• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping on the camino

S

Sojourner47

I know this has been aired before, but at the moment there seems to be increased interest.
What experience have youall had - eg, problems with finding somewhere to "wild/discrete" camp/dogs,animals/unfriendly locals etc.
I'm attracted to this mode of travel, not least due to the pressure on albergues/queues for a bed etc.(not just wild camping, but regular sites as well- any reviews?)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Because of my difficulties being around strong scents like perfume combined with the bedbug issue, I took a lightweight screen tent on my last Camino.

I had no problems finding places to pitch.
I didn't use it much, but the times I did I simply put it in the yard of the albergue and was able to use the shower and kitchen. (I also put some $$ in the box)

I saw many places a person could pitch a small tent.
If you have questions please PM me.

So sorry about your sensitivity Annie - a screen tent. Could you explain? Is it like a tent but just made of mosquito netting - so, safe from biting critters but no privacy? We don't have them in the uk.
Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
These advertise camping:
Espinal
Puente la Reina
Estella
Ayegui
Logroño
Navarrete
Nájera
Santo Domingo de la Calzada
Burgos
Castrojeriz
Carrión de los Condes
Sahagún
Mansilla de las Mulas
León
Villadangos del Páramo
Hospital de Órbigo
Villafranca del Bierzo
Palas de Rei
Monte del Gozo
Santiago de Compostela

Br. David said:
So sorry about your sensitivity Annie - a screen tent. Could you explain? Is it like a tent but just made of mosquito netting - so, safe from biting critters but no privacy? We don't have them in the uk.
Thanks

Not quite true Davey. You do have them in the UK.

In England perhaps you´re right, but in Scotland there are midgies. And you need netting.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Caminando said:
Br. David said:
Thanks

Not quite true Davey. You do have them in the UK.

In England perhaps you´re right, but in Scotland there are midgies. And you need netting.

True! - sorry, I meant the tent, not the biting things - we have those!!!

Ah - I remember now. This came up before a year or so back. A neat system. There are certain periods in Scotland (seems like all of the summer!) when one can be plagued by tiny black midges. They don't harm but are rather horrid. not quite sure what they eat when humans aren't around.

One of the reasons I like the UK is that we don't have that host of nasty animals going around killing humans that so many other countries seem to have! The only wild creature in England that can truly harm is the Adder. A quiet snake that occasionally gets startled enough to bite. We have about three people a year die from the bite (not the same people each year of course). In comparison, about twelve people are killed each year by farmed cows.

As for camping on the Camino - although I have got into great trouble on here for saying it before - I am quite for it, as long as one obeys the unwritten rules of care. So few will ever do it that I cannot see it becoming a problem. Better the hard ground than the bedbugs :wink:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Br. David said:
Ah - I remember now. This came up before a year or so back. A neat system. There are certain periods in Scotland (seems like all of the summer!) when one can be plagued by tiny black midges. They don't harm but are rather horrid. not quite sure what they eat when humans aren't around.

One of the reasons I like the UK is that we don't have that host of nasty animals going around killing humans that so many other countries seem to have! The only wild creature in England that can truly harm is the Adder. A quiet snake that occasionally gets startled enough to bite. We have about three people a year die from the bite (not the same people each year of course). In comparison, about twelve people are killed each year by farmed cows.

As for camping on the Camino - although I have got into great trouble on here for saying it before - I am quite for it, as long as one obeys the unwritten rules of care. So few will ever do it that I cannot see it becoming a problem. Better the hard ground than the bedbugs :wink:

Yes Dave we in Scotland and England have exterminated all the animals which could harm us, and many which cannot. The red deer of the Highlands and your parks however can sometimes give a problem, but hardly ever.

I agree with you about camping on the camino in the way you suggest. Incidentally you are right that if you express a view such as this, a few cannot accept a differing opinion and take it as a threat that someone has that other point of view. Keep on saying what you think...good comments on camping...ultreia...

I just finished a Camino from St Jean to Finisterra earlier this summer and remember looking to this forum for advice on camping before I left so I wanted to share my experience carrying a tent and trying to camp during our hike. I was also the leader of the group of Boy Scouts that was discussed briefly on this forum earlier in the summer so our group of hikers was 21 people. Here's a few details on our experiences out there.

Of our 37 nights on trail I stayed in my tent 31 times. I carried a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 and overall it performed very well. It was easy to set up, very light weight, kept out bugs, had a small footprint, and held up well to some of the strong storms that blasted us on our journey. We stayed at very few, if any, commercial campgrounds, and usually just stayed in gardens, public parks, and pastures along the way. We always started out by asking about some public land at the municipal albergue and if we couldn't find anything that way we would ask some people around town and were usually able to camp in a pasture near the edge of town. We also found that people were less receptive to camping in the eastern portion of the Camino but as we moved west where there were more pilgrims there were usually designated spots or grass where pilgrims could camp given that there was often an overflow.

I found that staying in tents didn't really affect our ability to socialize with fellow hikers along the way. We were able to hang out with whomever we liked during the afternoons and evenings at the local cafes and simply retired to our tents at night when they retired to their beds in the albergues.

We saw some hikers that had some bad experiences with bed bugs at albergues from time to time so it was nice to have the option to avoid that possibility all together.

Tents also gave us flexibility for when we went to bed and when we woke up. We could go to bed as early or late as we wanted and not have to worry about disturbing anyone or being disturbed. We could also wake up as early or late as we wanted without having to worry about other hikers schedules. Also, there was only one hiker in our group that snored, and I would just not set my tent up next to his.

We saw many hikers rushing through the day simply to make sure that they got one of the limited beds in the albergues and we also saw some hikers having to press on late in the day if they arrived in a small town and the only albergue was full and they weren't carrying tents. The tents gave us the flexibility to choose our target town, then spend a few minutes finding a piece of grass, and not have to worry about how crowded the albergue was.

Lastly, no one would want a group of 21 people descending on an albergue and taking the limited beds, so it was just as easy for us to set up in the nearby pasture, and leave the beds for the other hikers.

Overall, we really enjoyed our experience of camping on the Camino and I'd be glad to answer any questions for anyone else that is looking to camp along the way.

Buen Camino

Brian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well done, and my congratulations to your Troop/Crew. It isn't Philmont, eh??

Last year I travelled the Chemin de Breton from Mont St. Michel, followed by the GR655 through the Vendee and Vienne and then the Voie Littorale, hébergements were sparse on this route and a tent was an essential though I spent several nights in hébergements provided by local members of Associations de Frateities ou Confraternities de Saint Jacques. My tent has built mosquito netting though with last summer's temperature's of up to 35 C the nights were occasionally a little warm except by the sea. My tent only added a couple of kilos, but it is the added paraphernalia of cooking stove , mess tin etc. Though at 100kg I can afford a larger pack than most. I stayed in some lovely Camping Naturelle and the Refugios were a bit of a come down though the company was a pleasant change from the peace and solitude of the ' solitary pilgrim'.

Thanks for your post Brian! I'm assuming you're from Canada because you used the Big Agnes. Yes? I'm walking the Camino for the first time this May. I'm hoping to camp along the way and you cleared up a lot of my questions - particularly how often one can realistically set-up camp. I too have a Big Agnes (of the Seedhouse variety) and me thinks she and I will have a wonderful journey!

Monique

p.s. Brother David - I enjoy your threads on camping, I have found them most helpful. Thanks for presenting many sides of the pilgrimage prism :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A fundamental aspect of this subject seems to me to be the time of year one is walking as some are more prone to rain than others, and welcome though the descriptions provided so far are, no one has mentioned this explicitly. I've just finished reading 'The Call of the Camino' by Robert Mullen [recommended], who walked at the same time I intend to, which is late april through May, and he gives the impression that it rained a lot of the time. Is this true?

antelope said:
A fundamental aspect of this subject seems to me to be the time of year one is walking as some are more prone to rain than others, and welcome though the descriptions provided so far are, no one has mentioned this explicitly. I've just finished reading 'The Call of the Camino' by Robert Mullen [recommended], who walked at the same time I intend to, which is late april through May, and he gives the impression that it rained a lot of the time. Is this true?

I cycled the Camino last year from Logrono, but one month later than your intended walk (28th. May to 4th. June). I had heard a lot about the rain in Gallicia, and was certainly not looking forward to it. However, the following was my experience; I encountered heavy rain for just under two hours on one evening, near Olmillos de Sasamon which is about 30 miles west of Burgos. I stayed in the only hotel in Olmillos de Sasamon that night as they do not have an albergue or refugio. However the cost was still very reasonable. €30 including breakfast and a garage to lock my bike in.

That was the only rain that I encountered for the whole 8 days. Not even one drop in Gallicia! I then stayed in Santiago for a further 3 days, as I had reached there ahead of time and was waiting on my flight home to Ireland. Again, fantastic weather. I wish you well on your Camino. You will really enjoy it. Everybody should do it, at least once in their lifetime. (Even in the rain!)

Thanks for that. Trouble is, I'm so unfit, after years of relative inactivity and working at computers, that it's going to take me a long time to get from St Jean to Santiago, and so I'm going to meet every variety of weather I think. I'd like to sleep out sometimes...perhaps I'm just going to have to be selective as to when.

Don't worry to much about your fitness level. You will build up your fitness level along the way. By the time you reach Santiago, you will be fit for the Olympics!! Banish all your doubts, because we humans can do anything that we set out to do. Building up determination and self belief is just as important as building up fitness!
Compostela means something like "the field of stars" so I am sure that camping out under them will make your experience all the richer. I intend to cycle another of the Caminos (the Via de la Plata) from Seville, this year and hope to camp out for some of the time also.

See http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/mycamino for a journal and some photos of my Camino de Santiago Cycle 2011.

Jane and I carried a Hubba Hubba tent. I was also carrying a tiny amateur radio, so the tent offered opportunities to put up a wire into a tree and operate the radio. The tent worked splendidly and affords privacy and freedom of schedule that one doesn't have in the albergue. That said, we did stay in albergues often.

We camped in a few commercial camps and on albergue properties. Usually, there was no price difference from sleeping in the albergue, or camping on it's grounds, but there are inexpensive anyway.

As for weather, we walked for 41 days and only had a light shower for about twenty minutes near Santiago. We never did need our rain equipment. We did carry GoLite Chrome Dome umbrellas and they proved more useful in the meseta as shade while we walked. We did our Camino in Sept/Oct. 2011.
2011-09-12-Camino-resized-small.jpg

This photo was at Roncevalles. Enjoy your tent.

Dennis "K1" Blanchard

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Book Listing Camp Sites?

THANK you all for making my day. I'd heard there was no camping, but was pleased to hear I can bring my tent. I plan to bring a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. I like the idea of keeping my gear in my tent at night for only 6 ounces of additional carrying weight.
Question...... Is there a book with maps pointing out all the camp sites along the way???
THANKS in advance, John

Really, really useful strand. I'm planning the logistics for 2013 and this has been great. My sons (x2) and I (we are strapping mutants 6' 4-6") will cycle and use bivvi bags with the odd night in a hotel/refuge. No Like BUGS!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So, in the spirit of trying to minimise the cost of pilgrimage, I was wondering just how feasable it is to bivvy along the Francais so that we don't incur hostel/camping costs? Every penny counts as I am carrying the cost of two others with me.

Torrent (aka Dawid Crook)

Torrent,

I'm a thru-hiker and have done a number of long distance hikes here in the States ,one up to 2,650 miles. You can find tents now that weigh less than a bivy. You might as well be completely out of the rain, with your gear, instead of being stuffed into a Gore-tex, eVent, Pertex, etc., bivy sack.

Take a look at some of the following sites. You may find a tent the same weight as your bivy. Zpacks has the lightest cuben fiber tent at 8.3 ounces fully enclosed. Cuben fiber is a great product; 100% waterproof, but it doesn't breath. So it's great for tents, but not rain gear. I have the Lightheart cuben fiber solo awning tent.

zpacks.com
mountainlaureldesigns.com
gossamergear.com
hyperlitemountaingear.com
lightheartgear.com
tarptents.com
yamamountaingear.com

john

Cowpie said:
Torrent,

I'm a thru-hiker and have done a number of long distance hikes here in the States ,one up to 2,650 miles. You can find tents now that weigh less than a bivy. You might as well be completely out of the rain, with your gear, instead of being stuffed into a Gore-tex, eVent, Pertex, etc., bivy sack.

Take a look at some of the following sites. You may find a tent the same weight as your bivy. Zpacks has the lightest cuben fiber tent at 8.3 ounces fully enclosed. Cuben fiber is a great product; 100% waterproof, but it doesn't breath. So it's great for tents, but not rain gear. I have the Lightheart cuben fiber solo awning tent.

zpacks.com
mountainlaureldesigns.com
gossamergear.com
hyperlitemountaingear.com
lightheartgear.com
tarptents.com
yamamountaingear.com

john

Thanks for this, but I can't find this kit in the UK and its way too expensive and heavy/bulky for my panniers. My bivvi packs down/weights next to nothing.

Torrent

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No Problem Torrent,

I don't see any reason why you couldn't bivy the walk. Bivy's are nice in that you can hide in places where a tent just can't fit. I carry my bivy when always climbing one of our local peaks here in the Seattle area. I keep a large plastic fish bag for stuffing my backpack in...just in case it rains.

John

Cowpie said:
No Problem Torrent,

I don't see any reason why you couldn't bivy the walk. Bivy's are nice in that you can hide in places where a tent just can't fit. I carry my bivy when always climbing one of our local peaks here in the Seattle area. I keep a large plastic fish bag for stuffing my backpack in...just in case it rains.

John

The plan is to Bivvy as much as possible, especially on the Camino Frances bit, just to gain some solitude as much as anything, but cost is an issue. I think Camino Madrid should be relatively quiet, but sleeping out... well... you just can't beat Gods night sky for a ceiling!

Regards

Torrent 8)

Thank you for everyone's input.

I've just agreed to join my Uncle on his last leg of his journey from Le Puy. I'll be going from Santander, via bike and wanted to camp. Looking to go in May next year... I'm very excited to be doing the journey.

This has been a very helpful thread.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Br. David said:
Nice report Brian and it sounds like you had a great time too - I rest my case :wink:

Big Agnes Fly Creek? What a brilliant name for a tent!

Definitely bringing a light tent have a feeling things will be pretty busy along the way :arrow:

I will be hiking September-October this year. Is it ever difficult to find a bed in the albergues? Will I feel rushed to always leave early in order to have a bed? If I bring a tent I will probably just use it for emergencies, but clearly if it is unnecessary it's not worth the weight. But if there is constant stress to arrive by a particular hour it may be worth it... suggestions?

clearly if it is unnecessary it's not worth the weight
I do not think you will have a problem in September and October. Albergues begin to close at the end of October the crowds are so small.

Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been thinking on and off about bringing a tent. I have found some decently priced ones in Canada and the States. I will post links...ultra light weight...sometimes even the 2 man tent is light enough to bring along. All have some privacy and netting and built in flooring with the rain tarp kinda built right in. I think if there are places to camp it might mean a better nights rest for me too as I do have some sleeping issues. I like the fact that the kitchen facilities are available as well as showers...so this may be the turning point of my decision. I also like the idea that I can stop when I need to (I know one might need to ask land owners but I feel from reading that most are quite happy to accommodate)
Here are those links for tents available here in North America. I am SURE that these tents could be found in Europe or otherwise if they were looked for by name or even type.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ultralight+tent
There are several styles and sizes of ULTRA light...thats what you are looking for. Most of these have built in liners as I said and offer some privacy...some even have room for pack storage and are still very light. I think the lightest one I saw so far was 2 lbs.
I will keep looking and if I find anything different will post.

Here's to a night under the Milky way on the path of the Milky way!

If you do not have a tent, then I am guessing that you are not an experienced tent camper!:) If that is the case, the camino may be a very bad place to start your camping experience. Tents with built-in floors can be very porous. You may have a lot of rain (or none at all). Tents in the rain can be a very special type of pleasure/pain. Tired, hurting, dirty, cold, hot, hungry, and in a strange country may not be the best time to test your mettle in a tent. Save the money from the tent to stay in private accommodations a few times. You probably will be happier in them than you will be in a tent.

There are other threads on camping with information about availability and cost of campgrounds. Only a few albergues have places for tents, so you should expect to find other places for showers, laundry, and cooking. Commercial campgrounds cost as much as, or more, than a bed in an albergue.

Good luck!

€149,-
If you do not have a tent, then I am guessing that you are not an experienced tent camper!:) If that is the case, the camino may be a very bad place to start your camping experience. Tents with built-in floors can be very porous. You may have a lot of rain (or none at all). Tents in the rain can be a very special type of pleasure/pain. Tired, hurting, dirty, cold, hot, hungry, and in a strange country may not be the best time to test your mettle in a tent. Save the money from the tent to stay in private accommodations a few times. You probably will be happier in them than you will be in a tent.

There are other threads on camping with information about availability and cost of campgrounds. Only a few albergues have places for tents, so you should expect to find other places for showers, laundry, and cooking. Commercial campgrounds cost as much as, or more, than a bed in an albergue.

Good luck!
Experienced Camper here...just usually don't need a single person tent! And the thing is is that with how small some of these tents are...they could be sent on if not needed. I happen to be staying for a longer while after the fact so I am planning on bringing one anyway...just had not decided if I was going to camp along the Camino. One of the most appealing things about camping is the fresh air and quiet that it can offer. I am not a good sleeper at the best of times and find that its difficult to get to sleep with so many people around. I have stayed in Hostels many times and always find that while I enjoy it I do tend to under sleep often being the last one falling asleep and the first to wake. So for me this is a good choice at least some of the time. I am not in a rush for time lucky me so unlike some who have limited time and tight schedules I would like to be able to move at my own pace and if Im tired and in the middle of no where setting up a tent that takes 2 mins to set up is a great way to gain some privacy even if for just a couple hours. And I have had bed bugs in my appt once...got them from travelling...and it was hell on my body ...and very expensive to deal with once they were in my house. So if there are bed bugs no thanks ...I would rather deal with flies and mosquitos. Even spiders are better than bed bugs..lol and I hate spiders!

I think this is one of those decisions that each individual must make. Its like shoes vs boots or albergue vs hotels...carrying the bag vs sending it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
they could be sent on if not needed
Get some information on the open hours of the Spanish Correos! You will need to be at an office between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. weekdays in some towns. Even the big cities will have inconvenient hours for pilgrims. It sounds like you want to camp, so the weight of the tent will be justified. I initially had the impression that you were taking it "just in case."

I think initially I was taking it on the pilgrimage just in case but if I have it and its an option for me I think it would be worth the weight. I really do love camping! And like so many have said...if I find it easier to NOT camp or the weight is actually an issue (that is something I won't know until I am actually walking) there is always that option and of sending it and other items on. Oh and thank you for that information. I have been trying to find out about that what the options and costs of sending items along would be. I will have more luggage than the average pilgrim simply because of being in Europe so long afterwards. How does one find out about storage? There is the idea of sending things on each part of the journey but can one store something for a period of time say a month somewhere...Does the post office do that at all...Goodness its so much harder finding things out when you are in Canada even from the internet. And Im still learning spanish...lol...so that doesn't help.
Thanks in advance and if this question is in the wrong forum just let me know I will move it...

I have never experienced time going so quickly as I have while I have been planning my Camino. I suppose as it draws nearer its going to feel like each day is a year!

I know what you mean, Pattii, I'm trying to plan all this from California. It feels like the days are FLYING past!

I am going to be traveling in Europe after my Camino, too. There are services that hold suitcases for pilgrims in Santiago (for a fee, of course), you'll find them if you do a search. I just decided to fly in and out of the same city. I asked on these forums and got several recommendations for hotels there that will hold suitcases for pilgrims. Since my travel in Spain starts and ends in the same place, that makes the logistics a little simpler.

Last edited:
Shipping across borders is very expensive, so shipping from SJPdP to Santiago will cost a bit. If you ship just a few days ahead in Spain, the cost will be reasonable, but you will have to deal with waiting until a post office opens to ship, then waiting for a post office to open to collect the item. Post offices are closed Saturday and Sunday. A post office will hold a parcel for 15 days.

Another thread describes the storage capabilities in Santiago if you want to make a single shipment there. Again, it will be costly to ship from SJPdP, but less costly to carry it to Pamplona and ship from there.

You are finding the difficulties in making the Camino part of a larger European vacation!:) Planning for just the pilgrimage takes work; planning for more takes a lot of work.

Omg yes!..The best part is that I'm in no rush there and I take that as a huge blessing! It leaves so many of options. I have read so many posts about having to chose which part and when and how torn so many are about having to leave before they are finished... so I am very fortunate indeed! And so my focus is on the Camino whilst planning and letting the rest fall into place. The remainder is time to reflect ...if I leave at all haha! Maybe I will just spend the whole time walking the Camino's. Im sure it is very difficult to leave... even thinking about the leaving part brings tears to my eyes...I've been waiting for this for several years...

And thanks I will take a look for the thread about transferring and storage.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
... I've just finished reading 'The Call of the Camino' by Robert Mullen [recommended], who walked at the same time I intend to, which is late april through May, and he gives the impression that it rained a lot of the time. Is this true?
The answer to this question is like the answer to so many questions that are asked and that answer is - Well - that depends. Sometimes it's rainy in April and May and sometimes it isn't. I've walked at that time when it hasn't rained at all and was quite hot. I've also spent several days in the rain in the spring and this year escaped all of the rain in May. It was sunny but really quite cool at the time I walked. Mother Nature can be a most confusing and unpredictable woman.
Buen camino.

Joe Valesko, and Matt, of ZPacks, came to our Appalachian Trail Club of Florida meeting last night and did a presentation. It was mostly about his triple-crown hike of the AT, Continental Divide and Pacific Crest trails. What was worthy of note to this discussion was the equipment that he now produces, based on those experiences. The demands of those hikes far exceed anything that will be encountered on the Camino and his gear held up extremely well. What is especially noteworthy is how little everything weighs. The pack was around one pound, 454 grams, the tent about the same. Compared to the pack I carried when I did the Appalachian Trail, that is phenomenal. My pack, alone, weighed about five pounds.

There was a good assortment of tents, and even though I loved my Hubba-Hubba on the Camino, the ones ZPack have make lots more sense, since they weigh so little and take up far less space in the pack. We were carrying the two-person Hubba-Hubba, and it took up much of the space in my pack, leaving little room for much else. Joe's tent was about the size of a large water bottle. I was amazed!

Check out his gear, it is durable and extremely light, and the prices were not that bad, considering the quality and weight. I know where I'm getting my next pack.

I just finished a Camino from St Jean to Finisterra earlier this summer and remember looking to this forum for advice on camping before I left so I wanted to share my experience carrying a tent and trying to camp during our hike. I was also the leader of the group of Boy Scouts that was discussed briefly on this forum earlier in the summer so our group of hikers was 21 people. Here's a few details on our experiences out there.

Of our 37 nights on trail I stayed in my tent 31 times. I carried a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 and overall it performed very well. It was easy to set up, very light weight, kept out bugs, had a small footprint, and held up well to some of the strong storms that blasted us on our journey. We stayed at very few, if any, commercial campgrounds, and usually just stayed in gardens, public parks, and pastures along the way. We always started out by asking about some public land at the municipal albergue and if we couldn't find anything that way we would ask some people around town and were usually able to camp in a pasture near the edge of town. We also found that people were less receptive to camping in the eastern portion of the Camino but as we moved west where there were more pilgrims there were usually designated spots or grass where pilgrims could camp given that there was often an overflow.

I found that staying in tents didn't really affect our ability to socialize with fellow hikers along the way. We were able to hang out with whomever we liked during the afternoons and evenings at the local cafes and simply retired to our tents at night when they retired to their beds in the albergues.

We saw some hikers that had some bad experiences with bed bugs at albergues from time to time so it was nice to have the option to avoid that possibility all together.

Tents also gave us flexibility for when we went to bed and when we woke up. We could go to bed as early or late as we wanted and not have to worry about disturbing anyone or being disturbed. We could also wake up as early or late as we wanted without having to worry about other hikers schedules. Also, there was only one hiker in our group that snored, and I would just not set my tent up next to his.

We saw many hikers rushing through the day simply to make sure that they got one of the limited beds in the albergues and we also saw some hikers having to press on late in the day if they arrived in a small town and the only albergue was full and they weren't carrying tents. The tents gave us the flexibility to choose our target town, then spend a few minutes finding a piece of grass, and not have to worry about how crowded the albergue was.

Lastly, no one would want a group of 21 people descending on an albergue and taking the limited beds, so it was just as easy for us to set up in the nearby pasture, and leave the beds for the other hikers.

Overall, we really enjoyed our experience of camping on the Camino and I'd be glad to answer any questions for anyone else that is looking to camp along the way.

Buen Camino

Brian
Thank You, Brian. I have been looking for some positive feedback regarding camping. I too have a Big Agnes and start in mid June. I want to stay in alburges too, but I have chronic vertigo and migraines, and in the event of an attack, I want to tuck away in my tent until symptoms pass. I'm also not wild about bed bugs, snoring, flatulence, or racing for a bed. Maybe I'll find a group or troop of campers I can shadow. That would make me feel safer.

I have not read all of the posted replies, so I am repeating anything already mentioned I am glad that I am not alone :)
When it comes to camping on the camino I cannot recommend it enough. How you go about doing it though depends a lot on what kind of traveler you are and what you are comfortable getting into. I am happy to share my method, but I should mention first that I fall into a very rare category of pilgrims for whom the sun is always shining. I have been walking for 10 years now, between the months of May and October, and have had exactly 1 day of rain per camino. I probably would not be keen on packing up a wet tent.

I have a tent of choice, from REI. It is the half dome and comes in three parts: the tent, the fly, and the ground cover. By design you can eliminate one of the three pieces and still have a functioning tent. I eliminate the tent part as it is the heaviest and just travel with the fly and the ground cover, plus the poles of course. This means that I am protected from above and below and that wind flows all around me; I have not had any troubles with nosy critters.

When it comes to the "where," it all depends. I have only ever used one bona-fide camp site, in Espinal. It is superb, and have gone back with the family in tow when I was doing a research camino. It is technically off the camino but on the road and going there does not add anything to the journey. When I get to Pamplona I pay a visit to the post office and mail it ahead to León, there are plenty of beds before Astorga and the extra weight was never of interest to me until then. That said, I was always on the lookout for a place to camp and there are certainly plenty.

Some bullet points:
  • If you use the post, pay attention to the calendar. Sundays are no good, and sometimes Saturdays too. León is a handy place if you ask me. In my list of essential packing items I include a sharpie marker. Write you name all big like on the box and snap a picture of it if you have a camera.
  • Many albergues will allow you to camp on the grounds if you ask politely. I always offer to pay for a bed to cover my consumption of the utilities while there, this goes over well and supports the economy. I shower later than the usual crowd and by then the hot water tanks are full again. If you want a warm shower in Spain you better be first or very much last.
  • Two of my favorite locations are the CSJ albergue in Rabanal, and the horse stables that are underneath the municipal albergue in Pedrouzo (though I don't believe you can use these anymore). I have also camped near Rosario just before Palais de Rei (sometimes gets bizarre late night teenage car traffic, probably less of a problem on weekdays), Portomarin (excellent park), Barbadelo many times (excellent park and quiet at night), Cebreiro (windy). Ligonde is another location. When in Finisterre I always spend a night in the sand.
  • If you are the kind to go to bed before the sun, avoid church yards. The bells continue to toll until 11pm in most towns and will very likely stop your heart if you are not expecting them. I am looking at you Palais de Rei. For that matter, don't even try to steal a nap in a church yard. I am looking at you Obanos.
  • Respect private land. There is plenty of land to put down a small tent, and at dusk it might not seem like a big deal. By morning you could very well realize the uncomfortable way that you are on grazing land. No matter what, clean up after yourself.
  • Keep your documents safe and accessible. I was abruptly woken by the Guardia Civil one night in a manner not unlike something you might see on TV. Lots of lights and yelling and one very confused pilgrim. They had no problem whatsoever when they learned I was a pilgrim. They were, in fact, on the lookout for illegal immigrants. It was terrifying at the time but put a big grin on my face by morning.
  • Avoid unnecessary attention. If you put up a tent at 6pm, no matter where you put it, someone will come along very soon to toss around words like gringo and rubio. There will be head shaking and finger waving. You have not done anything wrong, but by putting down steaks you invited public opinion. Better would be to wait until near dusk, or at least closer to bed time.

That is the thing about camping. Perhaps it is because of nighttime police raids, or bed wetting bells, or because you avoid the rat race to get a bed, or because you sleep right past the noisy wakeup routine of the albergues, but you always set off in the morning refreshed and with a smile. You will sleep later, typically, and therefor fall into a different rhythm than the other pilgrims. You could very well walk alone for a bit.

I never camped exclusively, nor to save money, but rather for the peace and freedom it allowed me to enjoy the last week of the camino.

If you can handle the extra weight of a tent and like life spicy I say go for it.

Call me loco, but I love the idea of sleeping out under the stars. And yes, I am quite the experienced camper. Something to consider, but very carefully.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Book Listing Camp Sites?

THANK you all for making my day. I'd heard there was no camping, but was pleased to hear I can bring my tent. I plan to bring a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. I like the idea of keeping my gear in my tent at night for only 6 ounces of additional carrying weight.
Question...... Is there a book with maps pointing out all the camp sites along the way???
THANKS in advance, John
Hi Cowpie, how did your camping Camino go? I would love to know where you camped along the way? I've been hearing that many albergues either don't have the space or don't let people camp.

Buen Camino

Brian

Hi Brian, great tips! Did you typically wild camp or stay on albergue property? If wild, did you wait until dusk and what did you do with all of your stuff while you waited? Did you get to explore and enjoy dinner in the villages?

Hi Cowpie, how did your camping Camino go? I would love to know where you camped along the way? I've been hearing that many albergues either don't have the space or don't let people camp.
Cowpie has not visited the Forum since May 2, 2013, so you may not get a reply.;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hope this helps, and makes no diff to me if you use a tent or not...just want to let you know for info purposes:
I live here in Spain and Decathalon stores are in all the large cities and sell tents or any other sporting goods you need. If you forget something..it can be purchased-just don't forget your credit card. Happy Hiking!

Brian

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I want to hike the Camino but camp most of the time , like you. I need it to be cheap and I also have an aversion to getting any sort of bed bug.
The only thing is I need to use a CPAP machine and I have a very small one to carry. My goal is to use some sort of solar pack I've researched. To gather power all day and sleep for 8 hours. Do you happen to know if any parks have power? (i know very unlikely, but thought I'd ask)

How did you research the camping before you left?

Also, I will be alone. Which from what I've read is* fairly* safe on the Camino . ( rip Ms Thiem) Do you think I could camp close by the albergues if that's the case?

I'm trying to be as prepared as I can.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I want to hike the Camino but camp most of the time , like you. I need it to be cheap and I also have an aversion to getting any sort of bed bug.
The only thing is I need to use a CPAP machine and I have a very small one to carry. My goal is to use some sort of solar pack I've researched. To gather power all day and sleep for 8 hours. Do you happen to know if any parks have power? (i know very unlikely, but thought I'd ask)

How did you research the camping before you left?

Also, I will be alone. Which from what I've read is* fairly* safe on the Camino . ( rip Ms Thiem) Do you think I could camp close by the albergues if that's the case?

I'm trying to be as prepared as I can.

Hi writerchantal

I've done a quite a few caminos and took a tent on all of them.. also Iv'e used albergues private and municipals and hotels
you don't have a legal right to wild camp anywhere in Spain. there are exception on the Gr11 which is a higher route through the whole of the Pyrenees and some other mountain ranges...

Fire is a huge concern in Spain and pilgrims who do wild camp along the camino and light small fires are breaking the law ...I respect this totally "no fires"..please care for the land if you do wild camp..

I have however wild camped in remote places and left no trace .

The police in the Villafrance de bierzo area tolerate wild camping, so I asked them first.........I have tried this a few times with no problems leaving no mess near the river..

There are quite a few private albegues along the way and municipals including donativos that have grassed areas to camp..you pay as you would for staying inside with a few exception

the municipal in Molinaseca will only charge you for one person even if two area sharing a tent.
In Gonzar in casa Garcia they own the field near by and camping is free. even attempting to pay is refused . I take a shower and have a meal to contribute, and buy lots of wine(to support the economy ;) ).a small toilet a shower block was under construction earlier this year.. perhaps there will now be a charge...

I carry a power pack which includes a solar panel..which is waterproof and supplies my needs.. I used one commercial campsite just before Sarria called Sarria Camping......very cheap and good shower block. you can plug in to there power in there restaurant....

I will refrain from, furnishing my entire list of places I used ...all part of the fun to discover these.

I used a a full on geodesic mountain tent which is a Terra nova superlight...because I use it for mountain use also..it also very expensive..

I don't know the power consumption of you CPAP..however tenting in albergue grounds this will be straight forward to charge your CPAP.

I carry a "power monkey extreme" not exactly light, but then again I am carrying it....my pack weight is 13 kilos and everything apart form the solar charger is extremely light weight and expensive for this reason.most pilgrims average around 8 kilos... I am a backpacker so 13 kilos is very comfortable for me

I carry a pocket rocket stove which you can strip down in seconds (8) and use screw on powergas mix propane/ and other gases...for winter caminos

I camp when I can because I have PTSD and sometimes phones can be a trigger for me, sometimes I need to be outside and on my own for the evening.
I also like to spend a few late evenings being social with the locals when albergues are closed at this time...

I have listen to my share of snoring ..other human noises.bags rustling........people slamming doors....lights on and off on and off..pilgrims launching out of bed at 5 am and still standing around in the kitchen at 8 pm etc

so tenting really is for me my private room...

Cost is a big factor for me. As I don't have a lot of money as it is, and will be paying for things at home I'd love to be able to take 4 months off and take my time to meet people, see things. LOL. I want to meet them but not be in a large room with all kinds of noises and smells and possibly beg bugs. :)

Cost is a big factor for me. As I don't have a lot of money as it is, and will be paying for things at home I'd love to be able to take 4 months off and take my time to meet people, see things. LOL. I want to meet them but not be in a large room with all kinds of noises and smells and possibly beg bugs. :)

My advice for you is to budget to camp as much as possible in albergue grounds....which will keep costs down......you will still have to pay the same.....in donativos(donations) albergues with grounds I donate the same as a private albergue to off set for those who truly have very little, in your case you donate what you are able too if you can..

researching flights before hand will save you money..your need to eat properly to keep healthy so budget accordingly...use the albergue which have kitchens and share with others who will also share with you...

you will also save here by using the kitchens to make a sandwich for the walking period..

Being honest here your need to eat well and wholesome food not sugars and booze so priority is shelter and food.....even postponing your camino till you have sufficient monies to go, being on a restrictive budget for 4 months can be very rewarding for some and hard for others...and you may want to treat your self here and there..and why not...

what sort of daily budget was you hoping to achieve....

@WriterChantal , regarding your solar pack and CPAP, if you apnea is sombad that the CPAP is a must, be sure to try to power source. I would be skeptical about it being able to reliably power your CPAP, so get one you can return and test it at home. Whenmy insurance coverage allows it I will be getting a mouth peice done for the Camino, as kt's twice the price of the CPAP. Good luck.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A budget is what I am trying to gauge right now, So I can make a plan to go at the end of school in June 2016. Simply math tells me if I take 2 months at 10 euros a day (600.0) which is not bad. Cheapest flight into Europe is Dublin about 800 American dollars. Ferries, Trains are extra. Plus all the bills at home which don't stop because I am away.
My plan is to figure out a budget, then for safeties sake, double it. and try to save. Sometimes I feel like I will never get there!

@WriterChantal , regarding your solar pack and CPAP, if you apnea is sombad that the CPAP is a must, be sure to try to power source. I would be skeptical about it being able to reliably power your CPAP, so get one you can return and test it at home. Whenmy insurance coverage allows it I will be getting a mouth peice done for the Camino, as kt's twice the price of the CPAP. Good luck.

I have both central and obstructive apnea. I've slept with out it before ( accidentally) and I 'm okay, but never really get the rest I need.
You know, that's a good idea, I'm going to call my medical supplies company and ask for advice on equipment for what I want to do!
Thank you!

A budget is what I am trying to gauge right now, So I can make a plan to go at the end of school in June 2016. Simply math tells me if I take 2 months at 10 euros a day (600.0) which is not bad. Cheapest flight into Europe is Dublin about 800 American dollars. Ferries, Trains are extra. Plus all the bills at home which don't stop because I am away.
My plan is to figure out a budget, then for safeties sake, double it. and try to save. Sometimes I feel like I will never get there!

2 months more realistic and enough time..as you say budget then double it....will be doable then......the caminos not going anywhere and some people plan for years..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

your find starting in Pamplona as you mention on a similar thread flying in to dublin will be costly......when Madrid from the states would be better then its simple to reach Pamplona from Madrid in June

You know the thing about it? I have to actually quit my job, because no one will give me that length of time off a save my position. Now I understand this and I'm not blaming them in any way. But to do this camino it is such a great expense and I am opening myself to not having a job when I come back.

How do 1000's of people do this? is everyone just independently wealthy? It's ironic that its only the wealthy are able to afford to make pilgrimage!?

your find starting in Pamplona as you mention on a similar thread flying in to dublin will be costly......when Madrid from the states would be better then its simple to reach Pamplona from Madrid in June

Truth. By the time I calculate the costs of ferries and trains, it might be cheaper to flight to Madrid. I searched flights to Europe for years now and Dublin is always the cheapest.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
try using skyscanner .com (not dot net).

the trick here is to arrive Madrid early morning with any connection or waiting done your side.,,getting to Pamplona from Madrid is cheap by Alsa Coach .

try using skyscanner .com (not dot net).

the trick here is to arrive Madrid early morning with any connection or waiting done your side.,,getting to Pamplona from Madrid is cheap by Alsa Coach .

Copying all of this to notes, Thank you!

You know the thing about it? I have to actually quit my job, because no one will give me that length of time off a save my position. Now I understand this and I'm not blaming them in any way. But to do this camino it is such a great expense and I am opening myself to not having a job when I come back.

How do 1000's of people do this? is everyone just independently wealthy? It's ironic that its only the wealthy are able to afford to make pilgrimage!?

fact of my life money just mad life worse..
some people are unemployed and you have to eat where ever you are........many take loans out or save for a long time......
it was said to me once on camino by two people , "they said to me how could they not afford to go"its important to focus on you getting there..

fact of my life money just mad life worse..
some people are unemployed and you have to eat where ever you are........many take loans out or save for a long time......
it was said to me once on camino by two people , "they said to me how could they not afford to go"its important to focus on you getting there..
True. This is not a vacation for me. It's a personal pilgrimage.And I need it like I need medicine, food or water for my body.

I have both central and obstructive apnea. I've slept with out it before ( accidentally) and I 'm okay, but never really get the rest I need.
You know, that's a good idea, I'm going to call my medical supplies company and ask for advice on equipment for what I want to do!
Thank you!
If its Central the mouth piece will not help. Not that I know of. And a travel size CPAP, not for Central, will cost you 500$ easily. 50 nights in an albergue will be a breakeven.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

You're right, @WriterChantal - very few people can take 2 months off work and have their job held for them. That's why the vast majority don't walk that far all at once, but walk much shorter sections of the Camino, for shorter periods. Around half (roughly) of all those who walk the Camino Frances walk only the last 100km to Santiago, the minimum distance required for a Compostela. Many others start further back, but do it in stages, sometimes spread over many years. So they might do only 2 weeks, then go home and start saving again, and come back a year or two or more later and walk another 2 weeks, and so on. Some people who live closer to the Camino do it a weekend at a time! Obviously for those of us who have to travel thousands of miles to get there, lots of short trips may be harder than one longer one. But it may be something for you to consider, if you were able to get some time off work. There is nothing, no rule at all, that says you must walk for 2 months - or any set distance or timeframe or from any specific starting point. The only "rule", such as it is, is the one about walking 100km to earn a Compostela, if that is important to you. Then again, if it important to you to walk a longer Camino and at one time, and giving up your job is what you need to do to achieve this, then your cost-saving ideas are good and you're on the right track (excuse the pun!). You may find more on this Forum if you spend time trawling through it, it is a wonderful source of information and ideas. I do agree with @mountaingoat999 above that the cost overall will probably be cheaper if you fly into Madrid, especially if you want to start from Pamplona. Getting from Dublin to your starting point would probably cancel out any savings you might make by flying there. Anyway - whatever you decide, good luck with your savings, and enjoy the planning - that's part of the fun!

You're right, @WriterChantal - very few people can take 2 months off work and have their job held for them. That's why the vast majority don't walk that far all at once, but walk much shorter sections of the Camino, for shorter periods. Around half (roughly) of all those who walk the Camino Frances walk only the last 100km to Santiago, the minimum distance required for a Compostela. Many others start further back, but do it in stages, sometimes spread over many years. So they might do only 2 weeks, then go home and start saving again, and come back a year or two or more later and walk another 2 weeks, and so on. Some people who live closer to the Camino do it a weekend at a time! Obviously for those of us who have to travel thousands of miles to get there, lots of short trips may be harder than one longer one. But it may be something for you to consider, if you were able to get some time off work. There is nothing, no rule at all, that says you must walk for 2 months - or any set distance or timeframe or from any specific starting point. The only "rule", such as it is, is the one about walking 100km to earn a Compostela, if that is important to you. Then again, if it important to you to walk a longer Camino and at one time, and giving up your job is what you need to do to achieve this, then your cost-saving ideas are good and you're on the right track (excuse the pun!). You may find more on this Forum if you spend time trawling through it, it is a wonderful source of information and ideas. I do agree with @mountaingoat999 above that the cost overall will probably be cheaper if you fly into Madrid, especially if you want to start from Pamplona. Getting from Dublin to your starting point would probably cancel out any savings you might make by flying there. Anyway - whatever you decide, good luck with your savings, and enjoy the planning - that's part of the fun!

Of course none of this is required and there are no rules to any of it. It would make more sense to stay in my home state and do the Colorado Trail that is also 500 miles. And I should have saved my worrisome job thoughts and not posted them. Heh. Truth is, I need to make a change in careers anyway! I wish that I could really express why it's important to do this. Even though, I didn't really like everything in the book, "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed, that is a little closer to why I need to do this. And all at once. It's like a cleansing in a way. But I get it, no one is forcing me to do this a certain way.
And yes, after looking on the website @mountaingoat999 suggested, it is certainly cheaper to fly to Madrid and use buses to get from the start and at the finish. I had in mind a plan to do something other things while in Europe, but then realized the Camino is enough in it self right now. And the suggestion to share meals by sharing the cost with other Pilgrims, like @2sassytravelers suggested is a great idea as well. The forum has given lots of new ideas about the whole thing.

Hola everyone

I am very new to this forum, but I would like to offer you my thoughts about camping along the camino. First let me say that I am 54 years old, married, and I did the camino a couple of times, walking or cycling during the 80s and 90s (from Belgium-about 2000kms). We live in Portugal now and I plan to cycle beginning 2016 to Santiago (about 400 kms for me), and then from Santiago to Belgium to visit family and friends.

I almost always bivvy in the wild for the night. A bivvy for me is to stop somewhere late afternoon/evening and start again the next morning. Camping is if you plan to stay at least two nights. There are only a couple of "rules" for a wild bivvy. Keep a low profile and don't leave any traces. Don't bivvy in very touristy areas. In natural/national parks, don't bivvy at the entrance gate. If you are in a populated area, just ask the owner (if available) of the land if you can bivvy for the night in the garden/field/meadow. You will be surprised that most people are very hospitable. Just smile and ask politely (in the local language). Don't take it personal when they refuse you permission. I almost always have my dog with me, and she "opens" a lot of doors;).

Most of the time I don't even sleep in a tent but in a bivvy bag from the dutch army, even in the winter, and -20C. On the ground I put an isolation mat, and on top of that an all season outdoor mattress. In the bivvy bag is my warm sleeping bag and a silk liner. I usually sleep excellent. If it is really raining very hard, I have an old polish canvas army poncho that doubles as a tent/shelter.

Combining jobs/careers with pilgrimage and/or nomadic wishes is not always easy. Especially if you want to be "away" from the job for more than a couple of weeks. Until I was 35, I enjoyed a carefree life, with little money, combining traveling with study and working the odd job here and there. Then I got a regular, very well paid job for 15 years. It had a lot of material advantages, but I didn't experience "joie de vivre", nor did my wife. 5 years ago we gave most of our material possessions away and bought a small farm in portugal, and now we live off the land. We generate a small yearly income from our farm of around 2.000 euros (2.200us$), and we spent about half that amount per year. And we both feel this is our way! We also have an agreement that if one of us wants to travel somewhere or do something away from our farm, the other one will take care of the farm work, together with some local friends. In 2014 my wife was away for a long period. And next year in january I will cycle to Santiago and then to belgium/ northwest europe for about a year with my dog.

I would like to finish with some quotes of Zhuangzi, who lived more than 2 millennia ago, and whose wisdom was an eyeopener for me when I was a young adult.

"What the world values is money, reputation, long life and achievement. What the world counts as joy is health, family and friends, good food, fine clothes, beautiful things to look at, pleasant music to listen to.

What the world considers misfortune is lack of money, a low social rank, a reputation for being bad, an early death, bodily discomfort and labor, no chance to get good food, not having good clothes to wear, having no way to amuse or delight the eye, no pleasant music to listen to.

If people find that they are deprived of these things, they go into a panic or fall into despair. They are so concerned for their life that their anxiety makes life unbearable, even when they have the things they think they want. Their very concern for enjoyment makes them unhappy.

All I know is that when I consider the way people go about attaining happiness, I see them carried away headlong, grim and obsessed, in the general onrush of the human herd, unable to stop themselves or to change their direction. All the while they claim to be just on the point of attaining happiness.

My opinion is that you never find happiness until you stop looking for it. My greatest happiness consists precisely in doing nothing whatever that is calculated to obtain happiness. And this, in the minds of most people, is the worst possible course."

Buen Camino to you all

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Buen Camino

Brian
I'm taking my tent. No way I'm trekking to the next town because albergues are full, and I'm not rushing either. Thanks for the info Brian. Buen Camino!

I'm taking my tent. No way I'm trekking to the next town because albergues are full, and I'm not rushing either. Thanks for the info Brian. Buen Camino!

I carry a tent on all my camino's. But if the weather is good I just use roll mat and sleeping bag. Being willing to sleep outside gives you ultimate freedom. Many albergues will let you camp outside even when full, and you can use the facilities and shower, though you pay of course.

Buen Camino!
Davey

I carry a tent on all my camino's. But if the weather is good I just use roll mat and sleeping bag. Being willing to sleep outside gives you ultimate freedom. Many albergues will let you camp outside even when full, and you can use the facilities and shower, though you pay of course.

Buen Camino!
Davey
Good to know that some albergues are accommodating. That can really help reduce anxiety created by the "bed race"scenario. Thanks for the info Davey! Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.