• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino without any preparation?

Riza

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances september 2017
Good evening everyone :)

Firstly, sorry if my English looks a bit broken sometimes, it's not my native language and I'm still working on it!
I had the Camino frances in my mind for a while but things happened and I decided to do it in two or three years instead of doing next September as I wanted initially. But time has passed and it felt more and more like the Camino was calling for me. I don't know how to explain but I feel the need to do it now, not to postpone it. I wouldn't say it's a life question but not far from it actually!
But here's the thing. I took the decision and booked my plane back to France only a few weeks ago, and I started at the same time to work a lot of hours to save money (around 55-60 per week). So even if I wanted to, I didn't get any time to hike, to do exercises or to train myself in anyway. I didn't even get time to buy new shoes and I'll do it only one week before starting. My job is quite physical, so even if I wasn't very fit before, it has helped me a little. I'm working all day with my running shoes which suits perfectly my foot now so I'm going to take them as a second pair in my backpack as I think starting the camino with an almost new pair of shoes is probably the worst idea.
I still have one week to go with my work and then, back to France, and I'll start the camino on the 13th of September in SJPP. I don't have anything waiting for me after, I'm free, and I saved enough to be slow and take my time. I don't want to ask too much to my body, so I'll cut the first day in two and stop at Orrisson, but I'm a bit concerned by the difficulty of the next kilometers. Hiking through a mountain to begin with is a bit worrying for me.
I know I'm certainly doing everything in the wrong way with this "last minute" decision but I'm quite stubborn and I'm sure I can make it. I'm so excited and impatient to meet all the pilgrims, and in the same time, I'm looking forward walking alone when needed, just having to think about where eating, sleeping and all my personal questions.
What do you think? Am I mistaken myself when I think I'll be able to do this? Is it stupid, what strategy would you recommend?
I'd love to read some advices of wise pilgrims, and be comforted in my choice, then I'll could put down my discouraging little voice!
Many thanks in advance :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome, Riza!
Walking without training is more common than you'd expect.
Many of us cannot - and we're fine. Slower than some, but fine.
You know how to walk. It's not a strange activity. Granted this is a bit different, and definitely much harder than a stroll in the park. But when you use the first days as training and be patient with yourself (and all the aches and pains) it does come together. The key is not to push the pace. One step after another and take your time.

You're actually a bit better off than many who over-prepare, overthink, and come to the Camino with the idea that they know what to expect. Your spontaneity will leave more room for all the surprises, and let the Camino reveal itself to you as you walk.
Buen camino, peregrina!

What do you think?

You’ll be fine :).

Good idea to take two days to walk to Roncesvalles.

You may have to make a reservation at Orisson to be able to stay there (http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/) as they do get full. If they are, then take the Valcarlos route, which is just as nice, and there is a lovely albergue in Valcarlos.

Start off slowly. If you feel any “hot spots” on your feet, stop immediately, take off your shoes, and see what is causing the problem and fix it (take the wrinkle out of your sock, or the stone out of your shoe, or put a plaster on the sore point).

After a couple of days you will have worked it all out.
Buen camino!
Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Training? What training?

You want to take it easy. You don't want to walk 40 km a day. So don't worry.

You are fine. Except for the footwear. And have you booked Orisson? If you want to stay there you must book ahead. A long time.

Back to footwear. What are you planning on bringing? Why can't you wear your runners for the walk? You may be better off with them during the day and some Crocs type comfy shoe in the evening than with new and unknown new fancy wear.

Also, consider additional insoles, not jist the ones that come with the shoes.

As for hiking over a mountain on day one: don't worry. Yes you are going up, and down, but hardly hicking. It can be mostly tarmack. It certainly is going up, and going down, it depends on the route you prefer.

If you can work 60 hours a week in a fairly physical job and you can take it easy on the Camino you will be just fine.

VNwalking, thanks, and your message is lovely to read. I'll keep this in mind :)

Charliegoh, we might catch up on the way as I leave just before you! Buen camino!

Jsalt, thank you for this great advice, I wouldn't think Orisson could be fully booked even mid-september, I'll have a look on it tomorrow!

Anemone del Camino, my running shoes are great but a bit old won't probably survive the whole way, plus they're made from a very thin breathable fabric not adapted at all even for a little rain, it gets soaked in one minute! I'm still hesitating between sneakers like new balance or waterproof trail shoes (salomon probably) but definitely not hiking boots, way too heavy for me. Specially if you say I don't need to worry for the mountain :)

Many Thanks dougfit for warning me, it's good to know what I'm going to experience ! I expect pain, mentally, physically, emotionally, and I know it's going to be very challenging, but it also why it sounds so much attractive to me, this idea to find my limits and to get out of my comfort zone! I don't take this as holidays, don't worry :) I've learned to listen to my body so I'll try to take care as best as I can do. I don't drink alcohol at all, and I don't take usually painkillers as they destroy my stomach, but I use a lot of tiger balm and essential oils to keep going when I'm doing physical works, so I hope it'll work the same for the camino!

Thanks all, I feel much more confident and ready!

I JUST finished my first camino (Frances), averaged approximately 26 kilometers a day and did NO training what-so-ever before starting. I am 59 year old woman, approximately 25 pounds overweight, and carried my pack which weighed about 8 kilo's. While I don't recommend no training, I completely understand that sometimes its just not possible (in my case, I was working about 100 hours/week until I left). There are a few things that I would do differently and/or recommend.

1. I should have tried to lose weight before starting. The body has a hard time adjusting to carrying 8 kilos and it would have been better it I hadnt been carrying extra weight to begin with.
2. If at all possible, try to do some walking with your weighted backpack, just to get your body acclimated to the additional weight.
3. Have really good shoes. I wore lightweight hiking boots, which provided critical ankle support. If you purchase your footwear TODAY, you will still have almost 3 weeks to wear them, better if you can wear them all day.
4. As others have said, walk your pace, go only as far as your want to and listen to your body, which often means walking alone. The only times I was worried I was injured was when I walked too fast so that I could keep pace with some companions. This is very tempting to do, but can cause the dreaded tendonitis, that I saw so many others getting.
5. STRETCH before starting and after finishing EVERYDAY (or at least for the first two weeks). Practice some stretches for hips, IT band, calves, and ankles before leaving.
6. Allow yourself rest days and use buses, taxi and pack transport as necessary.

Other than that, let the Camino take care of you :)

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
...new balance or waterproof trail shoes (salomon probably) but definitely not hiking boots, way too heavy for me. Specially if you say I don't need to worry for the mountain .

Thanks all, I feel much more confident and ready!
Have heard good things about some of the NB models and I have walked three times with Salomon Ultra2 GTX. The beauty of the Salomons is that they hardly required more breaking into that catching your flight and getting to your starting point.

Glad to learn that I am not the only one without any training or much preparation to walk the Camino! My walk on the Camino Frances starts from SJPP on September 15th, (just decided to get up and walk). I have not even bought any equipment yet, but my flights are booked! Will be shopping for equipment next weekend.
Might see you on the Way. I commence on September 16 from SJPP. Alan from Melbourne Australia.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Brilliant advice from everyone 100% agree with all the suggestions and advice. Buy a pair of comfortable runners not hiking boots carry as little as possible and if you get sore forward your gear on till you recover, don't set a date for the end and if you do just boost it to catch up to your schedule, everyone does their own camino and does it differently. Stay and book into orisson and ronsavalle and take the right path at the other side of the Pyranees. Remember you can buy anything you need on the camino you need and only carry enough water till the next major town so you are not carrying dead weight.I did no training as I expected to get fit on the way and lost 16 kilos Buen Camino my friend take it easy and stop to smell the flowers . Check the pack lists if you are going to carry everything to about 7 kilos or put luxuries in a day pack and forward them on for 3-5 euros a day and really enjoy the spiritual journey

Firstly, sorry if my English looks a bit broken sometimes, it's not my native language and I'm still working on it!
I had the Camino frances in my mind for a while but things happened and I decided to do it in two or three years instead of doing next September as I wanted initially. But time has passed and it felt more and more like the Camino was calling for me. I don't know how to explain but I feel the need to do it now, not to postpone it. I wouldn't say it's a life question but not far from it actually!
But here's the thing. I took the decision and booked my plane back to France only a few weeks ago, and I started at the same time to work a lot of hours to save money (around 55-60 per week). So even if I wanted to, I didn't get any time to hike, to do exercises or to train myself in anyway. I didn't even get time to buy new shoes and I'll do it only one week before starting. My job is quite physical, so even if I wasn't very fit before, it has helped me a little. I'm working all day with my running shoes which suits perfectly my foot now so I'm going to take them as a second pair in my backpack as I think starting the camino with an almost new pair of shoes is probably the worst idea.
I still have one week to go with my work and then, back to France, and I'll start the camino on the 13th of September in SJPP. I don't have anything waiting for me after, I'm free, and I saved enough to be slow and take my time. I don't want to ask too much to my body, so I'll cut the first day in two and stop at Orrisson, but I'm a bit concerned by the difficulty of the next kilometers. Hiking through a mountain to begin with is a bit worrying for me.
I know I'm certainly doing everything in the wrong way with this "last minute" decision but I'm quite stubborn and I'm sure I can make it. I'm so excited and impatient to meet all the pilgrims, and in the same time, I'm looking forward walking alone when needed, just having to think about where eating, sleeping and all my personal questions.
What do you think? Am I mistaken myself when I think I'll be able to do this? Is it stupid, what strategy would you recommend?
I'd love to read some advices of wise pilgrims, and be comforted in my choice, then I'll could put down my discouraging little voice!
I have just completed my 2nd Camino Frances, I started alone, but met a load of great people on the way. I basically turned up on the day put my boots on,and 30 days later I found myself walking into Santiago! I know it was not my first and I had a bit of pre knowledge, but I did it! I am a 61 year old who has Parkinsons and with help from fellow pilgrims, in silly things like taking my coffee to my table in cafes ( hard, if you're shaking with Parkinsons!! most of it ends up on the floor!!), so if I can do it so can you, I also did minimal training, except general fitness , just go with the flow and be prepared to be flexible and enjoy the ride! You will have a great Camino I know, it will restore your faith in Humanity and the people you meet will leave an indelible mark on you for the rest of your life! Buen Camino and remember, it's not a race, enjoy the moment!

I have just completed my 2nd Camino Frances, I started alone, but met a load of great people on the way. I basically turned up on the day put my boots on,and 30 days later I found myself walking into Santiago! I know it was not my first and I had a bit of pre knowledge, but I did it! I am a 61 year old who has Parkinsons and with help from fellow pilgrims, in silly things like taking my coffee to my table in cafes ( hard, if you're shaking with Parkinsons!! most of it ends up on the floor!!), so if I can do it so can you, I also did minimal training, except general fitness , just go with the flow and be prepared to be flexible and enjoy the ride! You will have a great Camino I know, it will restore your faith in Humanity and the people you meet will leave an indelible mark on you for the rest of your life! Buen Camino and remember, it's not a race, enjoy the moment!
Well said mate you have my Respect

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Let me suggest that you won't be okay, but with some careful management, you might make it. Even well prepared pilgrims have problems at the start as they adapt to walking long distances day after day. I expect you will end each day in pain - perhaps just for the first week, but possibly many more. Each night your leg muscles will ache, the soles of your feet will be so tender that you have to shuffle around the albergue because you cannot walk normally, and you will be taking some form of analgesia to reduce that pain. Each morning expect your joints to be stiff, and you won't be able to resist taking an anti-inflammatory to get them moving again.

I agree with @dougfitz in principle though with care and some good judgment I think the picture he describes here is a little darker than you need find for yourself. I would class myself as a fairly experienced walker and I usually average about 30km per day walking the Caminos. For me the first three or four days are the most difficult: walking itself is fine but joints and muscles stiffen quickly when I stop for any length of time and take time to loosen up once moving again. My feet do swell by the end of the day and my soles do feel tender. I find that gel insoles inside some sturdy boots help a lot with tenderness of my feet. I rarely reach the stage of needing to dose myself with medication though. I generally find that there comes a point on day three or four when my body has adjusted to the new demands suddenly being made on it and I no longer feel any seriously debilitating aches or pains. I would be exaggerating if I claimed to feel none at all though :) There is almost certain to be some discomfort at first - and the further and faster you push yourself the worse and more prolonged it is likely to be. So don't push it! Start slow and walk short stages. Let the rest of the world pass by in a hurry. I personally dislike reserving beds in advance but that might be useful in this case - free to walk a stage of your choice without any anxiety of suddenly having to add a few extra km at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I have walked the camino 3 times, each time 40 to 60% of the camino. The first time I had absolutely no preparation so I started in Roncesvalle. I too walk a lot a lot at work but even then, pounding my feet for about 7 hours a day on the camino gave me plantar fasciitis--it got so bad that even with strong pain medicine, I couldn't walk more than 4 hours a day--and it took months to get over. I also had blisters on 9 out 0f 10 toes--later remedied by using toe socks.
I later went over the Pyrenees after training, stopping in Orisson, and though it was hard, it was doable. Unless you are pretty young, I would not recommend doing it without some sort of training. The easiest training would be walking on a treadmill (3 min brisk walking alternating with 3 min walking on an incline--you won't have time but best case scenario would be building up to 2 hours--as you also increase your incline).
If you absolutely can't train, I would start in Roncesvalle and I definitely recommend Saloman shoes--there is a partial steel plate in the shoe that helps prevent foot trauma from rocks, roots, etc.

The first time I had absolutely no preparation so I started in Roncesvalle. I too walk a lot a lot at work but even then, pounding my feet for about 7 hours a day on the camino gave me plantar fasciitis--it got so bad that even with strong pain medicine, I couldn't walk more than 4 hours a day--and it took months to get over. I also had blisters on 9 out 0f 10 toes--later remedied by using toe socks.
Most people seem to average about 4 kph when walking the Camino Frances. If you were walking for 7 hours per day were your daily stages in the 25-30km range? If so then perhaps unrealistic expectations of the distances which you could cover each day were as much part of the problem as any lack of preparation. This is one of the reasons why I always prefer to be completely flexible and not commit myself in advance to a fixed itinerary. And incidentally why I dislike the approach in John Brierley's guidebooks of subdividing the route into pre-defined days which very inexperienced walkers may understandably assume are normal and manageable but which often prove too difficult for them to maintain day after day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Your English is very good, no apology neccesary even if it wasn't. I'm not wise but I have valued others thoughts on things so will respond to your question. You don't mention your age but I'm 58 and on the parts where it was stony, and coming down off the Pyrenees , I valued my boots which gave ankle support, but I changed to trainers on the flat tracks and at the end of the day to rest my feet. Also used pacer poles which helped me along and gave extra balance when I needed it over some downhill bits. I like these poles but other types would do if you think you might benefit from walking poles. I might suggest you take the homeopathic remedies of arnica with you, it weighs very little. I took the pillules at the end of the day and massaged the cream into sore aching areas and I do believe it helps. Pack as light as possible, I carried too much ' Just in case'. listen to your body and do what feels right, trust your own instincts. take your boots off and air/ massage your feet when you take a Break, and as someone else said, investigate any foot discomfort and take steps to remedy it straight away. I think you'll do just fine, you sound determined, but give yourself permission to stop before your destination 'goal' for the day if you're tired , and there's somewhere good to stop, as pushing on might not be for the best and tomorrow you'll have more energy! I wish you well.

Some of the pilgrims I've met who seem to do the best had little prep. You can do it!... and if not there are elegant ways to stop doing it. Shoes and foot care! prepare that!

I JUST finished my first camino (Frances), averaged approximately 26 kilometers a day and did NO training what-so-ever before starting. I am 59 year old woman, approximately 25 pounds overweight, and carried my pack which weighed about 8 kilo's. While I don't recommend no training, I completely understand that sometimes its just not possible (in my case, I was working about 100 hours/week until I left). There are a few things that I would do differently and/or recommend.

1. I should have tried to lose weight before starting. The body has a hard time adjusting to carrying 8 kilos and it would have been better it I hadnt been carrying extra weight to begin with.
2. If at all possible, try to do some walking with your weighted backpack, just to get your body acclimated to the additional weight.
3. Have really good shoes. I wore lightweight hiking boots, which provided critical ankle support. If you purchase your footwear TODAY, you will still have almost 3 weeks to wear them, better if you can wear them all day.
4. As others have said, walk your pace, go only as far as your want to and listen to your body, which often means walking alone. The only times I was worried I was injured was when I walked too fast so that I could keep pace with some companions. This is very tempting to do, but can cause the dreaded tendonitis, that I saw so many others getting.
5. STRETCH before starting and after finishing EVERYDAY (or at least for the first two weeks). Practice some stretches for hips, IT band, calves, and ankles before leaving.
6. Allow yourself rest days and use buses, taxi and pack transport as necessary.

Other than that, let the Camino take care of you :)

Buen Camino
Very sensible suggestions @tabbyCat. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Brilliant advice from everyone 100% agree with all the suggestions and advice. Buy a pair of comfortable runners not hiking boots carry as little as possible and if you get sore forward your gear on till you recover, don't set a date for the end and if you do just boost it to catch up to your schedule, everyone does their own camino and does it differently. Stay and book into orisson and ronsavalle and take the right path at the other side of the Pyranees. Remember you can buy anything you need on the camino you need and only carry enough water till the next major town so you are not carrying dead weight.I did no training as I expected to get fit on the way and lost 16 kilos Buen Camino my friend take it easy and stop to smell the flowers . Check the pack lists if you are going to carry everything to about 7 kilos or put luxuries in a day pack and forward them on for 3-5 euros a day and really enjoy the spiritual journey
Losing 16kg @Mick McQueen that's terrific; hope I can lose that much - my wife will be very pleased. BTW: I like the backdrop to your profile photo; I take a similar snapshot everyday on my training walks around Sydney Harbour. Cheers

My most important advice is to get your shoes now and start wearing them. Starting the Camino with brand new shoes is a recipe for blisters. Blisters are the number one physical ailment on the Camino. As other have written, you are going to ache. Make sure to get some of the good ibuprofen gel (the kind with the higher percentage of ibuprofen). I didn't meet a single person who brought two pairs of shoes. Most had a pair of sandals or flip flops in addition to their walking shoes, but none had two pairs of walking shoes. Weight is the limiting factor.

Make sure to start slow and listen to your body. Oh, I almost forgot. Make sure to bring a tube of Vaseline to rub on your feet in the morning and at rest breaks during the day.

As I trudged along, I met lots of young, fit folks who were really struggling because they hadn't prepared, packed way too much and walked way too far and fast to start with. If you prepare even a little bit as mentioned above, pack very light and walk slower than you expected to and stop sooner, you'll likely be all right. Yes, you'll hurt at least a bit every day, but we all do. Stretch, massage, take care of yourself and live in the moment.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Training? What training?

You want to take it easy. You don't want to walk 40 km a day. So don't worry.

You are fine. Except for the footwear. And have you booked Orisson? If you want to stay there you must book ahead. A long time.

Back to footwear. What are you planning on bringing? Why can't you wear your runners for the walk? You may be better off with them during the day and some Crocs type comfy shoe in the evening than with new and unknown new fancy wear.

Also, consider additional insoles, not jist the ones that come with the shoes.

As for hiking over a mountain on day one: don't worry. Yes you are going up, and down, but hardly hicking. It can be mostly tarmack. It certainly is going up, and going down, it depends on the route you prefer.

If you can work 60 hours a week in a fairly physical job and you can take it easy on the Camino you will be just fine.
Brilliant reply

My most important advice is to get your shoes now and start wearing them. Starting the Camino with brand new shoes is a recipe for blisters. Blisters are the number one physical ailment on the Camino. As other have written, you are going to ache. Make sure to get some of the good ibuprofen gel (the kind with the higher percentage of ibuprofen). I didn't meet a single person who brought two pairs of shoes. Most had a pair of sandals or flip flops in addition to their walking shoes, but none had two pairs of walking shoes. Weight is the limiting factor.

Make sure to start slow and listen to your body. Oh, I almost forgot. Make sure to bring a tube of Vaseline to rub on your feet in the morning and at rest breaks during the day.
Most important is they are 11/2 to 2 sizes bigger for each he feet who swell

Losing 16kg @Mick McQueen that's terrific; hope I can lose that much - my wife will be very pleased. BTW: I like the backdrop to your profile photo; I take a similar snapshot everyday on my training walks around Sydney Harbour. Cheers
Cheers have a great time mate can't think of anything I have done in the world that compares to the camino and the people are brilliant

As I trudged along, I met lots of young, fit folks who were really struggling because they hadn't prepared, packed way too much and walked way too far and fast to start with. If you prepare even a little bit as mentioned above, pack very light and walk slower than you expected to and stop sooner, you'll likely be all right. Yes, you'll hurt at least a bit every day, but we all do. Stretch, massage, take care of yourself and live in the moment.

Very good advice from everyone!
Especially the young (and fit) try to do too much (walk too fast, too far) on the first 2 days or so because it seems easy. The older people are more careful because less confident of their ability.
Trouble is, you don't hear from those people who have to give up early, you don't see them any more when you are walking and there aren't many on this forum.... ?
I walked with a Spanish guy on my 1st camino who went back home for a day, around Pamplona I think. (Can't remember exactly). He took the bus. When he came back, he told me he saw sooooo many injured pilgrims on his way, who had quitted early and were waiting to get to the hospital...., he couldn't believe it.
So yes, you can do it but please, take it easy at least the first week and pack light :)
Buen camino!

I suggest that you watch the Camino Documentary: Six Way to Santiago.

Please pay particular attention to the experience of Pilgrim Tomas who walks the Camino without preparation:

http://caminodocumentary.org/pilgrims/

"Tomás, 30-something, athletic and very charming, was torn between kite boarding on the coast or “hiking” the Camino. He chose the Camino because it was more of a physical challenge. He gets what he asks for, as his biggest challenge becomes the immense physical pain that he experiences. He must learn to persevere as the struggle to complete the Camino becomes more painful with every step."

-Paul

Three years ago I decided that the time for the Camino was right. I was 61 years old and I booked a flight, borrowed a pair of hiking boots and a backpack and I started my camino in Burgos seven days after I decided to go. I had no training but I do work as a server in a restaurant so I am used to being on my feet. Keep the weight as low as possible...have a pair of shoes or boots that are well broken in and another pair to alternate---hiking sandals are quite comfortable on many parts of the camino. Most important is do not push yourself at the beginning and pay attention to sore spots and it should be okay. September is a beautiful time to walk. Not too crowded and weather beautiful. You can do it!!! Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow! I feel so grateful for all those replies, I've been reading you all day during my short breaks and it gave me such enthusiasm and motivation to keep going with my work :) this forum is a gem, with a fantastic community!
It's uneasy from my phone to reply to each of you, but I'll keep in mind all the personal stories you shared because they're all. Inspiring in their own way and you have all my admiration. Thanks for that, and for the encouragement, and the best wishes.
To reply to one question, I'm 31. I'll be definitely slow, because that's the way I am, the way I like to live, to wander around, stop everywhere to enjoy the view, the flowers, the wildlife and even though I'll be probably walking alone on the way, I'll be even more happy to meet people at the albergues after that.
Packing light is going to be my first challenge, I think around 7 would be my maximum comfort limit, I have already checked on the packing lists but as t the weather could turn cold in october, I'm still a bit indecisive about taking a soft shell and a fleece or just a fleece and a merino shirt. My backpack is usually about 10kgs when I'm going to another country for a few months, but it doesn't include food or water, and it's too heavy anyway to be carried all day during one month.
I can't go buy my shoes before saturday because I'm working all day, but I'll start to wear them straight after the purchase.
Someone has recommend the use of Vaseline, can you explain me in which purpose please? I usually travel with a small quantity of vegetable oil to mix with essential oils, could it have the same effect?
Thanks again!

I suggest that you watch the Camino Documentary: Six Way to Santiago.

Please pay particular attention to the experience of Pilgrim Tomas who walks the Camino without preparation:

http://caminodocumentary.org/pilgrims/

"Tomás, 30-something, athletic and very charming, was torn between kite boarding on the coast or “hiking” the Camino. He chose the Camino because it was more of a physical challenge. He gets what he asks for, as his biggest challenge becomes the immense physical pain that he experiences. He must learn to persevere as the struggle to complete the Camino becomes more painful with every step."

-Paul

I'll do, thanks!

Don't be over ambitious to start with, in fact be under ambitious and build up your distance as you feel able. Keep very well hydrated. You'll be fine. Probably.
Ultreïa

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Riza, the matters raised by @tomnorth and @Mick McQueen are widely discussed in this forum, and it is well worth doing more research into both of them before you adopt their particular advice on these matters.
Oh, I almost forgot. Make sure to bring a tube of Vaseline to rub on your feet in the morning and at rest breaks during the day.
There are many other blister protection techniques that I would consider before using vaseline or any other lubricant, and there is ample discussion on the alternatives in the forum and on the web about this. You will find a survey here which indicates that dual sock systems are used by slightly more respondents than use lubricants. Perhaps more importantly is that most respondents would not change. So perhaps the message is find a method that works, and don't change it unnecessarily.

It is a last resort to just buy a size larger, and I suggest used only if you cannot get to a good outdoors store with the staff and equipment needed to properly fit your footwear. What would be better would be to get your footwear properly fitted by experienced outdoors staff, wearing the socks you will wear on the Camino and doing it late in the day. When you do this, choose the larger size if there is a balance between two sizes. At that point, don't be surprised if the footwear is a size or more larger than your current street footwear. You will find some of my previous contributions on this here, noting that some references are to my local retailers that were made some years ago. The general advice is still sound even if those specifics will not be relevant to you.

@Riza, the matters raised by @tomnorth and @Mick McQueen are widely discussed in this forum, and it is well worth doing more research into both of them before you adopt their particular advice on these matters.

There are many other blister protection techniques that I would consider before using vaseline or any other lubricant, and there is ample discussion on the alternatives in the forum and on the web about this. You will find a survey here which indicates that dual sock systems are used by slightly more respondents than use lubricants. Perhaps more importantly is that most respondents would not change. So perhaps the message is find a method that works, and don't change it unnecessarily.

It is a last resort to just buy a size larger, and I suggest used only if you cannot get to a good outdoors store with the staff and equipment needed to properly fit your footwear. What would be better would be to get your footwear properly fitted by experienced outdoors staff, wearing the socks you will wear on the Camino and doing it late in the day. When you do this, choose the larger size if there is a balance between two sizes. At that point, don't be surprised if the footwear is a size or more larger than your current street footwear. You will find some of my previous contributions on this here, noting that some references are to my local retailers that were made some years ago. The general advice is still sound even if those specifics will not be relevant to you.

I actually used both, two socks and Vaseline. I wore a liner pair and then a medium cushion pair. Both were Smartwool. I don't see them as mutually exclusive. I got the Vaseline tip from good friend who walked the Camino before me. It worked for me, so I pass it along. The nice thing about Vaseline is that it is readily available at any farmacia and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I've heard that advice, but when you wear 13EEE (46 wide) shoes, it's tough to find anything that's 1-1/2 to 2 sizes larger. I actually didn't have trouble with my shoes not fitting due to swelling.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you the guy with Parkinson's interviewed by Dan Mullens in the My Camino Podcast?

As others have said, walk your pace, go only as far as your want to and listen to your body, which often means walking alone. The only times I was worried I was injured was when I walked too fast so that I could keep pace with some companions. This is very tempting to do, but can cause the dreaded tendonitis, that I saw so many others getting.

Amen. You'd never think there would be subtle pressure from others to walk farther than you want to, but there absolutely is.

You will be fine but, just remember, no matter how fit your are or, how fit you think you are, the first four or five days are very tiring and you WILL get aches and pains - just be prepared to take each day as it comes....don't try to race along....pace yourself and rest when you need to. Wishing you all the very best an will look forward to reading news of your journey....Buen Camino...

It's not a race, just enjoy....!, and good luck....:)

But here's the thing. I took the decision and booked my plane back to France only a few weeks ago, and I started at the same time to work a lot of hours to save money (around 55-60 per week). So even if I wanted to, I didn't get any time to hike, to do exercises or to train myself in anyway.

Here's what I did on my two previous caminos:

1) I 'trained' on the spot, meaning, I started slow and gradually worked my way up. So, for example, I'll do 10 km on day 1 or 2, 15 km on day 3 or 4, and so on. You will soon reach your own pace that way. Remember, if you are out of breath, slow down!
2) Tape the hot spots on your feet before each walk to prevent blisters. (I use leukotape P.)

Don't get too stressed out. You'll do all right.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm a bit concerned by the difficulty of the next kilometers. Hiking through a mountain to begin with is a bit worrying for me.

I would recommend zig-zag your way on slopes. Admittedly, this doesn't seem natural to us citydwellers. By walking diagonally across, instead of straight up or down, one could reduce the gradient by up to one-third! So, for example, a 45-deg slope would appear to be just 30 deg by zig-zagging. Just common sense, no?

Many thanks to all of you, I feel way better reading that :)
Don't worry! I started in Burgos in May and arrived in Santiago in mid June.
I was "rotten" regarding my physical condition, and slighly fat as well as i started out.
I spent 25 days on the Camino, and the first 8-10 days was a challenge. It became a question about dealing with pain- at every inch of my body. Then- my body gradually got used to it- the pain disappeared (not completely) and by the time i reached Santiago- i felt a huge sadness because it was over ,but i wanted to keep walking. Some of the blubber on my body disappeared (not all though) and was left behind on the Meseta and the steep tracks in Galicia. Life and reality hit me- and i knew i had to stop- for this time. Lots of good memories richer- and totally Camino-addicted!

So, my message is: Don't worry!!

I'm the exact same as u...starting out in two weeks, last minute decision to go but it's been calling me for a long long time! Think this makes it all the more exciting and if, like me, u have no time limit it's completely manageable! I'm soooo excited!! Best of luck I may see u along the way!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would recommend zig-zag your way on slopes. Admittedly, this doesn't seem natural to us citydwellers. By walking diagonally across, instead of straight up or down, one could reduce the gradient by up to one-third! So, for example, a 45-deg slope would appear to be just 30 deg by zig-zagging. Just common sense, no?
But a bit longer . . . ;)

Too late to worry now! Take it nice and easy and stop if things start to hurt.

I did my first camino in 2001. We had a ban on any kind of country hiking in the UK due to a disease amongst cattle. I did very little preparation and took too heavy a pack.

The Pyrenees were not kind to me but I made Pamplona and then Burgos and Leon and Astorga . . .

It isn't a race and you'll be surprised who you "catch up" with once you reach Santiago!

By the way, I'm 65 and have lived most of my life in England and I still struggle with the language sometimes :)

Buen Camino, please come back and tell us how easy you found it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, you can walk the Camino without preparation. As many people have already said, make sure to start slow. Also, if you have pain, stop at a pharmacy and get treatment as soon as possible. My knees were incredibly painful after the descent from Foncebadon and I struggled through several days trying to ignore the pain, until I could go to a pharmacy and bought gel insoles for my boots which made all the difference. Make sure to listen to your body. Buen Camino!

Hi Riza!
Like you, I have been interested in a Camino walk for a number of years. I mentioned it to my sisters once & we all agreed it was one of those things we wanted to do "sometime." And the years continued to go by...
In the spring of 2010 I was having a lousy time at work. A co-worker was driving me crazy & I had many escapist thoughts. One day I was sitting at my desk when I received one of those junk emails advertising some deal on flights to Europe. Within 15 minutes I had booked my flights to Madrid. In 5 more minutes I had emailed both my sisters, telling them I was going to do a Camino walk in less than 2 months; they were free to join me but if they couldn't, that was fine & I would go anyway. Within 24 hours they had both booked their flights.
I could only spare 2 weeks from work & travelling to Spain (from Canada) takes up time as well so we agreed to do 200 km from Ponferrada to Santiago. That's the majority of our planning... I did check forums (like this one) for some guidelines on what to pack but that's about it.
To make a short story even shorter -- we had the most marvellous time. Like other people have mentioned, it is easy to over-prepare & there is something to be said for trusting the experience and exercising a bit of faith that it will all work out. And to remember that Spain is a very civilized country & if you forgot to bring something really important, you can most likely find it on the way.
Probably the most important thing you can bring on your pilgrimage is a deep desire to do it. And it sounds like you have that already!
Buen camino...

Hey, good luck.

Just a quick note. Its not in reference to your training, but making a booking at Orisson.

I had a booking there for the night of the 15th Sept. Due to medical issue I have had to put my Camino on hold (again, this is the 3rd time!). I cancelled my booking last week, so hopefully they sill have a spare bed.

Good luck and take the time to enjoy the journey

Hello Riza,

You are about to begin an adventure. It looks like you are physically fit and the walking on the first few days is all on roadways, of some type, mostly, but with very little traffic. The higher you climb, the fewer the cars, and trucks. The Pyrenees to Orisson and 8 km beyond are paved. At the Cross at the Road, where the Camino begins to cross the top of the mountains, is not a difficult or hidden trail. Up there, you will experience the Wild Horses, a Fountain to refill canteens and a small refugio in case you get tired or are too late to walk down into Rncesvalles.

One thing I must warn. When beginning the descent into Spain, TAKE THE TRAIL TO THE RIGHT, Note the Left Trail, which is very steep will slow your progress. Shin splints are a potential injury down that trail.

Back to Orisson. It is wise to stop here the first day. The rise from there to the Cross at the Road is 8 km but much easier than the climb the first day. If this seems too much for you, a taxi can be ordered for about 40 EU to take you from Orisson to the Cross at the Road. This leaves 10 kn to walk across and dowm the Pyrenees from there. Also, if your pack is on the heavy side, it can be forwarded from Orisson to Rocesvalles for a few EU, making the walk to Roncesvalles even more enjoyabe, and likely a bit faster too.

Ultreia!

Here's what I did on my two previous caminos:

1) I 'trained' on the spot, meaning, I started slow and gradually worked my way up. So, for example, I'll do 10 km on day 1 or 2, 15 km on day 3 or 4, and so on. You will soon reach your own pace that way. Remember, if you are out of breath, slow down!
2) Tape the hot spots on your feet before each walk to prevent blisters. (I use leukotape P.)

Don't get too stressed out. You'll do all right.
Did you get Leukotape on the camino or did you just take it from home?

Glad to learn that I am not the only one without any training or much preparation to walk the Camino! My walk on the Camino Frances starts from SJPP on September 15th, (just decided to get up and walk). I have not even bought any equipment yet, but my flights are booked! Will be shopping for equipment next weekend.
Great to just hear that Charlie as I am starting on 15 Sept in exactly the same position,,, so if you see an awkward looking Walker there that's me.

Hello all ! :)

Sorry for the very late reply, I've been caught with leaving my new country and "moving back " to mine, and ... I fell ill. Like each time I come back:p. I'm going to read carefully all the replies I missed, thanks again for taking the time to share your experience or wise advices with me !!
I've managed to find good shoes(Merrell) and to walk enough with them ( they're super comfy), and to find everything I needed for my camino. I'll go and start when I'll feel better (went through the flu, feel quite weak at the moment), so I guess I'll have to buy something warm on the way as October might be colder than my original trip planned in September.
But I have a big concern, it's my backpack. It's the backpack I use to travel, so it's a 50L. It's a Deuter Aircontact so the armature is really solid and robust. It's quite comfy on the back though, but I've experienced it only in cities( usually 12kgs on my back, plus 1.5/2 on a small one in front of me), when I move from place to place or run to the airport. I've never tried to carry it for a whole day.
I was about to take this one, because I don't have the money to buy another one smaller, but this one is about 2.5 kgs empty (because of the armature). And with my sleeping bag, I have already 4 kgs on my back. When I fill it with all my stuff (which is not so much, only the basics), I reach 9kgs. I can't go under, I took off all I could already. My weight is almost 60kgs, so I break the 10% rule. I don't want to stick on it because I guess most people travel during summer, and autumn time requieres a little bit more gears. But I have this fear, reading all the topics, to hurt myself since the beginning and be unable to finish my way.
What should I do ?
(I'm 31, reasonably fit and stubborn !)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all ! :)

Sorry for the very late reply, I've been caught with leaving my new country and "moving back " to mine, and ... I fell ill. Like each time I come back:p. I'm going to read carefully all the replies I missed, thanks again for taking the time to share your experience or wise advices with me !!
I've managed to find good shoes(Merrell) and to walk enough with them ( they're super comfy), and to find everything I needed for my camino. I'll go and start when I'll feel better (went through the flu, feel quite weak at the moment), so I guess I'll have to buy something warm on the way as October might be colder than my original trip planned in September.
But I have a big concern, it's my backpack. It's the backpack I use to travel, so it's a 50L. It's a Deuter Aircontact so the armature is really solid and robust. It's quite comfy on the back though, but I've experienced it only in cities( usually 12kgs on my back, plus 1.5/2 on a small one in front of me), when I move from place to place or run to the airport. I've never tried to carry it for a whole day.
I was about to take this one, because I don't have the money to buy another one smaller, but this one is about 2.5 kgs empty (because of the armature). And with my sleeping bag, I have already 4 kgs on my back. When I fill it with all my stuff (which is not so much, only the basics), I reach 9kgs. I can't go under, I took off all I could already. My weight is almost 60kgs, so I break the 10% rule. I don't want to stick on it because I guess most people travel during summer, and autumn time requieres a little bit more gears. But I have this fear, reading all the topics, to hurt myself since the beginning and be unable to finish my way.
What should I do ?
(I'm 31, reasonably fit and stubborn !)
Greetings,

Usually- and in general - we carry too much stuff! This is my experience after 20 years in the Infantry. This year- during Easter i walked 200 km on The St Olav way with my big back pack. It became Heavy as i had to carry most of my food etc. Ended up with 15 kg. The backpack is solid- made for winter conditions and rough terrain- that means it's heavy. So when i prepared for the Camino 2 months later- i bought a 35 litre backpack and managed to reduce the weight with 50%. I washed and did the laundry as i went. When i finished- i realized that my wind jacket and long paired throusers was used only 3 times. Lessons learned! You need less than you think!! I had a light weight poncho which saved me from both rain and Wind and that's a very good Investment.

Buen Camino! Pax et bonum

You might be lucky but the number of pilgrims in Albergue in zubiri Pamplona with Camino finished by injuries can be heart breaking.

No training required you will get fit on the walk, it’s only walking and only average of 20 odd clicks a day, I didn’t do any training and breezed it and I’m 61. Any task of a physical nature is 30% physical and 70% mental. You sound lovely me you will have a great time and stopping at Irisson proves to me you are already well ahead on the planning ideals. Buen Camino go walk and enjoy, it’s easy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hey! did you do the Camino???

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back