• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino with my 9 yr old

mark stevens

Time of past OR future Camino
back on the Frances in May 2022
I’ve done lots of Caminos and normally go every year but for 2023 I’m taking my 9 yr old and we’re doing SJPP to Pamplona as an h trip for him. Taking it slow which will be a challenge for me and just looking forward to being with him on the trail.

Has anyone else walked with a young child ?

Mark from Followtheyellowshell.com

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I’ve done lots of Caminos and normally go every year but for 2023 I’m taking my 9 yr old and we’re doing SJPP to Pamplona as an h trip for him. Taking it slow which will be a challenge for me and just looking forward to being with him on the trail.

Quite a few young families have walked and have posted on the forum.
Read some of the posts from two families that come to mind walking with a number of small children:
@Kiwi-family also. @shefollowsshells

Regarding slowing down for your 9 year old / I’m sure if he decided to run 🏃‍♀️- he could get way ahead of you. 😁🤣

My 5 year old granddaughter can outstrip me in a minute if she decides to run.

It sounds like a beautiful adventure awaits.
Buen camino

The tag "children" has been added to this thread. (Look under the thread title.) If you click on that tag, you will get many threads that talk about walking with children.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I did le puy to Finesterre with my 9,11, 13,15,17… three months…slept outside 80 percent of the time. you might be pleasantly surprised that your nine year old might not slow you down… two years later my 9 year old ( female, not like it really matters), was 11 when we did the GR11 that’s the Pyrenees, it kicked my boogie, my 11 year old flew through!
Enjoy! I treasure my multiple Caminos with multiple children as some of my greatest moments in life!

I recently walked the Norte with my 10 year old daughter and she was totally able to keep up with my pace, but she enjoyed taking it slower, and noticed so many bugs and sights along the way that I would have missed. And she enjoyed taking lots of breaks, and needed them when the weather was hot. When my 12 year old son joined us 2 weeks later he was so fast, we could barely keep up with him. So it's temperament I think as much as age or fitness I think and finding the rhythm that works for you both together. But definitely at the end of each day, the kids were still jumping around like they hadn't walked at all, while I was stiff and tired.

HI Mark
Like you I have walked a few Caminos and on one two of my granddaughters came out to meet me in Santiago. Last October I had to cancel a walk due to a family bereavement and at Christmas my daughter asked if the next time I walked the girls could meet me again and maybe walk for a couple of days. I suggested that if they could walk 10k a day for 10 days we could walk from Morgade to SDC and they could get their own Compostelas. They are 10 and 7 and they jumped at the opportunity. My son-in-law agreed to accompany us. From the new year we started training them with family walks and getting them used to carrying packs. We started on 29th May and finished on 7th June. They got up every morning packed up and walked. It was slow and for someone used to walking alone it took some getting used to but once you focus on the fact that it is their Camino it becomes an absolute joy. They loved meeting other pilgrims; other pilgrims really welcomed them, and they really enjoyed the communal life in various alberques. We did not book ahead and only on one day did we have to walk on about 3k but were able to adjust the next days to compensate. I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life to do the Camino and spend all that time with them.
Buen Camino
Vince

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Quite a few young families have walked and have posted on the forum.
Read some of the posts from two families that come to mind walking with a number of small children:
@Kiwi-family also. @shefollowsshells

Regarding slowing down for your 9 year old / I’m sure if he decided to run 🏃‍♀️- he could get way ahead of you. 😁🤣

My 5 year old granddaughter can outstrip me in a minute if she decides to run.

It sounds like a beautiful adventure awaits.
Buen camino
Thank you. I literally can’t wait

Mark. I am anxious to hear how this goes for you. I am taking my grandson on a short Camino in May. He will have just turned 10. My son in law will also be going. When I did SJPP to Santiago in 2017 I only encountered two examples of children on the Camino so I am trying to learn and prep as much as I can. Like you I am so looking forward to sharing the experience with the boys.

Mark. I am anxious to hear how this goes for you. I am taking my grandson on a short Camino in May. He will have just turned 10. My son in law will also be going. When I did SJPP to Santiago in 2017 I only encountered two examples of children on the Camino so I am trying to learn and prep as much as I can. Like you I am so looking forward to sharing the experience with the boys.
Hey Tim. I did my first camino in 2016 and only encountered 1 family with kids and they had a blast.

We walk quite a bit in the UK and he’ll be ready I’m sure although day 1 from SJPP may be tough. We’re gonna stop over at Orisson as I love it there then roncesvalles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.