• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping on the Portugues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPP-Finisterre, 2015
CP, Porto-Finisterre-Muxia, 2016
Hey folks,

I am looking at doing some or all of the CP for my second camino. I am just wondering about camping along the CP, and whether it is possible. I am going to hike the Appalachian Trail next year and just want to start getting in some camping practice, and thought maybe my next camino could work.
Sooo, how is the CP when it comes to camping (wild, or on official grounds)

Thanks, and buen camino!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey folks,

I am looking at doing some or all of the CP for my second camino. I am just wondering about camping along the CP, and whether it is possible. I am going to hike the Appalachian Trail next year and just want to start getting in some camping practice, and thought maybe my next camino could work.

Wild camping is not allowed in Portugal - (last time that I checked) Option is always to ask a farmer if you could camp on his field/s. On the caminho I had not even noticed a single campsite (from Lisboa to SdC) - there might be more along the coastal areas ?!
Bom Caminho ~

Wild camping is not allowed in Portugal - (last time that I checked) Option is always to ask a farmer if you could camp on his field/s. On the caminho I had not even noticed a single campsite (from Lisboa to SdC) - there might be more along the coastal areas ?!
Bom Caminho ~
There is one camping just before Vila do Conde on the caminho and one 2 kms west of Ponte de Lima.we just visited that municipal camping 3 days ago. Very nice to stay but a bit off camino. Furthermore we did not see campings on the central caminho.
The coastal caminho has some more campings a.o. Nearby Vila Châ and In Viana do Castelo and Vila Praia de Ãncora aswell in Mougas at the Spanish side of the Coastal caminho.
As Claudia (Amorfati1) says: wild camping in Portugal is strictly forbidden. They have big fear for woodfires.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey folks,

Hi!

You can find (almost) all campsites in Portugal in this website: http://www.roteiro-campista.pt/wp/
Hope it helps ;)

Joana

I will be walking the CP beginning in late March and camping. Wild camping may not be "legal" in Portugal, however, a little bit of recon and flexibility will allow you to camp where people won't disturb you and where you won't draw attention to yourself. Being from Alaska, camping is about woods woods woods! Find your self a patch of trees and nestle your way into them :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be walking the CP beginning in late March and camping. Wild camping may not be "legal" in Portugal, however, a little bit of recon and flexibility will allow you to camp where people won't disturb you and where you won't draw attention to yourself. Being from Alaska, camping is about woods woods woods! Find your self a patch of trees and nestle your way into them :)
Hmmm. You do not show respect to the rules and to the Portuguese people.

So you're saying its ok to trespass on private property? Would you trespass on private property in AK?
Like the saying goes, "if you wouldn't do this at home, don't do it Portugal." You are a guest in their country, so respect their laws.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well if you can't afford lodging you gotta sleep somewhere right? I'd rather be nestled in to a small patch of trees than exposed on a park bench. Anybody care to donate to my lodging "needs" or can we all just have our own camino? I'm sure everyone of you are saints though so disregard my improper suggestion.

[...] Anybody care to donate to my lodging "needs" or can we all just have our own camino? I'm sure everyone of you are saints though so disregard my improper suggestion.
Let's be frank about the subject: if you can afford to travel from wherever you live to Portugal (by boat, plane, car, bicycle, drone????), you should be able to provide for the small contribution and sleep in "albergues". If you can't do that, skip the trip (fare, airticket, petrol, etc.) and have a nice, healthy walk and camping at home instead.;):p

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This forum has so ready to jump on someone who says something we may not like. The OP never mentioned camping on private property and it's not our business regarding his finances.

OK some information has been provided but the thread has become aggressive. I'm going to close it for now. I'm sorry @lessonslearnedabroad because you asked a perfectly sensible question: I hope you have the information you needed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back