• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino wedding

peacewalkers

Does anyone know what it takes to get married on the Camino? Anyone know someone who could perform the marriage? ps; it's a secret... Thanks!! :wink:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Peacewalkers - it is the same as getting married anywhere else in the world! There is a residence period and the legal format of applying to be married and then the marriage and registration of it . If you want to be married in church you need to deal with the Church - in Spain normally the Catholic Church as well as the civil authorities. If you are talking about the Camino Frances I am sure you will find there are Registry Offices which perform marriages in the major cities. I don't know where you are but the starting point, it seems to me, would be asking your local Spanish Embassy or Consulate for advice.

If you decide to do this and can sort it all out ....and you want a Catholic Church wedding....thereis a chapel in the Cathedral in Santiago where Pilgrims may get married.

Please let me know whatever you find out because I've planning to propose to Sillydol for a while now and getting hitched en camino would be really approrpiate :)

John

The Canadian government site (http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/sp ... x?lang=eng) says it can`t be done unless one of the couple are resident in Spain. Other sites (http://spainlawyer.com/guialegal/guiale ... O=01010000) are more encouraging. However, one of them had a correspondent writing in to the effect that one should begin planning six months in advance to get the paperwork done.

I do know of one couple who had met on the Camino (I think that it happens quite a bit) and they had their wedding invitation made in the form of a pilgrims`credencial, with sellos marking their journey together. The wedding itself was somewhere in New England, I believe.

Perhaps another board member has personal experience???

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a little experience of my son being married in church outside the UK but within the EU this year. There were a number of additional hurdles to be jumped to prove his existing marital status, religion whether he was baptised and confirmed etc. You cannot just turn up with your partner.

Hmm...it's looking iffy, isn't it? I haven't had time to do much research on my own, and am now thinking it might be easier to simply have a Camino honeymoon! Will post again if I come up with anything useful. Many thanks!

Not too iffy if you are Catholic and want to get married in Santiago:

From the Archdiocese website: http://www.archicompostela.org/web/index_.htm

The Corticela as originally prayed for the implementation, is intended as "Pilgrims and Parish of Foreigners". This feature is increasingly expressive face of progress and increasing the "pilgrimage".

GUIDELINES FOR USERS

1st Contact with the pastor:
C/ Huérfanas, 32
15793-Santiago de Compostela (Coruña)
Spain
Phone: 34-981-586057
Email: corticela@archicompostela.org

2nd this document:
Baptism: - Birth certificates
-Authorization of Pastor respective
Eucharist: - Part of Baptism
-Certificate of Preparation

MARRIAGE:

Set the date and time in time, form of the ceremony, readings, formula consent, charity, etc ... contact the pastor of The Corticela. Flowers, music. arrangements, at will do the parties.
Submit all documentation at least one month in advance.

Documents needed:

Double-file (packed with freedom), held in the parish of origin, duly authenticated in the Bishop himself, and sent to the Bishop of Compostela for its legalization, who send it to the Parish Corticela (Catedral de Santiago).

--Documents for attestation:

Part of Baptism, legalized
Civil birth certificate, Legalized
Legal status of the pair, legalized
Attestation (file size bed).

To deliver after Marriage:
Marriage CertificateTo achieve civil marriage.
Communication parishes of birth, for registration.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found this info for secular weddings in Spain- it seems like if you are not Catholic, one of the partners needs to have been resident in Spain for two years:
"In order for two non-Catholic foreigners to marry in Spain, one must have lived (and have been domiciled) in Spain for at least two years. Marriages are held at Spanish civil registry offices and are presided over by a judge (church weddings for non-Catholics in Spain aren’t legally recognised)."

http://www.justlanded.com/english/Spain/Articles/Visas-Permits/Marriage-divorce-in-Spain
Margaret

Hospitaleros in the donativo albergues are capable of marrying a couple. However, such marriages are only valid for the time you are on the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
skilsaw said:
Hospitaleros in the donativo albergues are capable of marrying a couple. However, such marriages are only valid for the time you are on the Camino.

Where on earth did you get THAT information from??? Anne

annakappa said:
skilsaw said:

Where on earth did you get THAT information from??? Anne

:wink: :wink: I think you missed the humor :wink: :D

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.