• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino with an English Choir

petergam

Time of past OR future Camino
May 25 2014
My adult chamber choir (24 singers) is performing in A Coruna on 25th May, Betanzos on 26th and then in Santiago on 29th and 30th. We'd be grateful for advice on any "mustn't miss sites" for us to visit on 27th and 28th as we travel (by coach and, occasionally, walking) en route to Santiago.
The choir consists mainly of Christians and the majority of our repertoire is sacred music, mostly from the Renaissance period. We have a long tradition of working with Spanish music, including a close relationship with Rodrigo when he was alive.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Peter

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sounds wonderful! What a treat. I love sacred choral music. What about driving the bus to O'Cebreiro and letting the choir walk to the monastery at Sarria? That would be appropriate and give them a real taste of the walking pilgrim experience. Plus they would meet many of the long distance walkers on the way.

My adult chamber choir (24 singers) is performing in A Coruna on 25th May, Betanzos on 26th and then in Santiago on 29th and 30th. We'd be grateful for advice on any "mustn't miss sites" for us to visit on 27th and 28th as we travel (by coach and, occasionally, walking) en route to Santiago.
The choir consists mainly of Christians and the majority of our repertoire is sacred music, mostly from the Renaissance period. We have a long tradition of working with Spanish music, including a close relationship with Rodrigo when he was alive.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Peter
We are arriving into Santiago on Friday, where will you be performing? It would be great to hear you all
Enjoy your camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you very much for your replies. I've looked at the O'Cebreiro to Sarria walk but it looks a little longer than we have time for (I guess we can fit in about half a day's walking). We might try some of it, though - and see if we can sing in the monastery. On Thursday 29th, we're singing in Iglesia de San Francisco in Santiago at 21.00 and on Friday 30th, we're singing during the pilgrim's mass in the cathedral at 12.00 and then singing a recital after the mass. Judydaisy - please come and introduce yourself - we'd be delighted to meet you.
If anyone's interested, we're singing music by Rodrigo, Guerrero, Victoria, Byrd and Tallis.

If you only have a half day's walking then maybe Betanzos to Casa Julia would work for you. If you phone Casa Julia you might be able to ask for a meal, then have your transport collect you. Alternatively be picked up at Casa Julia and go into Meson de Vento for a meal, then on to your accomodation.
Directions for the route, Casa Julia etc are in the downloadable CSJ Camino Inglés guide - see the resources section of this forum.

If you only have a half day's walking then maybe Betanzos to Casa Julia would work for you. If you phone Casa Julia you might be able to ask for a meal, then have your transport collect you. Alternatively be picked up at Casa Julia and go into Meson de Vento for a meal, then on to your accomodation.
Directions for the route, Casa Julia etc are in the downloadable CSJ Camino Inglés guide - see the resources section of this forum.

Thank you for this suggestion - it sounds exactly the sort of thing we're looking for.
We also love to sing in large churches or monasteries (they have the right acoustic for Renaissance music) so if anyone knows of any such places on the Camino between La Coruna and Santiago, I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I may well be in Santiago on those days - will try to come and listen to you.
Blessings from Suffolk ....
Buen camino!

I may well be in Santiago on those days - will try to come and listen to you.
Blessings from Suffolk ....
Buen camino!

Hope to see you there, Stephen. The choir's called The Renaissance Choir and we hope to have a few posters around the city.
One of the pieces we're going to sing is from the Codex Calixtinus, which you probably know is an 11th century guide to the Camino and includes some of the music of the period. It's such a privilege for us to be able to sing this in the Cathedral, along with other music of praise and thanksgiving.

Thank you very much for your replies. I've looked at the O'Cebreiro to Sarria walk but it looks a little longer than we have time for (I guess we can fit in about half a day's walking). We might try some of it, though - and see if we can sing in the monastery. On Thursday 29th, we're singing in Iglesia de San Francisco in Santiago at 21.00 and on Friday 30th, we're singing during the pilgrim's mass in the cathedral at 12.00 and then singing a recital after the mass. Judydaisy - please come and introduce yourself - we'd be delighted to meet you.
If anyone's interested, we're singing music by Rodrigo, Guerrero, Victoria, Byrd and Tallis.
Would love to but guess we won't arrive to Santiago until mid/late afternoon. Had hoped it might be an evening recital. Never mind. Wishing you all the very best and hope you have a great time.
Buen Camino to you all

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year we were in Naron on the 22nd May and it was St Rita's day and there was a lovely service held in the evening in St Rita's church, everyone took roses. Another option could be to walk from Naron to Pontedueme and stop on the beach for a drink [if the bars are open, recently they were all closed] at Cabanas. The church of Santiago in Pontedueme is worth a visit, services are usually held in the evening in a small chapel near the back of the altar, I think the priest lives opposite the church but Hostel Luis had a newsletter with times of services on.
3kms outside of Pontedueme is the 12th century church of San Miguel de Breamo, I have'nt visited this but if you have transport this could be another option.
Your trip sounds wonderful.
Liz

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back