• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping on the Camino Catalano in April?

theRAGEhero

Time of past OR future Camino
maybe soon
Hi all, I'm Alessandro and I'm writing from Italy. I have read many posts but they were old so I decided to open a new thread.

I have a ticket to Barcelona for the 17th of April and I was thinking to do with a friend my first Camino: the Camino Catalano.

We don't have a lot of days so we are thinking to do from Montserrat to Zaragoza and then go back to Barcelona.

I have a very small tent and I already camped in Italy (where is not really legal) but I was very stealthy and respectful.

I was wondering to do the same also this time and this for a couple of reasons.

We have a low budget
All the times that I went to a hostel I didn't sleep
I love the freedom of camping

We were thinking to sleep in hostels somewhere to have a nice shower etc.

What do you think? Is it possible to do?

Thank you a lot
Alessandro

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Alessandro,
While I can't really say much about camping options, you will find reasonably priced albergues along the first section of your chosen Camino route. If you look at a posting called Report of Cami Catalan May to June 2018 (Parts 1 and 2) I wrote last year in this forum, you will get an idea of the locations and costs. There are not many options for pilgrim accommodations, but they are there. In some cases it is necessary to call at least the day before to reserve a spot. Up-to-date information can be found here: http://amicsdelspelegrins.org/. We will once again be heading out along this route, starting from Barcelona on Monday 25 March. Wishing you a great trip.

Hi all, I'm Alessandro and I'm writing from Italy. I have read many posts but they were old so I decided to open a new thread.

I have a ticket to Barcelona for the 17th of April and I was thinking to do with a friend my first Camino: the Camino Catalano.

We don't have a lot of days so we are thinking to do from Montserrat to Zaragoza and then go back to Barcelona.

I have a very small tent and I already camped in Italy (where is not really legal) but I was very stealthy and respectful.

I was wondering to do the same also this time and this for a couple of reasons.

We have a low budget
All the times that I went to a hostel I didn't sleep
I love the freedom of camping

We were thinking to sleep in hostels somewhere to have a nice shower etc.

What do you think? Is it possible to do?

Thank you a lot
Alessandro

Of course it can be done. People sleep in tents everywhere, even and especially in cities nowadays unfortunately.
There are overviews of official free camping areas, google area de acampada libre Catalá* and area de acampada libre Aragones.
You can also look for regular campings.
I read a blog by someone who mainly slept in deserted buildings, barns and sheds. Very romantic but not for me.

When all else fails ... be respectutful, be discrete and make sure that no one ever knows that you are / were there. Do take an occasional shower if you can.

shower-smiley.gif

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Alessandro,
While I can't really say much about camping options, you will find reasonably priced albergues along the first section of your chosen Camino route. If you look at a posting called Report of Cami Catalan May to June 2018 (Parts 1 and 2) I wrote last year in this forum, you will get an idea of the locations and costs. There are not many options for pilgrim accommodations, but they are there. In some cases it is necessary to call at least the day before to reserve a spot. Up-to-date information can be found here: http://amicsdelspelegrins.org/. We will once again be heading out along this route, starting from Barcelona on Monday 25 March. Wishing you a great trip.

Thank you for your message. I have read your thread and I have a question about the albergues.

I have read that in the France Camino the albergues have very big rooms, what about the ones in the Catalan Camino? Where you sleeping with other pilgrims or there wasn't anyone?

Of course it can be done. People sleep in tents everywhere, even and especially in cities nowadays unfortunately.
There are overviews of official free camping areas, google area de acampada libre Catalá* and area de acampada libre Aragones.
You can also look for regular campings.
I read a blog by someone who mainly slept in deserted buildings, barns and sheds. Very romantic but not for me.

When all else fails ... be respectutful, be discrete and make sure that no one ever knows that you are / were there. Do take an occasional shower if you can.

shower-smiley.gif

Thank you. I'm gonna see if it is allowed in Catalunya and Aragòn.

I really hope to take a lot of showers!

Please look at this:

This one was very interesting, thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We were almost always alone in the albergues. Generally, a little used route, but you may, of course, run into other walkers depending upon when you go. We only saw one other pilgrim along the Catalan Camino. It was not until we finished this part of our journey that we started to see other pilgrims (certainly this was the case once we joined the Frances).

We were almost always alone in the albergues. Generally, a little used route, but you may, of course, run into other walkers depending upon when you go. We only saw one other pilgrim along the Catalan Camino. It was not until we finished this part of our journey that we started to see other pilgrims (certainly this was the case once we joined the Frances).

Thank you Lindam.

We finally decided to not bring a tent and to stay in the albergues.

I have a question. Since we don't have a goal to reach and we just want to walk and admire the nature, does for around ten days, does it make sense to start the Camino from Barcelona or is better to use the public transportation for the first part?

I'm asking this because my mom was reading that the first days are pretty monotonous so I was wondering which is the best part of the Camino Catalano?

Thank you for your precious help

Starting in Barcelona is an option. The first 9/10 km to Sant Cugat are lovely and well marked. The next stretch, on the first day, leaving Sant Cugat is at times poorly marked. The second day to Montserrat is spectacular but quite physically challenging given the gain in altitude. When planning your itinerary, do be sure to take note of where the albergues are located as they are limited (as are other types of accommodations). Enjoy your Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Lindam.

We finally decided to not bring a tent and to stay in the albergues.

I have a question. Since we don't have a goal to reach and we just want to walk and admire the nature, does for around ten days, does it make sense to start the Camino from Barcelona or is better to use the public transportation for the first part?

I'm asking this because my mom was reading that the first days are pretty monotonous so I was wondering which is the best part of the Camino Catalano?

Thank you for your precious help
I'm flying in to girona on 16th late, and then following llanca to Montserrat and have until 26th roughly.. that is roughly 10 days. Accommodation though will be more pricey, but gps route from Laurie (thread on Cami San Jaime) and well recommended.

Have a wonderful time. I am hoping that you will share some details about your journey as it could be of interest as a future Camino for me!

The Track should be mainly in the GPS apps (which often use OSM as the map source).
In OSMAnd you need to activate the hiking view, to see the trails.
So far yellow arrows + OSM maps + some paper about the places to sleep worked very well. Often you can also find the location of the albergues on the map (at least after Montserrat I edited some).

I've met 4 pilgrims + 2 horses on my second part of CCat (June, several years ago). I had a tent with me, but I never used it. Luckily the horses not only had their riders but also an acompanying car, which soon carried the tent as well ;).

I had no problems following the arrows from L´Hospitalet (Metro Sta. Eulalia) or just walk straight from BCN Sants. The association in L'H was available every day, since its located in a bar near the metro. You can give it a try: https://www.peregrinoslh.com. Starting point is the church of Sta. Eulalia. A shortcut with public transport is tram "Bon Viatxe".
I somehow missed the camino arrows in the upper part of Barcelona starting from the cathedral in Barri Gotic, others told me it's no problem to find the way. Don't know.

If you can't stand the lonelyness anymore take a bus to Huesca or even Jaca (change in Huesca). I found it easier to pass San Juan from the Huesca path, but the so called Aragonés way is the only chance for other pilgrims in that area. The huge amount of pilgrims on the french way is still a shock when you reach it, even in winter time.

PS: It's either Camino Catalan or Camí Català. Santiago will be Sant Jaume in catalan language.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
thank you all for your contributions. I have a question about blankets, do we have to bring just a liner or also a sleeping bag?

Thank you

I would recommend a sleeping bag as at times you will be in high elevation areas where it can be cooler.

Take a real sleeping bag at least till the end of May. During the years I've had heat waves in May as well as snow in the Pyrenees. You'll never know and not all places do provide blankets, not even for extra money.

In Summer I would believe the 2-weeks weather forecast and decide what to bring.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back