• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino without alcohol?

RevBarbaraG

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018)
I’m not teetotal, but I drink only very occasionally. The idea of drinking vino tinto/ cerveza every single evening doesn’t appeal at all, though an occasional one will be nice. Is this going to be an issue? I’ve read that a lot of pilgrim menus include wine, but if you don’t want wine are you still going to be charged for it?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just to add, that, in my experience, many pilgrims do not take the wine. It is often 50% take wine and 50% take the bottled water. Note that if you ask for a soft drink, like coca cola or lemonade, you will probably have to pay for that, and it is usually more expensive than a glass of wine in a bar!
Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m not teetotal, but I drink only very occasionally. The idea of drinking vino tinto/ cerveza every single evening doesn’t appeal at all, though an occasional one will be nice. Is this going to be an issue? I’ve read that a lot of pilgrim menus include wine, but if you don’t want wine are you still going to be charged for it?

Nope, no issue. Water, soda, juice are generally also available. I do not drink at all and never felt odd about skipping the offered wine and choosing something else.

The menu peregrino or menu del dia usually has a single set price which includes wine or water. Sometimes there is an option of beer or a soft drink instead. In any case the price will be the same whichever drink you choose. Many Spanish people choose water rather than wine - especially at lunchtime. No one will find your choice surprising.

As bradypus says the pilgrim meals are fixed price so includes it all, but the price you pay is so low that , even though I did not drink, it was worth it
There are half meals not listed - you have to ask- that allow 1 entre so a more reasonable volume and less expensive
Besides other pilgrims will enjoy the bottle you don’t drink!

I don't drink wine or milk and I was worried that I would have problems finding an alternative with meals...at breakfast there was always juice and water...I never saw any wine or beer at lunch but there was always 1-liter cold bottled water...but at dinner it was either a bottle of wine or all the wine you could drink...if it was a bottle of wine I usually passed it to the young Pilgrims at the next table at the end of my meal...otherwise if it was wine by the glass I would drink half at the end of my meal so the the glass would not be refilled...lastly...if you are handed a "special glass of wine" by your host please drink it because they will feel insulted if you don't appreciate the offer...so I drank about a dozen glasses of wine but received many more "thank yous" for sharing the bottled wine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife is a teatotaller, and I'm more like you. We have done the Camino Frances two times ('14 & '17) and it is no issue. You simply swap the wine for water. My guess is that at any given meal 20% of the people choose water.

And if you decide to have a soft drink, the traditional Spanish lemon soda, KAS Limon, is delicious - so refreshing. What I like to do is have a large drink of water first and then open the can of KAS - then I can slowly sip it - otherwise it's gone way too quickly!
Buen Camino RevBarbaraG - Take joy in every step.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a problem for us water drinkers when with a larger group at dinner.
The majority will order the wine and just you or another will order water.

The problem arises when they bring the water along with the wine. It seems that everyone pours a quick glass of water before starting on the wine. I have been left with an empty liter of water before I could get any, many times. I now confiscate the water as soon as it arrives. ;)

lastly...if you are handed a "special glass of wine" by your host please drink it because they will feel insulted if you don't appreciate the offer...so I drank about a dozen glasses of wine but received many more "thank yous" for sharing the bottled wine.
I must then insulted a lot of people on my camino as I don't drink alcohol at all and always say no thank to any offerings including alcohol. I think it must be up to each individual if they want to drink wine. I dare to question the alcohol norm that says that everyone drinks now and then. I don't and I'm not pregnant nor sick and it should be just fine with me saying no thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I drink very little alcohol in Australia. One glass of red or white wine is enough to make me feel tipsy however on the Camino I could drink the whole carafe on my own easily. Something about the grapes being new not mature. I enjoyed the pilgrims meals however am not a fussy eater.

It was normal for our friends in Spain to bring me a bottle of wine and a glass, and it was normal for me to say thanks but no thanks [and they would take the bottle and the glass back, no issues]. Buena suerte [with or without the vino tinto] y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Hi Barbara, I'm certainly not a teetotaler, however, I decided to abstain for the 5 weeks of the walk and save my celebratory drink for Santiago. I quite enjoyed it. Some pilgrims meals do include wine or beer, but I doubt you'll get a credit for having a Coke instead of wine. The pilgrims meals are quite hearty and in the range of 13 - 15 euros.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I must then insulted a lot of people on my camino as I don't drink alcohol

I know how you feel...I don't drink wine but Scotch is another subject...Spain is the 5th largest importer of Single Malt Scotch...and on my last Camino I felt personally insulted that I was never offered a good Scotch.

I drink very little alcohol in Australia. One glass of red or white wine is enough to make me feel tipsy however on the Camino I could drink the whole carafe on my own easily. Something about the grapes being new not mature. I enjoyed the pilgrims meals however am not a fussy eater.

I came in to say something similar. The Spanish wines you get with set meals are younger, and much lower in alcohol than a standard bottle.

I wasn't paying close attention, but it seemed that at most meals we had a mix of water-drinkers and wine-drinkers. And usually we'd naturally find each other, so that half-way through dinner one side of the table would have an empty carafe of wine and a full carafe of water, while the other side would have an untouched carafe of wine and an empty one of water.

I’m not teetotal, but I drink only very occasionally. The idea of drinking vino tinto/ cerveza every single evening doesn’t appeal at all, though an occasional one will be nice. Is this going to be an issue? I’ve read that a lot of pilgrim menus include wine, but if you don’t want wine are you still going to be charged for it?[/Quote
The pilgrims menu is usually 3 course and all inclusive...wine and water and bread as well..its not broken down into items like an a la carte menu...simple answer is yes. In saying that many many people don't drink alcohol on the camino...would hate you to think it's a 35 day party...pilgrims meal starts at 6pm finished by 7/7.30 at the latest.
Hope this helps..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Barbara, I'm certainly not a teetotaler, however, I decided to abstain for the 5 weeks of the walk and save my celebratory drink for Santiago. I quite enjoyed it. Some pilgrims meals do include wine or beer, but I doubt you'll get a credit for having a Coke instead of wine. The pilgrims meals are quite hearty and in the range of 13 - 15 euros.
Not only will you not get credit for having Coke instead of wine, you'll pay more for the Coke.

I found it quite amusing that in many places bottled water was sometimes more expensive than wine . In these cases you would have an economic advantage :)
Perhaps you might have to consider subsidising the wine drinkers :D

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I drink very rarely-- maybe one glass of wine every few months. I walked with my 14 year old son, so when the choice at the meal was wine or water, we chose water. I had a glass of wine a few times on the camino, but the next day I could feel it. No one pressured me to drink the vino or a beer. (Oh wait, two australian blokes bought me a beer because my last name is Kelley.-- They were being nice, and the beer did taste good on that hot day.)

Is this going to be an issue? I’ve read that a lot of pilgrim menus include wine, but if you don’t want wine are you still going to be charged for it?
Not at all, in my experience.
As others have said, there's water for those of is who don't drink. The only friction comes when wine drinkers feel entitled to the water as well, thinking it's 'free.' Then it boils down to accessing whatever skills you have in non-violent but clear communication.;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't drink at all and found it to be an absolutely non-issue on the Camino.
Am wondering about those people who think it is rude to refuse a drink. No, it isn't rude at all, that is only your personal opinion.

(Oh wait, two Australian blokes bought me a beer because my last name is Kelley.-- They were being nice, and the beer did taste good on that hot day.)

What else did you expect , they were Australian !:)

€46,-
In many places, the pilgrim menu lists "vino, agua o bebida". In bigger cities, the drinks often include diet Coke, and I've also been served suger-free Casera.

Note that the tap water in Spain is safe and mostly quite good, especially if it's cold.

If I'm walking with my husband, we usually ask for water AND wine, and leave half the wine bottle.

Ask for Mosto, it is a delicious non-alcoholic juice sort of like Martinelli's sparkling cider. I don't drink either.
I like a day when I learn something new.
Thanks, @ nycwalking!

And looking around I found this site, which has a useful list of non-alcohol options for drinking.
My personal favorites are there: Kas (bitter or limon), and freshly squeezed orange juice, available everywhere and the best pick-me-up in the world at about 11 in the morning when you're part of the way to your destination and the energy has fallen through the floor.

Water water everywhere. As a Irishman who never drank a Guinness or whiskey pilgrims think I am mad. As a doctor once said to me What’s wrong with Water buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Excellent, thank you all for the reassurance
As I walked with a friend we were able to order one wine and one water then we could share.

I think the answer must be, all things in moderation.

... Of course you could do with it what this charming man does with his wine (I think this is in Hontanas...we were fortunate to meet him and see his ‘show’....). .... I just had to jump in on this

Attachments

• 0192A4AE-5F55-4C8B-8E68-27E8FA191632.jpeg
    0192A4AE-5F55-4C8B-8E68-27E8FA191632.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 76
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I came in to say something similar. The Spanish wines you get with set meals are younger, and much lower in alcohol than a standard bottle.

I wasn't paying close attention, but it seemed that at most meals we had a mix of water-drinkers and wine-drinkers. And usually we'd naturally find each other, so that half-way through dinner one side of the table would have an empty carafe of wine and a full carafe of water, while the other side would have an untouched carafe of wine and an empty one of water.
... Of course you could do with it what this charming man does with his wine (I think this is in Hontanas...we were fortunate to meet him and see his ‘show’....). .... I just had to jump in on this
Uhhh, no thanks. I hope I never run into that guy! ;)

You can certainly ask for a bebida (soft drink) such as Coca Cola, Fanta, etc. Most of us find that these beverages cost as much, or slightly more than a beer / cerveza.

But, to each his or her own... You do your own Camino...

Is this the famous albergue owner who could down a carafe in one single pouring? I heard last fall on the Camino that he was a local legend but unfortunately had slipped his mortal coil. Is he still alive?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not at all, in my experience.
As others have said, there's water for those of is who don't drink. The only friction comes when wine drinkers feel entitled to the water as well, thinking it's 'free.' Then it boils down to accessing whatever skills you have in non-violent but clear communication.;)
Or you could be like me and just share your water. I run out I just buy another one

We drank a fair bit of wine on our Camino but there were plenty of others that didn't. It is a wonderful experience however you decide your way is! There is some rather lovely wine along the route though

Buen Camino

No, not at all. The choice is wine OR water. (But not both.)
Jill
I almost always got both. The wine is basically free, you pay the same wine or no wine so not compulsory to drink it all. I found that particularly in Rioja, the wine tasted a lot better than store bought stuff at home. So try it, and ask for the water too, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Maybe try a Clara, sometimes known as cerveza con límon. Basically 50% Fanta lemon and 50% beer. Very refreshing and does not leave a beer type after taste. Tinto de verrano is another if you dont want straight wine. It is once again Lemon with wine rather than beer. Also quite refreshing on a hot day. Or simple Gaseoso. It is only sparkling water but I enjoyed it as an occasional break from wine

That’s the plan.... plus tea and coffee

Coffee, tea, water, vino tinto, all good. But some people can't/don't want/not interested in alcohol. So no problem with coffee, tea, or water on the Camino. Especially coffee!

I have been drinking my coffee black for close to 30 years (I like the taste of the coffee itself, thank you very much ). But on the Camino? Cafe con leche all the way! If you order the menu del dia or menu peregrino, it will cost you extra. Worth. Every. Cent.

There are other options with a Pilgrim 's meal.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Now you all are confusing me about water! Do restaurant owners really limit how much water they serve a table?
We are talking about bottled water here, which is part of the pilgrim meal or menu del dia. You have a choice of still water (sin gas) or carbonated (con gas). You will only get tap water (which is safe in Spain) if you ask for it specifically, and it would be free.

Now you all are confusing me about water! Do restaurant owners really limit how much water they serve a table?
Just to expand a little on what @C clearly wrote earlier: if you ask for water with a meal unless you ask quite explicitly for tap water you will almost certainly be served bottled water. If you have asked for water in addition to another drink such as wine already provided as part of the menu then that bottled water will be added to the bill and may be surprisingly expensive in relation to the set menu price. And just to anticipate another question: asking for tap water instead of bottled water with your menu will not reduce the price of the meal.

Is this the famous albergue owner who could down a carafe in one single pouring? I heard last fall on the Camino that he was a local legend but unfortunately had slipped his mortal coil. Is he still alive?
Hi ManInBlack..... yes, I believe that is the man...when we were there (June 2016) they told us he ‘retired’ and didn’t do his evening ‘pourings’ - he happened to be there that evening and ‘voila!’.... I was delighted!

€60,-
Excellent, thank you all for the reassurance
I totally abstain from alcohol.....has never been an issue. I prefer aqua con gas (sparkling water) and Aquarius! Yes, whether you drink wino or water, you will pay for a Pilgrim's menu. Buen Camino!

Camino with no wine? That makes the whole pilgrimage thing seem like one long unrelenting slog across Spain! So some of you can walk by vineyard's and wineries all day long and not desire or drink any wine? I admire your strength of character greatly!
Wish I had walked with some of the non-drinkers as I would have been happy to help you deal with this wine issue.
Now many of you are probably thinking that I drink too much...maybe so. But seriously, we found the Spanish wine generally pretty decent overall and with a fairly low alcohol content. It is also probably a more natural pain reliever than most of the over the counter medications.
Worked for me in any case.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you value your sanity, stay away from the orujo!
Generally when I describe Camino life, most of my friends that have never walked and have no intention of walking think my wife and I are completely insane!
Why they ask, would you walk a Camino versus a nice resort holiday or a cruise?
Yeah, orujo I think is the Spanish version of 'white lightning'...if wine is not killing the pain, orujo will get the job done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Camino Frances a couple of years ago and am teetotal. All menus where wine is included will substitute a soft drink so not a problem. And as with life ingeneral one does not have to drink to have a good time. Enjoy your Camino and jugo de naranja. Buen Camino.

Generally when I describe Camino life, most of my friends that have never walked and have no intention of walking think my wife and I are completely insane!
Why would you walk a Camino versus a nice resort holiday or a cruise?
Yeah, orujo I think is the Spanish version of 'white lightning'...if wine is not killing the pain, orujo will get the job done!
Why go on a resort holiday or cruise when you can walk a Camino! :):):)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well now, RevBarbaraG, all those great replies and you will practise saying 'not the wine thank you, a carafe of water please' in perfect Castilian Spanish, and you will be sitting there, all content and sorted and Jesus will join you unexpectedly, look at the carafe and Dang! Wine!

But - many pilgrims do not have the wine, as mentioned above, and another way of looking at it is that you pay for a pilgrim meal and they throw the wine in for free. What is absolutely certain is that no one will look at you and wonder why you aren't drinking alcohol (and your legs will be stronger next day if you don't, too).

Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After some thought, I thought I would reveal the full truth about wine and the Camino. Some of the other veteran members may be upset that I reveal this secret.
Anyway, every night right at meal time, black robed chanting monks mysteriously appear with a jug of wine in each hand.
Quite quickly all of the pilgrims become completely mesmerized and start drinking wine.
I have found that attempted resistance is futile.
Just as mysteriously they monks fade away and are not seen until the next night. One of the great and previously unexplained mystery of the Camino now revealed!

there were no issues for me

One day I was walking parallel with three, how can I say?, hard core streetwise Cockney girls.
They were at the same albergue that night, and they were sitting opposite me at the communal dining table.
When the wine carafe was passed along to me, I saw they had no wine, so I said “Are you not having any wine?” and held up the carafe to pour them some.
“Not any more” they said, and smiled.
I nodded and smiled back.
Then passed the carafe along.
A moment in time that has stayed with me.
Jill

After some thought, I thought I would reveal the full truth about wine and the Camino. Some of the other veteran members may be upset that I reveal this secret.
Anyway, every night right at meal time, black robed chanting monks mysteriously appear with a jug of wine in each hand.
Quite quickly all of the pilgrims become completely mesmerized and start drinking wine.
Just as mysteriously they monks fade away and are not seen until the next night. One of the great and previously unexplained mystery of the Camino now revealed!

Dang! Secret revealed!! Dang! The truth is out, almost the like the Spanish Inquisition visiting!!!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Or just take the dish of the day instead of the menu.

But if you're not teetotal, hmmmm, I predict that you'll be drinking more wine on the Camino than you would at home -- not only will you be liable to find that it helps with the aches and pains, but its nutritional qualities actually help restore the body when taken (with whatever degree of moderation suits each individual) at the end of the day's hike or before bedtime.

In your position I would suggest avoiding the beer (though I swear by the stuff myself LOL), except perhaps to at least try once the Galician Estrella Galicia towards the end of the Way, or if you end up in some mild emergency of simultaneous dehydration and a little too much sun, so that a cool beer in the shade might actually help.

And do your best to keep in mind to ensure that any Camino bad habits stay on the Camino, and not bring them back home with you with your Compostela certificate ... :p

Or just take the dish of the day instead of the menu.

But if you're not teetotal, hmmmm, I predict that you'll be drinking more wine on the Camino than you would at home -- not only will you be liable to find that it helps with the aches and pains, but its nutritional qualities actually help restore the body when taken (with whatever degree of moderation suits each individual) at the end of the day's hike or before bedtime.

In your position I would suggest avoiding the beer (though I swear by the stuff myself LOL), except perhaps to at least try once the Galician Estrella Galicia towards the end of the Way, or if you end up in some mild emergency of simultaneous dehydration and a little too much sun, so that a cool beer in the shade might actually help.

And do your best to keep in mind to ensure that any Camino bad habits stay on the Camino, and not bring them back home with you with your Compostela certificate ... :p
Oh is this thread about cerveza? Surely it’s not alcoholic? Just like tuna is vegetarian!

.... eh, don't get me started ... (Danger Will Robinson !!) :p

(though I did the other day find an American beer that I actually like :eek: -- Spencer's Trappist Indian pale Ale.) Spencer's make the only Trappist beers brewed outside Europe ...
I like a glass or two of wine (occasionally three on Camino, ;) ), but never have liked beer, with the exception of cervesa limon :). The guys in my life however, (hubby and two sons) prefer the IPA craft beers to the "same ol, same ol".

Wine or water Barbara you will be offered.
A glass each night will be great and you will be offered it at your shared table.
My wife finds the wine there is very light compared to our heavy wines back home ,
To add a little humour:
The feast of Cana;)

No vino, no camino.

But I must say that the only bad habit I regret I have, is tobacco. I quite enjoy all my other bad habits. Especially an ice cold beer after some hours walk. Gracias, tu (Dio) existe! Peregrino Gasolino: Mas 5 kms muy rapido! ;)

Last edited:
Next thing you'll be revealing the secret handshake!
Aren't you afraid of being struck by lightning for revealing these secret rites?
o_Oo_Oo_O

How interesting the number of people who can’t image the Camino without a drink
Believe me, I never touched a drop the whole way and it was NOT a slog
Beauty in every step (?hmmmm maybe that’s the kind of memory that happens after painful child birth. It all seems wonderful later)

Seriously, I walked with a non-drinker and never even noticed that she was a not drinking alcohol. It was a non issue. There was absolutely no pressure either on her to drink or on the pilgrims who did drink in moderation to not drink. I encounter far more problems with people drinking too much in my home town than I ever did on the camino and that includes the locals who start the day with an espresso and a shot of spirits. Don’t worry. All will be well. Just avoid the retrobates. ;):D:D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello!

Just like you, despite not being a non-drinker, I too did not drink on the Camino. For my body, alcohol and exercise just don't work together. The only day I drank a cold Estrella Galicia, was on the day of my arrival in Santiago when I went for some tapas.

I also have never chosen the menu peregrino because it is, in my opinion, overpriced. The ultimate proof to this was in Porriño, when we saw a restaurant with that menu that included two tapas and a drink, if I'm not mistaken, for 9/10€, and we went to the café across the street and I ate a bocadillo con tortilla, an empanadilla and drank a juice for 6€. We even bought bread and empanadilla for later and was still cheaper in the whole than menu peregrino. Then bought water and fruit in the supermarket and off we went!
But I'm not judging who goes for this option, just stating my experience and opinion.

Buen Camino!

@ophelia, your experience with pilgrim meals/del dias was entirely different than mine. I never saw them offering 2 tapas and a drink. I always had choices of a hot first course often with meat, potatoes (usually fries, but not always), sometimes a veggie, good bread and a choice of dessert and drink. Not always high quality, but for 10-12 euro, I thought them a real bargain enjoyed at the end of a long day.

This all reminds me of something my very old, even at the time, Sicilian grandmother told me. I rather suspect the same scenario held true across Iberia until recent decades. Nona originated in a tiny village smack dead in the center of most rural Sicily.

'Wine (and beer) were more popular than water from a well or surface source as it was "safe to drink." Even infants were served wine, diluted with water, as the alcohol from the fermentation process likely killed off most of the microbes commonly found in "potable" water at the time.'

Separately, and as regards beer, I was told much the same thing when I lived in Belgium for two years. 'Beer was safer to drink than commonly available water. Also, some of the beer in Belgium contained so high a carbohydrate content that workers would take a bucket or pail of it to work for consumption at lunch. I believe this to be the origin of the term "lunch in a bucket..."'

I am relating what was told to me, in two separate scenarios, separated by some 30 years or more.

But, this likely explains the penetration rate of alcohol, especially wine, across much of Europe. Over centuries, consuming wine and beer became simply part of the culture.

Hope this helps the dialog.

Tom, my grandmother on my father's side was Sicilian, too, coming over on a boat as a new bride as so many did of that generation. Her maiden name was Antoinette Pizzolatta...can't get any more Italian than that!
Oops, I forgot this thread is not about family trees. :)

€46,-
@t2andreo - interesting. Until tea became common in England and also piped clean water supplies, people used to drink small beer for breakfast and onwards - 'small' meaning weak.
The cowhands in the U. S. west used to keep a silver dollar in their canteens to purify the water .. silver has anti-microbial properties. Might be a nice trick on Camino.

Saint James is always a source of the unexpected on the Camino -- "mischief" is close, but it's the wrong word.
OK, JabbaPapa, Tom, Irish Bernie et. al., you guys have all made my day! I haven't laughed so hard in a while. Camino Magic via the internet. Make mine a red wine and I'll happily walk with any of you!

Saint James is always a source of the unexpected on the Camino -- "mischief" is close, but it's the wrong word.

Please enlighten me oh wise one :)
OK, JabbaPapa, Tom, Irish Bernie et. al., you guys have all made my day! I haven't laughed so hard in a while. Camino Magic via the internet. Make mine a red wine and I'll happily walk with any of you!

Would you like some water with that ??

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@ophelia, your experience with pilgrim meals/del dias was entirely different than mine. I never saw them offering 2 tapas and a drink. I always had choices of a hot first course often with meat, potatoes (usually fries, but not always), sometimes a veggie, good bread and a choice of dessert and drink. Not always high quality, but for 10-12 euro, I thought them a real bargain enjoyed at the end of a long day.
I try to never miss a "pilgrim meal"! The quality of the meal can sometimes be questionable but the comradery around the table always makes up for the lack of vegetables. I too never saw the 2 tapas and a drink offered as a pilgrim meal.

€149,-
... I decided to abstain for the 5 weeks of the walk and save my celebratory drink for Santiago. I quite enjoyed it. ...
I walked with a Canadian lady (Lucy) in 2016 and she too abstained during her Camino. We celebrated her first glass of wine when we met up in Finisterre. Unfortunately, I was not as strong minded as her ;)

I'm not a huge wine drinker at all, and dislike beer entirely. At home I'm also careful not to drink and drive, as only 2 glasses put my friend over the limit and lost her her licence - so i'm very cautious.
But in Spain, where you are walking not driving, the wine is good, and cheap so I drank more than I would at home.
I drank plenty of water too, and the lemon cans. And another option for people is tinto de verana. Its a chilled mix of soda, red wine and ice, with a lemon slice. I was introduced to this by a fellow pilgrim from Madrid. Refreshing, served in a large glass, and quite diluted. It's apparently a summer drink and you get laughed at if you order it in winter months. The bars sell it by the glass, but the shops sell it by the 1.5L bottle! Its really cheap.

I believe you, and I did not mean to belittle anyone's experience with menu peregrino! ;)
I did find that situation in Porriño, and even liking tapas as I do, I think they were pushing a bit. Now, I believe it is not the same everywhere! I know that in other places (maybe even in other restaurants in the same place) there is a hot meal with other things on offer, but for a pilgrim on a budget like me, 10€ would be too much to spend on a meal everyday. And that's another question, but I was just exemplifying with the outrageous example I mentioned.
However, on a side note, I think some of the places that sell the menu peregrino with the often seen meat with fries, beverage and coffee or dessert, for the price above, is still a bit overpriced for the kind of food you are getting, when in other places you can eat the equivalent for much less, it just isn't advertised as menu peregrino. For example, in Caldas de Reis I found a very pleasant café by the river, and ate a tortilla pincho with salad and water, and paid only 4€. With some fruit I had at the albergue, it made a lovely dinner.

This is my experience and I am not saying it is the right way to do things, I am sharing it ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back