• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping at albergues/ camp sites on the Francés (or Invierno) ...and a thank you!😉

Wild Irish

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello all!

I've been a lurker on this forum for about 6-7 years, so it feels a little surreal to have become a member! I wanted to wait until walking a camino was realistically within my grasp before doing so, and now it finally is..

I also want to say thanks a million to everybody for all the advice and especially the personal stories. This forum has really kept me going through some dark times, offering inspiration and motivation when I had none
...so much gratitude to everybody in this community, you may not realise how much your contributions can make someone's day/ even change someone's life...as reading them in this forum has done for me! Heartfelt thanks to all ♥️

A few months ago I moved to Spain solo to work, a huge change that took a looooong time to execute! The camino was part of my long held desire to move to Spain. Tough at the start, but well worth the risks. (For anybody thinking of anything similar, I highly recommend it, once you go in with your eyes open.)

Now I'm finally in a position where I can do a camino this summer over 5-6 weeks, (mid July-end of Aug), I plan to start on the Francés from St Jean ( or before St Jean if time allows) and switch to the Invierno, but open to change once I'm on route.

My questions are related to camping legally at albergues/ campsites along the Francés/ Invierno . I just read this helpful thread:

'***Camping legally on the Francés – albergues that allow to pitch a tent?' ***
and I'd love more information.

I plan to bring an ultra lite tent and I want to camp as a personal preference (I lived in a hostel for 7 months to save on rent before moving to Spain so I'm well used to dorm life and would prefer outdoors!), I don't mind if costs are the same and I know it won't be possible all the time but I'll seize the opportunity where possible. It might be useful too during these busy months.

Anywho, I'd love to hear from people who have recent experience camping at albergues (or at campsites near these caminos) during July/ August along the Francés/ Invierno routes

1. Do you have recommendations/ a list of albergues/ campsites you have camped at along the Francés/ Invierno?
2. Was your camping experience positive?
3. Was there any competition for outside space to pitch tents at albergues during busy periods? ( I imagine with good weather and lots of students walking during the summer many others might have similar ideas)
4. Have you camped at albergues/ sites along the less travelled caminos during the summer and what has been your experience?
5. Are mosquitos a problem in general at this time of year when camping outdoors?

Thank you and sorry for the ramble, hadn't intended on such a long post! 🤗

(And for the lurkers out there, your time will come!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all!

I've been a lurker on this forum for about 6-7 years, so it feels a little surreal to have become a member! I wanted to wait until walking a camino was realistically within my grasp before doing so, and now it finally is..

I also want to say thanks a million to everybody for all the advice and especially the personal stories. This forum has really kept me going through some dark times, offering inspiration and motivation when I had none
...so much gratitude to everybody in this community, you may not realise how much your contributions can make someone's day/ even change someone's life...as reading them in this forum has done for me! Heartfelt thanks to all ♥

A few months ago I moved to Spain solo to work, a huge change that took a looooong time to execute! The camino was part of my long held desire to move to Spain. Tough at the start, but well worth the risks. (For anybody thinking of anything similar, I highly recommend it, once you go in with your eyes open.)

Now I'm finally in a position where I can do a camino this summer over 5-6 weeks, (mid July-end of Aug), I plan to start on the Francés from St Jean ( or before St Jean if time allows) and switch to the Invierno, but open to change once I'm on route.

My questions are related to camping legally at albergues/ campsites along the Francés/ Invierno . I just read this helpful thread:

I plan to bring an ultra lite tent and I want to camp as a personal preference (I lived in a hostel for 7 months to save on rent before moving to Spain so I'm well used to dorm life and would prefer outdoors!), I don't mind if costs are the same and I know it won't be possible all the time but I'll seize the opportunity where possible. It might be useful too during these busy months.

Anywho, I'd love to hear from people who have recent experience camping at albergues (or at campsites near these caminos) during July/ August along the Francés/ Invierno routes

1. Do you have recommendations/ a list of albergues/ campsites you have camped at along the Francés/ Invierno?
3. Was there any competition for outside space to pitch tents at albergues during busy periods? ( I imagine with good weather and lots of students walking during the summer many others might have similar ideas)
4. Have you camped at albergues/ sites along the less travelled caminos during the summer and what has been your experience?
5. Are mosquitos a problem in general at this time of year when camping outdoors?

Hello all!

...so much gratitude to everybody in this community, you may not realise how much your contributions can make someone's day/ even change someone's life...as reading them in this forum has done for me! Heartfelt thanks to all ♥

Welcome Wild Irish!
I'm a new member too and blown away by the generosity of spirit on this forum! ...and like you finding support and inspiration everyday.
Pleased things are working out for you in Spain. Seeing myself spending a lot of time there as well.
Saludos y buen camino!

Welcome Wild Irish!
I'm a new member too and blown away by the generosity of spirit on this forum! ...and like you finding support and inspiration everyday.
Pleased things are working out for you in Spain. Seeing myself spending a lot of time there as well.
Saludos y buen camino!

And a huge warm welcome to you too Mima1965! 🤗 It's great that you're feeling the inspiration too and thanks for the kind words, right back at ya! Very best of luck to you spending time out here too, I hope it'll happen for you soon, happy new year and buen Camino! (You're the first person I've wished a buen Camino to, y muchas gracias 😁)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello all!

This is a thread that I had posted information about camping, although it was with regard to a question about the Primitivo. The information that I had posted still applies to the Frances.

I have asked many alburgues on my Caminos - that had open space around the building - as a point of curiosity, if they would allow a small shelter to be setup (tent, tarp, etc) and found that many alburgues are open to allowing it, IF they have the space. You already stated that paying a fee is no issue, so you are already prepared to do so. :)

There are quite a few campground type facilities along the Frances. Just look for such on Google Maps and Google as you decide your likely end-of-day stopping points. Also, do not rule out asking at a farm or home on the outskirts of a village or town if you can 'borrow' a small camping spot.

Rather then a tent, you might wish to think of tarp type shelters utilizing a sheet of polycro or thicker mils of plastic. If you would like more info on that type of shelter, send me a PM. :)

I can't be of much help as I haven't really camped on my Caminos but one place I did stay at was Fuentes Blancas camping which is more or less on the way into Burgos on the river route, where we stayed on our first night in Burgos (we took a rest day there and spent the second night in a nice hotel across from the Cathedral). But if you are going to stay st Fuentes Blancas, be careful as you walk because it is easy to walk right past it and miss it.

This is a thread that I had posted information about camping, although it was with regard to a question about the Primitivo. The information that I had posted still applies to the Frances.

I have asked many alburgues on my Caminos - that had open space around the building - as a point of curiosity, if they would allow a small shelter to be setup (tent, tarp, etc) and found that many alburgues are open to allowing it, IF they have the space. You already stated that paying a fee is no issue, so you are already prepared to do so. :)

There are quite a few campground type facilities along the Frances. Just look for such on Google Maps and Google as you decide your likely end-of-day stopping points. Also, do not rule out asking at a farm or home on the outskirts of a village or town if you can 'borrow' a small camping spot.

Rather then a tent, you might wish to think of tarp type shelters utilizing a sheet of polycro or thicker mils of plastic. If you would like more info on that type of shelter, send me a PM. :)

Gracias Davebugg,
Good advise re: asking locals.
The times I did that (though not in the camino) I had amazing success and experiences. Ending up having meals with locals, taking me places & keeping in touch with them afterwards.
One in particular I met in Cadiz, has come to visit me in New Zealand & when I am in Spain I stay in his apartment in Puerto de la Duquesa. Another friend I met like that & I love staying with is in Seville.
For some locals its like a festive event to have a person from another country staying with them. And I think once they find out you are a camino de Santiago pilgrim they will feel honoured & happy to offer you support .....and company if you need that!
Buena suerte!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wonder if the locals would be as friendly about letting someone camp on the Francis. Last fall I was so embrarrased by the amount of toilet paper left along the way even on private property. And even when a trash can was near by. I stopped once along the road to read a sign and nearly stepped in a pile of human poop in the open in front of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200105-061949.jpg
    Screenshot_20200105-061949.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 10
Hello all!

Attachments

• ALBERGUESURI - TABEL - CAMINO FRANCEZ 2017.pdf
    445.9 KB · Views: 16

Hi Davebugg! Thank you for your reply, when I was researching yesterday I had actually bookmarked your response in that thread related to the Primitivo as it was really informative! 😁 That's great to know that the albergues you inquired at where generally open to it if they had the space so when I'm on route I could always ring ahead to find out. Also great idea to ask landowners when passing through! I never thought of a tarp set up so I'll definitely look into that. And may I say, hats off to you sir, your responses on this forum in relation to equipment, foot care etc are second to none, you should consider writing a book/ practical guide to all things camino/ hiking related. Great advice, cheers! 👍🤗

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Gracias Davebugg,
Good advise re: asking locals.
The times I did that (though not in the camino) I had amazing success and experiences. Ending up having meals with locals, taking me places & keeping in touch with them afterwards.
One in particular I met in Cadiz, has come to visit me in New Zealand & when I am in Spain I stay in his apartment in Puerto de la Duquesa. Another friend I met like that & I love staying with is in Seville.
For some locals its like a festive event to have a person from another country staying with them. And I think once they find out you are a camino de Santiago pilgrim they will feel honoured & happy to offer you support .....and company if you need that!
Buena suerte!

It's so true! Since I moved here a few months ago I've been humbled by people's kindness and friendliness! People here are very warm, I was so worried about my basic Spanish skills (I'm learning!)but people have been very understanding and once you try they appreciate it! That's great you've made life long friends from your experiences, hopefully I will too! 😁

I wonder if the locals would be as friendly about letting someone camp on the Francis. Last fall I was so embrarrased by the amount of toilet paper left along the way even on private property. And even when a trash can was near by. I stopped once along the road to read a sign and nearly stepped in a pile of human poop in the open in front of it.

I've read a lot about this on the forum and it seems to be a big problem which is a real shame, especially when bins are provided! ...If I were to ask permission to camp on somebody's land then of course I would follow leave no trace principals. However, my questions were about camping legally at albergues and official camp sites 🙂

I can't be of much help as I haven't really camped on my Caminos but one place I did stay at was Fuentes Blancas camping which is more or less on the way into Burgos on the river route, where we stayed on our first night in Burgos (we took a rest day there and spent the second night in a nice hotel across from the Cathedral). But if you are going to stay st Fuentes Blancas, be careful as you walk because it is easy to walk right past it and miss it.

Hi David, thank you for the info, very helpful! I actually came across one of your posts in another thread about camping and you had mentioned Fuentes Blancas so I added it to my list!😁 It sounds perfect for me and great idea to take a rest day there too.. I didn't think camping areas were available in cities so you've opened up more options for research, cheers and thank you for the rec! 👍

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Puiu! Thank you very much for taking the time to send this attachment, much appreciated.. I'm going to sit down and study it now, cheers! 👍😁

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back