• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminoists in Melbourne

Melbrob

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Apr 2013
Hi to all Victorian readers,

This morning Mark and I met in Belgrave for breakfast, too many cafe con leche, and clutching our Brierleys. Mark has just returned and I am planning for April 2013. Lots of exchanging of information and recommendations for food & sleep.

Are there enough interested members in the Melbourne area to arrange a social meeting? Walkers and prospective walkers plus any support teams (family members we leave behind to answer the phone)!

I am meeting with Cejanus next Sunday in Melbourne as he will be in town for a wedding.

Rob@Melbourne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great to meet you today Rob and look forward to the warm-up walks in the Dandenong's in the near future. It would be good to meet Caminoists? :) from Melbourne & Victoria and swap info, ideas on past and future walks. Great idea.
Mark

Julie,

Thanks for the heads up - I don't want to duplicate existing connections. Sometimes it is difficult to know just where people are communicating!

Rob@Melbourne

hi rob
l have been waiting to see if any one was in my area south east melbourne. planning walk for 2013 not sure which month is the best, have read heaps. Would love to catch up with a few like minded chums cheers trish

Hi all,
Yes, I would be interested in meeting too. I've just come back this week from Europe and finishing the camino Frances. Wanting to book my next flight now to do my next walk!
Heather

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a Christmas gathering for the Camino group in Melbourne on 21st December .
It is @ Rubicon Cafe in Errol Street , North Melbourne.

The e/m address is in our[ Australian] section and the RSVP is by the 18th.

The Cafe comes highly recommended.
Best wishes to everyone for Christmas,
David and Angela

Thornley said:
There is a Christmas gathering for the Camino group in Melbourne on 21st December .
It is @ Rubicon Cafe in Errol Street , North Melbourne.
la

Wishing you all a very merry gathering, unfortunately I will not be in Melbourne at that time.

Hello! I am planning my first Camino (from SJPdP) in July 2013 and was wondering if the Melbourne 'Caminoistas' are meeting. I would love to hear first hand any tips for novices.

Peter (alias Gerontius)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
gerontius said:
Hello! I am planning my first Camino (from SJPdP) in July 2013 and was wondering if the Melbourne 'Caminoistas' are meeting. I would love to hear first hand any tips for novices.)

Hello Peter, the Melbourne group is getting together on the evening Friday 22 feb

If you send me your email by private message I will send you the contact details, unfortunately I can't send PM from the tappatalk application that I use for this forum, but I can receive PMs

Good luck with your Camino plans, I start my next Camino in June .

Frank

Hello, I am from Melbourne and am preparing to do de camino sometime mid/late April this year. So if I make it, I'll be seeing some of you guys at some point I imagine. But I have some very important questions, although they are very simple. I was wondering whether I could just ask here or private message someone (?) For example, I want to start the walk in/from St Jean Pied de Port, but which city/airport do we actually get off from...so departing from Melbourne (and directly) to a city/town closest to St Jean...?

First time voyage to this part of the world, as well as first time by myself :) So I appreciate any advice, although I've read quite a lot so far.

Hi Shirin
I have sent you a pm but you could just fly to Paris and get the fast train straight to Bayonne which connects with the St jean local train. Very fast, very easy. I left at 6 am and was in Bayonne for the 1.30 pm train to St Jean which arrived around 3pm. Plenty of time to get my credencial, look around then start the Camino bright and early next morning. There are now also direct flights with Etihad/ Emirates etc to Barcelona and Madrid which i will be using this September. These would be quicker but i am glad i spent a week looking around Paris before walking. Allowed me to sight see and get over any jet lag before the Camino:) Let me know if you want any more info and a Melbourne get together of Camenoists past and present would be a good idea.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi ausmarko,

I have received a pm, it merely quotes my post, and I don’t know if that was intended.

Yes it has been a while since I posted this, and now I have already bought by flight tickets and train tickets. So I’m flying to Paris (CDG) on the 23rd of this month, and shall be arriving there the next day at 7:04 AM. From there I will be catching the 8:19 AM train to Bordeaux St Jean, and after (12:37) a change of trains, the train then journeys to Bayonne at 12:48 and arriving there at 14:38. From Bayonne (still on the 24th), the train departs at 7:45 PM and arrives in St Jean Pied de Port at 9:04 PM.

In regards to train tickets, which I now obtain after purchasing them online and receiving them via mail, I am not sure as what exactly “to do” with them before actually getting on the train…What does it require me to do?

I think it is a good idea to spend some time in Paris before commencing the walk, although for me this would mean another trip to Europe in general. Had I “planned” this camino earlier, I would have managed to consider such event, instead I dropped out of university, and I want to walk, walk, walk, and run for my life, and save my soul.

Have a fantastic day! Melbourne weather is nice today..not per gloomy-autumn weather I reckon :D

Sorry, no something went amiss there.
Ticketing is easy. It probably has a bar code and you just wave it under the machine.
Plenty of people around to help if it doesn't work.
You will have a ball walking. It is fantastic to walk at your own pace, or if you want to meet lots of people and walk with them a while and enjoy the towns and your new friends company at dinner in the evenings. At first i was walking fast and staying in the big hostels, but half way through my Camino changed completely from very hot days with early starts and lunchtime finishes, to later starts in cooler weather, walking slower and finising later. I walked with others, slowed down, had picnics during the day and arrived mid to late afternoon and enjoyed the journey walking with others. I actually witnessed a distinct change of seasons from my start in early September (some days 38 degrees) until mid September when the days became milder (25ish degrees) . I also sought out smaller more intimate Albergues past the Brierley guide book suggestions, where group meals and smaller groups meant you got to know people better. I did not like the 10pm curfew though as i missed a few great festivals and fireworks as we were imprisoned! My next Camino will avoid lock-in Albergues when there is a festival in town:) Have a great time and don't worry. You will meet lots of people and keep an open mind and just enjoy the walk. You get into a rhythm and by the end you will want to keep going:) (I am doing the Portugese Camino this September and hopefully back to do the Camino Frances or Norte again in 2014. (It gets into your system:)

Lovely reply. That is more my speed, too (not so much an early, early, bird, get it done). I am starting May 25th, and come what may... (viajo por bici). Posts like yours remind me why I'm going... Susie in Eugene

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Shirin

We will be on the path around the same time as you - leaving Melbourne 18 April. Long flight and overnight train to Bayonne before starting from St Jean on 22 April. So so so looking forward to those first days, when the plans become reality. Have added to our pack in light of the current weather in Europe. But we have given ourselves plenty of time, so no rush.
Buen camino

Lex and Judy

ausmarko, thank you for your response! And lovely it was too. Sounds like you did have a fantastic journey. Thank you for sharing it with us : ) I am looking at the 10 PM curfew you spoke about, so I’ll have to look out for that hahaa. And I myself don’t like the sound of lock-in Albergues (although being a 24 year old female, well frankly just about everyone is nagging me about safety, I do understand however...) as I’d love to watch the moon, star gaze..and perhaps come out at dawn or dusk for a chance of seeing certain creatures..of course, keeping it quiet for everyone else still asleep ..I like what you said, “keep an open mind and just enjoy the walk”, essential if you ask me, something to be conscious and aware of, as with everything else. All the best to you for your upcoming caminos, the walk is persistent.

susiekerr all the best to you too. Enjoy!

Hi Lex and Judy, great to hear! It is indeed a long flight from Melbourne to Paris. Yes no rush! Initially, I thought I would walk for about 2 months, but now it is 36 days, which for my pace is a little bit rushed…All the best to you both, and hopefully the weather will be nice for all of us

Are there any more Melbourne get-togethers planned for Melbourne Caminoists in the near future?
If not, is anyone interested in a catch-up? I missed all the previous posts since Xmas, so maybe another is in order?:) I am interested to talk to anyone who has done the Portuguese Camino, especially from Fatima or Porto. If there is enough interest, we can catch up.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ausmarko said:
Are there any more Melbourne get-togethers planned for Melbourne Caminoists in the near future?

I believe they try to get together about once each two months , that would make the next near the end of the April

Hi All
Leaving Melbourne Mon 27 May for SJJP, via London, Dublin and Biarritz. Start from SJJP on 30 May and complete by 28 June
vlogan

Have a great trip....i would leave tomorrow and do it all again if I could:)

I will have to wait until September 7th when i do the Portuguese Camino from Porto...can't wait....I may even go and do a section of the Frances again if i have the time...should have a few days to spare so will check out which section i would like to do.

Post some pics when you get back.

I Depart Melbourne 21 may and Will make a small detour to Istanbul before starting at Roncessvalles about 30/31 may

Hi All
I would be interested in meeting up with someone, before I go, who has done the camino. I live in Moonee Ponds
vlogan

vlogan said:
Hi All
I would be interested in meeting up with someone, before I go, who has done the camino. I live in Moonee Ponds
vlogan

Hi vlogan, if you are still keen to meet before you leave, let me know. I am doing my second camino in July starting Bayonne / Burgos / Santiago / Finisterra.

Gracias

Sara

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I sent you a PM.
Would love to catch-up. Anyone else want to catch up and talk Camino, i am always interested in swapping stories and tips. I am walking the Camino Portuguese this September so would also love to swap tips on that Camino.

Greetings Ausmarko and Saritakazilleris. I am embarking on my first Camino, starting from SJDPP in early July this year. I have not yet managed to connect with any local pilgrims who have walked the Camino Frances at about that time of year and would dearly love to get some advice. I live in Hampton in Melbourne and will be flying out on 15 June.

There is a Melbourne Camino group meeting/dinner next week, I won't be going because I will be on my way to my next Camino:). I'm sure you'll get some good advice there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
gerontius said:
Greetings Ausmarko and Saritakazilleris. I am embarking on my first Camino, starting from SJDPP in early July this year. I have not yet managed to connect with any local pilgrims who have walked the Camino Frances at about that time of year and would dearly love to get some advice. I live in Hampton in Melbourne and will be flying out on 15 June.

Hi guys,

Love to catch up, swap stories. Can catch up a my place for a cuppa / coffee or at a cafe. Let me know.

Hi,
I am from Geelong and heading off on my third attempt at the Camino in September, start walking from St Jean on the 16th. My first attempt was in 2007 and I managed about 12 days before I lost my way..
Returned last year with my wife and granddaughter. This time we managed 420 k covering various stages but walking the last 100 from Sarria. The journey was good but there was a sense of emptiness when we reached Santiago.
I return this year solo to complete the walk; not coming home until I do.
Good luck to all future pilgrims.

Rod said:
Hi,
I am from Geelong and heading off on my third attempt at the Camino in September, start walking from St Jean on the 16th. My first attempt was in 2007 and I managed about 12 days before I lost my way..
Returned last year with my wife and granddaughter. This time we managed 420 k covering various stages but walking the last 100 from Sarria. The journey was good but there was a sense of emptiness when we reached Santiago.
I return this year solo to complete the walk; not coming home until I do.
Good luck to all future pilgrims.

Good luck with this years Camino:) travelling the Camino has its advantages, ( only one person to keep happy )

I have just completed the Camino France's early this week, I am now on the Camino Portuguese which is somewhat different in atmosphere and infrastructure

Buen Camino

Frank

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What can I say, you are inspirational, having completed one and following up with a second.
I will keep you in mind as I walk in sept ..
Buen Camino

Rod said:
What can I say, you are inspirational, having completed one and following up with a second.
I will keep you in mind as I walk in sept ..
Buen Camino

Rod once you have gotten into the rhythm ( habit ) of walking each day it is hard to change ;)

Hi to all Victorian readers,

This morning Mark and I met in Belgrave for breakfast, too many cafe con leche, and clutching our Brierleys. Mark has just returned and I am planning for April 2013. Lots of exchanging of information and recommendations for food & sleep.

Are there enough interested members in the Melbourne area to arrange a social meeting? Walkers and prospective walkers plus any support teams (family members we leave behind to answer the phone)!

I am meeting with Cejanus next Sunday in Melbourne as he will be in town for a wedding.

Rob@Melbourne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola Camino pilgrims from Melbourne (Australia). I have recently created a "Meet Up Group called "Camino Community in Melbourne" here is the link
http://www.meetup.com/Camino-Community/
This is purely a social meet up group where past Camino pilgrims from Melbourne (and surrounding areas) can gather once a month and share their experiences and keep the spirit of the Camino alive within our hearts. I also encourage any future pilgrims who are considering making this amazing journey along the way to join us before hand and hopefully we will inspire you and give you the opportunity to gain some valuable information from our collective experiences. ( I live in Langwarrin) Buen Camino

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.