A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Camping along the Camino Del Norte

mprat

Camino(s) past & future
(2013)
Hey all -

I am planning on hiking the Camino del Norte (primitivo at the end) this August and want to camp the whole way. I read from posts years ago that albergues not in large cities let pilgrims pitch tents for free on the albergue property - is that true? Is there a camping guide to the Camino del Norte that exists somewhere?

Thanks!
Michele

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
mprat said:
Hey all -

I am planning on hiking the Camino del Norte (primitivo at the end) this August and want to camp the whole way. I read from posts years ago that albergues not in large cities let pilgrims pitch tents for free on the albergue property - is that true? Is there a camping guide to the Camino del Norte that exists somewhere?

Thanks!
Michele
Michele,

Welcome to the Forum!

Be sure to search the terms "camping" and "Camino del Norte" within the Forum search box to see other relevant threads.

You might make your own list of camping sites along the CN by using Google maps. First search for any place along the CN, ie Donostia-San Sebastián. After it is located on a map hit the "search nearby" tab and enter "camping". Bingo! The map will then display camp grounds and their addresses in that area.

Happy plotting and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2020? Looks like.... nowhere! 😁
Reviving an old thread, hope that's ok...
Wondering if there are any of you who have recently camped on the CdN and whether you found it a good option....
Thanks.
PS @Kanga I think I read somewhere you didn't use your tent much, could you please tell me if it was because of the weather or the lack of campsites...or? Gracias!

jesben1

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Del Norte 2015
I did not camp, we went back and forth on bringing a tent and decided not to. We really just wanted to bring it 'in case'... unnecessary and glad we didn't bring it. We noticed a few people pitching tents at hostels in the backyard, I think it would be a good idea to do if you planned on primarily camping and you would also save a bit of money. I talked to one girl who was exclusively tenting along the camino, and met her at a hostel about halfway through as we washed our clothes together. Seeing her clothes literally wring out dark brown and her describe how good it was to wash for the first time in 2.5 weeks... well I take it she didn't have much access to facilities choosing to camp the whole time, the language barrier prevented further information. Alot of the hostels honestly would have a hospitalero show up, sign people in, and leave, so if you showed up after I really don't see why you couldn't use the shower etc. and most others I would imagine would accept a small fee in exchange for showers.

basically if you wanted to tent instead of hostels, then bring it! I'm sure you'll always find a place to pitch it, in hostel backyards, beaches etc.

if you want to bring it just as a back up, not necessary.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Thank you so much for that information, Jesben. So it is do-able, yeah! No I wasn't considering it as a back-up but as my main option, I love camping and the freedom it gives, also my tent is very light.
I guess now it all depends if I do that camino on my own or not. If walking with my husband, no tent as he doesn't ' do' camping :rolleyes::D
If on my own, the tent comes with me :cool:
Thanks again.

Ps: did you enjoy Camino del Norte?

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Reviving an old thread, hope that's ok...
Wondering if there are any of you who have recently camped on the CdN and whether you found it a good option....
Thanks.
PS @Kanga I think I read somewhere you didn't use your tent much, could you please tell me if it was because of the weather or the lack of campsites...or? Gracias!
It was the lack of campsites mainly. We only found four or five that were open, it was too early in the season for most (we walked in May and June - many do not open until mid July). We also found it not so easy to camp in the grounds of albergues - many do not have gardens and a couple with gardens were unwilling or not allowed to have campers. We would have paid the same as for a bed.

jesben1

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Del Norte 2015
Thank you so much for that information, Jesben. So it is do-able, yeah! No I wasn't considering it as a back-up but as my main option, I love camping and the freedom it gives, also my tent is very light.
I guess now it all depends if I do that camino on my own or not. If walking with my husband, no tent as he doesn't ' do' camping :rolleyes::D
Thanks again.

Oh yes, I enjoyed every minute of it, even the through the pain haha. We've been back for a month now and I miss it everyday, we are already entertaining a repeat visit. So wonderful, the beaches, the cider, spanish culture.... You will have a great time. We've even talked about the next time we go we would probably bring a tent - less stress of getting to a hostel before it closes, all by yourself, so no snoring :), and saving a little money. pros and cons...

debbijstevenson

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy (2021) del norte (2021)
Thanks again.

Hi, I know this is an old post but I have a couple of questions if I may. Did you camp the del Norte in the end? I love camping and would simply prefer to do the Camino (from Le Puy in France) in a tent (with the occasional sleep in a proper bed) and what did you do with your husband in the end? I love the walking every day and the camping, my husband doesn't so its tricky working it out, do I set off for 3 months on my own? does he join me for the occasional week, do we do hotels (which I don't fancy) etc any advice gratefully accepted. Thank you

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi, I know this is an old post but I have a couple of questions if I may. Did you camp the del Norte in the end? I love camping and would simply prefer to do the Camino (from Le Puy in France) in a tent (with the occasional sleep in a proper bed) and what did you do with your husband in the end? I love the walking every day and the camping, my husband doesn't so its tricky working it out, do I set off for 3 months on my own? does he join me for the occasional week, do we do hotels (which I don't fancy) etc any advice gratefully accepted. Thank you
Yes it is an old thread 😂
I never did the Norte in the end, my husband did 2 weeks of it but on his own. (And he only stays in hotels ). And 2 weeks is his maximum whereas I like longer pilgrimages (it takes me a week to 10 days to get in walking mode! 😁).
We walked the Via de la Plata together and mostly stayed in Casas rurales when we could - which is what he likes....
Setting off 3 months on your own? If you can, I would! (Don’t get me wrong, we live happily together, we‘re just not natural long-distance walking partners 😁)

Camping in France is easier than in Spain (imo) but I haven’t walked the Le Puy route. Only problem in France is finding food - again, only my experience. You’ll have to carry supplies, as well as the tent. (Again, may be different on the Le Puy route, which has a lot of pilgrims and probably more infrastructure). I only know the French part of the Via Francigena (Calais to Besançon) and the Via Tolosana... (Toulouse to Puente la Reina).
i have no idea what it’ll be like now after the Corona virus scare, of course.
My advice ? Walk on your own. 😳

Let me know what you decide. Against my better judgement, I’m thinking - only thinking -
of setting off this Summer, too, with my tent 😳😉

Last edited:

debbijstevenson

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy (2021) del norte (2021)
Thank you so much for replying😊 it’s really kind of you. Most people are horrified that I am thinking of doing it on my own but honestly we walk at different speeds and he really doesn’t enjoy it. He has said he will come and camp but I am not sure that is a good idea, 3 months (he wouldn’t complain but would hate it).

We have been caught out on the French food situation, we did Le Chemin de Stevenson in 2017 and ate all our emergency food in the first 3 days. I did a 5 day solo hike a week ago (we live in France) and although the campsites were open there was no one around so no restaurants or bars open so I ate a lot of noodles 😂😂 we are going walking next week so will see how that goes.... watch this space.

Thanks for replying

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Thank you so much for replying😊 it’s really kind of you. Most people are horrified that I am thinking of doing it on my own but honestly we walk at different speeds and he really doesn’t enjoy it. He has said he will come and camp but I am not sure that is a good idea, 3 months (he wouldn’t complain but would hate it).

We have been caught out on the French food situation, we did Le Chemin de Stevenson in 2017 and ate all our emergency food in the first 3 days. I did a 5 day solo hike a week ago (we live in France) and although the campsites were open there was no one around so no restaurants or bars open so I ate a lot of noodles 😂😂 we are going walking next week so will see how that goes.... watch this space.

Thanks for replying
Oh those campsites with no restaurant or bar open 😂 And no shops around of course... I hadn’t expected it, at the time (and I’m French !). I go better prepared now 😉
Enjoy your walking this week, I’d love to hear about it 🙂

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 157 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock