posting as it is a one time thing. Maybe someone can PM you with suggestions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Catherine, I, too, have been bowled over by your work. You sure have a great gift.
The one of the baptismal font at Boadella has a special resonance with me as it also happens to be one of my favourite photos from my camino collection (see attached).

Attachments

• font 044.JPG
    font 044.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 73
Thank you James! Entering that room where the baptismal font is in Boadilla was a magical moment on my Camino for sure. :). I want to share a watercolour that I just finished from a picture that forum member jpflavin1 sent me. I loved this shot of SJPDP that he captured in March of 2011. I'm on a roll of painting Camino pictures ;)
20131106_134351.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow Catherine! Keep on rolling with the Camino watercolours! They're all BEAUTIFUL!
Cheers - Jenny

You've painted all the paintings I want to paint! (I am a pastelist though, not watercolor.) I saw your early posts before I did the Camino last Sept./Oct. (2012). Now, having walked that path, the impact is much greater, poignant, even. Truly wonderful work. And inspiring. Yes, have cards made!
Katherine

These paintings are truly beautiful, Catherine - you have a real gift. I would also love to purchase some cards if you get some made up - I'll look out for a posting in the Camino Resources section.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I painted this one yesterday…. missing both the Camino and the sun. Already tired of snow! One of my favourite Camino memories is of the cows and sheep on the road as we walked. I'm not sure where I took the reference photo, but it was somewhere past Astorga. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and I promise to look into Camino notecards soon.
Camino Cows.jpg

€60,-
In a world filled with so much ugly, it is wonderfully cheering to see such beautiful interpretations of the visual world of the Camino. An art expert I am not but I know what I like... and I am enjoying myself as much here as if I were in the Louvre or the d'Orsay.

By all means, Catherine, let us know when you get into card production.

Tia Valeria and Letendre, perhaps you would be willing to show us more of your own excellent work?

Thanks for a wonderful respite from a busy day, all of you!

One of the lovely things about these paintings is that they capture some of the beauty of the camino. Of course not everyone sees this beauty along the way, fortunately most on this forum do.
How much more enjoyable is life when you can see the beauty along the way.
How much more enjoyable are threads that highlight the positive things the camino produces.
I'm sure we could all think of things that are "less than positive", I recently read the blog of someone who recently walked the Camino Frances, they started to complain about little things from day 1 until they decided to just end their walk because they could see no purpose in continuing.
Also, the thread http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...ments-about-camino-frances.23270/#post-178444.
Based on a litany of what's wrong with the Camino Frances.
So well done Catherine for being brave enough to show us the beauty you beheld along the way, they bring back wonderful memories of why we walk the Camino.
Buen Camino
Colin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tia Valeria and Letendre, perhaps you would be willing to show us more of your own excellent work?

Thanks for a wonderful respite from a busy day, all of you!
Thank you for the encouragement. I need to go back on the Camino again for more inspiration, although there might be something from 2013.
Another good reason to take my little paints kit in 2014.

:) the original photo...

Attachments

• DSC04934.JPG
    DSC04934.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino Finisterre :) somewhere after Negreira.

I have two new paintings and a better one of the Montouto sketch from above. Our scanner made the first ones look very pale so I photographed these.
The mountain range of Os Ancares through the window of the albergue at Castro; Hospital de Montouto, with the windfarm in the background and the ruins of the refugio which was in use still in the 1900s; San Miguel de Lillo, Oviedo; all on the Camino Primitivo

Attachments

• Os Ancares from Castro.jpg
    Os Ancares from Castro.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 33
  • montouto.jpg
    montouto.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 31
  • San Miguel de Lillo.jpg
    San Miguel de Lillo.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

€60,-
I would love to see this thread in a section where it relates to all the Caminos. A section called 'Pilgrim Art on the Caminos' with this thread in there maybe, or else in Miscellaneous?
Have you painted anything new Catherine? I look forward to seeing more here soon.

Last edited:
Catherine your paintings are beautiful thank you for sharing them with us, you capture the essence of the camino in a wonderful way.

I have put a thread in miscellaneous so that those of us who don't have paintings of the Francés are not muddling up this thread. I have left my Primitivo paintings on the post above but will put future ones of the Primitivo, Norte and Inglés over in 'Paintings of the Northern Caminos' to avoid confusion. Love this thread so will keep watching it and if I paint anything of our Camino (2012) from Palas de Rei to Santiago it will be here.

I have not been on this site for some time because it makes me a little sad to know that I will probably never walk the Camino again... but I have so many wonderful memories and that's a good thing. Here is one of my favourite memories of walking into Hontanas.
I love Hontanas too. This very small village is a great place on the camino frances. I have made a watercolor of the main street.

I suppose you use watertolors ?

Lovely work Catherine...... it brings back so many fond memories :):)

S.

It's been awhile since I've painted Camino pictures. I go for days and days of thinking about walking it again until I just have to start painting. Did this watercolour yesterday from a photo I found online and now I can't find it again to give photo credits. I call it 'Camino Winds Blow'.
Camino Winds Blow.jpg

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back