• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Campervans where can we park and stay overnight and still get showers and if possible meals

pilgrimglenn7

Time of past OR future Camino
st james way and portugese
Hey All

We are thinking my wife will be in a campervan and we both stay together overnight from SJJP to Santiago De Compostela. Then onto Fisterre and Muxia back to Santiago De Compostela

I now plan after talking to a lot of you and my dr and physio to take a mountain bike not e bike as it be very heavy to push over hills and climbs and be lighter with a mountain bike

I plan to take up to 4 to 5 weeks to do all this but i know if i walked it would take about 10.

Where would and if we are allowed to who do I contact about parking the vehicle and if anyone has done this how much would it be not using any power but use a auberge just for a shower and share a meal with fellow pilgrims if allowed at night in a Albergue etc?

I want to average about 30-40 kilometres or 20-25 miles a day 6 days a week and just really enjoy my time and not rush it and injure my self

Thanks all

Buen Camino

From Glenn and Karen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To park overnight is possible. Use your imagination. You need some calm anyway.
Ask the albergues, if you can pay some for a shower. Usually you can, many times for free.
Use info to spot campings, too. Peregrino meal and price is for everybody.
I made all the way from SJPdP to SdC 2016 with my wife walking in a group of 3,
I made service in camping-car with our dog. The other 2 overnighted in albergues.
No problems.
Bon camino!

Hey All

We are thinking my wife will be in a campervan and we both stay together overnight from Santiago de Compastela to Fisterre and Muxia back to Santiago De Compastela

I now plan after talking to a lot of you and my dr and physio to take a mountain bike not e bike as it be very heavy to push over hills and climbs and be lighter with a mountain bike

I plan to take up to 1 week to do all this but i know if i walked it would take about 2.

Where would and if we are allowed to who do I contact about parking the vehicle and if anyone has done this how much would it be not using any power but use a auberge just for a shower and share a meal with fellow pilgrims if allowed at night in a Auberge etc?

I just really enjoy my time and not rush it and injure my self

Thanks all

Buen Camino

From Glenn and Karen
I saw a campervan camp site at Finisterre

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
e-mail me to (email address removed). Please use forum private message function for security.
I might share some special experience for
caravan-camping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey All

We are thinking my wife will be in a campervan and we both stay together overnight from Santiago de Compastela to Fisterre and Muxia back to Santiago De Compastela

I plan to take up to 1 week to do all this but i know if i walked it would take about 2.

Where would and if we are allowed to who do I contact about parking the vehicle and if anyone has done this how much would it be not using any power but use a auberge just for a shower and share a meal with fellow pilgrims if allowed at night in a Auberge etc?

I just really enjoy my time and not rush it and injure my self

Thanks all

Buen Camino

From Glenn and Karen

Good to see your plan coming together! Good that Karen is following you in a camper. If things get a little hard for you she will be there!

I don't think you will have many problems parking up for night. If in doubt as a local, especially hospitalero's.

Good luck planning
Davey

I do have reservations concerning caravans but will try to help, Look here:
and hit the all regions button for Navarra - Castile and León, Northern Spain, Galicia.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good to see your plan coming together! Good that Karen is following you in a camper. If things get a little hard for you she will be there!

I don't think you will have many problems parking up for night. If in doubt as a local, especially hospitalero's.

Good luck planning
Davey
thanks Davey mate we both really appreciate what you said and yes its slowly coming together :) and yes we are slowly getting there now to get the monies and i been cleared to do the trip but need at least 12 months training if not 2 years :) if you want to private message me.

Good luck planning
Davey
Buen Camino mate

Benny thanks so much mate we really appreciate this and everything you said is amazingly helpful :) yes check your inbox and spam and anywhere and if you see my last name and tours in the email its me :) Buen Camino my friend :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do have reservations concerning caravans but will try to help, Look here:
and hit the all regions button for Navarra - Castile and León, Northern Spain, Galicia.
Scruffy1 thanks so much mate we really appreciate your taking time to help us :) I check this site and did you want my email address mate? Cheers from Glenn and Karen

Scruffy1 thanks so much mate we really appreciate your taking time to help us :) I check this site and did you want my email address mate? Cheers from Glenn and Karen
Sure send in by Private Conversation

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have no information to share but wish you both a buen camino...it sounds like it's coming together.
And yes, Glenn...take care not to re-injure yourself. It is not worth it.

we choose not to fly :) thats why we wont be flying :)
Thanks for the lightness! Wonderful response to all that.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have no information to share but wish you both a buen camino...it sounds like it's coming together.
And yes, Glenn...take care not to re-injure yourself. It is not worth it.

Thanks for the lightness! Wonderful response to all that.....
muchs gracias VNwalking and much appreciative :) and have you been on a camino? which one? and yes i have enough injuries and my dr has walked from st jean to fisterre and i only found this out a few weeks ago so the dr and my physiotherapist massage therapist are going to work out my fitness regime :) i am now walking 30 minutes a day and going to a therapuetic hot pool twice a week but this will increase :)

I would think that it would be much easier to drive a car and find a hotel room than to drive a campervan and figure out where to park it each day!

I would think that it would be much easier to drive a car and find a hotel room than to drive a campervan and figure out where to park it each day!
Yes we agree. We had a motorhome holiday 2 years ago but i drove. But looks like driving a automatic i have to come from Switzerland. Best rates for our time away and wanted to see france top of italy Slovenia maybe a little of Austria anyway

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We use the book all-the-aires-spain-and-portugal-5th-edition. Its a book with all the free parking places in. If you haven't come across camping aires they are great and across Europe. Soe are just a parking area and waste disposal, some are more than that. If you want a shower head to the local municipal sports hall, they will let you have shower for a small charge.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
e-mail me to (email address removed). Please use forum private message function for security.
I might share some special experience for
caravan-camping.
Hallo. Would like to PM you but seem to fail. Need info on this for 2021

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back