• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camping on the Arles route

linde

Time of past OR future Camino
camino portugues
Dear pilgrims,
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the following. I want to walk the Arles route from Montpellier. Will start in July 2018.
As I am on a tight budget, my idea was to camp. Will I find camping spots in the way? How much does one pay for a night in a gite, generally?

Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't speak to the specifics on the Arles route (suggest you consult the Arles Miam Miam Dodo) but on the Le Puy route, which surely must have similar pricing, a gite with demipension runs 35-40 Euro.

The 'Miam Miam Dodo guide book will provide what you need to know, but it on Amazon.
Ultreïa

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As to camping, you have two options, one is to use the local campgrounds. There are some on the route but not one for every night. That brings you to wild camping. It is very doable. Just ask, often local land owners are quite amenable to this. But you need to be able to communicate in French for this. You can also ask at the church and local police stations along the way.

If things haven't changed too much since 2005, then the pilgrim hostels on that route are usually no more expensive than the camp sites there, and often less -- though there are actually some camp sites that have no price for just putting down a sleeping bag, but only for pitching a tent or parking your caravan.

There are also a few donativo hostels.

But really in the summer, it's frankly pretty easy to find a good, dry, isolated spot in the woods away from the road or the pathway and just sleep there, and then ask at campsites if they'll let you use their showers (warning, some of them will refuse). Finding cold water taps to handwash your clothes day-to-day shouldn't be too hard BTW.

Dear pilgrims,
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the following. I want to walk the Arles route from Montpellier. Will start in July 2018.
As I am on a tight budget, my idea was to camp. Will I find camping spots in the way? How much does one pay for a night in a gite, generally?

Thank you!
Very good question, I have the same in mind.
Instead of Miam Miam Dodo (Which is really good, but I find it ridiculous, that they split it into two books for each way in the last couple of years, so it became too expensive, at least for me) I bought Rother Wanderführer in German. They worked very well on other routes, small and practical. There seems to be a lot of accomodation options in it for as much as 10-15Euros.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning Pilgrims! In June I will leave Italy to try to get to Santiago. Around August I will be walking the part of the camino in France, and as I read through the various threads, I had a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back