• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping on the Cami Sant Juame

Marti93

Cosmic Gypsy
Time of past OR future Camino
Planning camino from Barcelona (June 2015)
Bon dia!

I've enjoyed reading the forums so far.

I'm planning on walking my first camino from Barcelona, or Montserrat at least, starting the beginning of June.

I understand this section is a road less travelled, with fewer albergues. Would it be an idea to bring a small tent?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Others who have done this recently will have more to say, but generally wild or unofficial camping has challenges in Spain. Farmers tend to discourage this and occasionally you may need to make it clear that you are not Roma, as there is some prejudice against them, and while there are some campgrounds on this route (I remember ones in Sanguesa and Loarre) they are infrequent. While there are fewer albergues per km than on the Francese, most of the towns along this route have albergues and those which don't (such as La Panadella) have very inexpensive pension or fonda accommodation (20-30 euro) as this is not a tourist area and prices are quite reasonable. Given the weight of camping equipment against the occasions you'll have to use it, I am not sure that I would take a tent.

Others who have done this recently will have more to say, but generally wild or unofficial camping has challenges in Spain. Farmers tend to discourage this and occasionally you may need to make it clear that you are not Roma, as there is some prejudice against them, and while there are some campgrounds on this route (I remember ones in Sanguesa and Loarre) they are infrequent. While there are fewer albergues per km than on the Francese, most of the towns along this route have albergues and those which don't (such as La Panadella) have very inexpensive pension or fonda accommodation (20-30 euro) as this is not a tourist area and prices are quite reasonable. Given the weight of camping equipment against the occasions you'll have to use it, I am not sure that I would take a tent.
Thanks for the reply!

I should mention I'm thinking of the northern route via Huesca as it seems more rural and scenic...

I do like the idea of having the freedom to camp, and I'm trying to keep my budget down. I could go for a bivibag type thing, less than a kilo all in.

I've also read that on the Frances (which I'll be joining), it can be hard to get a spot in the albergues in the summer. At the same time I understand the need to carry as little as possible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The route via Huesca is extraordinary and takes you over the Sierra de Loarre and (eventually) to San Juan de la Pena and the Camino Aragones-- it is one of the hidden jewels of the Caminos and, although it's a stretch which requires a lot of self-reliance, it's worth the trouble. I was told by Spanish pilgrims that this is part of the country where free campers are looked upon askance, on account of memories of uprooted veterans of the Civil War wandering about the countryside of Aragon, causing trouble. While you would be more likely to get away with it than in many other parts of Spain, I would suggest that you steer away from the camping approach--- it is, in the end, your call. This is perhaps the most economical of the Caminos I have travelled and, as I noted, most pueblos have an albergue.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1 - To Montserrat we go ...... 4 yrs since the last Camino, older, less brain cells, easily confused usually followed by a touch of frustration and sometimes panic :) . I left Coventry, UK at...
Hiya, currently on the Camino and I’m in need of some advice on how to split up the days from Huesca until I reach the Camino Aragonés by Santa Cilia. I have a rough plan but the next few days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back