• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping on the camino Portugues

Clare de Freitas

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuges (Sept/Oct 2016)
My husband and I are planning to walk the Camino Portugues from Coimbre to Santiago starting mid-September. My husband is an experienced backpacker and would like to bring a small tent so we can wild camp if we do not make it to the next town to find accommodation. Has anyone had experienced of camping on this route? Is it easy to find suitable places to camp? Would there be any problems with doing this? Clare de Freitas, Devon, England

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
http://www.portugal.net/portugal-guide/camping-portugal.html
"For those hoping to wild camp, the official position of the Portuguese government is something of a grey area. While it’s generally accepted that authorities will turn a blind eye, especially during the low season, and that camping in rural areas is typically without risk, wild camping is actually forbidden throughout the country without the proper permits or permission from all relevant land owners. If you’re unsure about whether to risk some hefty fines, check with local authorities about what proper documentation is needed to allow you to pitch up and stay."

Use the Albergues, save yourselves some weight and have a Bom Cahminho

Getting a fine for camping in Portugal is very unlikely.
In Galicia, the Guardia Civil is a bit more present and might wake you up at night.

Overall there is a lack of good and calm spots. There are some beaches north of OPO I would camp at and then maybe some bits of forests in Galicia.
Overall a quite densely populated area though and most of the nature is used for agricultural purposes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OSame question regarding the Camino Francis... I plan on sleeping alone under the stars when able. Is this welcomed, doable, legal, safe?
Thank you,
Shawna

Last edited:
Apart from the possible legal issues, the main problem with camping or sleeping under the stars is that you are really never 'in the wild', but near a town, farm or residential area. So it may mot be so much a question of whether I can but rather, who I may be inadvertently bothering as camping tends to have an impact (even if small) on the surroundings. Likewise, can you imagine if instead of just a handful of pilgrims deciding to camp there were dozens, or hundreds?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
OSame question regarding the Camino Francis... I plan on sleeping alone under the stars when able. Is this welcomed, doable, legal, safe?
Thank you,
Shawna
There are every year more signs on the CF, put up by landowners mostly, that state 'No Camping', especially in Galicia. So welcomed - I don't think so.
Doable - Yes, but not advisable imo.
Legal - Again it varies but as a rule of thumb you need permission of the landowner.
Safe - That is a complicated topic. A woman alone that wants to 'sleep alone under the stars' does that safest if nobody knows where she sleeps, but that means you wouldn't ask for permission. Also the CF isn't exactly a wilderness walk more a hike through agricultural/(sub)urban land, so there are plenty of people around that live near/on the way plus thousands of other pilgrims. Most of them very kind people, but all of them?
Buen Camino, SY

When walking the Frances and the Ingles this year, I saw many places to wild camp.
But, I do not put up a tent. NO fires. NO cooking. NO smoking.

I either use a bivysac or a hammock. Sometimes I use the Albergues,... for showers. Yep I pay for using the shower there. And sometimes leaving my bag there while I see the town. Eat. Get water etc. Other times I wing it on the way into a town. Then use A'berg for shower, etc.

Never camped, that is stealth camped, on private property. Never climb fence or enter pastures etc.

Set up right at sunset. Pack up right at sunrise. Never had a problem. Very discreet. I never tell anyone where I am sleeping. Best to be safe.

There are many web sites on stealth camping. What to do..how to do it... especially what NOT to do.

Sorry, but I am not into the snoring, rattling bags and talking at 4 am (the early to bed, early to rise group -- if you have walked a Camino you know them). Bed bugs and more. I prefer my own bivy or hammock.

At times, I feel safer among the four legged ones than the two legged ones.

Best to read the tips on web pages about stealth camping. Give it a try one or two nights. Takes a few times to get used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are every year more signs on the CF, put up by landowners mostly, that state 'No Camping', especially in Galicia. So welcomed - I don't think so.
Doable - Yes, but not advisable imo.
Legal - Again it varies but as a rule of thumb you need permission of the landowner.
Safe - That is a complicated topic. A woman alone that wants to 'sleep alone under the stars' does that safest if nobody knows where she sleeps, but that means you wouldn't ask for permission. Also the CF isn't exactly a wilderness walk more a hike through agricultural/(sub)urban land, so there are plenty of people around that live near/on the way plus thousands of other pilgrims. Most of them very kind people, but all of them?
Buen Camino, SY

Anyone needing to camp 40km before santiago on CF.
I have some land just as you leave Castaneda. Most of it is cleared with lovely trees and even a hammock in the garden. There is a sink and tap outside which is mostly turned on.
Sometimes I am there and sometimes not, as you walk down the hill you can see an opening at the end of the hedge, more than welcome to camp but no fires, its forbidden at this time of year. If I am there there is a toilet and shower inside and also the possibility to cook ( small donation for gas / water would be appreciated)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nothing wrong with a bit of wild camping. Just repect the land and leave no trace, camp from dusk to dawn. Not sure why so many people are against wild camping, its a shame to see on this forum.

Well, I think people are against wild camping because #1. it's private land so you are trespassing and taking advantage of the land owner, and #2. it is very, very rare to be able to LNT. With the number of pilgrims increasing each year the impact on the paths we travel intensifies. Why not respect the local laws and nature itself and stay in proper accommodation. If one wants to wild camp, a wilderness hike might be a better option than a Camino.

Plenty of public land to camp on. Some people prefer camping and nature but that doesn't mean they don't want to get to Santiago.

Live and let live.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back