• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino without bag - possible ?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
True : )

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are services that will take your backpack from albergue to albergue-for a price. Usually it is anywhere from as much as seven euros to as little as three.

Mmm yeah not really my thing but thanks for the thought. I prefer to be self sufficient and to exercise my little grey cell in finding ways to travel lighter while remaining safe and prepared. Buen camino.

I like the self sufficiency of carrying my own pack. I want most stuff available to use during the day, so there is not be a big difference in weight with a day pack anyway.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes if u and yr pack are separated its Sod's law u will want something from it : )

You could always try a vest with lots of pockets, as in the sort that photographers sometimes use. Tilley makes a few different styles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Honestly think the scottevest would take some beating but I will take a look at the Tilley so thanks for that : )

I'm only walking for two weeks this time so I won't need 1kg but if I was doing the whole walk then probably 1 kg wd probably be needed. I do see yr point but I am a bit of a gram counter with my gear as don't want heavy pack. Had to be creative and do lot of research into how to lighten pack. I take the porridge in individual packs so of course every day there is a little less weight. Food for thought so to speak : )

A cargo vest, regardless of the maker, will be much hotter than an even lightly constructed backpack. If you are walking in spring or fall, that might work all right. You will need at rock-bottom minimum changes of socks and underwear, rain gear, and a few medical and hygiene supplies. Why not look at one of the truly tiny (less than 20 L) day packs?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That's a good shout. I've been eyeing smaller packs from a couple of manufacturers and I share your opinion that it wd be too hot to walk in Still curious about whether there's a way round that though : )

superbly detailed stuff. crazy Eric ha ha an umbrella in an ankle pocket. but seriously that was so useful - thanks for pointing me to it : )

it's made my mind up i am going to do it one day, whether it's on a city trip or walking

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There was a woman traveling as a 'traditional' pilgrim in 2011 that I crossed paths with over the course of some days. She traveled with only the clothes on her back. She seemed to have no money. She certainly did not carry a pack.

I met a mendicant pilgrim in 2010, and there has been occasiomal discussion where individuals have proposed something akin to this in the past couple of years. It is clearly possible.

BTW, the original post seems to have disappeared. How did that happen?

During past caminos I have seen multitudes of backpacks; usually far too loaded and resembling that of Father Christmas but without any cheery 'ho-ho-ho'. However, one pilgrim with whom I climbed O Cebreiro 2012 in a late November blizzard seemed to have the perfect solution.

He had neither pack nor sleeping bag but simply carried all essentials within 4 sturdy zip-lock bags in his pockets.Two large pockets on a snow-proof jacket contained Crendencial, passport, smartphone/charger, toiletries and a miniscule towel. Two pockets on his snow-proof trousers contained a change of briefs, second set of long underwear, second pair of hiking socks, a silk/polyester bag liner and flip flops. Nothing more was deemed necessary. ...Climbing together through a white-out for more five hours I learned this 'secret' and many more!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.