• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping sites on the Jakobsweg/Via Jacobi route in Switzerland

Madrood

Time of past OR future Camino
Estrecho (2023)
Hi all

I was doing some research on camping on this route and thought I would share my findings.

Here is a map of camping sites that are on or near this route.

And here is a basic spreadsheet containing the costs and contact details.

Most prices are in Swiss Francs, except for some of the last ones in France which are in Euros; not much of a difference between the two currencies.

Disclaimers: I have not been to any of these campsites (or been camping in Switzerland at all), information may change and I may not update the information, other campsites may be available, use at your own risk etc.

Other pilgrim accommodations are also available.

Edit: all of the prices are for high season (July/August), where there is a distinction. Expect to pay several francs less outside of this period, assuming the site is open.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all

I was doing some research on camping on this route and thought I would share my findings.

Here is a map of camping sites that are on or near this route.

And here is a basic spreadsheet containing the costs and contact details.

Most prices are in Swiss Francs, except for some of the last ones in France which are in Euros; not much of a difference between the two currencies.

Disclaimers: I have not been to any of these campsites (or been camping in Switzerland at all), information may change and I may not update the information, other campsites may be available, use at your own risk etc.

Other pilgrim accommodations are also available.
Very impressive research, @Madrood! Being Swiss, I would not know a fraction of what you gathered, but then I never was into camping either. I know Atzmännig and recommend you to check again, for all I know, this camping is for annual/seasonal rentals and does not cater for one-nighters.
Maybe you also want to check out youth hostels (Jugendherbergen), some of them offer pretty good deals. Another, less common way is to simply knock on the doors of the farmhouses and ask if you could sleep in their haystack.
Bon Chemin

Very impressive research, @Madrood! Being Swiss, I would not know a fraction of what you gathered, but then I never was into camping either. I know Atzmännig and recommend you to check again, for all I know, this camping is for annual/seasonal rentals and does not cater for one-nighters.
Maybe you also want to check out youth hostels (Jugendherbergen), some of them offer pretty good deals. Another, less common way is to simply knock on the doors of the farmhouses and ask if you could sleep in their haystack.
Bon Chemin
Thank you!

I checked again and their website says: "a total of 200 well-tended spots. Around 190 thereof are reserved for our permanent campers", so you could still get lucky with the remaining 10.

Yes both of those are good options. There is already a list of accommodations, including otherwise unavailable pilgrim beds, put together by one of the Swiss pilgrim associates, I can't seem to find it right now though. In general the prices are similar to or a little higher than the campsites iirc.

Surprisingly, some of the "sleep in hay" options were more expensive than camping, even outside of Switzerland.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is such great information! I'd love to walk in Switzerland but I never considered it seriously because of the prices. For some reason, I just assumed the Swiss do not camp out too much (that's my stereotyping, of course). I really love coming back to this forum for this very reason: so much inspiration and value.

This is such great information! I'd love to walk in Switzerland but I never considered it seriously because of the prices. For some reason, I just assumed the Swiss do not camp out too much (that's my stereotyping, of course). I really love coming back to this forum for this very reason: so much inspiration and value.
Thanks, I hope it's useful for you. Please bear in mind though that I'm not Swiss, nor familiar with their camping. From looking at pictures, it seemed to favour camper vans and the like.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is such great information! I'd love to walk in Switzerland but I never considered it seriously because of the prices.
Let me encourage you! Walking the pilgrim route(s) in Switzerland is quite doable, as I've done it over several years. The accommodation costs are quite manageable with a little planning, but they are a little more expensive than France, at least by my average. And the scenery can't be beat.

Thank you, @Kitsambler, I'm seriously tempted now! Though I'll probably use my tent anyways, I guess I just like the freedom that goes with it. May I ask about your planning in Switzerland? Do you book every stay ahead of making the trip, or is there room for spontaneous decisions?

While I am Swiss, I am not familiar with camping, but I would call ahead a day or two. Ever since Covid, nothing is like before, people holiday as if it's their very last chance and camping is very popular here.
As mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, camping is commonly done for extended stays, less for one-nighters
I also recommend contacting local tourist offices always good for useful tips, tell the straight what you are looking for and what you plan to spend.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From looking at pictures, it seemed to favour camper vans and the like.
Camping vans are indeed very popular here, to tenters pilgrims I recommend searching on https://naturfreunde.ch, which is very unfortunately only avail in German and French, but you can always use Google translate, Deepl, etc. I don't know if they require membership from those using the services, but that would be a small amount.

I just checked: Non-members are welcome at the numerous "Swiss Albergues" albeit at a slightly higher price, check out this example.

Last edited:
May I ask about your planning in Switzerland? Do you book every stay ahead of making the trip, or is there room for spontaneous decisions?
Being spontaneous will cost you more, as the less expensive accommodations will already be booked. Pilgrims compete with tourists for lodging, you see. Daily details are in my blog, linked in my sig block.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back