Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Camping and cycling and pilgrim's passes on the Camino Norte

chapstick

Hello,
I've left this all a bit late but ....
Has anyone camped on the Camino del Norte?

I will be arriving in Bilbao tomorrow night with the intention of cycling the Camino del Norte and Primitivo on a very low budget.

I like the idea of using the refugios as a nice place to meet people and due to their low cost; but because I love sleeping and camping I would like to use my tent to sleep in.

Do refugios along the Northern route usually allow camping in their grounds or do you have any camping advice?

Also, when I arrive in Bilbao do I go to have to go to the cathedral to get a pilgrims pass or are there less crowded places to get one?

Is it true that these passes can be stamped at local shops?

If you can answer any of these questions I will be very grateful, (I have found a lot of contradictions when researching.)
Many thanks

0lski

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

AlainB

Cant answer your first question, as I have no idea, though I would not recommend it due to the variable weather.

As for Bilbao, the city runs a number of tourist ofices, all near major sites (like the guggeheim) with a special stamp for pilgrims. You can also obtain stamps at any number of local shops- I got one in a bar just outside of Lezama,for example, and most will not oblige you to buy anything if all you seek is the stamp.

Hope this helps, buen camino.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings