• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping, sort of

chuck1947

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Camino Frances starting May 7, 2012
Hello,
I have read in Camino Frances forums that some pilgrims are allowed to camp on the albergues property if the facility is full. I plan to bring a tarp and a light sleeping bag and do not mind staying outside from time to time, sometimes prefer it. Any input on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do it often when there's perfume in the rooms, which makes me sick. So far no problem and when the sky is clear the stars are awesome! I take a screen tent.

Hello,
I have happily camped on the Camino; and yes, some Albergues do allow camping on their grounds.....you simply pay the same as though you were using a bunk, that way, the facilities are yours to enjoy.
Some of my more enjoyable Albergue visits have been camped ones......just mix with people, and you are no outsider.
I've also camped at other places along the way.
If I can be of any help at all.......just get back on here.....this is a topic close to my heart.
Enjoy your Camino,
Paul.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for this info - I am a 'first timer' next month so this information has helped my decision to take my tiny tent with me.

From previous experiences in other parts of the World I also remember that while camping is not always the preferred choice it offers a degree of comfort in knowing that you will have shelter should it be needed.

Phil

This is great news! Thanks for the replies. I can see many advantages of tenting along the way. I have stayed in various hostels in the US while hiking and it will be nice to not have to worry about waking anyone, having someone waken me, having to hear no one's snoring but my own etc. I know I mentioned just bringing a tarp but I do have a Northface Rock 22 and believe that will accompany me now that I am armed with the latest info. The NR22 is a bit heavy ( slightly over 5 lbs) but so be it. I will have little else and I think the added weight will be well worth the while. It is a screen tent and as someone already mentioned, I cannot wait to lay under the stars somewhere in Spain.
Chaio
Chuck
PS Leaving this Saturday, April 20 on a ship. Arriving in Barcelona on May 1 and hope to start the VLP no later than May 5. Hope to see some of you out there.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.