• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping, Equipment, and General Questions for Camino Frances in September

Sandy Briggs

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino this September 2015 - SJPD to Santiago
I am excited to start planning my solo journey in September 2015 from SPJDP to Santiago. I am a 56 year old woman and will be making the journey alone. I am from Idaho in the USA. It is my desire to camp along the way and stay in a hostel to take a shower and wash clothes every few days. I have limited time off work and will need to hike at least 20 miles a day to complete the 500 miles in the time I have. If I started with the higher route over the mountains the first day, is that a bad idea? It sounds like from previous posts camping is possible just off the route just about everywhere. What is the weather typically like in September? How are the crowds? Any information you'd like to share with me would be greatly appreciated. My husband of 34 years just had double hip replacement surgery and will not be able to come with me.

I am an avid fly fisher and wondered if anyone ever stopped along the way for some fly fishing? I wondered if it would be worth packing my fly rod and some flies?

Thanks for your time. Love and light!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sandy,
Being from Idaho, it sounds like you are approaching this like a backpacking trip. I did too. That mindset almost ruined my Camino (mostly because I took footwear for backpacking, not for what was required by the Camino). For a fuller explanation, see my post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...id-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/#post-269857

To your questions. First, camping is not generally legal along most of the Camino. Once you see the amount of poop and paper behind every hedge and tree, you will understand why. We saw one couple doing it, but it is not really necessary. Albuergues are cheap, 5-10E per night, and with the Euro on par with the Dollar, save yourself the weight, and gift yourself with the social opportunities of the albuergues. That is where you are going to meet, and keep reconnecting with, your Camino family.

Second, starting in SJPP and walking over the mountains is a great way to start, and coming from Idaho, you will not think they are mountains at all. Foothills at best.

Third, I saw no one fishing in the rivers, not even locals. I'm not sure if it was illegal, or just that there were no fish.

Fourth, 20 miles (32kms) a day is aggressive and I saw only the young college-age kids doing it on a day-after-day basis. Again, this is not a five-night backpacking trip--the continual wear and tear on feet and muscles requires a very different approach, much more like the AT or PCT (without the pack weight). If you get caught short of time, here is my suggestion copied from another thread with a few edits:

I would not skip the meseta (Burgos to Leon)--that was very meditative walking for me. I would, however, skip the cities. The concrete and asphalt of the cities killed my feet, and I did not find the urban areas that spiritually or visually nourishing. The cathedrals are architectural wonders (although touristy), so you might bus in, see them, then bus out. Some people do not like this approach as it seems their spiritual lesson is to keep walking, even through areas that are not pretty or uplifting. My spiritual lesson is that suffering is optional. Everyone is at their own place. I think you'll figure out what you need to do for yourself as you walk.

If you do decide to skip the urban areas, often you can just use the metro buses--take them from the first place they appear into the city center, then back out again (we did that out of Leon and should have done it into Pamplona (except the bus was completely filled with San Fermin celebrants)).

Specifically, I would do this around Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, and definitely Ponferrada (which I found to be a gang-tag filled urban mess). Logrono is a nice walk, both in and out. For Ponferrada catch the bus or taxi in Molinaseca--the walk from there is all concrete and asphalt. We then took a taxi to just the next hamlet outside the city, and started walking again. For Leon we took the bus from Mules and then the metro bus to Virgin del Camino.

Finally, there is a nasty bit of road walking after Villafranca Bierzo (spelling of all city names is approximate) just as you are re-entering the mountains. From there, I highly recommend the "high route," which was steep but the nicest day of walking we had (take extra water). If you do not do that (and no other pilgrim did it the day we walked), you will be walking by a busy highway separated by a concrete barrier. That is bad enough (and I would take the high route or a taxi--I would not walk the low route), but then, just after Trabelo, the barrier ends, and you are walking with rather large trucks whizzing by within a couple of meters of you with no protection. I consider walking that section to be the most foolish, dangerous thing I have done in years. If (when) I walk it again, I would definitely take a taxi through this section. Start walking again at Las Herrerias, where the Camino turns on to a much smaller road.

If you take buses/taxis around those 4 cities and the section after Villafranca (and if you need to make up time, the whole section from Molinaseca to Las Herrerias), I hope you will have time to start in SJPP and walk the meseta and everything else except the urban areas. Should I ever be fortunate enough to have time to walk the Frances again, that is how I would do it, even if not pressed for time (I could always use the extra time to go to Finisterre and Muxia).

Some would express concern about leaving behind your Camino family (you may do that anyway at 20 miles a day). This is a real concern--they become your support network while you are doing the most physically demanding thing you have probably ever done. My experience doing what I have described is that these little jumps around urban areas did not result in losing them. Perhaps it was because my badly mangled feet (another thread) limited my kms/day, but I found that we kept connecting and reconnecting with our family. YMMV.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

It is my desire to camp along the way and stay in a hostel to take a shower and wash clothes every few days. I have limited time off work and will need to hike at least 20 miles a day to complete the 500 miles in the time I have.

Hi Sandy, I met a lot of pilgrims who hiked about 20 miles a day. (Well, they SAID they were doing 30 to 40 kms each day, but I only met them once :)) So no problem, go for it, and you can walk the entire route without busing any of it. But you really do not need the tent. There are lots of cheap places to stay and you’ll meet some interesting people to spend the evening with in those places, even though you may never see them again. And if you decide to slow down, the camino will always be there for you to go back and finish it another year. Jill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Sandy!
Welcome to the Forum - you've come to the right place to get answers to your questions.

I agree with Jo-Jo. I think you have to get out of the mind set that the Camino is a backpacking trip.

It isn't.

I didn't encounter anyone who camped the entire way. Camping spots aren't as available as you seem to think. I did not see any pilgrims fishing along the way. I did see some locals, about three times, fishing catch-and-release.

Your planned distances may be challenging. First, start thinking in kilometers rather than miles (I'm from NY). Get your guidebook (most English speakers I encountered had the Brierly) and let it give you an idea of what you'll encounter.

I walked my first Camino, solo, from SJPdP ((Saint Jean Pied de Port) to SdC (Santiago de Campostelle) when I was on the other side of 60 y.o. It was the adventure of a lifetime. So much so that I'm doing it again in about a month - starting even further out!

The more you hang around here in the Forum, the more questions you'll have. Don't get overwhelmed. You can do it!!! This is going to be GREAT!!

Buen Camino

kathy

Sandy,
Being from Idaho, it sounds like you are approaching this like a backpacking trip. I did too. That mindset almost ruined my Camino (mostly because I took footwear for backpacking, not for what was required by the Camino). For a fuller explanation, see my post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...id-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/#post-269857

To your questions. First, camping is not generally legal along most of the Camino. Once you see the amount of poop and paper behind every hedge and tree, you will understand why. We saw one couple doing it, but it is not really necessary. Albuergues are cheap, 5-10E per night, and with the Euro on par with the Dollar, save yourself the weight, and gift yourself with the social opportunities of the albuergues. That is where you are going to meet, and keep reconnecting with, your Camino family.

Second, starting in SJPP and walking over the mountains is a great way to start, and coming from Idaho, you will not think they are mountains at all. Foothills at best.

Third, I saw no one fishing in the rivers, not even locals. I'm not sure if it was illegal, or just that there were no fish.

Fourth, 20 miles (32kms) a day is aggressive and I saw only the young college-age kids doing it on a day-after-day basis. Again, this is not a five-night backpacking trip--the continual wear and tear on feet and muscles requires a very different approach, much more like the AT or PCT (without the pack weight). If you get caught short of time, here is my suggestion copied from another thread with a few edits:

I would not skip the meseta (Burgos to Leon)--that was very meditative walking for me. I would, however, skip the cities. The concrete and asphalt of the cities killed my feet, and I did not find the urban areas that spiritually or visually nourishing. The cathedrals are architectural wonders (although touristy), so you might bus in, see them, then bus out. Some people do not like this approach as it seems their spiritual lesson is to keep walking, even through areas that are not pretty or uplifting. My spiritual lesson is that suffering is optional. Everyone is at their own place. I think you'll figure out what you need to do for yourself as you walk.

If you do decide to skip the urban areas, often you can just use the metro buses--take them from the first place they appear into the city center, then back out again (we did that out of Leon and should have done it into Pamplona (except the bus was completely filled with San Fermin celebrants)).

Specifically, I would do this around Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, and definitely Ponferrada (which I found to be a gang-tag filled urban mess). Logrono is a nice walk, both in and out. For Ponferrada catch the bus or taxi in Molinaseca--the walk from there is all concrete and asphalt. We then took a taxi to just the next hamlet outside the city, and started walking again. For Leon we took the bus from Mules and then the metro bus to Virgin del Camino.

Finally, there is a nasty bit of road walking after Villafranca Bierzo (spelling of all city names is approximate) just as you are re-entering the mountains. From there, I highly recommend the "high route," which was steep but the nicest day of walking we had (take extra water). If you do not do that (and no other pilgrim did it the day we walked), you will be walking by a busy highway separated by a concrete barrier. That is bad enough (and I would take the high route or a taxi--I would not walk the low route), but then, just after Trabelo, the barrier ends, and you are walking with rather large trucks whizzing by within a couple of meters of you with no protection. I consider walking that section to be the most foolish, dangerous thing I have done in years. If (when) I walk it again, I would definitely take a taxi through this section. Start walking again at Las Herrerias, where the Camino turns on to a much smaller road.

If you take buses/taxis around those 4 cities and the section after Villafranca (and if you need to make up time, the whole section from Molinaseca to Las Herrerias), I hope you will have time to start in SJPP and walk the meseta and everything else except the urban areas. Should I ever be fortunate enough to have time to walk the Frances again, that is how I would do it, even if not pressed for time (I could always use the extra time to go to Finisterre and Muxia).

Some would express concern about leaving behind your Camino family (you may do that anyway at 20 miles a day). This is a real concern--they become your support network while you are doing the most physically demanding thing you have probably ever done. My experience doing what I have described is that these little jumps around urban areas did not result in losing them. Perhaps it was because my badly mangled feet (another thread) limited my kms/day, but I found that we kept connecting and reconnecting with our family. YMMV.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Thank you, Jo Jo. I hope I am replying in the right section, my first reply. Guess I'll go where the cursor sends me. I was very interested to read your reply and thought it contained some very sound thoughts and concerns. I too, like the country versus the cities. I have visited Burgos and Paploma on a previous holiday so I know what you are talking about, although the cathedral in Burgos was magnificent. I had heard the hostels were much more expensive than your quote above so I was planning on camping to save more money and time. I see now that perhaps taking the trip in a short period of time does not support some of the benefits of walking the Camino. Therefore, I will decide to do half of the Camino this trip and go back and finish the other half at a later time. This will allow me to walk a much more "Camino-like" pace and gain new friends along the way. To meet a friend and never see them again would be terrible. I'd like to get to know the special ones a little longer. Breaking the trip up will give me that opportunity.

Sorry to hear about the fishing. I might bring my rod just in case I spy a trout rising to a fly. Did you walk along water during the journey? What percentage would you imagine that was? I have seen very few photos of water along the route.

The only thing I was interested in still was the weather. Am I going to roast in late August, early September???

Thanks so much for your time and help with my Camino journey planning. I appreciate you more than you know. :)

Sandy

Hi, Sandy!
Welcome to the Forum - you've come to the right place to get answers to your questions.

I agree with Jo-Jo. I think you have to get out of the mind set that the Camino is a backpacking trip.

It isn't.

I didn't encounter anyone who camped the entire way. Camping spots aren't as available as you seem to think. I did not see any pilgrims fishing along the way. I did see some locals, about three times, fishing catch-and-release.

Your planned distances may be challenging. First, start thinking in kilometers rather than miles (I'm from NY). Get your guidebook (most English speakers I encountered had the Brierly) and let it give you an idea of what you'll encounter.

I walked my first Camino, solo, from SJPdP ((Saint Jean Pied de Port) to SdC (Santiago de Campostelle) when I was on the other side of 60 y.o. It was the adventure of a lifetime. So much so that I'm doing it again in about a month - starting even further out!

The more you hang around here in the Forum, the more questions you'll have. Don't get overwhelmed. You can do it!!! This is going to be GREAT!!

Buen Camino

kathy

Thank you, Kathy. I value your opinion. It is nice to know locals fish. I am a fly fisher, so catch and release is my life. I want someone else to have the opportunity to catch those beautiful gifts, but may they become bigger each time - smile.

I have Brierly's book. It is good, but I am a very visual person and find that it doesn't give me enough photos - smile.

Where are you starting this time? How fun for you. :)

Thanks for your time and may your next trip be more wonderful than the first.

Sandy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Sandy, I met a lot of pilgrims who hiked about 20 miles a day. (Well, they SAID they were doing 30 to 40 kms each day, but I only met them once :)) So no problem, go for it, and you can walk the entire route without busing any of it. But you really do not need the tent. There are lots of cheap places to stay and you’ll meet some interesting people to spend the evening with in those places, even though you may never see them again. And if you decide to slow down, the camino will always be there for you to go back and finish it another year. Jill

Thank you so much for your reply Jill. I love your positive, sunny attitude. I am thinking I might just have to slow down and not try to do it all in the time I have. I have talked to my husband and we might just wait a few years for retirement and go together. It would be fun to walk at your own pace and I would love to go all the way to the coast, too. Heck, we might as well spend the summer backpacking around Europe, too.

Thanks you so much. Hope your life is filled with love and light.

Happy Trails - Sandy

Hi Sandy. I waited a few years to do it with my husband when he retired and I am glad I did. He has been my rock of support throughout my training. Whenever I tell someone what I am about to do they invariably all have a start of surprise and then they paint on a smile and start asking questions, listen to my reply and shake their heads in wonderment that I am considering doing something .... so .... epic ... at my age ... at my fitness level ... I have gotten used to it but I know what they are thinking ... it's what I think in the deep moments of self doubt I get from time to time ... she (I) am out of my blooming mind! But not my husband ... he knows how much I want to do this no matter how far I get (or not as the case may be) and his encouragment means the world to me ... that said ... there are still moments when I wish I had gone as soon as the bug hit me ... still moments where I resent not going when I was 55 instead of 58 ... that I didn't wait for him to retire ... when my knees were a little stronger and my weight a little less ...still moments where I mourn the idea of me all by myself just this once ... setting out to do something epic ... based on nothing more than my inner strength ... meeting new friends that I may not meet with my husband since I am so comfortable in the bubble we create around ourselves when we walk ... it is a choice ... to walk alone or with others ... and each choice has consequences. I am walking with my husband this May and it is the absolute right choice for me ... we are a team and we always will be. He is my rock and my support. He is my cheerleader and partner ... I think this time on this adventure, I am his inspiration ... I am SO glad I waited ... but still, every once and a while ... ... make sure you are comfortable in your choice ... I am ... but still ... some day ... after this Camino ... I might try it again ... all by myself ... if I like it, and I suspect I will :)

@Sandy Briggs, since you are from Idaho, I think it is a fair bet that you will roast in August and early September. I live in wet and wonderful SE Alaska and I roasted in mid September, 2013. October was such a relief. I honestly don't know how the hardy souls survive the summer heat unless they are conditioned.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sandy, first, have a great Camino. It is a wonderful adventure, and more.

I'm a fly fishing guide, and am familiar with Spain after many visits. Leave the gear and tackle at home. You might see some fishermen at the weir in Leon, and at a few other places, but the type of fishing you are used to is not found along the CF. At least not enough to warrant the extra weight. Also, I understand the permit regs are complex.
If you need a fix, there is a very nice fly shop in Leon. (Flyfishing = pesca con mosca.)

Buen Viaje, and tight lines.
Buddy

Um, I saw locals fishing three times. I didn't say I saw them catch anything. I don't recall that there were lots of rivers/streams to cross so there wasn't alot of opportunity to fish.
If your pack is light enough to carry, take whatever extra stuff you want. However, CaptBuddy seems to be familiar with the situation and I would follow his advice. I suggest you consider leaving the fishing tackle behind for a few weeks.;)
Why would you want photos of the Camino in your guidebook when you are actually ON the Camino? Save the weight. If you want some inspiration during this time before you go, there are lots of available videos on the internet (not to mention THAT MOVIE). :rolleyes:
Which I loved and which is how my journey began.
I don't think my next journey can possibly be more wonderful than the last, but it will definitely be different. :cool:
Feel free to ask questions here.
Buen Camino!:)

Thank you, Jo Jo. I hope I am replying in the right section, my first reply. Guess I'll go where the cursor sends me. I was very interested to read your reply and thought it contained some very sound thoughts and concerns. I too, like the country versus the cities. I have visited Burgos and Paploma on a previous holiday so I know what you are talking about, although the cathedral in Burgos was magnificent. I had heard the hostels were much more expensive than your quote above so I was planning on camping to save more money and time. I see now that perhaps taking the trip in a short period of time does not support some of the benefits of walking the Camino. Therefore, I will decide to do half of the Camino this trip and go back and finish the other half at a later time. This will allow me to walk a much more "Camino-like" pace and gain new friends along the way. To meet a friend and never see them again would be terrible. I'd like to get to know the special ones a little longer. Breaking the trip up will give me that opportunity.

Sorry to hear about the fishing. I might bring my rod just in case I spy a trout rising to a fly. Did you walk along water during the journey? What percentage would you imagine that was? I have seen very few photos of water along the route.

The only thing I was interested in still was the weather. Am I going to roast in late August, early September???

Thanks so much for your time and help with my Camino journey planning. I appreciate you more than you know. :)

Sandy
Hello Sandy,

I would second your idea of walking half now, and coming back for the second half at another time. Not only because it will give you a much better appreciation for this experience, but because it will inhabit you until you return and that will bring you a lot of joy as you plan, dream, wonder. And you will be much kinder to your body.

Regarding water along the Camino: very few rivers and where there are some they have very little water running through them. I can think of arriving in Zubiri, Molinaseca, arriving in Melide. Anyone else? Oh, the one where the Italians love the San Nicolas Ermita. Eh, if fishing is your thing, considering that fishing rods weight nothing these days: go for it!

Finally, regarding the weather, as you know, weather being what it is it is not 100% predictable but do treat late August - early September was warm, though not scortching hot (except in peak hours perhaps of on exceptional days). Mornings may be coolish, so a light fleece might be nice to have, but to sleep a liner will be fine. Just think if layering in case of a bit of fresh air. You may get days of rain, so plan for that as well, but also bring a hat and / or sunscreen. I have had Caminos during which I expected lovely weather and got cold and mud, and the last one when I expected rain and cold and got dry and hot weather (oh the smell of my synthetic cloathing! - Eurk!)

Ah, you mention the price of hostels. Be mindful of the vocabulary: albergues are the dorms that cater mostly exclusively to pilgrims. They run from "donativo" - giving what you can, which does not mean free and often provide us with so much more than others - to 5-8 or 10 euros a night, some with some sort of breakfast, others not. Then there are hostales or pensiones: I would compare those to basic, non-victorian, not so pretty B&Bs with rooms for 2 people in general, with common bathrooms or private ones for a bit more money. But the vast majority of pilgrims use Albergues, heading to a hostal or pension here and there when they want a bath, or to have a night of sleep with less snoring (but be careful, walls can be thin and you can hear snoring across the wall!)

My advice to you is to get your hands on one of the many guide books. In there you will see maps with rivers and all the albergues en route with prices.

Enjoy your planing!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sandy, this is warm water fishing, a short distance south of Leon.
After you enjoy your Camino, make plans to go back for a fishing trip. The scenery is spectacular!!! :cool:

Attachments

• 20100502_castle-fishing.jpg
    20100502_castle-fishing.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi Sandy. I waited a few years to do it with my husband when he retired and I am glad I did. He has been my rock of support throughout my training. Whenever I tell someone what I am about to do they invariably all have a start of surprise and then they paint on a smile and start asking questions, listen to my reply and shake their heads in wonderment that I am considering doing something .... so .... epic ... at my age ... at my fitness level ... I have gotten used to it but I know what they are thinking ... it's what I think in the deep moments of self doubt I get from time to time ... she (I) am out of my blooming mind! But not my husband ... he knows how much I want to do this no matter how far I get (or not as the case may be) and his encouragment means the world to me ... that said ... there are still moments when I wish I had gone as soon as the bug hit me ... still moments where I resent not going when I was 55 instead of 58 ... that I didn't wait for him to retire ... when my knees were a little stronger and my weight a little less ...still moments where I mourn the idea of me all by myself just this once ... setting out to do something epic ... based on nothing more than my inner strength ... meeting new friends that I may not meet with my husband since I am so comfortable in the bubble we create around ourselves when we walk ... it is a choice ... to walk alone or with others ... and each choice has consequences. I am walking with my husband this May and it is the absolute right choice for me ... we are a team and we always will be. He is my rock and my support. He is my cheerleader and partner ... I think this time on this adventure, I am his inspiration ... I am SO glad I waited ... but still, every once and a while ... ... make sure you are comfortable in your choice ... I am ... but still ... some day ... after this Camino ... I might try it again ... all by myself ... if I like it, and I suspect I will :)

How funny that you have looked into my heart of hearts and know what I go through. My husband is my rock, too, and we do almost EVERYTHING together. My kids are encouraging me to go alone because they think it will be good for me to not have Dad to rely on. I am a strong woman, but there is comfort in having him with me - my protector, confident, friend... I waffle between waiting for retirement and doing it together and going it alone. Some things bother me about going alone, the least of which is danger. The biggest thing is that I am under such a time constraint that I will not have the opportunity to forge friendships because almost everyone will be walking at a much slower pace than I. I may meet someone, but chances are I won't see them again as my schedule is very set. I long for the ability to walk as I feel and not push, push, push, but if I plan to make the whole 500 miles in the time I have, then I will have to push. Part of me wants to prove I can push and make it - I am strong. But, the other part wants me to take my time and enjoy my freedom, the sights, and the people. People are funny when you tell them what you are planning. First, it's the WHY? Second is always ALONE? I still haven't totally decided. I waffle (A LOT). I can't wait much after late July because I have to give work 30 days notice and I have to be done by September 30th. Truth is, I'd really like to do it by myself. Like you, I will probably always think of how it would have been being outside my bubble, but then I think, what if I love it so much with him, I decide to do it without him some day, too. If I am honest, I would probably not do it alone after going with him because it would just be harder the older I get and if we are both retired, then what would he do while I am gone? At least if I do it now, he can work to pass the time. Oh, lots of things to think about and a lot of decisions to make. Thank you for your input. I have no doubt, should we meet on the Camino someday, we'd be great friends (whether alone or with our husbands). Love and light dear one.

Hello Sandy,

I would second your idea of walking half now, and coming back for the second half at another time. Not only because it will give you a much better appreciation for this experience, but because it will inhabit you until you return and that will bring you a lot of joy as you plan, dream, wonder. And you will be much kinder to your body.

Regarding water along the Camino: very few rivers and where there are some they have very little water running through them. I can think of arriving in Zubiri, Molinaseca, arriving in Melide. Anyone else? Oh, the one where the Italians love the San Nicolas Ermita. Eh, if fishing is your thing, considering that fishing rods weight nothing these days: go for it!

Finally, regarding the weather, as you know, weather being what it is it is not 100% predictable but do treat late August - early September was warm, though not scortching hot (except in peak hours perhaps of on exceptional days). Mornings may be coolish, so a light fleece might be nice to have, but to sleep a liner will be fine. Just think if layering in case of a bit of fresh air. You may get days of rain, so plan for that as well, but also bring a hat and / or sunscreen. I have had Caminos during which I expected lovely weather and got cold and mud, and the last one when I expected rain and cold and got dry and hot weather (oh the smell of my synthetic cloathing! - Eurk!)

Ah, you mention the price of hostels. Be mindful of the vocabulary: albergues are the dorms that cater mostly exclusively to pilgrims. They run from "donativo" - giving what you can, which does not mean free and often provide us with so much more than others - to 5-8 or 10 euros a night, some with some sort of breakfast, others not. Then there are hostales or pensiones: I would compare those to basic, non-victorian, not so pretty B&Bs with rooms for 2 people in general, with common bathrooms or private ones for a bit more money. But the vast majority of pilgrims use Albergues, heading to a hostal or pension here and there when they want a bath, or to have a night of sleep with less snoring (but be careful, walls can be thin and you can hear snoring across the wall!)

My advice to you is to get your hands on one of the many guide books. In there you will see maps with rivers and all the albergues en route with prices.

Enjoy your planing!

Thank you for your kind advice. I appreciate it more than you know. I have a guide book, Biererley's, but I prefer real people and experiences to that of reading. Truthfully, I would have found that there are so many differing opinions that I almost have too much information. Alas, but I love talking to people who have been the most. It just makes it so much more personal to me. I am toying with the half-now, half-later. Perhaps my husband can join me on the half-later. There is so much to think about, truly.

Fly fishing is my first love. I would give up something in my pack to bring my rod and some flies. Fortunately, they do not weigh much and there is a new rod a "Tenkara" that I have been looking for an excuse to buy. The Camino might be just the right excuse. There is no reel so it would be light indeed! Thank you for your information on rivers, etc. Much appreciated.

Thank you for the information on Albergues. I appreciate the difference now. :)

If you had a choice between September and June, which would you pick?

Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for the information. I know what you mean about roasting. Our tennis team made it to Nationals in October in Tucson and I really roasted there. I appreciate your kind help. :)

If you had a choice between September and June, which would you pick?

Sandy, honnestly, I have walked mid-May to mid-June and Mid-September to Mid-October and loved them both. I would say that the major difference is that in September the university students are back in school and there are perhaps fewer people, although I'm sure you could look up stats on this forum and see if I am correct or not.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back