• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping in France & Spain

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
This will be my first camino. I've been doing a lot of research and have figured some things out, but I've also come up with more questions. I've never done a long-distance hike before, but I am determined to make it from Le Puy to Santiago summer 2014. I don't have a big budget, and since the trip will take at least 2 months, I want to save as much as possible. I know the Spanish section has lots of albergues for pretty cheap (5-10€) but I've been looking at accommodations along the Chemin du Puy and they're a little more expensive, and a few places I've seen prices starting at 30-40€ per night (according to www.chemindecompostelle.com). I'm considering camping and was wondering if anyone has experience doing this, both in France and Spain. One gîte I noticed offered camping, which cost significantly less. Also, as I understand it, summer is pretty busy and it might be difficult finding accommodation. Does the Miam Miam Dodo guide have camping options? What about camping in Spain?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What about camping in Spain?
I started off in Pamplona this year in the popular summer month of August. I took a cheap but light 4 man tent which was only really big enough for 2 people max - the extra weight was well worth all the living space. I wanted the Luxury of being able to stop off wherever I felt was ideal and I also wanted to be assured of a roof over my head - there was one evening where I slept in my tent in the garden of an Albergue that was full - I still paid the asking rate for the night.
I have had an annual Camino experience scince 2002 , I'm hooked - so I have always fantasised about a 'camping camino'. For years I have been looking out for the best spots with great views - 90% of my sites were 'Wild Camping' sites. Sure , I did break the rules but I always cleaned up after myself and left my sites as I found them. I never used camping resorts , they were too expensive - Albergues were cheaper. I only spent 8 nights out of 4 weeks in my tent. Finding a piece of level ground was one of the challenging problems , another was privacy and saftey , and then of course , respect for property.
Here are a few of my secret , and best evening sites.
The first , Alto del Perdon , over looking Pamplona - all food had to be bought and carried but you always have to carry 3 to 5 litres of water for a remote location like this. Note the camo poncho which added strength and water proofing qualities.
Second pic is just outside Naverette , as this was a historical site , I took extra care in pitching my tent as far away from the Archaeology as possible. Flat , grassy surface with RUNNING WATER!
Thirdly , Heading towards Najera , 5km after Ventosa , a the top of the steep climb ....... a forgotten picnic site , obscured by the new vineyard - few people know that it is there - I had my first sighting of a wild boar here at dusk, all 140kg of him - I just booed him and he took of like a scalded cat ...........all water and food had to be carried to here ...but what an evening view!
A camping stove is a must , really paying dividends when a large tin of cothido is only €1.50 - but like everything , it is extra weight.
Finally , It was cold in the evenings , even in mid summer .............. it was as good as it looks though , well worth the experience.

a.jpg aaaa.jpg aa.jpg

Last edited:
You will need more than 2 months for this journey .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
According to: http://www.godesalco.com/plan/podense

these places offer camping (C) on the Chemin du Puy:

From Le Puy-en-Velay to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port through the Chemin du Puy
Summary
Longest stage: Aire-sur-l'Adour - Argagnon: 70.4 km.
Shortest stage: Saint-Jean-le-Vieux - Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port: 3.9 km.
Total distance: 728.2 km.
Stages: 29.
Average: 25.1 km per walking day.
Stage Partial (km) Cumulative (km) Lodging
1) Le Puy-en-Velay - Saint-Privat-d'Allier 23.6 23.6 G, C, H
2) Saint-Privat-d'Allier - Monistrol-d'Allier 6.7 30.3 3G, C, H
3) Monistrol-d'Allier - Saugues 11.7 42 3G, C, H
4) Saugues - Saint-Alban-sur-Limagnole 31.8 73.8 R, 4G, C, H
5) Saint-Alban-sur-Limagnole - Aumont-Aubrac 14.6 88.4 4G, C, H
6) Aumont-Aubrac - Nasbinals 25.7 114.1 6G, C, H
7) Nasbinals - Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac 15.8 129.9 2G, C, H
8) Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac - Saint-Côme-d'Olt 15.9 145.8 G, C, H
9) Saint-Côme-d'Olt - Espalion 7 152.8 2G, C, H
10) Espalion - Estaing 11.8 164.6 R, G, 2C, H
11) Estaing - Senergues 24.2 188.8 2G, 2C
12) Senergues - Conques 9.2 198 R, G, C, H
13) Conques - Livinhac-le-Haut 24.2 222.2 2G, 2C, H
14) Livinhac-le-Haut - Figeac 24.7 246.9 R, 5G, C, H
15) Figeac - Cajarc 30.4 277.3 G, C, H
16) Cajarc - Limogne-en-Quercy 17.6 294.9 G, C, H
17) Limogne-en-Quercy - Cahors 39.9 334.8 R, G, A, C, H
18) Cahors - Lauzerte 45 379.8 G, H, C
19) Lauzerte - Moissac 25.7 405.5 R, 2G, C, H
20) Moissac - Miradoux 37.5 443 G, C, H
21) Miradoux - La Romieu 33.6 476.6 G, C, H
22) La Romieu - Condom 12.9 489.5 G, C, H
23) Condom - Montréal-du-Gers 16.4 505.9 G, C, H

Camping does not mean exactly the same thing in France as in the U.S., where we take it to mean tent pads and a latrine. Camping in France may be a 100 sq. ft. hut, a yurt, or a caravan in a campground setting. The cost will be as much as a gite, though less than a chambre d'hotes. The high prices you are seeing for gites probably are for the demipension that includes dinner and breakfast. The typical cost for just a bed is 12E to 17E, compared to the 5E to 12E for an albergue in Spain.

Bon chemin for a month, then buen camino for a month!

This will be my first camino. I've been doing a lot of research and have figured some things out, but I've also come up with more questions. I've never done a long-distance hike before, but I am determined to make it from Le Puy to Santiago summer 2014. I don't have a big budget, and since the trip will take at least 2 months, I want to save as much as possible. I know the Spanish section has lots of albergues for pretty cheap (5-10€) but I've been looking at accommodations along the Chemin du Puy and they're a little more expensive, and a few places I've seen prices starting at 30-40€ per night (according to www.chemindecompostelle.com). I'm considering camping and was wondering if anyone has experience doing this, both in France and Spain. One gîte I noticed offered camping, which cost significantly less. Also, as I understand it, summer is pretty busy and it might be difficult finding accommodation. Does the Miam Miam Dodo guide have camping options? What about camping in Spain?

About Camping in France and Spain
My wife and I have done all the way in 65 days about 23 km per day on average. But we wore less than 9 kg each.
With hindsight, we believe that we were wrong when we decided to avoid shelters and hostels in France. Indeed, the main advantage of this path is the group. The integration in the group can only be done by living together, sleeping together, eating together, drinking together. This is why we decided to sleep in albergues soon as we entered our arrival in Spain.

We have camped only 3 times in Spain. The cost of living is much cheaper than in France. So with the savings on beer and restaurant meals, we spent less than in France. In addition, the Spanish traders are much nicer than the French. We left on the Camino Frances in 2012 in Saint-Jean-pied-de-Port, like all Dutch, English, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Korean, Japanese, Spanish, American, Canadian, Polish we met. It was a great pleasure to walk with all of 'em.

If your budget is really small, you can camp in France and return your tent by mail to your home. Indeed, campsites are few in Spain and they are more expensive than albergues.
My English is not correct, but if you do not mind about it, you can take a look at my blog. It is very untidy and there are lots of sketches made on the way or in the studio live model. I apologize in advance
http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/ :
- http://wp.me/pvbzg-d5
- http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/whattobring/
- http://wp.me/pvbzg-dI (How much should I allow each day on the camino ?)
If you read french : http://carnets-de-croquis.blogspot.fr/search/label/Compostelle
We will start a new hike from home via Arles, Toulouse, Somport and camino francès to Santiago on april or may next year. It will be the 5th time.
Buen camino
Alt

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from Le Puy to Santiago to Finister to Muxia in 2011. I done it in 70 days. I camped every single night. If you need any specific question answered about the camping these routes then just ask.

I walked from Le Puy to Santiago to Finister to Muxia in 2011. I done it in 70 days. I camped every single night. If you need any specific question answered about the camping these routes then just ask.
I am impressed to say the very least - I take my hat of to mate . 8 days was enough for me - Well Done!!

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back