• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino withdrawal symptoms help is here

MarkyD

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018
There is a great vlog series on YouTube at the moment, another series by, the by now legendary, Efrén González. This time he's posting regular uploads on his stages along the Camino del Norte, which he completed in 2019. It makes for great viewing.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lovely, I shared it this morning. I was luck enough to stay in Laredo for several nights during the Rugby World Cup and commuted to Bilboa to watch the final matches. I ventured on as far as Santander but the lousy weather and crush for beds forced me to take a train to Fromista and join up with CF. Back tracked to Eduardo's and then continued on south down the Canal de Castilla to eventually hook with the Camino Madrid back north to Sahagun.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've enjoyed his Vlog series of Caminoes since the first few of the Frances were published on YouTube. Both Jill and I have now watched all of them together. We recently finished the Via Francigena series and the latest Norte installments.

A fun, running joke for us, is to guess how extensive and frequently he will cover doing his laundry PRIOR to watching an episode :)

I have started his series today and watched the first four episodes of his nine videos on the Norte and love them! I'm so happy to have seen this thread. I love Efran's personality, the beautiful scenery, his wonderful commentary filled with cute moments of humor, his excellent artistic approach and great video quality!
It brought back many of my own memories from this outstanding Camino!

I realized after watching his frances vlog we walked within a day or two of each other in 2017 and were even in a couple places at the same time. Never did meet him but it does lend an extra special connection back to my own walk. Also, I swear I remember someone mentioning "the drone guy" but I cant be sure that isnt just a false memory after watching. Great vlogs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not sure, but think I maybe recall @davebugg mentioning he helped Efran with "something" video related quite awhile back possibly on the Frances route, but never checked it out at that time...Dave?

Not sure, but think I maybe recall @davebugg mentioning he helped Efran with "something" video related quite awhile back possibly on the Frances route, but never checked it out at that time...Dave?

It wasn't on the Frances during Camino, but it was during the time he was preparing for the Via Francigena.

I had emailed Efren a few times about how much I enjoyed the Frances Vlogs he had been publishing on YouTube. As we emailed a few times, Efren mentioned doing the VF, and somehow we got into a bit of a discussion about his concerns about the potential load weights he would be hauling. . . . this was a bit before his discovery of the cart/trolley he used.

I suggested that he look at the zPacks Duplex tent after I learned that a few tents he was considering were almost triple the weight of the Duplex. I had even offered to loan him mine. Efren didn't want to hassle with a loan situation, especially his concern about accidental damage, theft, etc.

What I ended up doing, was donating to him half of the cost of a new Duplex and let him know that the donation was his, even IF that wasn't the tent he ended up with.

So that may have helped him out, although it did not seem that he actually ended up needing a tent much at all. :)

Efren does a pretty good review of the tent:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I realized after watching his frances vlog we walked within a day or two of each other in 2017 and were even in a couple places at the same time. Never did meet him but it does lend an extra special connection back to my own walk. Also, I swear I remember someone mentioning "the drone guy" but I cant be sure that isnt just a false memory after watching. Great vlogs.
Yeah, he was known as "the drone guy" when he did his first Camino vlog series on the Francés in 2017, because he was possibly one of the first to be seen using a drone to capture some stunning aerial shots while walking the Camino.
Since then he's completed the Camino Portugués, Camino del Norte and Via Francigena. This latest vlog of the Camino del Norte is his latest upload, which he uploads a new stage every few days. You can access all of his vlog series via his YouTube channel. It's great to relive the old memories or get inspiration for the next Camino epic adventure!

Am I the only one who doesn't want to watch these types of videos because it makes the Camino longing too intense?
If I had a date certain that I could return to the Camino I would watch, but without knowing when, I prefer to not torture myself.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to watch these types of videos because it makes the Camino longing too intense?
If I had a date certain that I could return to the Camino I would watch, but without knowing when, I prefer to not torture myself.
For me, a quality video like Efran's is more of an uplift as I am mostly in self isolation apart from walking my nearby trail with a family member, or a close friend(6'apart). It's giving me something else to occupy myself besides the usual, although I only watch a few segments at a time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I go back and forth on that . . . I can't wait to watch Efren's ( yet, again :) ) and John Sikora's, assorted others., and then I get a bit sad and wonder how soon things will be up and Pilgrimy again.

The thing for me, is that with an increase in the quality Vlogs appearing, it makes me impatient and too critical of much of the other Camino YouTube stuff published. Efren's vlog's are like an Oasis in the vlog desert in terms of creativity and editing and personality and scenery.

I hope that wasn't too negative. I do appreciate a lot of the efforts, especially because this is not about the Oscars. But I do admit that I appreciate the quality of some efforts, more than others :)

If anyone has other RECENT favorites from YouTube ( I've seen quite a lot of those older than 2017, Sara's included), I'd like to know so that I can see if I've missed any.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back