• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Campaign against burning of boots and clothes

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A number of local websites are reporting another campaign against the practice of burning boots and clothing at Fisterra. Something which locals say has given an area of natural beauty the appearance of a landfill site. Previous poster campaigns have had limited success.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi All!
My five cents worth.
I commented on another thread that what pilgrims do in Spain leaves a mark on Spain for others to sort; a tradition for pilgrims becomes an eyesore for those that live there.
I would be annoyed also.

Like the burning of boots and clothes or as in the other thread decorating a tree with boots; you may think its cute or enhances your walk but know one cares but you!
Don't do it
Imagine the uproar if hikers in the UK got to there numerous destinations and did the same.
I thought the ethos was leave no trace.

Although in the UK we do have traditions!
Taking supermarket trolleys for a walk and leaving the poor things abandoned and homeless oh and decorating woodlands with carrier bags:)
Woody

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I commented on another thread that what pilgrims do in Spain leaves a mark on Spain for others to sort; a tradition for pilgrims becomes an eyesore for those that live there.
I clicked through on the link in the article to a piece about an unpleasant new "tradition" in San Andres de Teixido. People hanging their Covid face masks in long lines on fences. Unsurprisingly local people were unimpressed with the development. It's a fascinating place with enough odd customs of its own and they don't think it needs any more modern tacky ones!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi All!
My five cents worth.
I would be annoyed also.

Like the burning of boots and clothes or as in the other thread decorating a tree with boots; you may think its cute or enhances your walk but know one cares but you!
Don't do it
Imagine the uproar if hikers in the UK got to there numerous destinations and did the same.
I thought the ethos was leave no trace.

Although in the UK we do have traditions!
Taking supermarket trolleys for a walk and leaving the poor things abandoned and homeless oh and decorating woodlands with carrier bags:)
Woody
Yes, donating clothes is a much better idea than dumping them on the Camino. It was a tradition when I began my Camino many years ago but not something that should continue.

How sad that they had to decide to offer sending a new pair of shoes so you don't burn yours instead of people just respecting the request to not burn them. Come on people, have a little respect for the community you are a VISITOR to and the environment that we must all live in! But hey - if it helps - good for them. But curious as to the cost. As it is they give out the Fisteranna certificates for free. They even mailed mine to the US for free. Now they are having to buy people shoes so they don't burn their shoes and leave garbage on their land?

There are better traditions we can adapt. I myself was just happy to sit there and enjoy the view and revel in my accomplishment.

I burned my clothes after my Camino...when I got home, in a controlled area. My neighbour asked me what I was doing as the shoes were creating a bit of smoke. I told him, he understood and we sat talking about the walk and its meanings.

Finisterra is really not the end of anyone's Camino but only occurs when you cross the threshold of your home upon your return.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, donating clothes is a much better idea than dumping them on the Camino. It was a tradition when I began my Camino many years ago but not something that should continue.
It was a made up tradition.
Well, all traditions are made up, but in this case it wasn't an ancient tradition, but a modern one.

What surprised me the last time this came up was how many of the camino tour companies had references to this practice. I contacted a few and they all acted quickly to change their websites.

I’m sure there are still some out there, though, so if anyone sees any websites with that kind of discussion, a polite alert might do some good.

Well, surprise surprise, Caminoways still says this.

Pilgrims often burn some of their clothes or walking shoes at Cape Fisterra, overlooking the Atlantic, almost as a ritual of purification or just as a symbolic end to their long journey. Although this practice has attracted many critics in recent times, for its obvious environmental risks.

I explained to them that the practice is not just criticized, it is illegal.

For those of you with time to kill, here’s the contact form if you want to complain.

Last edited:
What surprised me the last time this came up was how many of the camino tour companies had references to this practice. I contacted a few and they all acted quickly to change their websites.

I’m sure there are still some out there, though, so if anyone sees any websites with that kind of discussion, a polite alert might do some good.

Pilgrims often burn some of their clothes or walking shoes at Cape Fisterra, overlooking the Atlantic, almost as a ritual of purification or just as a symbolic end to their long journey. Although this practice has attracted many critics in recent times, for its obvious environmental risks.

For those of you with time to kill, here’s the contact form if you want to complain.

It's still being perpetuated on Camino sites. I found it here, and I'm sending them an email to ask them to remove it with information about this anti-burning campaign.

This site does recognize that the practice is forbidden but is still promoting the "ritual of rebirth" at Finisterre.

There are probably others...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is so sad that people do this again and again, it is also up to each pilgrim to say something to these bad very bad ideas. If we standby and say nothing it is in itself approval, it all starts in Saint Jean we you hear people are going to walk the Napoleon route when its closed, to littering along the Way. Just say hey thats not nice thing of others.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I just sent them an email to info@caminoways.com

They repeat this same bad information in multiple blog posts on their site. On this page they say

Traditionally, pilgrims walking the Camino de Santiago would finish their journey at Cape Fisterra, once thought to be the end of the world. Here they would burn their clothes, swim in the ocean and admire the sunset over the Atlantic ocean – a wonderful way to mark the end of an incredible journey.

On another page they do have the right message:

The burning question

Cape Fisterra marks the very end of their Camino journey for many pilgrims, and certain customs have developed around it. Traditionally pilgrims would burn their clothes by the sea (the end of the world), and many pilgrims still today leave their walking shoes by the Cape or even burn them. However, this is not a very respectful practice, and the local authorities indeed ban it.

While we might feel comfortable in the symbolic act of disposing of our walking gear to finish our journey, as responsible pilgrims, we should think of the consequences: leaving walking shoes at the Cape is just littering and burning clothes could be a fire hazard or even turn into an ecological disaster if the fire spreads.

Why not dip in the ocean to mark your journey’s end? There are lovely beaches to go to for a swim in Fisterra.

I received a response from Caminoways:

Thank you for your email and for flagging this. We thought we had removed it but this post must have escaped. We will update it accordingly.
Will have to look later to see if they do what they say, But thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Difficult to believe anyone would still do such a ridiculous "ritual" and actually believe it was some sort of ancient practice. At face value it's bad. Toxic smoke. Fire spreading hazard. Etc

It would be lovely if all believed in & practiced ' leave no trace' where ever they went. Even better, everywhere you visit: a beach, wood, mountain etc pick up 2-4 pieces of litter...leaving it nicer then you found it 😘

TBH, I am more than a little surprised that this is still "a thing".

Perhaps I am just "cheap" but my clothes and footware are readily serviceable for a lot more miles than a 1,000 km stroll stresses them.

In fact, I was just sorting my pack the other day and the contents are largely "original" after four Caminos between 2012 and 2017, a walk of the Dingle, a week in Paris, 10 days in the Lake Country and Scotland, and multiple domestic trips in between and since.

Seems wasteful....

[Edit: Yes, I have changed out boots once and one pair of my original trousers was turned into doll clothes by a helpful hospitalero.]

B

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
TBH, I am more than a little surprised that this is still "a thing".
Unfortunately, in addition to some of these tour companies there are well known pilgrims perpetuating this. Efren Gonzalez burned his clothes at Finisterre. He has since been set straight, but I don't think that he edited it out of his YouTube video.

Last edited:

Email sent.

There are still many blogs and guides that acknowledge that the practice is illegal, but still romanticize it. 😠

It's really disrespectful to the local people. One time when I was up at the point a local resident was angrily stomping out the embers of a pilgrim's fire.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Since people really like their rituals, perhaps the local governments could promote a different kind of ritual - like scattering wildflower seeds or planting a seedling.

A number of local websites are reporting another campaign against the practice of burning boots and clothing at Fisterra. Something which locals say has given an area of natural beauty the appearance of a landfill site. Previous poster campaigns have had limited success.

I am glad this will not be done anymore. I certainly did not want to burn mine, if anything they will become mementoes of my trek.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think all my clothes and my shoes are good enough to hike another camino. And I did the full hike from St Jean. And with the price of outdoor clothing, you really don't want to be burning them.

Mrs Henrythedog burned all my clothes (actually every scrap of fabric) when I returned from my first Camino, having described the mere concept of bed-bugs. I had to strip off in the garden (this was early March in northern England) before I was allowed in. We live in rural isolation and the neighbours regard this as normal. My rucksack had to hang in the barn for months before I was allowed to bring it in.

Last edited:
I see Henry is posing in a newer avatar photo...is that a chimney, cairns, your garden or ?...
A very good question C; I’ll have to try to recall. Henry the (actual) dog has completed ‘The Wainwrights’ - 214 hills (it would be pretentious to call them mountains) in the English Lake District; of which this is one. As my photo library is about 99% dog it will take me a while to narrow it down.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow, how is this still an issue up for debate?
Burning stuff, anything, on the coast of Fisterre and Muxia is just plain dumb. A bad idea. It ranks up there with graffiti and soiled toilet paper strewn on the Camino path.
Offensive. Unhealthy. Illegal and gives all pilgrims a bad name.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just spotted this article today about a group of high school students from Miami who will be walking the Camino at the end of June. The article refers to the burning of clothes at Finisterre " in a gesture of rebirth". I hope the writer of the article is not one of those leading these young people or suggesting that they take part in this "tradition".

Just spotted this article today about a group of high school students from Miami who will be walking the Camino at the end of June. The article refers to the burning of clothes at Finisterre " in a gesture of rebirth". I hope the writer of the article is not one of those leading these young people or suggesting that they take part in this "tradition".

Maybe we should contact them?

Just sent an email to info@cis-spain.com CIS is the Spanish university that is sponsoring/coordinating this group from Miami Boys and Girls Club.

I asked them to forward it to the proper person, since that’s the only email I saw on the webpage. This topic really gets me, the stupid, dangerous, self-indulgence of it all.

I’ll report back if I hear something. Strength in numbers, so feel free to send your own quick note.

Maybe someone in Miami can make personal contact with the group there. (yoo hoo, you know who!).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, Laurie, I take your subtle hint. This is horrible. In this city, you have to address these things cara a cara. Thanks for spotting this article. I will definitely work on this, calling some people and setting up appointments to see some of those in the article 2nd week of May when I’ll be back from my mini-Camino.
We should also have those on the ground in Finisterre finding out how to prohibit burning, thrashing clothing, shoes… and enforcing it.
Aymarah

Last edited:

€46,-
I just read the article in El Nuevo Herald the Spanish companion of the Miami Herald. They are separate newspapers and I was unable to find an article in the English paper. The article itself has some errors including that 120 kms are required for a Compostela.
The highly objectionable part is:
“Cualquiera que ha llegado hasta el cabo de Finisterre, donde se encuentra el monumento de la Bota del Peregrino, y donde los que han completado el Camino queman sus ropas en un gesto de renacimiento, pueden constatar que esta es una experiencia transformadora.”
It reads to me as this is may be the reporter’s interpretation. I am going to contact her and ask for a clarification.
Seems strange that the reference point in Madrid or Big Brothers & Big Sisters of Miami would condone this.
I will do a little research and will keep you guys posted when I know more.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,
I just had a wonderful conversation with Sarah Moreno, the reporter for El Nuevo Herald in Miami. She has changed the original article online version. She is an advocate of The Camino and does not condone burning anything in Finisterre.
Aymarah
Great job, Aymarah! Every little bit done to stamp out this stupid “tradition” is a job well done. Mil gracias.

Here is the new link:
Adolescentes de Miami hacen el Camino de Santiago. Cómo puedes ser el próximo peregrino

1681256004057.png

Highlight of the new version:
“Al final de los 100 kilómetros, los espera La Compostela, el certificado que prueba que han sido peregrinos.

Cualquiera que ha llegado hasta el cabo de Finisterre, donde se encuentra el monumento de la Bota del Peregrino, y donde en el pasado estos solían quemar su ropa como símbolo de renacimiento, pueden constatar que esta es una experiencia transformadora que realmente ocurre en el trayecto. Ya nadie quema la ropa, para preservar el medio ambiente de este lugar.”

Here is the new link:
Adolescentes de Miami hacen el Camino de Santiago. Cómo puedes ser el próximo peregrino

View attachment 144618

Highlight of the new version:
“Al final de los 100 kilómetros, los espera La Compostela, el certificado que prueba que han sido peregrinos.

Cualquiera que ha llegado hasta el cabo de Finisterre, donde se encuentra el monumento de la Bota del Peregrino, y donde en el pasado estos solían quemar su ropa como símbolo de renacimiento, pueden constatar que esta es una experiencia transformadora que realmente ocurre en el trayecto. Ya nadie quema la ropa, para preservar el medio ambiente de este lugar.”
Much better, but I wish that she didn't say anything about burning clothes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wish that she didn't say anything about burning clothes.
I agree. Especially since “en el pasado“ sugguests that burning one’s own clothes was some noble centuries old ritual while in reality it was simply a stupid idea of walkers during the last few decades.
I agree and I tried. The reporter visited Finisterre pre-pandemic and was told this story there. She wanted it in her story. She also was horrified that her article might incite new burning and that is why she immediately edited it. Not bad work on a rainy, windy Miami afternoon.

Not bad work on a rainy, windy Miami afternoon.
Totally agree. It is great that you reacted to the article and that the reporter changed it! You set a good example!

These stories will live forever and they make a narrative more interesting. And there is a tendency to believe that just because a local, maybe a guide even, told a story that it is true and authentic. Well, they often know even less about el pasado than we on the forum do. 😉

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So glad this was brought to our attention, Laurie, and our resident Miami peregrina went right into action! (Vale, Aymarah!) Thanks! Inspired, I added my own dos centavos to the comments pages on a few sites (GaliciaTips, GalliWonders, et al) that still romanticize, if not outright encourage, clothes-burning in Fisterra. Was sad to see how many stock image sites there are, that post images of this. Couldn't find an obvious way to campaign against these.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back