• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cammino di Assisi

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I had walked Camino Frances this past spring and loved it. I'm looking at other "pilgrimages" and hikes to walk next year. At this time I'm leaning toward el Camino del Norte. Recently I ran across Cammino di Assisi in Tuscany, Italy. Has anyone heard about this "pilgrimage" or walked it? I would love to hear from you, rather than just reading about it on their website. Thanks in advance for any information that you might have. Buen Camino! -Hieu

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some of the websites have forums and you will learn more from members of the Assisi forums than the Camino forums.
Here are a few to start you off!

St Francis Walks

1) An 80km route – at the end of the next two. (This site has a forum)
Cammino di Francesco: 5 days (80km) inaugurated in December 2003; divided into eight stops that have been blessed by the presence of Saint Francis. St Francis Walk.
http://www.camminodifrancesco.it/eng/il ... /index.php

2)This is a 300km route http://www.camminodiassisi.it/

3) Then a 350km, 16 days route which overlaps the first one in the middle:
Il Cammino Francescano : http://www.diquipassofrancesco.it

4) Vezelay to Assisi: http://chemins.assise.free.fr/

On this website is a link to a wonderful CBS video on St Francis called "The Secrets of a Saint".
http://cbs4.com/video/?id=17621@wfor.dayport.com

Diary: "On the paths of Peace" Jean-Claude Lordier
http://www.randoalp.com/essai/assise.html

Thanks for the info Sil. I am interested in the video you mentioned "The Secrets of a Saint" but wouldn't find the link (checked under Arts & Culture and a few other topics). Do you remember/know where I can find it?

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm so sad - it seems to have been taken off. It was a lovely 5 minute video showing the cave where St Francis lived and a bit of a mystery to be solved.

Salut. Does anyone know of a hiking trail or pilgrimage route linking Parma, italy to Dovadola where the Cammino di Assisi begins?

Cheers

I had walked Camino Frances this past spring and loved it. I'm looking at other "pilgrimages" and hikes to walk next year. At this time I'm leaning toward el Camino del Norte. Recently I ran across Cammino di Assisi in Tuscany, Italy. Has anyone heard about this "pilgrimage" or walked it? I would love to hear from you, rather than just reading about it on their website. Thanks in advance for any information that you might have. Buen Camino! -Hieu
My wife and I belong to a Franciscan parish and, when we finished the CF on October 3 of last year and went to our Pilgrim's Mass on October 4, it was the feast of St. Francis. As the presiding priest discussed St. Francis and conversion during the homily, we were literally reduced to tears. We attended mass at the Franciscan church in Santiago that evening to celebrate the Transitus, and decided that next year we had to walk to Assisi for the feastival of St. Francis.

Well, next year has arived and, assuming the Air France strike doesn't interfere, we're off on the 200 mile Cammino di Assisi tomorrow. We'll be back on the Camino de Santiago in the future (planning a Le Puy - Santiago camino for 2016) but this year it's the Cammino di Assis for us. St. Francis was with us last year, and I'm sure St. James will be with us this year, every step of the way. If anyone cares to follow us, we will be blogging at www.leslieandkarlassisi.wordpress.com.

Karl

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We finished the Cammino di Assis ("Cammino") on October 2 and spent the weekend, which included the Festival of St. Francis, in Assisi. It was a wonderful pilgrimage.

It was much harder than the Camino de Santiago ("Camino") in the sense that there was so much more climbing. The first six days, until we reached La Verna, were sort of like crossing the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles again, and again, and again. After La Verna, it eased up. On the other hand, the Cammino only takes about 2 weeks or less, so there isn't the long term wear and tear on the body you can experience on the Camino.

It was much quieter than the Camino. There was only 1 pilgrim who started the same day we did; we never saw more than about 8 or so, and we never waked with more than 3 others. My credential was number 592 for the year, but there are other organizations sponsoring pilgrimages to Assisi. Nothing like the Camino, with a quarter million pilgrims or more walking each year.

The accommodations were very good, generally a step up from the typical stops on the Camino. Some monasteries and convents, a couple of farms where we ate with the families, several small apartments set aside for pilgrims and a couple of simple refuges where there was a key code to get in. Much quieter of course - there were only two or three others who might snore!

The food was great. On the Camino, the pilgrim menus were generally specially created for pilgrims and, while we enjoyed them, and some were very good, they were generally nothing special. In Italy, with so few pilgrims, the participating restaurants just gave you a choice of a limited number of things from their regular menu. You ate what regular customers ate, at least if they ate the less expensive choices. The meals at the farm houses were fantastic; everything was very local and very good.

So, a somewhat similar, somewhat different, experience. We missed the bustle and camaraderie of the Camino, where we had a fairly large Camino family whose members we would catch up with, or be caught up by, continuously. We missed having everyone, pilgrims and locals, all knowing what we were about and wishing you "buen Camino" (on the Cammino, at least until you got close to Assisi, most people had no idea what we were up to). We missed the endless meseta, where we could walk for hours lost in meditation.

But, we didn't miss the bed race, the toilet paper, and those fellow travelers for whom the Camino was really just a cheap vacation. The scenery, like that on most of the Camino, was wonderful. And, as members of a Franciscan parish, walking in Francis' footsteps, and arriving in Assisi for his festival, was glorious.

We'll be back on the Camino de Santiago in the not too distant future, but the Cammino di Assis was a wonderful experience.

Karl

I am taking the Chemins d'Assise from Vezelay to Cluny through the Morvan, then diverting to the Via Podensis. Then (hopefully) on to Santiago.

Last edited:
My wife Mary and I walked the St Francis Way from Assisi to Rome during June 2014. We had walked the Camino Santiago from St Jean to Santiago the previous year and expected a similar experience . The Assisi to Rome walk was completely different. Unlike the Camino it was an isolated walk where at times we felt that we were the only people doing it. During the full walk we only met about four other walkers. The marking of the walk was almost nonexistent and at best confusing and was summed up by an official in Trevi who stated that the St Francis Way was your way. Accommodation was at times difficult to find but was of a very high standard. The experience of arriving at the Vatican as a pilgrim was the highlight and an experience I will never forget.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My wife Mary and I walked the St Francis Way from Assisi to Rome during June 2014. We had walked the Camino Santiago from St Jean to Santiago the previous year and expected a similar experience . The Assisi to Rome walk was completely different. Unlike the Camino it was an isolated walk where at times we felt that we were the only people doing it. During the full walk we only met about four other walkers. The marking of the walk was almost nonexistent and at best confusing and was summed up by an official in Trevi who stated that the St Francis Way was your way. Accommodation was at times difficult to find but was of a very high standard. The experience of arriving at the Vatican as a pilgrim was the highlight and an experience I will never forget.
We're thinking of doing the same thing next fall.We're really excited about arriving in Rome on foot as pilgrims.

Sounds like the St. Francis way is similar to the Cammino di Assisi (Dovadola to Assisi) we walked last month, although the marking on our walk was actually very good. Same isolation though; there were 11 pilgrims in La Verna, but most of the way we only saw one or two. Same generally very good accommodations.

How difficult was the walking from Assisi to Rome? From Dovadola to Assis, the first five days and nine of the total 13 days had much more difficult climbing than anything on the Camino de Santiago. It looks like Assisi to Rome is a lot easier, with climbs no worse than the the CdS. Is that correct?

How many days did you walk?

Karl

I am taking the Chemins d'Assise from Vezelay to Cluny through the Morvan, then diverting to the Via Podensis. Then (hopefully) on to Santiago.
Is the Via Podensis the same as the Le Puy Camino?

How long do you expect your walk to take?

Will you go on to Santiago?

Karl

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walked from Gubbio to Assisi, then to Spoleto this September. Two places I highly recommend for accommodation are Agriturismo di Valdichiascio ( after Gubbio) and Ostello di Francescano in Valfabbrica. Hotel Roma was excellent for us in Assisi and was reasonably priced compared to some of the religious hostels. In Spello we stayed at the convent San Damiano and the nuns were very hospitable. In Spoleto we stayed at the Monastery of San Ponziano. The rooms were large enough to sleep at least 4 people. The accommodation was great but the walking was, as previously stated, more difficult than the camino and there was a distinct lack of signage. Still, I can see efforts being made to welcome pilgrims with places offering a discount if you have your credencial.
Sharon

Walked from Gubbio to Assisi, then to Spoleto this September. Two places I highly recommend for accommodation are Agriturismo di Valdichiascio ( after Gubbio) and Ostello di Francescano in Valfabbrica. Hotel Roma was excellent for us in Assisi and was reasonably priced compared to some of the religious hostels. In Spello we stayed at the convent San Damiano and the nuns were very hospitable. In Spoleto we stayed at the Monastery of San Ponziano. The rooms were large enough to sleep at least 4 people. The accommodation was great but the walking was, as previously stated, more difficult than the camino and there was a distinct lack of signage. Still, I can see efforts being made to welcome pilgrims with places offering a discount if you have your credencial.
Sharon
Thanks for the recommendations. We're planning to walk from Assisi to Rome next fall, and your suggestions for Spello and Spoleto will be very helpful. Was the walking easier after Assisi than before?

Karl

Hi Karl,
The walking was beautiful from Assisi to Spello. However, the upper route is steeper and harder than the lower route. This was perhaps the hardest day we had, although we had only walked for three days before Assisi.After Spello, the walk is going along flatter land and is not as arduous. There were seven of us walking and because of some health issues with people in our group, we had to cut our walk short. We spent two nights in Assisi. Hope you have a wonderful walk. Gubbio is such a beautiful town with a lot of history that it is worth a two night stay as well.
Sharon

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks! When you say "upper route" are you referring to the portion north of Assisi? Or Assis to Spello?

Gubbio really was wonderful. We didn't have time to spend a second night there, as we were eager to get to Assisi by the Feast of St. Francis, but we did have time to visit the Roman Theater and explore the Palazzo Ducale.

Karl

I am very interested in the Assisi Camino, however since it is a bit more remote I have a question about food:
For those who have completed it:

How difficult would it be for a vegetarian/vegan to get by on the Camino Assisi? And by "get by" I really just mean survive :)

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How difficult would it be for a vegetarian/vegan to get by on the Camino Assisi? And by "get by" I really just mean survive :)
A vegetarian may be ok; there are lots of vegetable and pasta dishes anywhere you eat. Some of the pasta may be egg based, however. A vegan might have a harder time; it would probably be difficult to be absolutely sure there were no animal components of the food at most restaurants. We did not see any restaurants claiming to have vegan dishes except in Assisi.

That said, we were unable to buy dinner one night and subsisted for about 45 hours on bread, cheese and wine we had in our packs. That was fine for us, but a non dairy eating vegetarian might have had a harder time.

Ahhh, well I'm vegan so it may be tricky. I even found the CF to be a tad tricky here and there (I lost 3kg on the CF over 30 days, mainly because I couldn't always find enough food...I mean, I can only have bread for so many meals :p)

I am walking the camino did Assisi from dovadola to assisi in June this year. How to I get the credentials to walk from there to Rome on the way of st francis and will the Refugio's be hard to get in early July and what is the recommended route - it seems like there are choices. It will be my first arrival in Rome at the Vatican.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just stumbled onto this thread that I had started in 2012. Thanks for all who had contributed. The reason that I had stumbled on this thread is because I have not walked the Cammino di Assisi yet. Instead I ended up walking other caminos (VdLP, Rota Vincentina and CF again).

I plan to walk Cammino di Assisi April 2019. I am grateful that the pilgrimage now has more support and infrastructure. I am looking for a guidebook to read. Unfortunately the closest guidebook that's available is The Way of St Francis. It's the pilgrimage from Florence to Assisi and then to Rome. Does anyone know of a guide specifically for Cammino di Assisi (Dovadola to Assisi)? Any other information is also welcomed. I found this website to be quite useful:
http://www.camminodiassisi.it/index.html

I just stumbled onto this thread that I had started in 2012. Thanks for all who had contributed. The reason that I had stumbled on this thread is because I have not walked the Cammino di Assisi yet. Instead I ended up walking other caminos (VdLP, Rota Vincentina and CF again).

I plan to walk Cammino di Assisi April 2019. I am grateful that the pilgrimage now has more support and infrastructure. I am looking for a guidebook to read. Unfortunately, the closest guidebook that's available is The Way of St Francis. It's the pilgrimage from Florence to Assisi and then to Rome. Does anyone know of a guide specifically for Cammino di Assisi (Dovadola to Assisi)? Any other information is also welcomed. I found this website to be quite useful:

Please keep us posted on your new Cammino journey next year. It is exciting to hear about and I admit a twinge of envy for not being able to go too.

Hi there
When I was walking some of this route in 2015, I met a fit, seasoned Camino pilgrim who was headed for Santiago again, and who was using an Italian guidebook. He had just walked an incredibly long day because of the 'time' indications in the guide. It seemed like they were always worked out on the basis of 4km/h. But some of the route is quite strenuous as it is very steep. So though a '3 hour' indication might seem like half a day, he found he had needed far longer. So just be a bit wary of any 'time' indications!
Margaret

I plan to walk Cammino di Assisi April 2019. I am grateful that the pilgrimage now has more support and infrastructure. I am looking for a guidebook to read. Unfortunately the closest guidebook that's available is The Way of St Francis. It's the pilgrimage from Florence to Assisi and then to Rome. Does anyone know of a guide specifically for Cammino di Assisi (Dovadola to Assisi)? Any other information is also welcomed. I found this website to be quite useful:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hello @hieudovan

Here's another website to view: http://www.viadifrancesco.it/en/via...e/northern-way-stages-from-la-verna-to-assisi

Happy planning!
Lovinkindness

Most read last week in this forum

Today I arrived in one of my favourite cities in Italy, Palermo, ready to start a solo walk across Sicily on the Magna Via Francigena tomorrow! It’s a ~185km trail from Palermo to Agrigento that I...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.