• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminos with 3 kilos

TimothyE

Road Walker
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Camihno Portuguese, Via de la Plata
Recently I've been reading on these forums about the issue of dealing with heavy packs, and the possibility of having them carried for you. One obvious solution to this problem is to carry a LOT less weight to begin with.

I've been carrying 3 kg or less on over 8000 km of walking trips since 2011, so it IS possible to go super light. The key is to switch from a backpack to a lumbar pack (waist pack). This eliminates the tendency to fill up a huge pack with stuff you don't really need. It's a good idea to remember that Camino walks are not wilderness treks.

Going light doesn't mean compromising on comfort. I carry a down jacket, wind shell, rain jacket, rain pants and a poncho, and I stay warm and dry. I take the usual toiletries and first aid supplies and even a few pieces of extra clothing. Most items are the lightest and most compact I could find. The result is I hardly notice I'm carrying anything. Added benefits are less strain on your shoulders, back, knees and feet. And no bags to check at the airport.

I know this will seem too radical for most people, but it works. Last year I convinced my friend Jim from Vancouver to do the Camino Frances with one of my lumbar packs and some borrowed gear. Doing the trip in two parts he found 3.5 kg was more than he needed, so he carried even less the next year to Santiago. His small pack attracted attention along the trail (as I have found myself), with people even wanting to take photos.

My web site www.roadwalking.com has gear photos and links and a dozen trip itineraries. If you're intrigued by the idea of going comfortable and super light for your Camino, email me with any questions at tim_evans@shaw.ca.

I think Caminos should be about walking and getting in touch with yourself and the world around you, not about carrying stuff!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My pack on the 1993 pilgrimage and the Burgos > Compostela portion of the 1994 one was about 4 kilos, not including water, and over a third of that weight was the sleeping bag. My 2005 gear wasn't that heavy either.

So even though I've found that as my health has deteriorated I've needed to carry more "stuff", it's definitely do-able if you're healthy enough to carry a genuine bare minimum, and even things like rain gear, good boots and a hat excepted, are luxuries more than necessaries, even in Galicia.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I use my sil-sac (68gm empty) my pack weight without water would be under 4kg, but I hate it sitting close to me and making me sweat more. A great idea for those who are happy with a close fitting pack, but I prefer my airflow pack which weighs just over 1kg empty. Also as @SabineP says sleeping bag/liner etc soon push the weight up even if only carrying one change of clothes and a waterproof as essential clothing.
It would be interesting to see the OP's actual packing list posted here to compare with what we each as individuals consider 'essential'

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sounds great. My pack was 4 kg but I started walking when there was still snow on the ground and I couldn't have managed without a sleeping bag. Plus that weight was before food and water. There's many times when carrying a kg of water is necessary. And I always walked with an emergency stash of food because there's often times when none is available.

It must also depend on what time of the year you walk, where you sleep, how much food and water you carry etc.

Certainly, but in 2016 61% of those reaching Santiago walked in the four months of Summer (May-Aug), 34% in Shoulder (Mar-Apr,Sep-Oct) and only 5% in Winter (Nov-Feb)

As far as I can tell, the weight of food and water is excluded; I walk in May and September with a Gregory 12L pack (light but with an element of airflow) , carry a sleeping bag liner and total weight (excluding water) of just under 3kg - last time, forewarned of thunderstorms, I carried both Gore-Tex rain trousers and jacket

You don't have to go the lumbar pack route but the two most important lessons are that, if you can afford it, there is lots of ultralight trail running gear available and, if you can't afford it, then just cut down on the items used infrequently (such as a fleece outside Winter) and bring items that have more than one use (Merino wool t-shirts that can serve in a wide range of walking temperatures and at night if needed)

I see you also carry a front bag. What does in it, and how much does it weigh? Honnestly, my concern is water. I would dehydrate in an instant with the tiny bottles you carry.

Met someone on VDLP this spring walking with a similar pack, but with a harness. Genius. But this man was also running part of the day as he was training for a marathon. How he was able to do that with so little water is a mystery to me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It would be interesting to see the OP's actual packing list posted here to compare with what we each as individuals consider 'essential'
You can see his package on his homepage on the "gear" website:
http://www.roadwalking.com/

This gear selection is not my planned gear selection... especially because I want to use many of the things I already have and want to spend much less on ultralight gear and want to have the space to take 1ltr, 2ltr or 3ltr of water in the backpack according to weather condition and the daily route...
but I bookmark the site to see a minimalistic weight-optimised package list that maybe helps to improve my package list.

Recently I've been reading on these forums about the issue of dealing with heavy packs, and the possibility of having them carried for you. One obvious solution to this problem is to carry a LOT less weight to begin with.

I've been carrying 3 kg or less on over 8000 km of walking trips since 2011, so it IS possible to go super light. The key is to switch from a backpack to a lumbar pack (waist pack). This eliminates the tendency to fill up a huge pack with stuff you don't really need. It's a good idea to remember that Camino walks are not wilderness treks.

Going light doesn't mean compromising on comfort. I carry a down jacket, wind shell, rain jacket, rain pants and a poncho, and I stay warm and dry. I take the usual toiletries and first aid supplies and even a few pieces of extra clothing. Most items are the lightest and most compact I could find. The result is I hardly notice I'm carrying anything. Added benefits are less strain on your shoulders, back, knees and feet. And no bags to check at the airport.

I know this will seem too radical for most people, but it works. Last year I convinced my friend Jim from Vancouver to do the Camino Frances with one of my lumbar packs and some borrowed gear. Doing the trip in two parts he found 3.5 kg was more than he needed, so he carried even less the next year to Santiago. His small pack attracted attention along the trail (as I have found myself), with people even wanting to take photos.

My web site www.roadwalking.com has gear photos and links and a dozen trip itineraries. If you're intrigued by the idea of going comfortable and super light for your Camino, email me with any questions at tim_evans@shaw.ca.

I think Caminos should be about walking and getting in touch with yourself and the world around you, not about carrying stuff!
Great site, I'm always thankful to those who take the time to share such information to help others.
I'm curious if you are still loving your Hokas? I sang their praises three - four years ago when I did the Norte and Inglais in them.
I was without blisters and still wear those shoes today. Last fall I outfitted six of us in the family for our trek from Le Puy to Santiago, all in Hokas and shoes started falling apart in the first week. We actually had to have shoes sent from the states that were in our wardrobe to meet us in SJPP.
The shoe without a doubt is a totally different quality than four years ago. Are you finding the same.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
How he was able to do that with so little water is a mystery to me.

Some people just don't drink that much water.
I don't.
I usually take one 8 ounce bottle each stage and rarely drink it all.

I met a Spanish man on the Aragones route who took 1 apple - that's it. No water.

I need a decent sized rucksack for our lunch. Small tablecloth, paper plates, normally a baguette or two, tomatoes, olives, cheeses, avocado, sausage, pies, sparkling water, half bottle of wine, pickles, oranges, nectarines, yogurt, and maybe some chocolate for afters.

Every day I look for the perfect picnic spot. Sometimes it turns out to be a bus stop. My everyday gear is less than three kilos though. Including titanium mugs, plates, and cutlery.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Love your site, very unique design, never really seen anything like it.

Your trip in the UK to Edinburgh. Did you make that route up yourself? I noticed you say there was only 5% on footpaths, so you were road walking the rest?

Great post, you've got me reconsidering my Deuter 30L that I've used on my last two caminos. Nice web site too. Much to think about.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"The key is to switch from a backpack to a lumbar pack (waist pack)."

I'm trying to work down to fitting gear into a MountainSmith Day pack. 13 litres and has optional (detachable) shoulder straps. Not made it yet but thanks for the inspiration!
lumbarpack.JPG

I need a decent sized rucksack for our lunch. Small tablecloth, paper plates, normally a baguette or two, tomatoes, olives, cheeses, avocado, sausage, pies, sparkling water, half bottle of wine, pickles, oranges, nectarines, yogurt, and maybe some chocolate for afters.

Every day I look for the perfect picnic spot. Sometimes it turns out to be a bus stop. My everyday gear is less than three kilos though. Including titanium mugs, plates, and cutlery.
Surely one's valet ought to be carrying this? ;)

The valet already complains about the table and chairs. Noblesse oblige don'tcha know.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.