• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping mat - to have or have not?

Vivienne17

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017
Hi
With just two weeks before I start walking _ I have a few days at home making last minute adjustments to my kit, and watching as many Camino DVDs as I can!
With a keen eye on the pilgrims to see what they have on their back in terms of bags I notice that quite a few carry camping or sleeping mats.
Can anyone comment on whether this is essential please?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Funny, I've seen them in videos too but haven't seen one in real life yet...! No, def not essential or even needed at all. If you're interested, lots of people post their packing lists for the forum to give input on. Not necessary however the combined experience may lead to less weight/stress on the ankles, knees, hips, spine, shoulders and probably a few other parts too :D
Have a great Camino experience!!

No need for a sleeping mat at all. Albergues have real mattresses, though perhaps lumpy or concave, and if they are out of beds, they are not supposed to let you say due to fire restrictions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
HiWith a keen eye on the pilgrims to see what they have on their back in terms of bags I notice that quite a few carry camping or sleeping mats.
Can anyone comment on whether this is essential please?
Not essential. However, in Villamayor, many times a pilgrim was glad of one when all our beds were full and he/she slept in the village frontón. I have used mine a few times. But the lack of one didn't keep me awake on granite, hence my saying it isn't essential.

A half - or even a third - makes a very nice and comfortable "sit-upon" (old Girl Scout term, sorry).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I asked a guy once why he was carrying a roll-up sleeping pad, and he replied that he might need it one night. Two weeks later I bumped into him again, still carrying the mat, and I asked him if he’d used it yet. He said “no”, but he’ll keep carrying it “just in case” :D.
Jill

I've carried and used one on two caminos - in 2003 which was a Holy Year when we knew we would be walking into SDC in time for the Feast Day, basically with half of Spain. We slept quite a few times in sports halls and were grateful for the mats. The second time I carried one was on the Norte, when we planned to camp. I did use it a bit, but would not bother camping again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I asked a guy once why he was carrying a roll-up sleeping pad, and he replied that he might need it one night. Two weeks later I bumped into him again, still carrying the mat, and I asked him if he’d used it yet. He said “no”, but he’ll keep carrying it “just in case” :D.
Since I retired three years ago, I have only had to use my tent and sleeping bag four nights. The first two were without the pad. I can sleep on anything, but the pad is worth carrying in my opinion.

I was in Santiago last weekend (as a tourist), and I was surprised by how many pilgrims were carrying roll mats, having hardly seen anyone use one when walking previously. However, it was EXTREMELY busy, felt like a great river of pilgrims was rolling down that last street to the cathedral, so I would not have been surprised if accommodation between Sarria and Santiago was at an absolute premium.

In 2 weeks time, most people will be back at work in Spain. It's the turn of the foreign pilgrims to walk and there are not so many of them.

When I walked the Camino frances in Sept 2014, I did meet a couple of people who had slept on the floor due to there being no beds, but in both cases, they had started late and walked until 5, expecting there to be a bed. They soon learnt that they either had to get started earlier or make a reservation. In the 4 times that I have walked, I have never failed to get a bed.

A butt mat is helpful when taking a break while walking. Mine weighs 6oz and keeps me dry while sitting on wet stuff and protection from sitting on rocks or thorns.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I met a few pilgrims who used a sleeping mat for a comfortable siesta after lunch. And one for yoga purposes.

If you are walking the Camino Frances then a few days into the walk you will come across an albergue in Puenta La Reina called Los Padres Reparadores - they have hundreds of mats in a huge wardrobe - should you then feel the need , offer a donation for one - discard it at another albergue once it has served its function.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.