• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminos by Season

WestKirsty

Time of past OR future Camino
Next up: Viejo/Olvidado
Hi! I've just recently finished the Camino Vasco del Interior and prior to that, at Christmas, a week on the Frances. I'm feeling the low of not being on a Camino and yet also the excitement of/obsession with starting to plan the next one! I suppose many on here can relate. My experience on the Vasco really opened me up to looking at some of the less popular routes and now I feel overwhelmed with choices for the next (and then the next after that etc.)

Due to work commitments my time off is usually Christmas break, Easter break and sometimes I can get time free in the summer as well. Given this, weather and service availability are issues and the chosen route will vary depending on when I can get out there - work decides my time off, not me. I'm sure I'm not alone in this :p

With this in mind I've started looking at various routes I'm interested in and listing when they would be best to do, possible to do (given that mountain routes are snow dependent and this varies year to year) and not really worth considering at that time of year.

I've searched through this forum and there are loads of threads with really helpful information about individual routes (i.e. Can I walk (route) in winter?) and also months (i.e. Can I walk (route) in (month)?) but I haven't seen a list compiled so I thought I might start one! Perhaps others would be interested as well? Or maybe I've missed something on the forum in my searches? Or maybe I'm just going a little Camino crazy after my recent really great experiences?? :p

I know it may seem obvious - do Northern routes in summer, Southern routes in winter - but I suspect it's more subtle than that. I lived in Granada for 6 months when I moved to Spain and was shocked at how cold it gets!! I was there in March and night temperatures were regularly around 0 degrees and I notice that winter temps are often much colder in Granada and surrounding areas than where I live in Bilbao. So the idea of walking the Mozárabe in winter might not be the warmer option some might assume - at least around Granada.

Sorry for the long post and thanks if you've read this far! I'm curious to hear any thoughts on this - whether you have any route/season recommendations, have seen a thread/list I've missed or even if you think I'm completely out to lunch on thinking this is a good idea.

Happy planning!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a good idea. Perhaps Caminos by month.

I started the VDLP from Seville in January and had light thermal jacket, gloves and hats. Had no problem during the day as it was a pleasant 15 C. Where I did have an issue was the evenings when at least one albergue didn't have heating. So as you may not have a choice of overnight accommodation in the remoter areas, I'd plan for cold evenings/nights next time.

The other point you make indirectly, is that coastal caminos can be better than inland caminos depending on the season. And vice versa.

In the happy, easier past years, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010, late autumn/winter were the best times to walk the CF for me.

Walking off-season during those past years I rarely saw more than 20 pilgrims at one time. There usually was a strong sense of camaraderie amongst those on the route especially during storms or difficult stretches

Accommodation started to close mid October but some place was always open. Hospitaleros usually could give advice on who/what was available on the next stage. There were no summer crowds and beds/bunks were available. I usually slept in an albergue, often the sole pilgrim, but also in back rooms of an open bar/restaurant.

Helpful passing strangers also gave advice. Little was hectic; without the hoards of summer all had time to share info....In retrospect it was close to perfect.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi! I've just recently finished the Camino Vasco del Interior and prior to that, at Christmas, a week on the Frances. I'm feeling the low of not being on a Camino and yet also the excitement of/obsession with starting to plan the next one! I suppose many on here can relate. My experience on the Vasco really opened me up to looking at some of the less popular routes and now I feel overwhelmed with choices for the next (and then the next after that etc.)

Due to work commitments my time off is usually Christmas break, Easter break and sometimes I can get time free in the summer as well. Given this, weather and service availability are issues and the chosen route will vary depending on when I can get out there - work decides my time off, not me. I'm sure I'm not alone in this :p

With this in mind I've started looking at various routes I'm interested in and listing when they would be best to do, possible to do (given that mountain routes are snow dependent and this varies year to year) and not really worth considering at that time of year.

I've searched through this forum and there are loads of threads with really helpful information about individual routes (i.e. Can I walk (route) in winter?) and also months (i.e. Can I walk (route) in (month)?) but I haven't seen a list compiled so I thought I might start one! Perhaps others would be interested as well? Or maybe I've missed something on the forum in my searches? Or maybe I'm just going a little Camino crazy after my recent really great experiences?? :p

I know it may seem obvious - do Northern routes in summer, Southern routes in winter - but I suspect it's more subtle than that. I lived in Granada for 6 months when I moved to Spain and was shocked at how cold it gets!! I was there in March and night temperatures were regularly around 0 degrees and I notice that winter temps are often much colder in Granada and surrounding areas than where I live in Bilbao. So the idea of walking the Mozárabe in winter might not be the warmer option some might assume - at least around Granada.

Sorry for the long post and thanks if you've read this far! I'm curious to hear any thoughts on this - whether you have any route/season recommendations, have seen a thread/list I've missed or even if you think I'm completely out to lunch on thinking this is a good idea.

Happy planning!

The months to do the Camino
(Source: www.vivecamino.com, translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Attachments

• The months to do the Camino.pdf
    27.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I've searched through this forum and there are loads of threads with really helpful information about individual routes (i.e. Can I walk (route) in winter?) and also months (i.e. Can I walk (route) in (month)?) but I haven't seen a list compiled so I thought I might start one!

I think this is a really promising idea and with all the knowledge on this forum I'm sure we could come up with a good list. A couple of potential issues are:

- putting too much stock in anecdotal evidence that may not reflect typical weather patterns (e.g. just because pilgrim X had a wet July / dry December on Route Y, that doesn't mean that weather should be expected in those months every year)

- what different pilgrims define as good conditions to walk in will vary - e.g. some can't handle heat, others can't handle cold; some like overcast days, others want blue sky; some don't mind rain, others hate it, some want pilgrim company, others want solitude etc. So can you even define by consensus what constitutes optimum conditions before even starting to think about when those apply to each route?

The months to do the Camino
(Source: www.vivecamino.com, translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
This list is not at all specific to different routes, though. It mentions the VdlP once and apart from that just speaks generally (and presumably mostly with the Francés in mind), so it's not really what the OP is thinking of creating.

There is a Camino in Gran Canaria, all I can tell you is that is quite short at only 66kms. Seeing as this is a winter vacation destination the weather could be ideal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks very much for the replies! I appreciate the thoughts on when to walk certain routes. @jungleboy , I agree that it could be tricky determining when best to walk as it really is subjective.

I think there's a lot of information in guidebooks etc. about the most popular routes - Frances, Norte, Portuguese, for example. What I'm most interested in are the lesser walked rotes - Lana, Olvidado, Aragones, Mozarabe, Levante, Ebro and thank you @Silencio Por Favor for the Gran Canaria suggestion!

There may also be 2 different questions here - CAN you SAFELY walk a given route/section in that month/season? vs. When is the BEST time?

For example, I've been looking into the Olvidado and it seems that the first week could probably be done all year round - might not be particularly fun for some in the winter rain but potentially doable. But then the route heads through mountains which aren't passable in winter and doing the mountain alternatives could still be impossible/unsafe in Spring depending on when the snow melts.

Likewise, some of the Southern routes can be dangerous when the temperatures start to climb.

This is a bit different then deciding if I actually want to walk a route, which considers possible daily weather, accommodation availability etc.

I was starting to make up a little spreadsheet for myself anyway (to help with my choices for next routes to walk) and sounds like others might be interested as well so I'll share it here.

Appreciate any other thoughts folks have!

All the best :)

Thank you for this thread @WestKirsty I think your ‘project’ is excellent - especially for those interested in the lesser walked routes.

Some small input weather wise - We walked Mozarabe (Granada to Merida) in May 2015 and Madrid Way starting 10 September 2018 (and the Salvador directly after). In each case - cold mornings, then hot from late morning through the afternoon - but not ‘crazy hot’ if you know what I mean. 😎

There may also be 2 different questions here - CAN you SAFELY walk a given route/section in that month/season? vs. When is the BEST time?

For example, I've been looking into the Olvidado and it seems that the first week could probably be done all year round - might not be particularly fun for some in the winter rain but potentially doable. But then the route heads through mountains which aren't passable in winter and doing the mountain alternatives could still be impossible/unsafe in Spring depending on when the snow melts.

Likewise, some of the Southern routes can be dangerous when the temperatures start to climb.
Let's start there then, with your first question - CAN you SAFELY walk a given route/section in that month/season? - and expanding on your two examples.

Which are the routes that can have impassable stretches in winter due to snow/mountain passes?
Olvidado, Madrid, Salvador, Francés (Napoleon). Vadiniense? Which others?

What are the affected months?
November-March?

Which are the routes that can have extreme heat in summer (defined as what? 40C/104F+?) that can make it dangerous?
Mozárabe, Vía de la Plata + southern tributaries (Sur, Estrecho, Serrana, Augusta), Nascente (Portugal). Lana? Levante? Sagunto? Catalan? Which others?

June-September to be on the safe side, especially July-August?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Let's start there then, with your first question - CAN you SAFELY walk a given route/section in that month/season? - and expanding on your two examples.

Which are the routes that can have impassable stretches in winter due to snow/mountain passes?

November-March?

Which are the routes that can have extreme heat in summer (defined as what? 40C/104F+?) that can make it dangerous?
Mozárabe, Vía de la Plata + southern tributaries (Sur, Estrecho, Serrana, Augusta), Nascente (Portugal). Lana? Levante? Sagunto? Catalan? Which others?

I am thinking the Primitivo would be at least difficult, during the winter

November-March?

Thanks for this! You've taken a different approach than I had but I like it! Straight to the point!

The other night I started this spreadsheet (combining my love of Caminos and organizing things :p); more detailed than what you've started here. The Caminos listed are on my wish list (which keeps getting longer) but I can certainly add others as well as time goes on, and if it's of use to others. I started with the Aragones as that's currently at the top of my to do list but is weather dependent so I wanted to look at the posts on the forum and summarize them in terms of weather and albergue accommodation.

Now I'm thinking of a summary tab with the questions as you've outlined them here and then the more detailed info. in another tab. And then a cover sheet explaining what it's all about, that it's a relatively subjective account etc. etc. if others want to look at it?

Thanks for this! You've taken a different approach than I had but I like it! Straight to the point!

The other night I started this spreadsheet (combining my love of Caminos and organizing things :p); more detailed than what you've started here. The Caminos listed are on my wish list (which keeps getting longer) but I can certainly add others as well as time goes on, and if it's of use to others. I started with the Aragones as that's currently at the top of my to do list but is weather dependent so I wanted to look at the posts on the forum and summarize them in terms of weather and albergue accommodation.

Now I'm thinking of a summary tab with the questions as you've outlined them here and then the more detailed info. in another tab. And then a cover sheet explaining what it's all about, that it's a relatively subjective account etc. etc. if others want to look at it?
Hello,
Just wondering if you have continued to work on your proposed spreadsheet? It would be interesting to see what you have developed thus far, if you are willing to share.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,
Just wondering if you have continued to work on your proposed spreadsheet? It would be interesting to see what you have developed thus far, if you are willing to share.
My apologies for the late reply! I haven't made too much progress and to be honest, forgot about it! I will have another go in the coming weeks and post a link to it here.

All the best!

Thank you. I will look forward to reading what you have developed.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back