• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping On The Le Puy And Airport Security

Chuck Cunningham

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting April, 15, 2017
Two part question boys and girls. Have any of you done much camping along the Le Puy route? I have been reading the guide book and the campsites look plentiful... many along a river ! I am stoked about this idea! Would love to hear your stories.

But tonite when I was laying out my gear I noticed the titanium tent stakes and thought "These will end up in the airport security bin for sure." So I am wondering if plastic stakes would pass muster or should I just forget it and purchase some when I get to France. Has anyone, been there, done that? I may have enough time in Paris to pick up a set... but wondering if Le Puy has any camping supplies. All thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just check in your pack. If you are bringing a tent it would surely be too big for hand luggage anyway?

Just check in your pack. If you are bringing a tent it would surely be too big for hand luggage anyway?
I've carried a backpack on a plane before (long time ago) and SAS says the carry on limit is 18 lbs and I'm at about 16.5 lbs... will see... thanks for the heads up though..it does sound a bit big to go into an overhead but I'll double check with them and let you know

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've carried a backpack on a plane before (long time ago) and SAS says the carry on limit is 18 lbs and I'm at about 16.5 lbs... will see... thanks for the heads up though..it does sound a bit big to go into an overhead but I'll double check with them and let you know
Looks like I'm checking the bag,,,, no way can i make the length..

The following is the maximum size and weight for cabin baggage onboard SAS flights:
  • Height: 55 cm/22"
  • Width: 40 cm/16"
  • Depth: 23 cm/9"
  • Weight: 8 kg/18 lbs.

If you don't use checked-in you also have to scour your bag for every outsize container of liquid, nail scissors and whatnot. On long haul where checked bags are included in the fare, I never see the argument for not using it. You save ten minutes in baggage reclaim. So what?

We skinflints in the UK on our £20 European weekend breaks make an art form of going hand luggage only to save the £20 we will be charged for luggage. Ryanair even sells its own cases, to fit the lockers. We buy sandwiches in the airport and drink tap water as well.

Going to Europe to camp for weeks is totally different.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you don't use checked-in you also have to scour your bag for every outsize container of liquid, nail scissors and whatnot. On long haul where checked bags are included in the fare, I never see the argument for not using it. You save ten minutes in baggage reclaim. So what?

We skinflints in the UK on our £20 European weekend breaks make an art form of going hand luggage only to save the £20 we will be charged for luggage. Ryanair even sells its own cases, to fit the lockers. We buy sandwiches in the airport and drink tap water.

Going to Europe to camp for weeks is totally different.
I don't mind the extra money... guess I may as well not mind it.. LOL anyway you don't have a problem with your baggage getting misplaced? BTW love your Bohemian travel approach... I bummed all over Spain and Morocco and was surprised how cheap it was to travel..I stayed in a lot of hostels and the younger set seemed to have all the travel-on-the-cheap tips, places to stay, etc. They took pretty good care of this 70 year old tramper I must say.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Glad you enjoyed bumming around Europe!

About baggage - on a straightforward non stop long haul flight on a good airline between two developed countries, I think it's very unlikely that baggage gets misplaced, especially if you don't check in at the last minute and run for the gate. If it did get lost, you would get it back quickly, probably next day.

I have flown long haul hand luggage only on occasion, where I was transiting through one developing country onto another one, and had had to book the two flights separately, so I could not check the bag 'through' to the final destination. Then I didn't trust that it would come off in time to be reclaimed and checked back in. Also, if it went missing on the first flight, it would only be delivered later to the transit airport, while I would be somewhere else.

Does that make sense? That's just what I do. If you are camping, there are so many things that could get taken off you by security, it would just be a pain to not check it in, IMHO.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed bumming around Europe!

About baggage - on a straightforward non stop long haul flight on a good airline between two developed countries, I think it's very unlikely that baggage gets misplaced, especially if you don't check in at the last minute and run for the gate. If it did get lost, you would get it back quickly, probably next day.

I have flown long haul hand luggage only on occasion, where I was transiting through one developing country onto another one, and had had to book the two flights separately, so I could not check the bag 'through' to the final destination. Then I didn't trust that it would come off in time to be reclaimed and checked back in. Also, if it went missing on the first flight, it would only be delivered to the transit airport, while I would be somewhere else.

Does that make sense? That's just what I do.
I "sort of" understand but I'll just tell you my info and see what you think I'm flying SAS from Ohare, in Chicago, IL to Paris with a stop in Copenhagen , I think. So does that sound reasonably safe? I think what you stated that if they did lose it then it wouldn't take long to catch up with mel, hopefully???

I "sort of" understand but I'll just tell you my info and see what you think I'm flying SAS from Ohare, in Chicago, IL to Paris with a stop in Copenhagen , I think. So does that sound reasonably safe? I think what you stated that if they did lose it then it wouldn't take long to catch up with mel, hopefully???
Do you change planes in Copenhagen? Are both SAS? Are they daily flights?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I change planes in Stockholm, my bad and it is with the same airlines but I don't know if they are daily flights.
Being that I am checking backpack in baggage I have some larger nylon, tough sail bags and I think i;ll put my pack in there as there are so many dangling straps, buckles, etc. to get hung up. Also being that I am checking the baggage do you think I could go ahead and leave the titanium tent stakes packed??

Then the luggage is 'checked through' ie SAS take responsibility for it to Paris. You don't see it at Stockholm. If they are daily or more than daily flights it just means you are likely to get anything lost back more quickly that's all. Skyscanner.net will tell you this.

If it's checked in, there aren't the strict rules on sharp things and liquids as for cabin bags, so I think the tent pegs would be fine, as long as they are packaged so they can't poke out and hurt the baggage handlers. There are still rules, so for example if you are taking a camping stove, you need to look up the guidance. Just check here.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Then the luggage is 'checked through' ie SAS take responsibility for it to Paris. You don't see it at Stockholm. If they are daily or more than daily flights it just means you are likely to get anything lost back more quickly that's all. Skyscanner.net will tell you this.

If it's checked in, there aren't the strict rules on sharp things and liquids as for cabin bags, so I think the tent pegs would be fine, as long as they are packaged so they can't poke out and hurt the baggage handlers. There are still rules, so for example if you are taking a camping stove, you need to look up the guidance. Just check here.
Thanks, no camping stove. Also found out that I can check one bag up to 50 lbs for free. So it looks like I am good to go. This list/you have been a god send for us newbies. I hope you know that. Ciao.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back