• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino

pcurtin

Hi everyone, so many people have sent message (both ways), well after happy christmas, and 16 months to go before I retire from work, decided and booked today my trip to walk the "Camino", depart Australia 4/8/2011 to Paris, then fly to Biarritz, then train to St. Jean, stay a few days then start on 8/8/2011, planning to take 4.4 weeks, then 2 days in Lisbon, train or fly to Madrid for 2 days, then fly to Paris on 15/9/2011 back to Australia. My iftness level is Ok, yet need to do some kms into my legs, all my gear is ready.
I will be travelling by myself and look forward in meeting anyone who wishes to join and travel with me.
regards and best wishes to everyone
Peter Curtin
Sorrento, Australia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Dear Peter,

I walked the Camino on the Frances way in Oct . As I am a fellow Australian, and a sports trainer as well, if there is any questions you have do not hesitate to ask, my e-mail is lmac3366@yahoo.com.au, it will be the experience of your life! I am heading back to walk again in Sept. this year as there are people to catch up with again, I know you will have an amazing time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hey, go you Pilgrim. You will do fine but staying in SJPP for a few days might be to long. Stay in Paris or Biarritz. Lisbon will be a great stop, try and take the train to Cintra, spectacular. It is a short train ride and you can re-ignite your legs to walk the ancient building route.

Bev from Canada
http://www.planningyourcamino.blogspot.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anniesantiago said:
Peter, how are you faring the floods in Australia?
Annie, I live in Victoria, some 2500kms from the floods, I live in SORRENTO, 90kms south of Melbourne.
In training as we speak, off the booze
thanks
Peter

Glad you are away from the floods. Stay safe training too. Now abou the booze ... OMG the beer and wine in Spain is wonderful Don't take the "off the booze" to your Camino if you like a drink. A GREAT bottle of Spanish wine will cost you 5 to 7 euros and sharing is good. 8)

Beverley said:
Hey, go you Pilgrim. You will do fine but staying in SJPP for a few days might be to long. Stay in Paris or Biarritz. Lisbon will be a great stop, try and take the train to Cintra, spectacular. It is a short train ride and you can re-ignite your legs to walk the ancient building route.

Bev from Canada
Ok, after finishing this walk, plan to go to Lisbon for 2- any suggestions re accommodation and also in Madrid, 2-3 days
Peter

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've stayed at both youth hostels in Lisbon.

The one in town is convenient but VERY noisy as it is built like a big "O" around the central entrance and all the noise shoots right up the center. Party goers come in at all hours - fun if you're a kid but difficult if you're me and like to sleep.

The one on the shore is lovely and quieter. It is a bit of a trek into Lisbon, but that is where I stay when I go now.

I've also simply rented a private room up by the castle. I think we paid 35 Euro for a double ensuite room with a terrace looking over the city. That was 2006 and prices probably haven't changed that much.

Don't miss the Museum of the Coaches there.. spectacular.
You can also take the train to Sintra - beautiful rain-forest walking and a sweet little hostal there.

Lastly, if you like the coast, consider Nazare... don't worry about accomodation. Ladies will meet you at the bus holding signs. Look at several apartments and take your pick. We paid $200 for a week in a room with our own bathroom and kitchen about 3 minutes from the beach.

Anniesantiago said:
I've stayed at both youth hostels in Lisbon.
Annie, thanks for this info, what about Madrid re accommodation, basically the same as Lisbon. Also I will probably stay in BIARRITZ for 1-2 days, then early morning train to ST. JEAN, then walk to RONCESVALLES as my first stop overight, is this the best way to start?
Peter

The one in town is convenient but VERY noisy as it is built like a big "O" around the central entrance and all the noise shoots right up the center. Party goers come in at all hours - fun if you're a kid but difficult if you're me and like to sleep.

The one on the shore is lovely and quieter. It is a bit of a trek into Lisbon, but that is where I stay when I go now.

I've also simply rented a private room up by the castle. I think we paid 35 Euro for a double ensuite room with a terrace looking over the city. That was 2006 and prices probably haven't changed that much.

Don't miss the Museum of the Coaches there.. spectacular.
You can also take the train to Sintra - beautiful rain-forest walking and a sweet little hostal there.

Lastly, if you like the coast, consider Nazare... don't worry about accomodation. Ladies will meet you at the bus holding signs. Look at several apartments and take your pick. We paid $200 for a week in a room with our own bathroom and kitchen about 3 minutes from the beach.

Hello, did I mention that http://www.hostelworld.com is an amazing site for good, clean, and relatively inexpensive hostels in many mid to large cities.
Check it out. You can make reservations before you go or any time along the way via computer.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
pcurtin said:
Hi everyone, so many people have sent message (both ways), well after happy christmas, and 16 months to go before I retire from work, decided and booked today my trip to walk the "Camino", depart Australia 4/8/2011 to Paris, then fly to Biarritz, then train to St. Jean, stay a few days then start on 8/8/2011, planning to take 4.4 weeks, then 2 days in Lisbon, train or fly to Madrid for 2 days, then fly to Paris on 15/9/2011 back to Australia. My iftness level is Ok, yet need to do some kms into my legs, all my gear is ready.
I will be travelling by myself and look forward in meeting anyone who wishes to join and travel with me.
regards and best wishes to everyone
Peter Curtin
Sorrento, Australia

my email address if anyone is looking for walking partners or company, pcurtin@next.com.au
regards to all
Peter

Beverley said:
Glad you are away from the floods. Stay safe training too. Now abou the booze ... OMG the beer and wine in Spain is wonderful Don't take the "off the booze" to your Camino if you like a drink. A GREAT bottle of Spanish wine will cost you 5 to 7 euros and sharing is good. 8)

OK, normally a big drinker, 2-3 dozen cans of beer or 4 bottles red, off the booze re this walk I may have one or 2 drinks
Peter

when and where are you going?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In Madrid I didn't make reservations at all. I found it simple to walk down the street and look for habitaccion signs hanging - then go in and take a peek. I found a very nice room in a lady's home for $24 for two of us, with shared bathroom. It included a Continental breakfast.

Anniesantiago said:
In Madrid I didn't make reservations at all. I found it simple to walk down the street and look for habitaccion signs hanging - then go in and take a peek. I found a very nice room in a lady's home for $24 for two of us, with shared bathroom. It included a Continental breakfast.
Many thanks I will do that sound better, Peter

Anniesantiago said:
Many thanks I will do that sound better, Peter

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Beverley said:
when and where are you going?
I have booked my flight 4/8/2011, direct from Australia to Paris, plabe from Orly to Biarritz, then train to SJPP for 2 days, then off on this adventure 8/8/2011
Peter

Beverley said:

Bev from Canada
hI, ME AGAIN, 2 QUESTIONS
1. Once I finish this walk, travel to Lisbon by train from Santiago, any problems in trains to Lisbon? How long does it take and how much in Euros, do they travel daily?
2. Then train from Lisbon to Madrid, basically the same as above
thanks
Peter

pcurtin said:
1. Once I finish this walk, travel to Lisbon by train from Santiago, any problems in trains to Lisbon? How long does it take and how much in Euros, do they travel daily?
thanks
Peter[/quote]

I have gone to Lisbon a couple of times from Santiago. The train does not go to Lisbon from Santiago and it is necessary to go by bus to Porto and then train to Lisbon. They do go several times a day as I recall. Not all bad if you have time for an overnight in Porto.
You may even be able to take a train to Madrid from Porto.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
grayland said:
pcurtin said:
thanks
Peter

I have gone to Lisbon a couple of times from Santiago. The train does not go to Lisbon from Santiago and it is necessary to go by bus to Porto and then train to Lisbon. They do go several times a day as I recall. Not all bad if you have time for an overnight in Porto.
You may even be able to take a train to Madrid from Porto.[/quote]

thank you
Peter

There is daily train service from Santiago to Lisbon. It takes about three hours and passes through Porto. Not sure of cost. Tourist center in Santiago can give all details. There is also a Portugal tourist office nearby in Santiago with details.

Peter you can rely on the tourist office in Santi. they are very good and speek English. In fact there are two tourist offices there. The bus terminal is an easy walk from the old city as is the train station. There is no need to plan all this out before you get there, busses and trains are very regular out of Santi. :p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To clarify my earlier post: The trains from Santiago to Lisbon have a stop and change of train in Vigo. So while there is train service, it is not a one non-stop train.

Re: LOOKING FOR SPONSORS -PARKINSON'S VICTORIA

Hi everyone, my name is PETER CURTIN, 64.5 years old, Type 2 and two bad knees, that's the bad news, the good news, I will walk the CAMINO from ST JEAN PIED de PORT to SANTIAGO, and then to FINISTERRE to raise money for PARKINSON'S VICTORIA, my home state here in Melbourne Australia.
I'm looking for 200 sponsors, $A84, all dollars of $A2 are tax deductions (all depends on your country). Im paying all my expenses and all the dollars go straight to PARKINSONS VICTORIA via its website, see below.
http://www.everydayhero.com.au/peter_curtin
I have just sent my photo and words about my walk to the PARKINSON'S VICTORIA website.
Many thanks if you can help. Planning to send weekly reports via my email - peter.curtin1947@hotmail.com; so if you can "sponsor" me please email your details.
Peter Curtin
Sorrento, Victoria, Australia
update very soon

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi everyone, I have just PAID my fare for my trip - leaving Australia 4/8/ 2011, lost weight and training very well, hope to reach my goal weight by the time I depart, booked room in St Jean and Orisson, my bag is half packed
We may meet somewhere sometime
Peter

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Canuck, many thanks for the donation, I will post update email re my project
to raise money for Parkinsons Victoria

MEDIIA RELEASE

Issued by the peak state body representing the needs of the Parkinson’s community

As the saying goes, the greatest journey begins with a single step. And on 8
August, 64-year old Victorian father of four, grandfather, and business man
Peter Curtin will set out to prove the point as he begins what will undoubtedly be
the most challenging, but rewarding journey of his life – with just one small step.
Not only will it be the first step of thousands, as he begins the 840km Pilgrimage along the
renowned Camino de Santiago de Compostela in Spain (otherwise known as The Way of St
James), but along the way, Peter hopes to raise awareness of the challenges faced by those
living with Parkinson’s and, most importantly, he hopes to raise $20,000 to support the work of
Parkinson’s Victoria.
With apologies to Neil Armstrong, Peter says he hopes “one small step for a man, is one giant
leap for those living with Parkinson’s disease”.
The irony of Peter’s decision to use the simple activity of walking as the means to achieve his
goals is not lost on those familiar with Parkinson’s: Parkinson’s is a progressive, neurological
condition for which there is currently no cure and which affects an individual’s ability to move
freely and with control.
This means that everyday tasks such as eating, dressing and walking can become difficult.
For those experiencing extreme symptoms or advanced stages of the condition, such simple
tasks are impossible.
Inspired by a long-time friend who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 2009, Peter has
committed to undertaking the formidable walking track that has inspired and challenged
thousands before him, all in pursuit of something greater than themselves.
“For me, this is a way to assist Parkinson’s Victoria in providing important support services and
help to people living with this disease. I’m hoping the walk will also improve my own health,
help me to lose weight and perhaps even lose my Type 2 in the process – so I can look
forward to a better quality of life in my retiring years” said Peter.
The Camino de Santiago de Compostela is actually a collection of old pilgrimage routes that
take one the breadth of Northern Spain. The Pilgrimage usually ends at the Cathedral of
Santiago de Compostela where tradition has it that the remains of the apostle Saint James are
buried.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE DATE: 18 MARCH 2011
STEPPING UP FOR PARKINSON’S
Peter will extend his route, as others have, to conclude in Finisterre, considered in medieval times as the end
of the world - making a total of 840kms, and which Peter hopes to complete in approximately four weeks and
four days.
In the lead up to his departure, and along the route, Peter will be keeping supporters updated with regular
emails and photographs. He hopes his first-hand accounts of the experience will further inspire people to
support the cause by making a donation to Parkinson’s Victoria.
He’s encouraging people to ‘get involved’ by making a simple pledge per kilometre: “A small donation of just
10 cents per kilometre that I walk means $84 donated to Parkinson’s Victoria” says Peter. “I’m more than
happy to do the hard yards [walking], if everyone else is prepared to put their money where my feet are!”
The per/km sponsorship will be just the sort of support and encouragement Peter will need to face the
physical demands of the Walk and the challenge of completing each day’s schedule.
Peter, an advertising executive for Golf Australia and Inside Sport magazine and no stranger to hard work
and deadlines, admits this a whole different kind of challenge as he prepares for the anticipated 36-40 day
Pilgrimage.
But, as Peter explains, “knowing people have literally supported me every step of the way, and knowing that
each step I take means another dollar to support the work of Parkinson’s Victoria will be a constant reminder
that this is not just about me,” said Peter. “And, it’s the closest I can get to sharing the journey with my
supporters, friends, family and even strangers who simply believe in the cause.”
Donations are fully tax deductible and 100 percent of donations will go to support the everyday work of
Parkinson’s Victoria, assisting all those living with and affected by Parkinson’s. (All associated travel costs
will be covered personally by Peter).
Peter is also welcoming anyone who would like to join him for all or part of the Pilgrimage, which will depart
Melbourne on 8 August and arrive at Finisterre on 10 September 2011.
Supporters can make a donation to Parkinson’s Victoria at Peter’s online fundraising page:
http://www.everydayhero.com.au/peter_curtin
Anyone interested in joining Peter on his Walk for Parkinson’s along the Camino de Santiago can contact
the Fundraising Coordinator at Parkinson’s Victoria: (03) 9551 1122 or judith@parkinsons-vic.org.au
Media enquiries:
 Judith Mooney: 0447 376 374 or (03) 9551 1122 or judith@parkinsons-vic.org.au
 Peter Curtin: 0409 33 7736 or peter.curtin1947@hotmail.com

Courtesy of the U.S. government and Agent Orange, I have Parkinson's, so I wish Peter and the organization great success in his fund raiser. According to this article, the Camino may be very therapeutic for those with Parkinson's Disease, so donate and walk!!!
Low-intensity exercise appears good for Parkinson's patients, study says
University of Maryland study could lead to new advice
April 15, 2011|By Meredith Cohn, The Baltimore Sun

Amy Davis, Baltimore Sun

Although doctors often advise Parkinson's disease patients to exercise — and the more intense the exercise, the better — new research from the University of Maryland Medical Center shows that long walks at a more comfortable pace may be the best medicine.

Dr. Lisa M. Shulman, co-director of the University of Maryland Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders Center, made the surprise discovery recently that low-intensity workouts make the most difference in mobility and gait, which become a problem for most of those who sufferer from the disease. The information could lead to new advice from doctors and give hope to patients who can't manage a tough workout.

"Difficulty walking is the greatest cause of disability in people with Parkinson's disease," said Shulman, also a professor of neurology. "These results have important implications for how we manage Parkinson's disease, since low-intensity exercise can be done by most people with Parkinson's, and our patients frequently ask what type of exercise they should be doing."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Many thanks for your reply and support, I'm hoping to raise A$10-20K, so any support like your email is great. I depart Australia on 4/8, just paid all monies owned on my fare, so I'm ready, my fitness level is very good, a few more kgs to lose.
regards
Peter

falcon269 said:
Courtesy of the U.S. government and Agent Orange, I have Parkinson's, so I wish Peter and the organization great success in his fund raiser. According to this article, the Camino may be very therapeutic for those with Parkinson's Disease, so donate and walk!!!

Amy Davis, Baltimore Sun

Although doctors often advise Parkinson's disease patients to exercise — and the more intense the exercise, the better — new research from the University of Maryland Medical Center shows that long walks at a more comfortable pace may be the best medicine.

Dr. Lisa M. Shulman, co-director of the University of Maryland Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders Center, made the surprise discovery recently that low-intensity workouts make the most difference in mobility and gait, which become a problem for most of those who sufferer from the disease. The information could lead to new advice from doctors and give hope to patients who can't manage a tough workout.

"Difficulty walking is the greatest cause of disability in people with Parkinson's disease," said Shulman, also a professor of neurology. "These results have important implications for how we manage Parkinson's disease, since low-intensity exercise can be done by most people with Parkinson's, and our patients frequently ask what type of exercise they should be doing."

I am very sorry to read of your illness and of its cause.
So doing lots of caminos is a great idea!

falcon269 said:

Amy Davis, Baltimore Sun

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Peter, Good Luck and Buen Camino all the way to Santiago!!

I took the overnight train from Lisbon to Madrid in July, the train ride wasn't that bad except my seat had bed bugs and they came out after they turn the lights down and even though I switch seats once i saw them crawling around (about 2 hours) i was still bitten all over my arm and shoulder and back. I chucked my backpack in Madrid along with other things. If i had to do it over, i would fly instead.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.