• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camping in France

bkkboy

Time of past OR future Camino
I just cycled 1,300km from Pamplona to Santiago to Lisbon. I still not had enough so am returning to Pamplona by train, and plan to cycle towards Paris on Eurovelot 3. The cost of available accomodation along the route astonished me, 350 euro a night in some towns, so plan to buy a tent etc in Pamplona and camp along the way. Has anybody any experience of camping along Eurovelot 3? Some of the campgrounds are as expensive as hotels. All I want is a patch of ground for the night. Away before sunrise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just cycled 1,300km from Pamplona to Santiago to Lisbon. I still not had enough so am returning to Pamplona by train, and plan to cycle towards Paris on Eurovelot 3. The cost of available accomodation along the route astonished me, 350 euro a night in some towns, so plan to buy a tent etc in Pamplona and camp along the way. Has anybody any experience of camping along Eurovelot 3? Some of the campgrounds are as expensive as hotels. All I want is a patch of ground for the night. Away before sunrise.
bkkboy,

What a wonderful journey you are biking. Is this the route that you next wish to follow? It reads like another great ride.

Even now at 82 I love bikes; summer 1959 I biked using 3 speeds from London to Rome in four months.

Stay safe and Carpe diem

Last edited:
Sadly, France is VERY expensive compared to Spain. Calculate on spending about 3 times per day as you would in Spain.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am realising how expensive France is. The cost compared with Spain is astonishing me.

Not sure about the Eurovelo route, but France in general is great for camping with a huge network of camp sites. Those are usually quite cheap (especially for hikers and people travelling on bikes). High prices you see on the websites might be estimates for camper vans /caravans / mobile homes? Even many small towns have a tiny camp ground. Look / ask / google for "camping municipal". I don't think I've ever payed more than ten Euros a night on a french camp site with my small tent. If you buy food from the supermarket it's not that expensive and you'll get good quality. Decathlon has nice tents for not so much money, and easily available in Spain and France, if you still need to buy one. Bon Chemin!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I watched Efren Gonzalez Via Francigena videos through France (different route I know) , and he often had difficulty finding accommodation especially that fitted his stages, camped in campsites sometimes, and stealth camped some nights.

Even now at 82 I love bikes; summer 1959 I biked using 3 speeds from London to Rome in four months.
I would love to do a trip like this on an old English 3 speed! No schedule. I would be happy to do this trip on my modern bike as well but not be in a particular hurry.

I bet this ride when you were 20 years old must have been the most incredible experience. I will tell my 19 year old daughter, an adventure seeking college sophomore, that you made this ride back in '59.

hereI would love to do a trip like this on an old English 3 speed! No schedule. I would be happy to do this trip on my modern bike as well but not be in a particular hurry.

I bet this ride when you were 20 yers old must have been the most incredible experience. I will tell my 19 year old daughter, an adventure seeking college sophomore, that you made this ride back in '59.
Crosscheck Rider,
It changed my life. See more here

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for the heads up on the European bike routes. I have never noticed these before.
I have camped quite a lot hiking in Europe. I have only walked in southern France but found it very easy to camp there.
I much prefer a bivy bag to a tent though. There’s a bit of a learning curve but in the end I find it to be lighter, more discrete, and it gives you a much wider choice of camping spots. also I’m much more comfortable when I am able to see what’s happening around me. The downside is that it is not very comfortable in really foul weather but then I would be seriously looking to rent a room for the night.
There is a skill set that will take time to acquire to be really cozy but I love to have camping as an option.
im envious of your adventure. Best of luck

Also useful to know that some campsites in France offer special rates for cyclists or walkers but you often have to ask. This is more likely near major walking/cycling routes.
Otherwise I have camped in a few church grounds in France. Also cemetaries nearly always have a water tap in France.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Campsites in France aren't stupid prices on the whole. Even for a camper van with two people the price in high season is between fifteen and 25 euros. Smail tent and a bike is less. You might look into getting an ACSI card for a good discount outside the months of July and August. You pay for the card, which comes with a guide to all the participating sites, then get a lower rate out of high season.
Remember that you will always get good showers and usually some sort of snack bar and shop. Many sites on pilgrim routes have a discount for pilgrims with a credential, and some have a mobile home for pilgrims at a very low price.

I walked the Via Francigena (sort of) from Barcelona to Rome, joining the Francigena in Turin. My time in France ended as I crossed from Montgenevre into Italy. In general, France was expensive compared with Spain and Italy, but the French people were beyond compare in helpfulness and friendliness. I will never forget my time in France -- I fell in love with French people. I camped in some public campgrounds with a tent, and had to spend as much for those as in Spain in an albergue or in Italy in a convent or monastery. Plan on spending 2-3 times as much in France as in Spain, but expect French hospitality to more than make up for the cost.

In total, I cycled over 2,000km from Lisbon - Santiago - Pamplona - Bordeaux - Paris - Dieppe, then ferry to UK. Most I have cycled in my life is 90km over two days, about a year ago. not bad for a 72yo. Before starting, I did not believe I would reach Santiago, but it was not that difficult. Just paced myself. Including days off, averaged 50km a day. Hostels in Portugal and Spain. France was a financial shock. Bought a tent and sleeping bag at Decathlon, and all was good after that.
French campgrounds were about 20 euro, but came with showers and often a cafe. People I met in France were friendly and helpful. The couple of times I had a puncture a few people stopped to help. People in Spain and Portugal were friendly as well. Big problem in France is lack of , about 50 km to 60 km between cafes or supermarkets. This needs careful planning as a few days I did not eat. Finding a supermarket/cafe needs to be an important part of each day's plan. Cafe food is usually good, but supermarket food is cheap and good. Overall, I prefered cycling in Spain, France was a close second, and Portugal least of all. Portugal was hilly, and roads often bad. Maps and signposts left a lot to be desired. Staying in Portuguese towns was good though.
Hope to do this again next year. Probably Eurovelo 6 from Loire at Atlantic, to Vienna.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
bkkboy,
Thanks for your trip summary. Following your posts was great fun. Looking forward to reading the highlights if your next trip whenever/wherever it may be.
Stay well and Carpe diem.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.