Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping on the Primitivo/Ingles in April or May

kruzof

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese, Primitivo, Finisteree
Hi All,

I walked two of the Caminos a year ago and absolutely loved it but had a terrible time sleeping in the albergues. Despite ear plugs and even sleeping pills the reality is I am just a light sleeper. I can not afford to book hotels or private rooms the whole trip so was thinking of bringing an ultra light tent, pad and bag. Planning to hike the Primitivo then likely the Ingles. I like the flexibility in being able to stop where I want and to be able to sleep without folks snoring around me! I am strong and have done lots of long distance back packing so the extra weight seems worth it if I get to actually sleep. Ideally I would love to be able to set up my tent at the albergues that have an outdoor area so I have kitchen/bathroom access etc. Wondering if anyone knows if this is possible. How about camping off the trail? Is it mostly private land or would this be easy to do? Also I know there is always safety concerns anywhere but as a solo woman traveler think this would present any unusual issues?

Lastly, thinking about a mid April/May trip as I prefer to avoid the summer crowds. Anyone have experience hiking this time of year there?

Appreciate the help.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know if Insurance/safety issues for the owner would prevent you staying outside the albergues but as long as you paid their bed fee they might agree to let you pitch a tent and use their facilities (I assume you would pay, right?). Edit: but be prepared for them to refuse so bring ear plugs). End edit I didn't see camp grounds on the Primitivo (might have been some, check the guidebooks). personally I believe squatting on private property without permission to be rude as well as illegal. I don't see any safety issues for a man or woman camping (other than breaking the law when done without permission)
I walked it as a woman alone in late may it was pretty but to me cold.

Last edited:
Oh I would definitely want to pay to camp at the albergues and would not want to squat on private property. Was trying to understand if there is public areas or if private property owners (churches or others) may be open to have pilgrims camp on their property. Thanks for the response. How cold was cold to you? I am less worried about the cold than I am about rain in April and May.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You might look up some of the albergues along the route on gronze or eroski, and contact them to see how they feel about camping. It didn't rain much that I remember (rained nonstop on the Norte April/may. I wore pants and a vest or my jacket but I tend to suffer in cold. I'll try to look up the weather --or hopefully Tia Valeria sees this --she has lots of experience the time frame you will walk

Most of the open area seems to be to have livestock on it

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Some of the private albergues have private rooms so you might want to consider that as an option. I don't think that there are any camping places on the Primitivo or the Inglés and the land we walk through is private. There are also signs in places that it is hunting territory. We found the pensiones were fairly cheap when you consider the extra cost of breakfast in a cafe. Also it can be very cold on the Primitivo in April and early May, sometimes still with snow so again not easy for camping.
Buen Camino

Oh I would definitely want to pay to camp at the albergues and would not want to squat on private property. Was trying to understand if there is public areas or if private property owners (churches or others) may be open to have pilgrims camp on their property. Thanks for the response. How cold was cold to you? I am less worried about the cold than I am about rain in April and May.

The question of camping keeps recurring on the forum. I have not seen any "camp sites" on the Primitivo but that is not to say that they do not exist! There are orchards and gardens where the householder might give you permission, again, I have not noticed any tents! The provincial laws are quite clear that "wild camping" is not allowed in Asturias and Galicia.
You could try and e-mail some of the local Tourist Offices - e.g. Fonsagrada - we have found them helpful for taxi phone numbers etc. :-
http://www.spain.info/es/informacio.../lugo/oficina_de_turismo_de_a_fonsagrada.html

Blessings on your planning1
Tio Tel

Let's, from memory... Of the places where I stayed on the Primitivo the followinw ...

Esclampero does not have grass, only a parking lot.
San Juan de Villapanada has a grass area, but perhpas not flat for a tent.
Mater Christi only has a parking lot.
Borres does have land, even if under a tractor, and people were sleeping out there when I was there.
The juvenil in Castro has a very nice large backyard.
The Cantabrico in A Fonsagrada has no ousoor space but I think the traditional albergue in Padron a few km later does.
The Xunta in Castroverde has lots of land.
The Xunta albergue in Cavado has lots of land, and someone doing the Camino on horseback stayed in his tent outside.
San Roman had land, in both albergues
As Seixas has lots of land.
Santa Irene has a nice backyard
Ribadiso has land.

You could start by contacting these and see what they say about letting you camp out.

As for weather, I walked starting in the 3rd week of May, and a Forum member who wrote a homemade guide to the Primitivo, Liz Brandt, walked it just before me, if I recall, amd it was cold, rainy and very muddy. You would not find me there in April. And on this route you will walk alone and likely only see others in the evening or at a few resting places along the way.

Good luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are black bears in the mountains around Hospitales on the Primitivo. So you might want to stay near the villages :)
I saw that sign...did you ever see any?:) I believe the sign, just wondering...I hoped for a picture but the most 'dangerous' thing I saw was when I realized taking a picture of a cow that it had boy parts. exit pilgrim slowly and carefully....o_O

2 Spanish pilgrims saw the footprints of af bear walking up Hospitales this April. Just besides the bones of a dead horse. (No one knows if they were connected.) When I came ½ an hour later, the footprints where covered in snow. But the 2 pilgrims showed me the photoes later, when we where safely sitting in the next bar :) This April the Primitivo was very cold and wet with lots of snow and mud and storms. I loved every minute, but wouldn´t camp there myself in April - bears or not :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am absolutelyno expert, SYates, but the footprint had 5 toes, I think dog prints only have 4 toes. If I can, I will try to add the photo, (the 2 pilgrims kindly send me a copy), may be there are some pilgrim-biologists-experts in this forum :)
Of course - it could have been the Yeti! Didn´t think of that :)

Attachments

• C360_2016-04-08-10-33-12-635.jpg
    C360_2016-04-08-10-33-12-635.jpg
    921.3 KB · Views: 39
Those who've walked the Primitivo in April, I was wondering (and don't know the OP's reasons behind first Primitivo then Ingles) but do you think the opposite order might work better? I seem to remember Tia Valeria or Tio Tel talking about snow causing a re-route, one of the reasons I moved the Primitivo to May in my walk

Those who've walked the Primitivo in April, I was wondering (and don't know the OP's reasons behind first Primitivo then Ingles) but do you think the opposite order might work better? I seem to remember Tia Valeria or Tio Tel talking about snow causing a re-route, one of the reasons I moved the Primitivo to May in my walk
Yes, spring will arrive later to the Primitivo compared to Inglish
because of the altitude.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello. I need some assistance, please. Can someone tell me what are the accommodations from Lugo to Ferrol? Is there a place to get map of this path and lastly, is it way marked?
Thanks

Hi Marigold, Did you mean Friol? As far as I am aware there is no "Camino" from Lugo to Ferrol. This may be the thread you need:-
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ng-from-primitivo-to-norte-yes-you-can.42599/

Blessings
Tio Tel
Thank you. I will continue to check out the thread you mentioned and the many threads contained therein. I was correct in my directions. I have seen a way to get to the Ingles (Ferrol) off of the Primitivo at Lugo. My purpose is to avoid the Camino Frances while eventually arriving at Santiago de Compostela.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe Lugo-Oviedo-Villaba and then the Norte to Ferrol?

Honnestly, if you will be walking the Primitivo, just bite the bullet and endure the 3-4 days on the Frances. Otherwise it will cost you 2 weeks, and a headache looking for reverse arrows.

How are you planning to get to Lugo, if not walking the Primitivo? Will you be coming from the Frances to switch over by Porto Marin, and walk the Primitivo in reverse?

It will not be marked for walking in reverse although I did pass 1 person doing it over the Hospitales route.

Is there a junction between the Norte and Ferrol? Honnestly, I have no idea. I like Tio Tel think you may have confused the Fs, but I have been known to be wrong.

The Norte turns south at Ribadeo towards Sobrado, the only link we know is the Ruta do Mar from Ribadeo along the coast via San Andrés de Teixido then turn to Ferrol (This is 9 stages in itself from Ribadeo to Xubia).

In 1809 Sir John Moore took his troops over the mountains from Lugo area to A Coruña, and his achievement is still considered awe inspiring, however I do not think that there is a marked route. If you really want to reach the Inglés from Lugo then maybe Lugo via Friol to Sobrado, then use Google maps to find the shortest walking route to join the Inglés. (96kms) It might be worth checking that this is acceptable for a Compostela as it could be difficult to get sellos along the way.

Last edited:
The Norte turns south at Ribadeo towards Sobrado, the only link we know is the Ruta do Mar from Ribadeo along the coast via San Andrés de Teixido then turn to Ferrol (This is 9 stages in itself from Ribadeo to Xubia).

In 1809 Sir John Moore took his troops over the mountains from Lugo area to A Coruña, and his achievement is still considered awe inspiring, however I do not think that there is a marked route. If you really want to reach the Inglés from Lugo then maybe Lugo via Friol to Sobrado, then use Google maps to find the shortest walking route to join the Inglés. (96kms) It might be worth checking that this is acceptable for a Compostela as it could be difficult to get sellos along the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It might be worth checking that this is acceptable for a Compostela as it could be difficult to get sellos along the way.

Sellos are easily obtained at health centres, churches (if open at evening mass), police stations, cafes, and gas stations. I have found that police are amused and helpful, and ready to give sellos. I am aware that one contributor to this forum is still very pleased with the sello she obtained from a rabbit abbatoir.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the input.

Using Google map enter: "Lugo, Spain to Ferrol, A Coruna, Spain google maps". It is here I see a roadway (AG64) connecting Lugo to Ferrol. As far as way markers go, I'll be checking in at the Tourist OfLugo with the Tourist Office and see what can be unless...someone here on the Forum has some knowledge of this route. If unsafe to walk (94.5km) I'll get transportation to Ferrol.

For clarification... I am doing the Camino Primitivo.
Beginning in Oviedo. Then onto the Camino Ingles to Santiago de Compostela and continuing further to do the Camino Finisterre.
My starting date may be late summer of 2017.

As to the question of sellos for a Compostela, I am not inclined to worry about such. It would be lovely should I be able to have such a lovely document but for me that's not imperative.

I go to do, to see, to experience, to learn and to feel.

Thank you and thanks too for that bit of history, Tia.

Appreciate all the input.

Using Google map enter: "Lugo, Spain to Ferrol, A Coruna, Spain google maps". It is here I see a roadway (AG64) connecting Lugo to Ferrol. As far as way markers go, I'll be checking in at the Tourist OfLugo with the Tourist Office and see what can be unless...someone here on the Forum has some knowledge of this route. If unsafe to walk (94.5km) I'll get transportation to Ferrol.
For clarification... I am doing the Camino Primitivo.
Beginning in Oviedo. Then onto the Camino Ingles to Santiago de Compostela and continuing further to do the Camino Finisterre.
My starting date may be late summer of 2017.
As to the question of sellos for a Compostela, I am not inclined to worry about such. It would be lovely should I be able to have such a lovely document but for me that's not imperative.
I go to do, to see, to experience, to learn and to feel.
Thank you and thanks too for that bit of history, Tia.

Just a word of caution re. road markings. The AG designation stands for a major road (main route). The smaller by-roads suitable, perhaps, for walking are designated LU (Lugo) or AC (Coruna). There are a number of by-roads between Lugo and Ferrol which could possibly be used. Having driven the roads around Vilalba, I certainly would be cautious about walking on a busy main road with no pavement. :eek:

Blessings on your planning
Tio Tel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Tio Tel very much for the enlightenment. Much appreciated. I need to obtain an easy to read/follow road map for that connecting stretch of highway. Can you advise?

Thanks Tio Tel very much for the enlightenment. Much appreciated. I need to obtain an easy to read/follow road map for that connecting stretch of highway. Can you advise?

I bought our maps in the U.K. from The Map Shop, Upton on Severn. Link here:-
- http://themapshop.co.uk/europe/Spain/spainindex2.htm
Probably the best place to start is with the 1:150,000 Michelin map. The one you need is number -
Michelin 141 ZOOM Espana, Costa de Galicia
For our walking / route planning I use the "Mapas Militar" 1:50,000 which show everything down to cart tracks as well as roads. The down side is that you will need five or six of these to cover the distance. Again they came from the Map Shop, link here:-
http://themapshop.co.uk/europe/Spain/laCoruna.htm
I photocopied the parts I needed and then cut them into strips and stuck them together to give one long map. That way you can tear off each bit when you have used it and throw it away. Saves a lot of weight! We navigated our way along the coast last year using them from Ribadeo to San Andres de Texeido with few problems and very few yellow arrows to guide us
Have fun :)
Blessings
Tio Tel

Hi Marigold mama when in May are you walking the Primitivo. I'm starting from Oviedo around 06/07 May after walking the San Salvador. I'm also walking from Ferrol around 21st May.

Hi Marigold mama when in May are you walking the Primitivo. I'm starting from Oviedo around 06/07 May after walking the San Salvador. I'm also walking from Ferrol around 21st May.
Ah geez what rotten luck. I would have liked very much to have someone to share my experience or at least point me in the right direction! However, I've had a bit of a setback. It appears no Camino for me in 2017. So I'm aiming now for 2018! Everyone is welcome!!!
Peace and Happiness to all. And thank you all for your wonderful informative posts.
~MM~

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back