• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping on RDLP/ VDLP

Cjones

Time of past OR future Camino
Spain
Can anyone suggest websites or similar to find campsites along the RDLP Sevilla to Gijon?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Martyduc, Iā€™m looking for campsites along the route and finding very few so far. Just looking for some ideas as to where best to search

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Do you mean The Via de la Plata,,and if so goes nowhere near Gijon, ,,just trying to make sense so you can get the right advice

Yes the Via de la Plata and the route suggested for cyclists on the website is staged from Sevilla to Gijon, hope that clarifies things.

Yes the Via de la Plata and the route suggested for cyclists on the website is staged from Sevilla to Gijon, hope that clarifies things.
OK,, that helps,, walking it only goes to Astorga,,, good luck

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are a bit confused here because Via de la Plata ends in Astorga (on Camino Frances) but Gijon is on Camino del Norte by the Atlantic ocean. So basically you would have to connect Frances with Norte which would be the easiest by using Camino del Salvador from Leon past Oviedo and to Gijon.

Maybe you can post link to the website you mentioned and things would clarifies?

Via de la Plata is the ancient way from Hispalis (Sevilla) to Gijon. That way was used time ago and its used nowadays by pilgrims in the pilgrimage to Santiago. This means that the Camino de Santiago in the Via de la Plata starts at Seville, and arrives at Astorga, where it joins the French Way. But if you keep walking to the North, in the Via de la Plata youĀ“ll arrive to La Pola de Gordon, and join The Camino de San Salvador, ( Leon- Oviedo) and arriving to Oviedo, turn to de West at The Camino Primitivo, to Santiago de Compostela. If choose to keep walking in the VDLP youĀ“ll arrive to Gijon were he VDLP finish. Them you can turn West in the Camino del Norte or Coastal Route, to SdC.

When I walked the San Salvador a few years back there was a man walking the Ruta De la Plata to Gijon, he started in Astorga and must have backtracked a bit of the CF and then joined the Salvador at Pajares where the routes merged for a couple of days, he left it at Mieres and followed that route to wherever it led him next. In answer to the question is it possible to camp on the RDLP, probably. Wild camping is frowned upon and is illegal, but I have camped on the Norte, and it seemed possible to get the permission for some places when I asked.

+ There is a website for the entire route rather than the Camino https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw2RQl0GVBPMJO4A4Mucu08g

Ooops I need to read the previous postings more closely stops me double posting.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting @PingĆ¼igrino & @Isca-camigo ! Thank you.

If you combine Plata with Augusta (Cadiz - Seville) for example, although there are more ways from Mediterranean Sea to Seville, that makes another coast to coast route.

You always have the option KI of going to Oviedo, a pilgrimage place in itself and then heading East to Covadonga and Santo Toribio. Someone a few years back did a detailed blog of walking from Oviedo to Covadonga via a pilgrim route, it looked kick a**, at the end of some days they would get a taxi to a nearby town to find accommodation or alternatively I saw a short video of two men who seemed to just put their tent up at the end of the day on this route, it helped that they always seemed to be nowhere near villages or towns but just deep in the wilds.

Via de la Plata is the ancient way from Hispalis (Sevilla) to Gijon. That way was used time ago and its used nowadays by pilgrims in the pilgrimage to Santiago. This means that the Camino de Santiago in the Via de la Plata starts at Seville, and arrives at Astorga, where it joins the French Way. But if you keep walking to the North, in the Via de la Plata youĀ“ll arrive to La Pola de Gordon, and join The Camino de San Salvador, ( Leon- Oviedo) and arriving to Oviedo, turn to de West at The Camino Primitivo, to Santiago de Compostela. If choose to keep walking in the VDLP youĀ“ll arrive to Gijon were he VDLP finish. Them you can turn West in the Camino del Norte or Coastal Route, to SdC.

Great info,, , thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't think there are many campsites along VDLP which is why you're struggling to find them. I'll dig out my Spanish cycling guide (Seville to Gijon :) ) at the weekend and see if that has any listed but I don't remember seeing many. Wild camping is pretty easy along this route, there's quite a lot of dead space around road junctions/laybys where I saw people camping - sure people were camping more stealthily in some of the lovely fields and olive groves too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
By all means try to ask a farmer if you can camp on his land. In dry season that might be a hard task to get permission because of the wild fires. But even if you stealth camp do not leave anything behind. Not a cigarette but, not a candy wrap, nothing. It's not just about environment, it's act of respect also.

And Buen Camino :)

Not many campsites on the VDLP, but I did successfully freecamp a lot there with no problems at all. I even freecamped in Caparra - the warden there locked me in for the night!

Whilst walking the San Salvador, just as you enter Mieres at the bridge there is a sign saying you are on the VDLP which confused me for a while!

Davey

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.