• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino with 6 year old July 2023

StClairFam

Time of past OR future Camino
July 23
Gday everyone
Wow this forum is amazing!! And overwhelming so I apologise if I'm putting this in the wrong section!

We are a little family of 3...mum and dad and our 6 year old from Tasmania, Australia. We are wanting to do a section of the Camino for about ten days. We have no idea which section to choose and would appreciate any guidance!
Here is our hopes:

No more than 15 km a day with not really hard walking - some difficulty of terrain is ok!

Ability to have rest days - so perhaps 14 days on the trail but more likely 10 days walking...

Meeting other people but not super super busy?

Ok that's the general gist!
Thanks so much!
Bel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gday everyone
Wow this forum is amazing!! And overwhelming so I apologise if I'm putting this in the wrong section!

We are a little family of 3...mum and dad and our 6 year old from Tasmania, Australia. We are wanting to do a section of the Camino for about ten days. We have no idea which section to choose and would appreciate any guidance!
Here is our hopes:

No more than 15 km a day with not really hard walking - some difficulty of terrain is ok!

Ability to have rest days - so perhaps 14 days on the trail but more likely 10 days walking...

Thanks so much!
Bel
Hi Bel
I had done SJPDP to SDC, Camino da Costa and SJPDP to Pamplona when I had to return home ill but returned to Sarria 3 weeks later to go from Sarria to SDC. All of these were alone. However, on my second Camino two of my granddaughters met me for week in SDC and they fell in love with the idea of the Camino. In May and June of this year the two girls aged 10 and 7 along with my son-in-law went to Morgade and walked the last 100k of Camino Frances. We took 10 days aiming to walk 10k a day and they loved it. We trained them up at home from Christmas 2021 to April when we left. We kitted them out and got them used to carrying their own packs. We never booked ahead and only on one day did we have to walk a little extra to find an alberque. They loved communal alberques and shared meals and other pilgrims made an enormous fuss of them and were so welcoming. I found the big aim was to make it their Camino not mine and to ensure they had fun. They played every night with local children coming to me to find things to say to them as I speak a reasonable amount of Spanish. The older one ploughed on every day with great determination while the younger one held us up to observe every flower and bug along the route. They were also delighted to receive their own Compostelas in SDC. I am an experienced and avid lone hiker but confess this trip was one of the great joys of my life. Go for it. You will not regret it.
Buen Camino
Vince

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We did Sarria to SdC when our daughter was 2.5 and it was fantastic. I have been thinking about going and doing it again with her now that she is 6, also. I'm excited to hear others experiences as you get more replies!

I love the idea of walking with your child! I have seen families on the Camino and have been envious of their opportunity to share the journey.
July is likely to be pretty hot, wherever in Spain you walk. But for interesting walking, with plenty of options for short days and shady stops within those days, pretty villages and culture/history, perhaps Pamplona to Logrono? Both are transport hubs and are interesting cities in their own right.
Good luck and Buen Camino!

My husband and I walked the full Camino Aug-Sept 2022 and had our son, wife and 3 and 6 year old grandsons join us for 4 days. We planned it for Molinaseca and then did Ponferrada, Camponaraya and ended in Villafranca. (That is actually only one stage.). We did a mixture of Albergues and private rooms. The reason I responded. Everyone loved the boys. They couldn’t believe they were walking. They gave them treats and generally wanted to spoil them. Friendly people became that much more friendly. It was amazing. You will love it. Plus. They had no issue running up hills and keeping up! Have a great walk. Marianne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It was 2017, I first encountered an American family of three generations in Logrono, then in the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostella. The youngest one, a boy, was 6 or 7 years old with mild autism.

In the Cathedral, it was crowded, the tired mother sat at the base of a column at the end of the Cathedral holding the boy like the Holy Mother holds her beloved son, Jesus. The scene was loving and moving.

Gday everyone

Here is our hopes:

Thanks so much!
Bel
I'd suggest doing that last 110k from Sarria to Santiago so you can get your compostella but would probably advise going in late September/October to avoid the heat and the crowds. I have a 5 yr old who is very "willfull" who would be the one to set the pace. Keeping that in mind you know your child best and their personality and fortitude.

I've posted this before-- but it is my favorite videos of the camino (le chemin) ever. It is from Le Puy to Le Gers (or a bit past it).

When I first heard about the camino I had two little ones, and this video was close to how I imagined we could walk with our children. Donkeys and mules are more used in France than in Spain.

As for me, I ended up finally walking with my youngest was he was 13. Watching this makes me happy (and wish for grandchildren). :) -- My son and I found that stopping for a chocolate break every afternoon helped us get along.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gday everyone

Here is our hopes:

Thanks so much!
Bel
I would recommend the Portugues, starting Tuy and walking in to SdC. It is about 150km and reasonably flat. The albergues are all great and with the exception of O Porino, the stopping places are beautiful and interesting. It is not super busy but there were enough fellow peregrinos around to make it interesting.

There are a number of forum members who have walked with children who I'm sure will have good advice. In the meantime I've added the tag "children" to the top of this thread. If you click on the tag you will find many threads on the topic.
Thanks so much for this help!!!

Gday everyone

Here is our hopes:

Thanks so much!
Bel
Thanks soooooo much everyone!!! Amazing to see so much encouragement! We are going right at the start of July. Now to decide on the Sarria option or Portuguese!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would recommend the Portugues, starting Tuy and walking in to SdC. It is about 150km and reasonably flat. The albergues are all great and with the exception of O Porino, the stopping places are beautiful and interesting. It is not super busy but there were enough fellow peregrinos around to make it interesting.
This sounds amazing!

There are a number of forum members who have walked with children who I'm sure will have good advice. In the meantime I've added the tag "children" to the top of this thread. If you click on the tag you will find many threads on the topic.
I actually can't see the tag, is it somewhere I'm not seeing? 😆

I've posted this before-- but it is my favorite videos of the camino (le chemin) ever. It is from Le Puy to Le Gers (or a bit past it).

When I first heard about the camino I had two little ones, and this video was close to how I imagined we could walk with our children. Donkeys and mules are more used in France than in Spain.

As for me, I ended up finally walking with my youngest was he was 13. Watching this makes me happy (and wish for grandchildren). :) -- My son and I found that stopping for a chocolate break every afternoon helped us get along.

Incredible!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
trecile,
Is there a list of all tags and if so where is it displayed?

I actually can't see the tag, is it somewhere I'm not seeing?
Look at the top of the thread, just under the title.

Now to decide on the Sarria option or Portuguese!!
You should be aware that July and August are very very busy on the Sarria-Santiago stretch. Many Spaniards take vacation at this time and walk this section of the Camino. You should probably consider planning your itinerary with some care, and making reservations in advance.

I am not so familiar with the situation on the Portuguese route. It wouldn't be as busy as the Frances from Sarria, but reservations might still be advisable for you.

Is there a list of all tags and if so where is it displayed?
See the Advanced Search / Search Tags, or just click here.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I walked in October 2020, I met a family with six children, all, apart from the 2 1/2 yer old, had walked from Le Puy to SDC; I was full of respect and awe - 1500kms! They were a really happy family and certainly very popular with the other pilgrims. I believe that they booked ahead, just to ensure that they could all get beds in the same alberge. Unless you have to walk in July, I too would suggest Sept/Oct or May/June. Walking in July with my grandson this year was great, but we had to leave very early to avoid the intense heat of the day.
What ever you decide, Buen Camino - it will provide memories for a lifetime.

When I walked in October 2020, I met a family with six children, all, apart from the 2 1/2 yer old, had walked from Le Puy to SDC; I was full of respect and awe - 1500kms! They were a really happy family and certainly very popular with the other pilgrims. I believe that they booked ahead, just to ensure that they could all get beds in the same alberge. Unless you have to walk in July, I too would suggest Sept/Oct or May/June. Walking in July with my grandson this year was great, but we had to leave very early to avoid the intense heat of the day.
What ever you decide, Buen Camino - it will provide memories for a lifetime.
Wow 6 kids! Yes, July is the only option for us. How hot was it for you? We get pretty warm in Australia but it could prove too much for our child! I'm more concerned about the amount of people to be honest, I'm just not sure if it will be like a super highway or if there is some more space than this?

Wow 6 kids! Yes, July is the only option for us. How hot was it for you? We get pretty warm in Australia but it could prove too much for our child! I'm more concerned about the amount of people to be honest, I'm just not sure if it will be like a super highway or if there is some more space than this?
When we walked this summer it was 41/42 degrees mid afternoon - for me, that's hot! However, if you are walking shorter days with your six year old, you may be finished by lunch-time (though it was hot then). Certainly, it was busy in July, but maybe this summer was exceptional, being a holy year and the first real year to escape after Covid? A more experienced pilgrim will answer that.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back