• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping from Geneva!

Lemosho

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 june 1st
Hey!
So I am planing to camp my way from Geneva to Santiago leaving on the 3rd of June and I was wondering I anyone has any insight to what the Camp sites are like are they serviced, or are they green field, or are they mostly Gites.

I am planing to cook mostly my own food on a little gas stove, does anyone know how easy it is to get hold of the little gas canisters along the way?

Last question is to do with washing myself, are there many rivers along the route? Would it be possible to wash in them the odd day to save me having to pay for a room to just have a shower every other day??

Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks

Paul

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lemosho said:
I was wondering I anyone has any insight to what the Camp sites are like are they serviced, or are they green field, or are they mostly Gites.

I camped from Le Puy to Santiago, so I can't tell you much about the section between Geneva and Le Puy, but I'll say one thing about campgrounds--I can't really imagine hiking the trail that way. I never stayed at any of them--they're crowded and noisy and it's so much nicer just to camp in the wild well away from towns and cities.

I am planing to cook mostly my own food on a little gas stove, does anyone know how easy it is to get hold of the little gas canisters along the way?

I'm not sure about gas canisters. I used a soda can stove (http://www.thesodacanstove.com) and didn't have any trouble finding denatured alcohol for that in France or Spain. But since it uses denatured alcohol, I never kept my eyes open for gas canisters.

are there many rivers along the route? Would it be possible to wash in them the odd day to save me having to pay for a room to just have a shower every other day??

Yeah, I suppose you could probably do that if you really wanted to. I never did that, but there certainly would have been opportunities for it if I wanted to. Maybe not *every* day, but you'll probably find a creek or other water source most days.

-- Ryan

Cycled Le Puy to SJPP in June 2010 camping all the way and had nothing but excellent experiences with the campgrounds along the way. Clean, pleasant, conveniently situated. Recommended.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Stoves - the 'Bluet' type cannisters seemed readily available but the screw in type common in North America not.

Hi Paul,

I cover the route in my blog, starting in Geneva from day 24.
Might gives you some input on where to stay :)

Cheers,
MichaelV

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back