• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino with a 1.5 year old May/June 2017

bec roberts

Time of past OR future Camino
may 2017
Hi,
My husband and I and our little girl (she will be 1.5 years old at the time of walking the camino) are thinking of walking to camino in mid May/mid June 2017.
We love to hike and she loves being in the hiking carrier now but might be a bit different as a toddler!
We are planning to take the hiking carrier and a 60 L pack between us. The hiking carrier would carry our daughters clothing etc and rucksack would carry my husbands and my gear.

We have roughly 3.5 weeks to walk including some rest days in that time. Where to start??

We would love to hear from anyone that has walked with toddlers!

Did you stay in private rooms, if not -how was it with your little one?
Did you eat at places along the way or pre-make food for the little one and for dinners??
What items did you take for your toddler, bare essentials?
How much are nappies/wipes along the way? Also, can you buy them in most places?
What distances did you find achievable each day?

Bec

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi,
My husband and I and our little girl (she will be 1.5 years old at the time of walking the camino) are thinking of walking to camino in mid May/mid June 2017.
We love to hike and she loves being in the hiking carrier now but might be a bit different as a toddler!
We are planning to take the hiking carrier and a 60 L pack between us. The hiking carrier would carry our daughters clothing etc and rucksack would carry my husbands and my gear.

We have roughly 3.5 weeks to walk including some rest days in that time. Where to start??

We would love to hear from anyone that has walked with toddlers!

Did you stay in private rooms, if not -how was it with your little one?
Did you eat at places along the way or pre-make food for the little one and for dinners??
What items did you take for your toddler, bare essentials?
How much are nappies/wipes along the way? Also, can you buy them in most places?
What distances did you find achievable each day?

Bec
Bec, first let me go OH WOW !! What a fab idea. And what a lovely, lucky little girl. I haven't walked with MY girl yet but have met a few with infants. My first offer of my two cents would be: keep the luggage to the very bare minimun. 60L is a LOT OF STUFF. You may consider carrying a 35L each, with about 6-7 kilos MAX. And share carrying the baby along the way. You want an experience, not a hard time. I take it this is your first Camino, so I will suggest The English Way. Begin in Ferrol and it would take you 7-8 days of easy walking so you have time to bond together as a family, enjoy the beauty around you, reflect and pray and so on. Baby essentials? Almost everywhere you go. And remember, you're a MOM (and Mom's KNOW !! : ). You'll do great. Have a lovely time. Buen Camino, :) Caesar

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Look for posts by Waveprof. He walked the Camino with his wife, Kipa their toddler, and his mother in law.

I don't remember ever being in an albergue with them but cross paths with them here and there in cafes.

I walked the Frances this past spring, and there was a couple with a baby whom I believe was not quite a year old. I ran into them in albergues a couple of times. They seemed to be doing fine, although I didn't have a conversation with them. They were busy feeding the baby, making their own dinner, and settling her into her new digs. I loved having a baby around.

I believe they had private rooms.

You may want to find albergues not only with some privacy, but maybe a kitchen area too. Although you need to pack as light as possible, you will also need to really think about meals and what you would need to carry if you did a lot of your own cooking, as not all albergues have functioning kitchens with equipment, and perhaps the foods your baby will need are not the kinds of foods you would find in a bar/cafe.

I hope you can come to a workable plan, I think it would be a great experience for your family.

Blessings, Priscilla

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bec, first let me go OH WOW !! What a fab idea. And what a lovely, lucky little girl. I haven't walked with MY girl yet but have met a few with infants. My first offer of my two cents would be: keep the luggage to the very bare minimun. 60L is a LOT OF STUFF. You may consider carrying a 35L each, with about 6-7 kilos MAX. And share carrying the baby along the way. You want an experience, not a hard time. I take it this is your first Camino, so I will suggest The English Way. Begin in Ferrol and it would take you 7-8 days of easy walking so you have time to bond together as a family, enjoy the beauty around you, reflect and pray and so on. Baby essentials? Almost everywhere you go. And remember, you're a MOM (and Mom's KNOW !! : ). You'll do great. Have a lovely time. Buen Camino, :) Caesar

Thanks for your message !

60L will be between us but using 1 Pack as one of us will be carrying the hiking pack with our daughter in it plus her clothing and baby items. We could go 50L pack, i guess it's laying out everything we need and packing it.
We are very outdoorsy people and experienced in carrying rucksacks, but yes i understand packing light and making it enjoyable!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back