• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminos one after another

F

Former member 95219

I wondered if anyone had done one Camino after another at anytime and how it felt mentally and physically. Was it too much, did it get boring, not enjoyable etc! Last year I did the Portuguesa (from Porto) ending 06 July and then started Frances on 26 July. The Frances was unplanned and I started at a few days notice. They were very easy logistically and ok physically and mentally! Restrictions permitting I am eyeing up VDLP and Norte this year which I know are harder physically and logistically, and also heat dependent! Any thoughts?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Given we're fast approaching the warmer/hotter weather in Spain - I take it you'd be looking to do the Norte first with the VdlP following in the fall? I've noted a few BLOGs/VLOGs where pilgrims have commented on the hot weather peaking well into September/October in southern Spain. A great adventure you have planned! Good luck.

I did multiple Caminos while I was living in Biarritz in 2013 to 2016. I loved them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've done as many as five different routes over seven weeks or so in a single walk, sometimes consecutive and continuous but mostly broken by a bus journey or two. Usually I end up in Santiago but not always, it isn't my goal anymore. For me the journey and the people I meet along the way are more important than any destination, though of course the first time entering Santiago and arriving on the square in front of the cathedral is very special.

I have always regarded the journey as a single camino and I think my longest to date is about 1,700km or so. After such a long period of walking in the same boots and the same worn out clothes, I'm ready to come home to my own bed, my family and my life...but a part of me always wants to just keep walking forever...

We have mostly wonderful days, but I'm sure we all get days when we question what we're doing tramping across a foreign land and days we feel lonely and long for the familiar comforts of home but looking back, they are all glorious days...

Last edited:
Look up Efren Gonzales on Youtube for his Camino Portugues and Norte series of videos. He did the Norte right on the heels of the CP and I think you can get a good feel from him about the experience, though, of course, he's pretty irrepressibly optimistic as a personality.

I did the Via Francigena one year after completing the Camino de Santiago. I was i great shape when I got home and I found that all my old clothes fit! I was 69 for the Camino and 70 for the Francigena. Anytime I thought about being bored I would remember that countless millions of Pilgrims probably felt the same way I did. The fact that St. Francis had walked this same path usually picked me right up. I know the devil has been trying to trick and discourage Pilgrims for thousands of years. Could the boredom and fatigue be compounded by the devil? Maybe, probably. But just the idea that I was in Italy or Spain was very uplifting. I knew the journey would soon be over and I would be back home wishing I was still on my pilgrimage, which is true. Not a day goes by that I don't think about some incident that happened on my pilgrimages. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did the the Camino from Le Puy and continued on the CF to Santiago. I got to SJPP at the end of September. Even arriving in St. Jean was a shock to the system after the almost complete solitude being in France for a month. Solitude and silence walking. Even at night there was almost no conversation for this pilgrim as I spoke no French and I doubt I’d i met 5 people the whole way that spoke English. I can do on I. Spanish and only met one or two Spanish speakers. Even in St. Jean there was a bombardment of the senses as there were still lots of pilgrims preparing to go. I stayed in Belari and I have to say that is one wonderful albergue. That night most of the people were beginning their first pilgrimage and it was a little overwhelming but fun to help answer questions but most of all tell people just take that first step, listen to your body and enjoy the unknown.
The second huge difference I noticed profoundly was walking to Orisson the next day. After walking from Le Puy which is a more challenging way by far to me, and having already walked over 700k I was lost in my mindless state happily walking up the hill. When my friend who I walked with from Le Puy but rarely walked together passed me as he started later said he was hungry let’s eat. I turned to him and said you know I am always up to eat something. Let’s get a bocadillo when we get to Orison. Well I looked up and we were about 20 meters from the patio! Needless to say walking to Roncesvalles was a piece of cake. But walking down that last 5k was still painful. I loved the experience of walking 1400k and also learned that for me less people translates to a more enjoyable camino for me. But that is me. My wife complained I was gone too long. So now I keep my Caminos to between 8-1100k. It is our compromise. Long enough for me and not too long for her. She enjoys the time away from me, who wouldn’t? When she really starts to miss me she knows I will be home soon. Works great for us.
Off to the VDLP Sevilla to Muxia of the COVID gods allow starting October 15
Mas o menos. Probably menos. I arrive in Sevilla on the 11th. Want to check it out before I go.

Last edited:
I did the the Camino from Le Puy and continued on the CF to Santiago. I got to SJPP at the end of September. Even arriving in St. Jean was a shock to the system after the almost complete solitude being in France for a month. Solitude and silence walking. Even at night there was almost no conversation for this pilgrim as I spoke no French and I doubt I’d i met 5 people the whole way that spoke English. I can do on I. Spanish and only met one or two Spanish speakers. Even in St. Jean there was a bombardment of the senses as there were still lots of pilgrims preparing to go. I stayed in Belari and I have to say that is one wonderful albergue. That night most of the people were beginning their first pilgrimage and it was a little overwhelming but fun to help answer questions but most of all tell people just take that first step, listen to your body and enjoy the unknown.
The second huge difference I noticed profoundly was walking to Orisson the next day. After walking from Le Puy which is a more challenging way by far to me, and having already walked over 700k I was lost in my mindless state happily walking up the hill. When my friend who I walked with from Le Puy but rarely walked together passed me as he started later said he was hungry let’s eat. I turned to him and said you know I am always up to eat something. Let’s get a bocadillo when we get to Orison. Well I looked up and we were about 20 meters from the patio! Needless to say walking to Roncesvalles was a piece of cake. But walking down that last 5k was still painful. I loved the experience of walking 1400k and also learned that for me less people translates to a more enjoyable camino for me. But that is me. My wife complained I was gone too long. So now I keep my Caminos to between 8-1100k. It is our comprise. Long enough for me and not too long for her. She enjoys the time away from me, who wouldn’t? When she really starts to miss me she knows I will be home soon. Works great for us.
Off to the VDLP Sevilla to Muxia of the COVID gods allow starting October 15
Mas o menos. Probably menos. I arrive in Sevilla on the 11th. Want to check it out before I go.
Great message. There’s something about doing 1500 km that intrigues me. I still smile to myself when I realize that I’ve walked 1000 km twice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm done many back-to-back Caminos. :)
Your body is trained and you are in the pilgrim mindset - easy-peasy! :)

The only thing that stopped me from doing additional caminos - - - is the EU maximum stay rule for Canadians! Only three months in a six-month period allowed.

Interestingly enough, I recently found out I am eligible to apply for Italian citizenship through my Grandfather. It is a very long (and expensive) process but an EU passport would solve my Camino issues. :p (I can also apply for South African citizenship but that wouldn't help anything!)

The only thing that stopped me from doing additional caminos - - - is the EU maximum stay rule for Canadians! Only three months in a six-month period allowed.

Interestingly enough, I recently found out I am eligible to apply for Italian citizenship through my Grandfather. It is a very long (and expensive) process but an EU passport would solve my Camino issues. :p (I can also apply for South African citizenship but that wouldn't help anything!)
I recommend the process even if it’s expensive and time-consuming. It seems that many North Americans are reversing the east to west immigration trend. That second passport could make a nice sojourn after a Francigena possible! :)

To me, the Le Puy followed by the Frances wouldn't seem like multiple back to back Caminos. Neither will the Camino Madrid, followed by the San Salvador and the Primitivo, which I am planning. It's all one Camino until I get to Santiago (or Finisterre or Muxia), just along different routes.

Now if I were to follow the Portugues immediately by the Norte, like Efren did, or switch to the Ingles or the Portugues after a Camino, then it would feel like doing one Camino after another.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To me, the Le Puy followed by the Frances wouldn't seem like multiple back to back Caminos. Neither will the Camino Madrid, followed by the San Salvador and the Primitivo, which I am planning. It's all one Camino until I get to Santiago (or Finisterre or Muxia), just along different routes.

Now if I were to follow the Portugues immediately by the Norte, like Efren did, or switch to the Ingles or the Portugues after a Camino, then it would feel like doing one Camino after another.
Hi David, I can understand your reasoning and I have only done one "back to back" so I can't challenge your thinking regarding Caminos that connect to form one longer Camino, especially in Spain. But I would disagree after starting in Le Puy. The Camino in France is so much different than any Spanish Camino I have ever done. The mindset of the people. The way was not very important in the lives of the day to day French people I met in towns and villages. Of course the food is wildly different (and for my taste better in France, without a doubt). The gites, and pensions are also a great contrast to the Spanish way. I do not believe their is a concept of "Camino Families" whatsoever. Most of the people who walk are French and then followed by Germans. I do not think I met more than 5 people who could speak any English all the way. People walk with friends or alone. Virtually everyone is retired and there is definitely not an International feel. I met no one from Any Western Hemisphere country, Asians, Africans, or Eastern Europeans. The only Aussie was my friend Matt who I walked with. Signage is completely different and for me, without a guide book (except for a pretty useless Michelin guide) is more difficult to follow.
So maybe they are back to but to me they were as different as night and day.
I would be interested in hearing your take and anyone who has walked both (or any route in France that ends in St. Jean, Puente La Reina or Irun, did I miss any places I am sure I have) and continued on to Santiago.

Great message. There’s something about doing 1500 km that intrigues me. I still smile to myself when I realize that I’ve walked 1000 km twice.
Hi, Check out what I wrote in response to David Tallan. If you would like to add your 10 cents about your feelings on this topic I would like to hear them.

Look up Efren Gonzales on Youtube for his Camino Portugues and Norte series of videos. He did the Norte right on the heels of the CP and I think you can get a good feel from him about the experience, though, of course, he's pretty irrepressibly optimistic as a personality.
...but brilliant to watch!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I agree. This is what I meant about it being a single camino experience, a continuum. However way it switches or changes course, when you're in that mode as a pilgrim, and without time constraints, you can just walk and walk....

Last edited:
2018/19: Paris to SdC via SJPdP on Frances...then Portuguese (from Lisbon)...then Norte (joining Primitivo) to SdC....Muxia and Finisterre too. C.3,500km in 8 months. In a nutshell, brilliant!
Slightly longer version, it becomes all encompassing. The usual stuff you read on every Camino blog, but maybe more intense - not sure, as you have to be there. Simplicity (what's in your backpack?), solitude, deep friendships, welcome (and unwelcome) acquaintances, anger, joy and so on...Life defining (maybe)....Addictive (definitely).

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the Frances from SJPdP to Santiago, then out to Finisterra and Muxia by myself in 2019, then my wife and daughter arrived in SdC, and we did the Ingles together. I was still in solo walking mode, which made things interesting. Both caminos were In Vicaro Pro for my parents.

As somebody above said, I was ready to be done but ready to continue walking. I think I said something like, "I'm Camino'd out," but here I am, ready to start in Geneva or Le Puy now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wondered if anyone had done one Camino after another at anytime and how it felt mentally and physically. Was it too much, did it get boring, not enjoyable etc! Last year I did the Portuguesa (from Porto) ending 06 July and then started Frances on 26 July. The Frances was unplanned and I started at a few days notice. They were very easy logistically and ok physically and mentally! Restrictions permitting I am eyeing up VDLP and Norte this year which I know are harder physically and logistically, and also heat dependent! Any thoughts?
In Fall 2018 we did the Via Tolosana from Arles through to the via Aragones ending on the Camino Frances. About 50 days I think. It seemed to me just to be one long enjoyable Camino with a beginning and a hard end to a blissful journey with my two friends. No heat problems as it was Fall and supplies were replenished as needed. Being from Western Canada and having expensive airfares, I prefer to do long extended caminos. Camino ( Mozarabe) number three from Almeria in Fall 2021 Covid permitting.

2018/19: Paris to SdC via SJPdP on Frances...then Portuguese (from Lisbon)...then Norte (joining Primitivo) to SdC....Muxia and Finisterre too. C.3,500km in 8 months. In a nutshell, brilliant!
Slightly longer version, it becomes all encompassing. The usual stuff you read on every Camino blog, but maybe more intense - not sure, as you have to be there. Simplicity (what's in your backpack?), solitude, deep friendships, welcome (and unwelcome) acquaintances, anger, joy and so on...Life defining (maybe)....Addictive (definitely).
Hey Flying Scotsman- did you happen to write a blog on this, or anything similar? It sounds like a trusty amazing journey - it’d be great to hear more...

I'm also eligible for Italian citizenship through a grandfather, but the cost has kept me from going forward. Good luck!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Flying Scotsman- did you happen to write a blog on this, or anything similar? It sounds like a trusty amazing journey - it’d be great to hear more...
Nice to hear from you again Dr Nic. It was amazing thank you, and no...I am neither a diarist or a photographer (certainly not a vlogger or blogger). If you have any specific questions that may be relevant to your future Caminos - I'd be delighted to assist if I can. There are many, more travelled pilgrims on here than me - but will endeavour to assist your post questions if I believe I can add value. All the best, TFS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought, you could walk one camino, arrive in Santiago, then walk back out of Santiago along another, but it might get tedious with the number of people who think 'You are going the wrong way!' is an original joke. By the way, try to avoid the Norte between Irún and Santander in August. Pre-Covid it used to get crowded out with backpackers.

We tend to string different caminos together, always good and once did the Inglés after arriving in Santiago, also good. Go for it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back