• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino weather in may?

Mrs.DD

Camino starting in May 2014, can't wait!
Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning to walk the Camino next May 2013. No specific date set yet. Anyone walking around that time plz get in touch it would be good to share a beer after a long days hike.
Buen Camino :)
Hi, I am planning to walk the Camino in may next year. Can anyone tell me what the weather is generally like for may June?
After losing my husband last year at the age of 40 to cancer. I need to really sort my head out.
I would of thought may June would be quite warm?also any advice would be great to help me along the way.
Buen Camino w

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I am planning to walk the Camino in may next year. Can anyone tell me what the weather is generally like for may June?
After losing my husband last year at the age of 40 to cancer. I need to really sort my head out.
I would of thought may June would be quite warm?also any advice would be great to help me along the way.
Buen Camino w
Hi!

I will be walking from SJDP starting May 27th, 2014, going all the way to Finisterre. I leave Madrid back to the US on July 5th...so I hope I can complete it all including a little sight seeing.
Buen Camino to you and if we cross paths....the beer is my treat!:D
Rosemary

Buen Camino w

Mrs DD, welcome to the forum. A little exploration may help answer many of your questions. you will find under Miscellaneous Topics an entire section devoted to the weather and several links to local forecasts. On a path that stretches for some 500 miles and with altitude variations from near sea level to some high mountain passes the weather is infinitely variable. Nevertheless the information you seek is already here.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi! May 2011 was perfect. Warm but not too hot and only occasional light rain. I think the last couple of years have been a bit more mixed, but all in all you couldn't give yourself a better chance. Have fun with your preparations. Buen Camino!

Hi Mrs DD,
I wish I had an answer for you but you're asking the proverbial crystal ball question. Have you tried using the 'Search Forums' link top left of the page using 'weather' as the key word?

I too am walking May-June (starting 25th May from StJPP) and for what it's worth, based on what I've learned here, I'm going prepared for rain at times with generally warm weather. That said, we're talking about weather here, so who knows huh?

As for sorting your head out, I truly hope you start to find what you hope for, whatever form that may take and, if you need someone to listen It seems to me you'll find people who will understand your thoughts - or at least try to - and at the very least be prepared to listen.

As for other advice, fill your boots so to speak with the great advice from truly marvellous people on this forum.

Buen Camino.

Let me answer with a question: 'I am planning to walk from London to Walsingham next year in May/June - how will the weather be like?
You see, it is a really difficult / nearly impossible question to answer. The very general answer for Spain would be:
Snow is very unlikely, heat is more likely, rain is, at least in Galicia, almost a certainty.

I hope that the way helps you to cope with your loss and find a new direction to your life.
Buen Camino! SY

Buen Camino w

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Let me answer with a question: 'I am planning to walk from London to Walsingham next year in May/June - how will the weather be like?
You see, it is a really difficult / nearly impossible question to answer. The very general answer for Spain would be:
Snow is very unlikely, heat is more likely, rain is, at least in Galicia, almost a certainty.

I hope that the way helps you to cope with your loss and find a new direction to your life.
Buen Camino! SY

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping for good weather.
The rain hopefully won't last too long. I am really hoping to find myself again on this journey.
I really am looking forward to it.
I'm slowly but surely getting my equipment together (hopefully)!
Thanx again for your reply Angie :)

Post your equipment list here and we all will give you happily feedback on it. Again BUEN CAMINO! SY

I'm slowly but surely getting my equipment together (hopefully)!

My condolances. Hopefully, you will also get your mind together. The Camino has a Way of helping people with that. You will most likely connect with pilgrims who will help you, perhaps unknowingly. Do not rush it: Live life on the Camino.

PS: The weather will most likely be warm, given that you are in Spain, after all. But bring a (very) lightweight, plastic poncho.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My condolances. Hopefully, you will also get your mind together. The Camino has a Way of helping people with that. You will most likely connect with pilgrims who will help you, perhaps unknowingly. Do not rush it: Live life on the Camino.

PS: The weather will most likely be warm, given that you are in Spain, after all. But bring a (very) lightweight, plastic poncho.

Thanx so much for your reply if this forum is anything to go by I will be with fantastic people.
I will certainly take my time on the Camino as my children are all grown and I've noting to rush home to.
I'm so looking forward to my Camino. This is the first time I've actually looked forward to something since loosing David w

Buen Camino w

Hello Mrs. DD

I am sorry to read about your lost at such a young age. I lost a grade school friend of 30 years, who passed away due to cancer at the same age, so I understand and appreciate your pain and sorrow.

I have walked the frances route twice; once in May with my wife in 2007 and again mid May to mid June in 2011 by myself.

Weather being what can be (this past April and May it was unseasonably cold), you may encounter some rainy and even cold days and then you may experience some relatively warm days but overall you probably enjoy more often, long sunny mild days throughout most of your walk.

I still believe May and June, in my humble opinion, are the best months to walk the camino.

Hi!

I will be walking from SJDP starting May 27th, 2014, going all the way to Finisterre. I leave Madrid back to the US on July 5th...so I hope I can complete it all including a little sight seeing.
Rosemary
Wow, I've not booked my flight yet or coach?
I was thinking of going mid May? I will deffo take you up on the beer should we meet. That would be great.
I'm trying to get my equipment together now. And I'll hopefully book flight in December? Then it will be so exciting, I really can't wait to go. I'm sure you feel the same x

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Mrs DD,
I wish I had an answer for you but you're asking the proverbial crystal ball question. Have you tried using the 'Search Forums' link top left of the page using 'weather' as the key word?

I too am walking May-June (starting 25th May from StJPP) and for what it's worth, based on what I've learned here, I'm going prepared for rain at times with generally warm weather. That said, we're talking about weather here, so who knows huh?

As for sorting your head out, I truly hope you start to find what you hope for, whatever form that may take and, if you need someone to listen It seems to me you'll find people who will understand your thoughts - or at least try to - and at the very least be prepared to listen.

As for other advice, fill your boots so to speak with the great advice from truly marvellous people on this forum.

Buen Camino.
John, I am starting about the same time as you. Certainly do hope to get a chance to meet you and walk aways together. Ed

Buen Camino w
Hello Mrs. DD, I as well will be starting my Camino in May. Not sure the date but between mid towards end of May...So I am really TBD on the date ha ha. :). Anyhow, I have never done the Camino but what I have read from those that have, we should have relatively warmish weather and some or loads of rain....Only issue would be going over the Mountains when we start with cold weather and maybe snow. Seems as though once we get thru the first two days we should be fine. Time and the walk will tell however. Buen Camino.

Mr. Ed

Same as me I've never walked the Camino before, well your on the forum I'm bound to catch up with you, it will be such a great journey. Can't wait to go. Hopefully see ya there :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Same as me I've never walked the Camino before, well your on the forum I'm bound to catch up with you, it will be such a great journey. Can't wait to go. Hopefully see ya there :)
Whatever you decide, once you get the ticket....it will feel as though your camino has started. Yes! I am very excited and so hope we can meet for a beer (or two):rolleyes: Rosemary

Lucky people! It's not just the weather that's good about May. It's all the wild flowers all along the way, and the stampede for beds hasn't really started... Buenos Caminos! :)

...once you get the ticket....it will feel as though your camino has started....

He, he, that is so correct in many ways, but I shall give you two points (maybe three):

1) Ticket is ordered, paid, and a fixed date has been set: You will go on that day. Point of no return has been achieved. It is a relief. Your Camino has now begun.
2) The rest of your planning can begin with the confidence that you are going. It is now real. And you will be swarming this forum, but that's OK. We are here for you.

Do the ticket ordering as soon as you can. The rest will be great fun. And I am sure both of you will be sending down a beer or two, make dinners together in the albergue kitchens, singing and drinking wine together, making new friends (some forever), and wondering what the heck you were worrying about, since you are living such a free and giving new life, healing your souls and finding new meanings.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I have walked every May since 2011 and May is a mixed bag! o_O As far as SJPDP, , I would say after May 21st the probability of sunny weather starts going up. Last May (mid) I walked from Logroño to Burgos and never saw one hour of sunlight; misty rain every day. I went back a couple of weeks ago and walked the Meseta and had to use sunscreen every day...Go figure.

Weather in Northern Spain is the luck of the draw.....

That said, if the Camino is calling, do answer! I know we all can't stop talking about it, but the truth is the Camino experience is beyond words...

Hi!

Rosemary

I am starting at the same time! I just booked my plane tickets last week. Hopefully to see you there!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mrs DD.
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Perhaps there will be days rain that reflect your emotional state, but overall I wish you many days filled sunshine and hope. I'll be around then too - hope to meet up with you (look out for the lady with 4 kids tagging along and do be sure to say hi if you see us - introduce yourself as Mrs DD and we'll know who you are! BTW, I have a forum badge on my pack) Have you seen the calendar on the forum? You can see who will be around at the same time as you.

Very sorry about your loss.
I can understand your desire to walk to Camino to clear your head.
All the previous postings are good and correct.
I walked the Camino this past May and you may be interested to read about my experiences.
My blog address is at the signature line of this post.
When you decide to do it, you will find that you are in for an adventure you cannot imagine right now. Buen Camino.
Kathy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Mrs DD

I am so sorry for your loss. I think walking the Camino will contribute greatly to getting you through this very sad time. I too will be walking the Camino in May and the planning alone has given me so much to think about. My husband Tom will be coming with me and we hope to start around the 20th or so of May. Like you I thought December would be a good time to book flights.
This forum has been amazing on information and what to bring. Already I'm about 3/4 done on my list of (light) items to bring. I started doing a lot of walking and hoping my training will have me up to speed by the time we leave. I too wish you all the best and look forward to possibly meeting you on the Camino.
Burn Camino

Frances

Buen Camino w
rs DD

Mrs DD,
I started out this year on 27th May. The rain was torrential for the first week, with close to record floods in the Basque Country. Pamplona was hit badly. But after that the temperature rose steadily until it was a searing 38 degrees the day we walked into Santiago. You'll get a mixture of all kinds of weather, particularly during the first stretch. But don't overload with raingear - a good quality, lightweight poncho is all you'll need to keep dry. Pack light to walk light.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Mrs DD,
I'm very sorry for you loss and wish you every strength and comfort over the coming months.
I met quite a few bereaved pilgrims when walking the CF. Indeed some counselling agencies in Holland and France encourage those, especially young families, who have lost a parent/partner, to go on the Camino. I met a dad and his two young daughters of 8 and 12 forging a new way of being together after the death of their mum/wife and an older Dutch woman and her teenage son walking (sometimes together sometimes apart as needed) after the death of their dad/husband.
I think it likely that nearly all pilgrims at some/many times recall and think about significant people in their lives who have died- walking gives us all 'pause for thought'. When I walked the CF for some reason I was very aware of my mother (who died over 30 yrs ago) not in a sorrowful or maudlin way but as a sort of joyful and sustaining 'presence'-as indeed she was in life. On subsequent pilgrimages other people I've lost have come to mind as I walk-and as they do I light a candle and say a prayer for/with each one.

Last edited:
Hello mrs dd,

I am sorry for your loss. You have already started your camino. You will have the full supports of all your camino family.
The period of may/june is a good time to walk the camino. Weather is unpredictable. But normally the camino path is not very crowdwd and the weather will be warmed , and not too hot. You will have the chance to meet many wonderful peregrinos who can lend a hand and at least give moral support.

Good luck on your preparation and god bless. May you find what you are looking for.

Wow, I've not booked my flight yet or coach?
I was thinking of going mid May? I will deffo take you up on the beer should we meet. That would be great.
I'm trying to get my equipment together now. And I'll hopefully book flight in December? Then it will be so exciting, I really can't wait to go. I'm sure you feel the same x
Hey Mrs. DD!
I am walking May 18th from SJPP and will fly home from SDC June 27th. I am a first time walker and am planning for cold rain and cool to warm dry days (2 pair of pants convert to shorts or capris and one pair of light shorts along with rain gear, 1 long sleeve merino top, and two short sleeve tops, etc.).
Hope to meet up with you.
Stefania

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
He, he, that is so correct in many ways, but I shall give you two points (maybe three):

1) Ticket is ordered, paid, and a fixed date has been set: You will go on that day. Point of no return has been achieved. It is a relief. Your Camino has now begun.
2) The rest of your planning can begin with the confidence that you are going. It is now real. And you will be swarming this forum, but that's OK. We are here for you.

Do the ticket ordering as soon as you can. The rest will be great fun. And I am sure both of you will be sending down a beer or two, make dinners together in the albergue kitchens, singing and drinking wine together, making new friends (some forever), and wondering what the heck you were worrying about, since you are living such a free and giving new life, healing your souls and finding new meanings.

Buen Camino!

My friend,that is so true,i only walked just over a week from SJ to Pamplona in sept and already i have made a few friends for life,
i too will go and finish my Camino next May :)))

Hi I've only just seen your message, I will certainly be looking out for you. I've decided to do the Camino for a new charity here in the UK for thought cancer. I will make a page in memory of my husband David on the site just giving so the money goes directly to the charity. I will be creating the page during the week probably on Wednesday I would think. As that's when my son will be coming over to see me ( I'm useless with things like that) hope to see you on ' the way' God bless peace and love and let's hope for good weather xx

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hope to see you along the way Buen Camino :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know I can't wait to book my ticket, just a matter of time as my two eldest are clubbing together to buy it for me as a Christmas gift :p I've decided to walk my Camino for a new charity in the UK for thought cancer. I will be making a just giving page in memory of David. Ill be doing that on Wednesday.
I will put a post on here when it is up and ready. Then my Camino will not only help myself but others too.
I really can't wait till my ticket is booked now. Thanx for your message and Buen Camino :)

Mrs. DD, I lost my husband many years ago, 1980...we were both 38 and had two young children. It was totally unexpected and completely altered my life. I understand and appreciate why you are doing the Camino. I'm starting my walk on May 14th, 2014 from SJPdP. Maybe our paths will cross. This will be my second time on the Camino..spent 3 weeks and walked 230 miles in Fall of 2012. Even before I got home, I knew I'd be going back. Life is so good!!

Mrs dd,

When you finish your camino, while getting your compostela, do ask the staff at the oficina del peregrinos to add the name of your husband to your compostela.

Good luck on your noble cause. Buen camino and may god bless you.

I defiantly will do thank you for letting me know x

The weather last May and early June was abysmal but not typical of spring time in the region. I live near St. Jean Pied de Port and will be posting some anecdotal weather reports during the spring. I am starting the Camino Frances next year on 6 June. Good luck with your trek!

Thanx, I WILL be leaving London on the 29th of may for my Camino. I've yet to book my ticket, should be doing that tomorrow then I know it will seem more real. Can't wait
Buen Camino;)

Sorry for late reply I'm still getting used to forum. It would be great to cross paths along the way I'm defiantly leaving 30th may I've decided just got to get my passport back just realized photo page is ruined. Absolutely gutted. :( but can't wait to book flight now Angie:)

Is your end point at the ocean? As that is what I was originally planning to do as after that long track it would be nice to just stay put by the beach before I get back to London. Sorry for my ignorance but I'm almost sure that's the ocean, oh and it would be great to meet up. I'm sure I could slaughter a beer at any stage of my Camino. I can't wait now to book my ticket.
Buen Camino ;)

Hi I'm sorry for the delay in answering, I am so sorry for your loss. People tell me it gets easier with time. I disagree totally it never gets easier. It makes me sick when people, who I might add are supposed to be my friends have said to me. Oh it's about time you put the past behind ya, move on ya still only young. Who are they to tell me when and even if I'll be ready.
I don't know how you feel but it's each to their own, I personally can't move on. I really feel I need to do this Camino for myself and to help others also as it's a perfect opportunity. It would be great to meet you along the way. I'm leaving and will be in st Jean Pead de Port on the evening of the twentieth (that's how the plans stand right now though could be a fortnight earlier) if are paths do cross, I could do with a female tent buddy to crash with the odd night to save a bit of money along the way and also I'd crap myself in the tent in the middle of a dark field on me own lol. It would be cool if you would volunteer a night or two lol. I'm sure it won't be that hard to find someone (female) to crash with me. EveRyone on here is so lovely, I've had help with boots another lady is sending me a couple of t-shirts and socks, though I'm not sure she has. And I don't blame her the cost from America is outrageous.
Hope to see ya along the way
Buen Camino:) Angie

Hi!

Rosemary

Hi Rosemary, I'm trying to follow all the lads and lasses that will be walking the Camino around the same time as me. I hope you wouldn't mind this? Can you please let me know how I can do this, kind regards Angie
Look forward to hearing from you
God bless, peace and love Andrea xx :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mrs. DD, have you found the calendar / event tab here on the forum http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/events/monthly ? SY

Hi Rosemary, I'm trying to follow all the lads and lasses that will be walking the Camino around the same time as me. I hope you wouldn't mind this? Can you please let me know how I can do this, kind regards Angie
Look forward to hearing from you
God bless, peace and love Andrea xx :)

Hi Mrs. DD

Just to tease you or simply inspire you - here are some photos from my 2011 walk (mid May to the end of June)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/113275942061875339803/albums/5786976253839444097

Cheers

WOW! certainly inspiring! was suprised to notice the mix in the weather judging by the attire on a given day, looked quite cold on some days...
So, I guess we are in store for rain (heavy and light) sunny, not so sunny, fog and mist, cold but not freezing...the lot!
Oh I am starting 1st May :)
Blessings
Blu

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.