• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camping mat necessary on the Camino Levante?

marlikla

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Portugues (2012); Finisterre & Muxía (2012); Camino de Levante (2013)
is it necessary to take a camping mat/therm-a-rest with you on the camino de levante? last yr i did the caminho portugues and i didn't bring one along, borrowed one for one night though from another pilgrim. as the albergue situation seems to be quite different on the levante i am not sure if i should take one with me. any advise?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola

There aren't many albergues at all on the Camino Levante until it joins with the Via de la Plata but in the ones which are there, there are beds so a mat is not necessary. All other lodging is in hostals or hotels which of course have beds.

The Via de la Plata is quite well served by albergues but they can be busy depending on when you are going. It would be a long way from Valencia to carry a mat just in case is was needed several hundred kms further along the route!

Buen Camino

John

Thanks for your answer, John! And sorry that it took me so long to reply but i somehow assumed that I would get an email if someone replies :)
Glad to save a few hundred grams, we will hit the road in 2 weeks :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i somehow assumed that I would get an email if someone replies
That happens only if you click the box below that says "Subscribe topic." It begins with a check mark in it, quite strangely, but if you click it, you will be notified when there is a post in this Forum thread.

that is indeed confusing... i checked/un-checked the box know, let's see if it works!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, marlikla,

I plan to walk the Levante starting in Valencia on May 3 or 4. So it'd be great to hear your impressions and any advice or tips you would have for those very few of us who will be walking a few weeks behind you!

Buen camino, Laurie

@ Ivar: I usually check my spa folder regularly, didn't see a message though. Even now that I ticked the box I did not receive a notice...

@ Laurie: due to time restrictions we will only do a small part on this holidays (starting in Valencia) but I am happy to share my experiences with you.

marlikla said:
@ Ivar: I usually check my spa folder regularly, didn't see a message though. Even now that I ticked the box I did not receive a notice...
Ok, if you would like to investigate more you can have a look at your "subscriptions" (the messages you will recive e-mails from if there are any more comments made) here:
ucp.php?i=main&mode=subscribed
...and you can see the e-mail settings here:
ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=post

The default is "Yes", but you might have changed it earlier.

If all this looks ok, then I am not sure what might be the problem. I have not heard from anyone else that have problems with this... ahh, one last thing.. make sure that your e-mail address is correct:
ucp.php?i=profile&mode=reg_details

Buen Camino!
Ivar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ivar - it worked now! Found your last mail in my spam folder today. thanks for your help!

Thanks everyone. I had bought one and have repacked to try to fit it in. Now I see I don't have to worry about it. Buen Camino. Brendan

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back