• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping on Camino del norte and booking hostels

GuernseySally

Time of past OR future Camino
Planing to walk el Camino del norte in 2015
Hi All

I'm planning on walking the northern route in June/July this year and have a couple of questions. I'm trying to decide whether to bring a lightweight small tent (1.2kg) and would like to know how much camping is available and whether the extra weight is worth the trade off for a little bit of sleeping privacy :). As much as possible I would like to stay on the route and with other camino walkers, so am interested to know if it's possible to camp at the albergues and use the facilities. It's not about cost, I'm happy to pay the same for a hostel bed, more about having a bit of personal space.

My second question, if I do bring a tent, I would mix camping with staying in albergues, is it necessary to book a bed in the albergues in advance in June/July. Ideally I would like to be spontaneous and decide on daily basis where and when to stop, but not sure if it's possible to do it like this or is it necessary to book a bed in advance.

It's my first camino and looking forward to it with a mix of excitement, anticipation and little apprehension. I plan to walk between 20-25 km's daily which looks possible from the guide book, possibly I will walk more but for me it will be more about being in the slow lane and enjoying the scenery and nature and exploring the villages and towns than long walking days.

Thanks and looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims on the way.

Sally

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Camping is doable. I have met people who used tents on the French sections, e.g from Le Puy, shipped the tent home and used the alberques while in Spain. I don't believe most alberques would have space to accommodate tents as 2/3 of Norte is a busy tourist towns. You have to find some remote locations to setup camp. Facilities may not be nearby. This site supposed to help find camping sites in Spain:
http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/spain/

Here are some past threads on the subject from this forum:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camping-along-the-way.14912/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camping-along-the-camino-del-norte.18835/

In late June, i was booking beds 1-2 days in advance. SO, booking is advisable in July/Aug as it is the busiest time. Although alberques might get full there are plenty of hotels around. The cicerone guidebook provides uptodate accommodation info.

I walked 20-25km/day staying mainly in private alberques/hostels. You can see my itinerary here. Again tent is not necessary to do 20-25km day distances. You can bus/train certain sections also if you have to reach a certain town for sleeping.

Last edited:
Hi Sally yes it is possible to camp and use albergue facilities, I have done that on the Norte in 2010. If they have a garden or green area around them, check with the hospitalero and you can probably pitch up as well as using the showers.

If it is June/ July then you should be OK with turning up and finding a bed, there might be ocassions when they are full. It is usually only private albergues that all allow you to book ahead, the others ( and some private) are on first come first served basis.

Good Luck, you will probably attract similar people with a go slow and this is a good place to stop attitude and they can help you get into the swing of things and help find places to camp.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Sally yes it is possible to camp and use albergue facilities, I have done that on the Norte in 2010. If they have a garden or green area around them, check with the hospitalero and you can probably pitch up as well as using the showers.

If it is June/ July then you should be OK with turning up and finding a bed, there might be ocassions when they are full. It is usually only private albergues that all allow you to book ahead, the others ( and some private) are on first come first served basis.

Good Luck, you will probably attract similar people with a go slow and this is a good place to stop attitude and they can help you get into the swing of things and help find places to camp.

Buen Camino

Great, many thanks Mike, exactly what I wanted to hear, the tent is coming. Also good news about finding a bed without booking, and I'll probably be staying in the first come first served basis albergues anyway so will see how it all plays out when I'm walking and reconsider about booking ahead if necessary.

Now just got to learn some Spanish!

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Sally

Buen Camino
Camping is doable. I have met people who used tents on the French sections, e.g from Le Puy, shipped the tent home and used the alberques while in Spain. I don't believe most alberques would have space to accommodate tents as 2/3 of Norte is a busy tourist towns. You have to find some remote locations to setup camp. Facilities may not be nearby. This site supposed to help find camping sites in Spain:
http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/spain/

Here are some past threads on the subject from this forum:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camping-along-the-way.14912/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camping-along-the-camino-del-norte.18835/

In late June, i was booking beds 1-2 days in advance. SO, booking is advisable in July/Aug as it is the busiest time. Although alberques might get full there are plenty of hotels around. The cicerone guidebook provides uptodate accommodation info.

I walked 20-25km/day staying mainly in private alberques/hostels. You can see my itinerary here. Again tent is not necessary to do 20-25km day distances. You can bus/train certain sections also if you have to reach a certain town for sleeping.

Many thanks Rajy, the links you posted about camping are really useful. I have the latest Cicerone guidebook which is great for accommodation info. Will see how many other pilgrims are walking and make a decision at the time if I need to book but good to have your advice.

Just over 2 months to go! Can't wait to start walking.

Thanks again.
Sally

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Sally, may see you camping along the way. I will be starting from Irun June 4 and will also be camping and staying in Pensions. Leaving June 1. My friend camped last year at this time along the Norte and had no problems camping. He asked farmers for permission to stay on their property, plus, he stayed in the back yards of several alberques. He has a great blog, http://www.fathertomonthecamino.com/2014/03/13/thank-you-for-your-prayers-and-comments/

Hi Sally, may see you camping along the way. I will be starting from Irun June 4 and will also be camping and staying in Pensions. Leaving June 1. My friend camped last year at this time along the Norte and had no problems camping. He asked farmers for permission to stay on their property, plus, he stayed in the back yards of several alberques. He has a great blog, http://www.fathertomonthecamino.com/2014/03/13/thank-you-for-your-prayers-and-comments/

Hi Father Scott, thanks for the post and happy to hear that your friend had no problems camping on the Norte last year, great to have this feedback about camping before I start the Camino I will have a look at his blog, thanks for the link. I still need one thing to slot into place before I have a definite start date, but still hoping it will be at the start of June so hopefully I will see you along the way.
Thanks again, much appreciated. Hope the journey from Alaska goes well and buen Camino.

Hi Sally

We're also planning to camp this camino in the world's smallest 2-man tent, starting mid-August. Michelin produce maps of various regions the route passes through with camping clearly marked which can be used with CSJ guides. Buen Camino to fellow campers and peregrinos!

Thérèse

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi All

I'm planning on walking the northern route in June/July this year and have a couple of questions. I'm trying to decide whether to bring a lightweight small tent (1.2kg) and would like to know how much camping is available and whether the extra weight is worth the trade off for a little bit of sleeping privacy :). As much as possible I would like to stay on the route and with other camino walkers, so am interested to know if it's possible to camp at the albergues and use the facilities. It's not about cost, I'm happy to pay the same for a hostel bed, more about having a bit of personal space.

My second question, if I do bring a tent, I would mix camping with staying in albergues, is it necessary to book a bed in the albergues in advance in June/July. Ideally I would like to be spontaneous and decide on daily basis where and when to stop, but not sure if it's possible to do it like this or is it necessary to book a bed in advance.

It's my first camino and looking forward to it with a mix of excitement, anticipation and little apprehension. I plan to walk between 20-25 km's daily which looks possible from the guide book, possibly I will walk more but for me it will be more about being in the slow lane and enjoying the scenery and nature and exploring the villages and towns than long walking days.

Sally
Hey Sally :)

Thank you for posting this. I was debating camping the route. I'm starting the camino at Bilbao to Santiago in September and after reading this I'm certainly going to camp in now. I feel the same as yourself, I really treasure my privacy. My concern was that as a woman doing the walk alone I was concerned about safety. But I've come to the realisation that if that's my concern then what's the point in doing the walk. I want to feel 100% connected to the experience and I feel camping it will only enhance that.

Please let me know how you get on. I can't wait to hear of your experiences. Good luck and see you on the other side.

Love and hugs my friend,

Kym xx

Hi All

Sally
I am also contemplating bringing a tent on the Norte-- Just wonder how far out of the way I would have to go to find a place to camp!

Interesting thread, because I reckon that say two years ago the advice here (from people who've walked the norte) would have been overwhelmingly - don't bother taking a tent.
I'd still say that for the vast majority of people it's not worth it - it's extra weight to haul around and the albergues are fun and a big part of camino life...
However - there are about 5% of pilgrims who don't adhere to the typical routine of:
walking 20-30km a day, arrive early or mid-afternoon, get an albergue place, wash, relax, eat, sleep, (go back jack) and do it again (and again)
These wayfaring folk seem to be able to live more fluidly, meander around in the day and walk into the evening or night - or whatever suits them. If you're that kind of person then a very light tent might well be handy. But check that it really is light when you've added all the trimmings, like sleep mats etc.
I hope you all post again during or after your caminos and let us know what happened - maybe things are changing?

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.