• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping, or not, on Le Puy?

Penbaysail

Time of past OR future Camino
I am currently in northeast France backpacking with a solo tent & camping mat. Afterwards, my plan is to head to the LePuy route for several days of hiking prior to embarking on the CF route from SJPP to SDC.

My intention was to jettison the tent and sleeping mat for the CF portion, but I was wondering whether to keep the tent or mail it ahead for the LePuy section as well?

The plus side of keeping the tent is the flexibility of using a campground or gite lawn if all the gite beds are full in any particular town.

The disadvantage is that the tent and sleeping mat add about 2.7 kg to my pack weight, and I would REALLY like to bring my pack weight down.

I have a French SIM card and phone number, so calling ahead to gites for reservations is feasible.

Thanks for any advice or direction.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I saw quite a few people camping when I did the Le Puy route last year. They were just in fields or forests along the way mostly, I am not sure if they asked permission, but some places are quite isolated. If you are planning to stay in a gite, it is best to book ahead rather than just rock up or you may find there is nothing to eat when you get there. They like to know in advance if you will be eating so they can get in enough food. I came across several people who had not realised this and had some hungry days, particularly on Sunday, when pretty much everything can be closed in the smaller towns. French cooking is to die for, however and it is well worth eating at the gites!
Enjoy the Le Puy route, it is absolutely beautiful. Hope this is helpful.

Penbaysail,

Here in France there is a often a Chain of Local ( donativo )
Hospitality offered for passing pilgrims. See more in French here. Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

For example my husband and I live in a small Champagne village, facing the Marne river.
We have a b & b but also provide simple family hosting for passing pilgrims. My first pilgrim shell hangs at our door marking the path. You would be most welcome to tent here if you come this way!

Check to see if such a Chain of Local Hospitality/ l'Accueil pèlerins à domicile exists where you might wish to travel in France.

Happy planning and Bon chemin!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't known about the association for pèlerins before, and I will look through that website as my French improves with practice.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back