• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminos Frances/Salvador/Primitivo/Finisterre-Muxia: Possible to visit Cross of Christ?

SoLive

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2018)
2+ questions actually!! LOL! One about The Cross of Christ (I think it's in the Monestary of Lebaniego?) & the other about getting from Muxia to Madrid at the end of my pilgrimage.

I start my first EVER Caminos in Sept.'18! After watching & LOVING several dvd's on the Camino, (recommended by my local REI Rep/fellow peregrino) the dvd 'Footprints: The Path of Your Life' introduced me to the 'Cross of Christ' & I feel if it is even remotely possible, I MUST see it!

1) Is there a way to incorporate a visit into my existing itinerary without actually adding another full camino? And is it possible for a non catholic pilgrim to see, kiss or touch the actual cross? If so how do I gain permission?

2) If walking from Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia how would you recommend getting to Madrid. I've read that some have walked back to Finisterre to a lighthouse & end their pilgrimage by enjoying a sunset there. Anyone have suggestions? This sounds beautiful!

I will being flying back to the states (Atlanta, Ga.) from Madrid but don't really know how to plan to get there nor how to properly end my Camino! (Haven't even STARTED & already emotional by the idea of its ending! LOL!)

Thanks in advance!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you really want to see the Liebana cross you will have to take some time out of your planned camino, or go at the very end of your trip. It is in a remote mountain monastery well north of the Camino Frances, the Sanctuary of Santo Toribio de Liebana.
You can walk there from Boadilla del Camino on a waymarked path northward, the Camino Lebaniego Castellano. That takes about 10 days, the scenery is breathtaking. You can download a guide to the trail at www.palenciaturismo. es.
Otherwise, you can take a combination of rail and bus to the Camino del Norte town of San Vicente de Barquera, and walk along the Camino from there down into the mountains to Potes and Santo Toribio. It takes four or five days, it is waymarked and there are places to stay, you can find discussions of it here on the forum.
YOu can also just rent a car in Santiago and drive yourself there. I am not Catholic, and I have seen and touched the cruz... they don't ask you what your religion is! Be there for Mass, (it's good to be there when there's a bus group) and sometimes the priest will get out the cross and let people marvel at it individually. Let him know you've come from afar to see it, they are often very considerate.

When you've finished you can drive yourself down to Madrid and head home from there... or drop off the car in Santander and take the train or bus.

If you really want to see the Liebana cross you will have to take some time out of your planned camino, or go at the very end of your trip. It is in a remote mountain monastery well north of the Camino Frances, the Sanctuary of Santo Toribio de Liebana.
You can walk there from Boadilla del Camino on a waymarked path northward, the Camino Lebaniego Castellano. That takes about 10 days, the scenery is breathtaking. You can download a guide to the trail at www.palenciaturismo. es.
Otherwise, you can take a combination of rail and bus to the Camino del Norte town of San Vicente de Barquera, and walk along the Camino from there down into the mountains to Potes and Santo Toribio. It takes four or five days, it is waymarked and there are places to stay, you can find discussions of it here on the forum.
YOu can also just rent a car in Santiago and drive yourself there. I am not Catholic, and I have seen and touched the cruz... they don't ask you what your religion is! Be there for Mass, (it's good to be there when there's a bus group) and sometimes the priest will get out the cross and let people marvel at it individually. Let him know you've come from afar to see it, they are often very considerate.

When you've finished you can drive yourself down to Madrid and head home from there... or drop off the car in Santander and take the train or bus.

Rebekah Scott! Thank you so very much for this information! I haven't been able to let go of the hope of seeing this cross & the options you've shared offer more & more possibilities!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And the planning continues!.......

Thanks to some wonderful, detailed information from Rebekah Scott, I think I have a 'detour' plan that would allow me to visit both the Cruz de Ferro :)(which I recently discovered I would have missed out on once I begin the Camino Salvador in Leon:eek:o_O) & the Monastery de Santo Toribio! :)

Plan: On Camino Frances, keep walking from Leon to Cruz de Ferro, taxi back to Leon for the night, rent a car next morning & drive to Monastery De Santo Toribio (looks like visiting hours are from 10am -1pm & 4pm-6pm & it's only 2h 40min from Leon), back to Leon for the night, begin Camino Salvador next morning!!

Anyone have suggestions on where I might be able to get transportation back to Leon from Cruz de Ferro?
From what I've been able to find it looks like the next place to do that is after making the descent in to Molinaseca!

Other thoughts/input are welcome!!!??

Last edited:
Thank you so much Canuck! I will look into doing just that!:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back