• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping roll mat - to take or not to take

handzondeck2

Time of past OR future Camino
Life is one big adventure - follow your dreams.
HI all

Is it worth taking a camping roll mat to sleep on if the numbers are quite numerous on the Camino Portugues due to the Holy Year? :?:

Thanks

Sharon :p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think the general rule for camping mats is that you don't need to take one unless you are actually camping!
My understanding is that regulations for albergues often mean that you can no longer sleep packed in on the floor on mats. I wouldn't bother carrying one if I were you - it's just some extra weight that you will probably end up dumping.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No dont bother....Takes up extra weight and space and all the albergues I visited in the last two weeks had "decent" matresses....The only people I knew on the walk who had them dumped them half way.

if you're camping its a different story of course.

I too was seriously considering bringing mine on the Camino Frances. I was thinking that it could come in handy with the crowds (June-July) of this Holy Year. Am I wrong? Will there always be a bed, somewhere?

I'd really like an opinion too. I bought a mat, because I will be walking the camino frances in June and July (hopefully arrive in Compostela by July 15) I don't think I would need it on the earlier legs, but what about in Galicia. I don't want to bring it, it's light but if I don't need to carry it, if I won't need it, but I don't want to be without should the need arise.
I'm only bringing a sleeping bag liner, so i wouldn't be comfortable sleeping on the floor with just that. What does everyone else think?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
They will no longer let you sleep on the floors, and by 'they' I mean every albergue.

There will not necessarily be a bed for you. You might have to walk strange hours, or longer/shorter distances than you anticipated to find a bed at an albergue. Or, you might have you pay to stay in a casa rural or hotel if space is all gone.

When I walked the Camino 3 years ago, these things happened a few times. And when all the beds were gone, they were always very strict about no sleeping on floors (it is due to fire regulations, and if they get caught they can be shut down). The only time where there was no where to sleep in more than 20 km in any direction and I thought I would have to sleep under a bridge, the hospitalera took me home with her to sleep in her house. As long as you are flexible, you'll probably find a place to sleep. But with it being holy year, I don't know!

So, yeah. Like others said, if you are camping, that is the only possible way you would need a mat. Otherwise you'll dump it. If you decide you need one while you are on the walk, you can always find one in a 'free' box, or you can buy one in a city you pass through.

I respectfully disagree with fiddletree.

I walked this past August through November, and there were many places that would allow you to sleep on the floor or out in the yard. I know because I did it.

I also slept in a church pew once and on a church porch once.

I usually say do not take a mat, in fact I said it just last week.

But I'm seeing the numbers of pilgrims now and thinking for THIS particular year, it might be a smart item to carry. You can buy really lightweight CHEAP ones ($6) at Walmart... blue foam... and it's something that if you find you do not use, you can leave behind in the free box for someone else to use.

If I were going THIS year, I'd take a mat.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The albergues in Galicia no longer allow more than the allotted number of pilgrims to sleep over. Even at San Roque which is not a municipal albergue, we were not allowed to accept even one extra pilgrim. (there was lots of space - but as Fiddletree said, fire regulations and insurance cover dictated the policy.)
There are many albergues on the camino that will make space for extra pilgrim. Some of these, like my favourite at Grañon, never turn anyone away. Can't imagine what would happen if they had a fire there!

In this Holy Year, walking in June/July I am trusting in God...and taking my camping mat.

I think it is a little early in the year to give a definitive answer to this question. Although the routes are still quiet numbers are double for this period last year. There are plans at the height of the season to set to tented villages and use sports halls etc. It may well be by that point that carrying a mat will give greater flexibility. I'm sure we will see more posts on this as the year progresses.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi,

that was the first thing to throw away from my backpack (among others, on the first day, when i realised i won't be able to carry 8 kg-s for 2 weeks). i walked from Porto this year in May, and no crowds were on the route, more exactly i was walking alone in Portugal, in Spain i met some groups, but there was not yet a problem of crowded albergues.
and in some of them i have seen extra mats in storage spaces...
so i should not take a mat roll with me one more time- even if it wasn't heavy- it toook a little bit of my backpack space.

I´m interested in this question as well, since I´m going on saturday the 26th of june from Saint Jean.
Sleep mat or no sleep mat?
All the reports on the overwhelming number of pilgrims makes you wonder...
What is your last minute recommendation for me?
Yours
Tangaa

Hello Tangaa, Considering that you are going to leave at the beginning of the really high season (on a Saturday as well)- and will be walking right into the hight of the season, I think that you would be advised to take a sleeping mat with you. I guess that you are fairly young and don't mind sleeping outside, or bedding down somewhere? If you find that the amount of people thins out, which I doubt, you could always discard it somewhere along the Way! Anne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.