• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping along the way

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings, Frank. In July 2011 as part of a longer journey I hiked from Irun to San Vincente de la Barquera before heading inland across Los Picos de Europe. The weather was changeable. For 19 days it rained. I set up camp only once. Thunder clouds rolled in and I sprinted for cover sleeping the night in a lavadero. The rest of the Way to San Vincente I slept on church porches, in albergues and occassionally a pensiones. The ground was too damp for camping even on fine days.

Cheers,
-Lovingkindness

Hello there,
I appreciate you replying. I have acquired a bivy tent that weighs little over one pound. It has been packed and i hope to be able to use at least once. Where you hassled by anyone when you slept in those places?
Thank again for replying :D

Frank

A selection of Camino Jewellery
JaxFrank said:
...Where you hassled by anyone when you slept in those places?...

No, I wasn't. At 2 am one night, though, I jerked awake to find a cat sitting by my head glaring into my eyes. I screeched. It took off. Another time a stray dog cosied up. The next day it was a trial getting rid of the fleas.There were also bats out there and dust mites and other greeblies to contend with which left me feeling allergic and under par over an extended period of time. In spite of these afflictions I had a great time.

Frank, I would be interested in hearing about your camping experiences after your done, or while on the way. I have camped a lot on the Camino Frances and really enjoyed the privacy breaks my tent afforded...John

My husband and I are intending to camp along the camino over a period of a couple of months and continue camping through Spain. We are in our early sixties and want to do photography along the way so spending time looking and seeing as well as hiking the Camino. Please if you have the time keep me posted on the camping. Last year back packed through Europe and had a ball even in the rain.

Would love to know what tent you are using. This time we need a bigger tent than I used last year which weigh 800 grams and was so easy.

Thanks Sienna

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
lovingkindness said:
Greetings, Frank. In July 2011 as part of a longer journey I hiked from Irun to San Vincente de la Barquera before heading inland across Los Picos de Europe. The weather was changeable. For 19 days it rained. I set up camp only once. Thunder clouds rolled in and I sprinted for cover sleeping the night in a lavadero. The rest of the Way to San Vincente I slept on church porches, in albergues and occassionally a pensiones. The ground was too damp for camping even on fine days.

Cheers,
-Lovingkindness

Hello, Im also doing the Camino del Norte on Oct/Nov and considering bringing along an ultralight tent to be a little more independent and also to escape the horrors of bedbugs but fleas and dust mites sounds just as bad; what kind of tent did you have, im assuming you slept with it open? Also it's nice to hear someone else was interested in los Picos de Europa, ive read the Torre de Cerredo (2,648m) can be summited in one day and i was thinking about taking a few days of my camino to find a guide and try it out. I'd love to hear your experiences about it. How long did your camino to Santiago take? Regards

Last year I took a 2 man but only for one, me with gear stored inside. It was brilliant 800grams. Sea to Summit, totally waterproof and so easy, could pitch it in the dark. Nice feature with both sides opening, but tight for 2 big people, but OK. I believe it is the lightest 2 man waterproof available and compact. Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband and I used a Hubba-Hubba. It assembled quickly, had room for the two of use and our gear, and weighed only 4 lbs 3 oz (1890g). We did the Camino in Sept and October 2011. In October, it was chilly enough to warrant closing the vents and doors.

Having the tent provided privacy and quiet not always available in albergues. The main reason for our initially taking the tent was so my husband could operate his ham radio. But, after many sleepless nights, staying in the outdoors was a wonderful reprieve to being tucked away in a crowded, stuffy room.

Hello,
I am recently back from the Frances with my Daughter; we free camped, and there were also Albergues that were happy for us to use their grounds.
We loved the freedom it gave us. We also used Church porches too.....all in all, a great expierience.
Regards,
Paul.

Thanks for all your insights! I was discouraged about the albergues but apprehensive about carrying the extra weight. Thanks to you guys I'm going shopping for a tent!! I'd love to hear more about your camping experiences , even the bad ones. Regards

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My husband and I will be carrying a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 tent which, split between us, will add a hair over 1 kg to each of our packs. You need to include also the weight of your sleeping pads, which in our case weigh each .75 kg (Big Agnes Q-core inflatable pads). So, it is a consideration that 1.75 kg of pack weight will be devoted to "extra" sleeping gear. We will certainly give it a go and, if we find it impractical, we'll be shipping it home.

Happy Camping,
and Buen Camino!

Hello SkyWalker, My camino began in Norway. I wild camped from Trondheim to just beyond Oslo then it became too cold. When I first set off I carried an ultralight MSR tent (1 kilo) plus 1.4 kilo winter sleeping bag, silk cacoon, emergency blanket (aluminium) & orange emergency bag, merino base layers & fleecy plus much else. It all became too heavy for me to carry so In Larvik I gave the camping gear to someone who'd guided me through the forrests.

In France I found I wasn't coping in the albergues so I improvised. My 'tent' consisted of a mosquito net, 4 tent pegs, a handfull of sewing pins plus two black plastic rubbish bags, sides slit. This functioned well in sunny France but was useless in the rain. In Spain along el Norte, in Los Picos and after Oviedo I wrapped myself up in the mosquito net and plastic bags and slept in absolutely everything I owned. My Camino took a while. You can read about it here if you like (Pages 5-8 are in Spain, I think).
Cheers,

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/long-distance-pilgrims/topic9259.html

Sienna Moon said:
John, did you just free camp or use camping sites
Hi Sienna Moon!
I did both as well as camping on the grounds of albergues. My favorite "wild" spot is in the hills before Los Arcos...wonderful. My favorite campground is in the old bull ring in Najera! Best thing about the campgrounds are the uncrowded bathrooms and laundry areas! Best albergue camping is Rabanal..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello LK, a couple of hours later and I'm finished reading your blog. It's amazing how many people from all over the World could relate to your experiences; thanks for blessing us with such a beautiful portrayal of your Camino.

Did anyone feel unsafe at anytime along the way camping? I'm just a little worried I would wake up and my backpack would be gone; (I can sleep through an earthquake)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I must confess, I felt quite secure at all times.
Looking back, I wonder why I was so easy going, as I am normally very security concious.
Take simple precautions, and all should be well.
Regards,
Paul.

Me and my girlfriend tried camping, the first night it rained and all of our stuff got wet and we were miserable, even with a half decent tent, finally we just donated it to an alburge, it wasn't worth it in my opinion.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Did anyone feel unsafe at anytime along the way camping? I'm just a little worried I would wake up and my backpack would be gone; (I can sleep through an earthquake)

The only thing I leave outside my tent are my shoes and even then they're under the tent's vestibule, not sitting out where others can see them. In bear country I hang my food and toiletries but I don't think that will be necessary on the Camino. If I have a little food with me I also leave that in the vestibule so a hungry critter doesn't try to chew through my tent to get at it. One too many mornings I woke up to find squirrels hanging off my food bags in the trees, merrily tearing through the bags and munching on the contents, so now whether they're hanging in a tree or on the ground my food bags are always inside an Outsak, a mesh metal bag that critters can't chew through.

spectrum_lg7colors.jpg

We got a Terra Nova Supalite tent which weighs only 4lb, easy to put up, can weather horrendous storms, and best of all, has 2 doors, so I don't have to wake up my husband if I need a pee! We have camped all thru Portugal, Spain, France and UK without problems. Be sensible where you pitch (not in crops, animal's pasture, gardens...) pitch late, leave early, and leave nothing but footprints... If it looks like rain (which it does a lot in N Spain!) - then make sure all your gear is tucked under the outer bit so it doesn't get wet...
Wild camping is a lovely experience and enables you to be even more thankful for the facilities of a campsite or albergue when you do stay in one!! Enjoy!

This year I specifically watched for camping spots.
One thing I noticed was that many times the BEST camping spots are on the OTHER side of town.
Often there were even picnic tables and/or barbecues.
So you can walk into a village, get supplies, then walk a kilometer or two and almost always find a good camping spot. There were very few places that had no place to set up a tiny tent.
Just please... leave no trace.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll be camping the Norte and Primitivo in Oct/Nov... Always nice to read of others doing the same! Nice... Enjoy your trips, I'm looking forward to mine :)
I read about you on the forum. If yer still on, would you share your experience of camping on the Primativo?

Good afternoon,
Has anyone recently camped along the Camino del Norte?
Thanks for your help.
Frank :D
Realizing this is an old thread, but others have pushed it to the top so thought I'd add my recent Norte trip.
There was a precious couple from Canada that packed their tent...some nights they auberged it and others they tented it...
They seemed to do real well.
I'm thinking of taking a tent when I do the Frances and Norte with my sons coming up.
Not to save money as much as securing my little ones will have a place to sleep...

I just love this forum... Thanks for all the info guys, I'll take it with me when I go do the Norte in September! I will carry a lightweight sleeping bag & bivy bag for clear nights and/or nights with full albergues. I hope to share my experiences in a few months.

To be honest the stray dogs, bats, flees and cats dont really appeal to me, but it will definitely be an adventure!!! ;-)

Does anyone have any experience sleeping on the beach? Or any great spot tips like caves or whatever, to spend the night? I was told of one cave in another thread, but I would greatly appreciate more of such tips!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello SkyWalker, My camino began in Norway. I wild camped from Trondheim to just beyond Oslo then it became too cold. When I first set off I carried an ultralight MSR tent (1 kilo) plus 1.4 kilo winter sleeping bag, silk cacoon, emergency blanket (aluminium) & orange emergency bag, merino base layers & fleecy plus much else. It all became too heavy for me to carry so In Larvik I gave the camping gear to someone who'd guided me through the forrests.

In France I found I wasn't coping in the albergues so I improvised. My 'tent' consisted of a mosquito net, 4 tent pegs, a handfull of sewing pins plus two black plastic rubbish bags, sides slit. This functioned well in sunny France but was useless in the rain. In Spain along el Norte, in Los Picos and after Oviedo I wrapped myself up in the mosquito net and plastic bags and slept in absolutely everything I owned. My Camino took a while. You can read about it here if you like (Pages 5-8 are in Spain, I think).
Cheers,

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/long-distance-pilgrims/topic9259.html
I feel like the luckiest girl on the planet to have read your wonderful adventure...last night I teared up over some of it.
You are an amazing writer...and I'd stand in hour long lines to purchase a book that your wrote about this experience, what amazing pictures and words!
Thank you so much!

This settles it, my tent is coming. I can't stand the idea of being pigeonholed because I don't have it. I've been reading too much anti-tent rhetoric and I vacillate no longer. The worst that can happen is that I have to give it away. The cathedrals mountains the sea and the rest of the scenery will be high points but the true treasure I can't wait for is to break bread with and share stories with other peregrinos while forging some lifelong relationships with people with similar vision. I feel I've been toiling in the salt mines for a while now and welcome the reprieve. I'll be walking somewhere in the north of Spain in a general western direction from july7 -August 13. If I use the tent the money I will save will go toward fruitas del mar and any type of charity we can offer along the way to any in need. I'll be walking with my nine year old son and would love to meet at least one of y'all from the forum. If you see us come say hola.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for reporting back! So does that mean that you albergued it, private roomed it or bivvied it? There is a (not really huge) weight saving in leaving my ultralight tent and taking a poncho tarp and bivvi bag and I'd love to hear any views on that.

Hi all! Old thread I know, but if anyone has had experience camping along the primitivo I'd love to hear about it! And also I've heard of people sleeping on the grounds of albergues, do you pay anything for this? Do you get to use any of the albergues facilities for this? Thank you so much in advance!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
G'day! Great post!
Been very helpful in making up my mind.
I'm walking the Camino Francis Sept/Oct17'
Taking a tent along for main overnight shelter.
Hopefully using albergues only occasionally.
Can't wait

Hi all! Old thread I know, but if anyone has had experience camping along the primitivo I'd love to hear about it! And also I've heard of people sleeping on the grounds of albergues, do you pay anything for this? Do you get to use any of the albergues facilities for this? Thank you so much in advance!

Hello! I freecamped a lot on the Primitivo both times I walked it. There are plenty of church porches that I have slept under with no problems. Once, the locals came out and gave us newspapers to put on the floor. Another time they gave us a barn to sleep in, they said it would be warmer. Not sure about private albergues, but municipals will often let you sleep outside, still have to pay to use the facilities though. Using a tent there are many beautiful out of the way stretches that would be nice to camp. Pitch up just before dark, leave no rubbish and NEVER light a fire. Best to freecamp/camp just BEFORE a village with a cafe/bar rather than after one. Then you have coffee/breakfast/real toilet in the morning. One of my favorite freecamps in summer are concrete picnic tables at picnic areas out of town. The concrete tables stay warm for quite a while if they have been in the sun all day.

You will meet a few others freecamping the Primitivo, I met quite a few last year, mainly Spanish.

Buen Camino
Davey

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back