• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino without alcohol?

This all reminds me of something my very old, even at the time, Sicilian grandmother told me. I rather suspect the same scenario held true across Iberia until recent decades. Nona originated in a tiny village smack dead in the center of most rural Sicily.

'Wine (and beer) were more popular than water from a well or surface source as it was "safe to drink." Even infants were served wine, diluted with water, as the alcohol from the fermentation process likely killed off most of the microbes commonly found in "potable" water at the time.'

Separately, and as regards beer, I was told much the same thing when I lived in Belgium for two years. 'Beer was safer to drink than commonly available water. Also, some of the beer in Belgium contained so high a carbohydrate content that workers would take a bucket or pail of it to work for consumption at lunch. I believe this to be the origin of the term "lunch in a bucket..."'

I am relating what was told to me, in two separate scenarios, separated by some 30 years or more.

But, this likely explains the penetration rate of alcohol, especially wine, across much of Europe. Over centuries, consuming wine and beer became simply part of the culture.

Hope this helps the dialog.

In Portugal it is very similar, and wine is in fact incredibly attached to the culture. I would dare to say it is a wine culture! In most homes, it's what people drink at meals. I do not drink much alcohol but a nice vinho verde from the Northern region is always fresh in the Summer!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that since it is a (formerly for some) Catholic piligrimage - water and wine have a miraculous proximity.
The thread has been entertaining - occasionally (but not always) enlightening. If it is "your" camino why should "you" care what people drink or think? Drunkeness is the scourge of some aspects of the camino - along with snorers. I pass on wine midday (miles to go before I sleep) and focus on Fanta, a magical elixir or its Spanish equivalent. In the evening I drink wine, and water. There is no requirement to drink and I have rarely seen a pilgrim "sharing" his bottle of wine with countless strangers. That, of course is what Jesus did but he is not walking to Santiago.

I think that since it is a (formerly for some) Catholic piligrimage - water and wine have a miraculous proximity.

A refreshing perspective, & thanks !!

Apart from the religious perspectives, water and wine are indeed close in purpose on the Camino.

The thread has been entertaining - occasionally (but not always) enlightening. If it is "your" camino why should "you" care what people drink or think?

From my point of view, and just for starters, the whole "it's *your* Camino" rhetoric is intrinsically flawed -- it's our Camino, not mine nor yours alone.

And really -- if you care not what your fellow peregrinos "drink nor think", whither any meaning for you in the Camino of anyone at all ??? Even yours ?

Drunkeness is the scourge of some aspects of the camino - along with snorers.

If snorers bother you, then the likeliest reason is that you've not been walking far enough daily.

I've found furthermore, over the years, that those most likely to complain about snoring are heavy snorers themselves. Quite funny really !!!

As for drunkenness, well IMO it's only the worst and most ill-managed forms of it that are ever really a problem on the Camino. Even so, having been both awfully and overly drunk myself there, but also having met some quite lovely people regardless of their own drunken ways, I think your description of it as "scourge" is very greatly exaggerated.

The Camino is not any sort of abstracted mental exercise route of puritanical purpose and nature -- the Patron of the Way is not Bunyan nor Cromwell, but Saint James.

The Latin peregrinus means "foreigner" -- so that to be among pilgrims is to be among strangers. It cannot be helpful then to just outright denigrate these or those for any absence of conformity with your own personal opinions and morals.

I pass on wine midday (miles to go before I sleep) and focus on Fanta, a magical elixir or its Spanish equivalent.

eh, the *real* Fanta has not existed for **decades** sadly ... the last bottle of it that I ever tasted was imported from India.

In the evening I drink wine, and water.

There's hope for you yet !!! :p:cool:o_O

There is no requirement to drink and I have rarely seen a pilgrim "sharing" his bottle of wine with countless strangers.

I've done and seen such sharing very often indeed !!!

That, of course is what Jesus did but he is not walking to Santiago.

Not really, but let's not start a religious discussion, eh ? :confused:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe try a Clara, sometimes known as cerveza con límon. Basically 50% Fanta lemon and 50% beer. Very refreshing and does not leave a beer type after taste. Tinto de verrano is another if you dont want straight wine. It is once again Lemon with wine rather than beer. Also quite refreshing on a hot day. Or simple Gaseoso. It is only sparkling water but I enjoyed it as an occasional break from wine

After an Italian on the Via de la Plata introduced it to me, a clara con limon or clara con gaseosa (not a sparkling water but a 7-Up or Sprite like drink without sugar) has become my treat after a long hot stage. I do not like beer but this combination is very refreshing. This past December I walked for 2 weeks but due to the cold I stuck with infusiones (herbal tea) such as Poleomenta or cafe con leche.

Having experienced truly some of the worst behavior from drunks on the Camino, for me they WERE a scourge. There is the drunk who acted like a friend for 3 days and then turned and mobbed me jr. high school style, (leaving me to pay for a room for 3 people by myself) and the very drunk woman who threw up in the bed next to mine and tried to carry her vomit in her hands to the trash can at the door. Having worked in bars for many years including owning one myself, these folks were despicable and really put me off wanting to walk the Camino again. Fortunately, I got over it to a certain extent and am planning 2 more walks but will make a wide berth around anyone who is imbibing more than they should.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m not teetotal, but I drink only very occasionally. The idea of drinking vino tinto/ cerveza every single evening doesn’t appeal at all, though an occasional one will be nice. Is this going to be an issue? I’ve read that a lot of pilgrim menus include wine, but if you don’t want wine are you still going to be charged for it?
The usual "menu del día" is a complete package, includes wine or water, dependind on the establisment, includes coffe. Yo can choose between wine or water, but if you prefer beer or a soft drink you must paid added. If you dont drink all bottle of water/wine you can take it away, you have already paid for it.

I drank very little on the part of the Camino we did last October. I opted for the Water instead. It won't be an issue for you to do that.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back