• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camping stool -- worth it?

Would you carry a camping stool

• Total voters

Jakke

Time of past OR future Camino
Eleven different ones in Poland, Finland, Portugal and Spain
1520846444460.png My fellow pilgrims! This stool weighs 0,68 kg. What do you think? Worth it? I remember the long stretches without a possibility to sit on the Via de la Plata... I often wished there were more benches/large stones/places to sit high enough to get up easily (I am 68 years old). Would you carry this for that luxury?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Some backpackers swear by their stools, some don't consider them worth carrying. The only one who can judge if it's worth carrying, is yourself.

If you have trouble sitting on the ground, it may actually be worth carrying. On the other hand, it IS extra weight that you have to carry all the way.

I wouldn't, but I don't have problems with getting up. What I carry, is a small (19 gram) ass pad to sit on.

And I wouldn't dare sit on my current backpack. Now, if I were carrying a Fjällräven Stubben ... ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
View attachment 40121 My fellow pilgrims! This stool weighs 0,68 kg. What do you think? Worth it? I remember the long stretches without a possibility to sit on the Via de la Plata... I often wished there were more benches/large stones/places to sit high enough to get up easily (I am 68 years old). Would you carry this for that luxury?
In principle you can sit where you stand.;)

Wish you well , Peter .

Actually @Jakke I'd love that - provided someone else carried it! I take an inflatable pillow (because I don't like or trust the ones in albergues) and it doubles as a seat. But I still have to get up and down off the ground.

How about a shooting stick? It would be your walking pole normally, but doubles as a seat. Some here:

https://www.distinctlybritish.com/supaseat-shooting-sticks-linden-leisure-c102x2201048

Good idea, but price wise there is no competition (3,90€). Maybe I can make one myself.

Some backpackers swear by their stools, some don't consider them worth carrying. The only one who can judge if it's worth carrying, is yourself.

If you have trouble sitting on the ground, it may actually be worth carrying. On the other hand, it IS extra weight that you have to carry all the way.

I wouldn't, but I don't have problems with getting up. What I carry, is a small (19 gram) ass pad to sit on.

And I wouldn't dare sit on my current backpack. Now, if I were carrying a Fjällräven Stubben ... ;)

Or this one for 40€:
1520854037687.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m with Robo.
If you need to relax, use you backpack as a pillow, or sit on it.
Ps you’ll meet pilgrims older than you. There are quite a few of us

Oh yes, I know. It is just that I cannot use my present backpack as a seat and getting up from floor level is becoming a real pain...

800 Km, 600 gr ... I wouldn't carry that!!:confused: ... Even if I know I would love counting with it time by time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had a light foldable pad to sit on (from Ikea). That was necessary as the stone benches were very cold in early mornings or rainy weather. And I didn't fancy sitting right on the ground or grass. But there were always some uneven terrain, ditch or higher side of the road that I could use as a chair, no point to carry your own.

Sorry, I can't see the point.
Sit on your pack.....;)
Or the ground.
Even if I have to roll over a bit, get on my knees first and then stand up.........better than carrying that weight.
I cannot sit on my pack (unless I buy another one). I have no problem hiking otherwise, but getting up from ground level is becoming a literal pain unfortunately

I cannot sit on my pack (unless I buy another one). I have no problem hiking otherwise, but getting up from ground level is becoming a literal pain unfortunately

If you need it take it. It will give you peace of mind knowing you can stop, rest, then get up again without too much trouble.

Or this one for 40€:

Actually, I was joking. I wouldn't take either pack, as neither of them have load bearing hip belts, plus the Stubben pack is rather heavy.

You may want to take a look at the Robens Discover stool. 280 gram and available in Finland.

BTW: do you know the game of Jokke? :p

3 personer går in i ett slutet rum
Vodkaen drickas
En person går ut och de andra byter till att gissa vem som har gått
Leken kan också spelas av 2 personer - - - - men det kräver mycket mera sprit

It is not that heavy and not that expensive. If you do not mind the extra weight of it, I say go ahead and bring it. I can see where it would be very handy at times on long stretches between towns. Take a break, pop out the stool and take in the scenery.
and as said before, and because it is inexpensive, if you decide you don't want it anymore, leave it in an albergue. Someone there, even if not a pilgrim, will make use of it.
A friend of mine carried something similar for the entire Appalachian Trail in the US. He said he used it all the time and he didn't mind the extra ounces of it. Some people do not mind a heavier pack and walk well with them.

I suggest that you take whatever makes you happy and that you gear test ahead of time. Putting off resting because there is no “good” place to sit could be harder on you than carrying an extra 600 grams. Prioritizing our needs/wants for the journey adds to the fun (and challenge) of preparation.

I have been tempted, when I get to a place where there is nothing to sit on, not even an elevated stone to place and retier your boots.
I found one that withstands a 120 kg person and light built, too, but still haven´t bought one....

I always take one on a day walk and carry it. On a Camino I take a walking trailer so the extra weight is ok. Usually I cycle so also no prob.
I did scoff at my husband when he insisted on taking stools on our 1st camino... And I laughed uproariously when he broke both between Sintra and Porto... but he bought 2 fishing seats in Porto - which I would not now leave home without! So who 's laughing now! ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Should be avaiable now

I have never taken one however need might be your prime consideration. For example I need access to blood testing equipment and medications. My pack has a connected front mounted bag that allows immediate access to what I require. No real decision to be made as I deem it necessary.
If you deem it necessary then you should bring it.

There's a lot to be said for a bit of comfort along the Way. If that stool looks good to you why not give it a try?
Also, might it be possible to experiment with different ways of getting up from a lower position? A good physical therapist or Alexander Technique teacher could be helpful with exploring this if you were interested.

View attachment 40121 My fellow pilgrims! This stool weighs 0,68 kg. What do you think? Worth it? I remember the long stretches without a possibility to sit on the Via de la Plata... I often wished there were more benches/large stones/places to sit high enough to get up easily (I am 68 years old). Would you carry this for that luxury?
We carried those a few years ago because I had trouble getting up with my knee problems and they were great! Even if you’re sitting on a chair, you can put your feet up. I have thought of taking one but the thought of an extra half a kilo is killing that idea

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh yes, I know. It is just that I cannot use my present backpack as a seat and getting up from floor level is becoming a real pain...
Hi @Jakke
I hope I didn’t come across as making light of your problem. I too find it very difficult/hard getting up. But I know there are different degrees of pain. I feel for you.
I’m heading off myself in a week and over past few months have been attending some Pilates and yoga classes. I feel that the good stretching I am learning has been mobilising my joints and preparing my muscles a bit more than they have been when commencing previous caminos.
I’ve had different problems occur each walk, but really feel the yoga/Pilates stretching may help prepare me.
My comment on your seat, really reflected my thoughts on trying to keep (my)backpack weight down., as this, in turn, helps prevent problems which develop in (my ) feet after many days of too much weight.
It’s all a trade off and as has been advised above ., you can always take it, and discard it if you need to.

Buen Camino
Annie

I was wrong:
https://www.naturligvis.com/vare/9022-robens-geographic-graa
( Robens)
this one weighs 260 grms and carries a load up to 170 kgs.
Still would not bring it, but others might.
Not bad! The 33 cm are good -- it fits in my pack. On the other hand, the stool is probably pretty low. However, even 30 cm is better than sitting on the ground. I have not had a chance to go to a sports store here, but I am sure they must have something similarly light.

I fully understand those, who prefer not to carry extra weight. If it helps me, it is not extra. Think about this: 260 gr = 0.26 l of water. How many carry an extra liter "just to be sure"?

We carried those a few years ago because I had trouble getting up with my knee problems and they were great! Even if you’re sitting on a chair, you can put your feet up. I have thought of taking one but the thought of an extra half a kilo is killing that idea
See Stivandrer's post above. 260 gr = a little bottle of water. Most carry much more extra water just in case. I have decided this is useful enough for me to carry this little.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Actually @Jakke I'd love that - provided someone else carried it! I take an inflatable pillow (because I don't like or trust the ones in albergues) and it doubles as a seat. But I still have to get up and down off the ground.

How about a shooting stick? It would be your walking pole normally, but doubles as a seat. Some here:

https://www.distinctlybritish.com/supaseat-shooting-sticks-linden-leisure-c102x2201048

Super if one want's to take the weight off of one's feet after a hard day with the Purdey ;)

I had one once, pre-telescopic shaft days. OK to perch against but too short to use as a hiking pole.

Of course one's ghillie ought to be carrying one of these for you

1521110390422.png
(there's a matching footstool too!)

If only . . .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
baisuit_1.jpgI'm considering taking something like this. Fitting small wheels will make it so that I don't have to carry it at all, just push. Also by adding a small petrol generator I can utilise the "tilt and lift" option which makes

View attachment 40195I'm considering taking something like this. Fitting small wheels will make it so that I don't have to carry it at all, just push. Also by adding a small petrol generator I can utilise the "tilt and lift" option which makes

I'll never get up from that chair :))

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was about to say a stool?! No way! But then i realized that i bring my ENO sub7 hammock with me wherever I travel. It's less than 7 oz tho. I just throw it in my backpack. However, I not only use it to lounge in, i use it to sleep in.

Personally, i wouldn't lug a stool around with me tho. But thats a call you're gonna have to make. If you think you might need to rest a lot along the way, maybe the extra weight of the stool would be counter productive? Maybe simply sitting on an available structure on the camino, or even the grass would be a better option than lugging a stool around with you. I mean by the time you slung your backpack off your shoulders and took out the stool, you could just plop down on the grass.

I dunno. I never would tell someone whats right for them. Nothing wrong with a luxury item. I just think you'll have plenty of places to sit down along the way without having to pack a stool. Bien camino!

Maybe a "Tushion"...a small piece of light weight sleeping mat just big enough to go under your butt.

I was about to say a stool?! No way! But then i realized that i bring my ENO sub7 hammock with me wherever I travel. It's less than 7 oz tho. I just throw it in my backpack. However, I not only use it to lounge in, i use it to sleep in.

Personally, i wouldn't lug a stool around with me tho. But thats a call you're gonna have to make. If you think you might need to rest a lot along the way, maybe the extra weight of the stool would be counter productive? Maybe simply sitting on an available structure on the camino, or even the grass would be a better option than lugging a stool around with you. I mean by the time you slung your backpack off your shoulders and took out the stool, you could just plop down on the grass.

I dunno. I never would tell someone whats right for them. Nothing wrong with a luxury item. I just think you'll have plenty of places to sit down along the way without having to pack a stool. Bien camino!

If only there were those "stuctures" more often. At least last year (Via de la Plata) I wished many times there were tree trunks, boulders.. anything. It often meant I had no choice but to keep going. I had a hard time getting up from floor level, so just a rug won't do for me. That is no choice, just a fact of life for me. It is nice to see you all think with me and come up with so many alternatives. Thanks!

If only there were those "stuctures" more often. At least last year (Via de la Plata) I wished many times there were tree trunks, boulders.. anything. It often meant I had no choice but to keep going. I had a hard time getting up from floor level, so just a rug won't do for me. That is no choice, just a fact of life for me. It is nice to see you all think with me and come up with so many alternatives. Thanks!

Well, thats ultimately all that matters! If it will legitamely help you because of physical need, it's not a luxury item, it's a necessity! Better to bring it and enjoy the camino, than not go on the camino at all. Now THAT would be a mistake.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
See Stivandrer's post above. 260 gr = a little bottle of water. Most carry much more extra water just in case. I have decided this is useful enough for me to carry this little.
I’m going to give it serious thought

Just make sure you use it correctly, otherwise???
;) Sure! This is excellent in the Pilgrims' Office as you wait for your turn at the desk. Usually the few chairs in the hall are taken. This is easy to move and small. For a stop on the camino, I'd like a bit less weight on my feet. So I decided for the tripod stool -- one that is high enough.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
View attachment 40195I'm considering taking something like this. Fitting small wheels will make it so that I don't have to carry it at all, just push. Also by adding a small petrol generator I can utilise the "tilt and lift" option which makes
Nah, if Spain is noted for anything, it is how much energy it produces from Solar. So, put a solar panel on top of the chair and power it with the Sun. No need to buy petrol over and over. Just sit and steer. You can likely set up a great bank of 18650 batteries under the seat. So, they can automatically keep the bum warm as they charge / discharge, added bonus.

Dibs on the rental rights on the Camino Frances.

No.

Jakke,
Quite the dilemma for you.
I am wondering if you use trekking poles?
It doesn’t help with the sit down but I do use them if I need to rest / I put them in front of me and rest/lean my weight on them for a bit. This doesn’t rest your weary legs though but gives you chance to recover and hopefully your legs are getting a short break too.

Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jakke ~I "strolled" a small part of the Frances last June. I brought a camping chair, as I too am 67 years old and have replaced knees, lots of arthritis, sore back, hips, feet, etc. It's very difficult to get off the ground..."it ain't pretty"! I had a small dolly to pull my pack (another story). I didn't use the chair much, so I packed in my larger bag which was moved ahead each day. But, it was heavier than your stool. I found cafes, stones to sit on, etc., so I didn't need it. However, I did not stroll long. I would say, bring it, if it will provide some comfort to you on the trail, at only 1 1/2#. As someone said previously, you can always cast it off. But, it's not that heavy. It could give you a place to rest when you need to rest. Best of luck to you. Buen Camino.

Jakke ~I "strolled" a small part of the Frances last June. I brought a camping chair, as I too am 67 years old and have replaced knees, lots of arthritis, sore back, hips, feet, etc. It's very difficult to get off the ground..."it ain't pretty"! I had a small dolly to pull my pack (another story). I didn't use the chair much, so I packed in my larger bag which was moved ahead each day. But, it was heavier than your stool. I found cafes, stones to sit on, etc., so I didn't need it. However, I did not stroll long. I would say, bring it, if it will provide some comfort to you on the trail, at only 1 1/2#. As someone said previously, you can always cast it off. But, it's not that heavy. It could give you a place to rest when you need to rest. Best of luck to you. Buen Camino.
Thanks. Yes. It ain't nice and at times pretty painful. I have decided to bring a stool.

Jakke,
Quite the dilemma for you.
I am wondering if you use trekking poles?
It doesn’t help with the sit down but I do use them if I need to rest / I put them in front of me and rest/lean my weight on them for a bit. This doesn’t rest your weary legs though but gives you chance to recover and hopefully your legs are getting a short break too.

Annie
Yes, Annie, I do use poles and find them very useful. I tend to get blisters and it would be so nice to be able to sit now and then and rest those soles. So, I'll carry the stool.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nah, if Spain is noted for anything, it is how much energy it produces from Solar. So, put a solar panel on top of the chair and power it with the Sun. No need to buy petrol over and over. Just sit and steer. You can likely set up a great bank of 18650 batteries under the seat. So, they can automatically keep the bum warm as they charge / discharge, added bonus.

Dibs on the rental rights on the Camino Frances.
That is a real problem for a serious pilgrim, as you cannot use transportation. A chair that independently moves behind you and transports your pack, maybe?

Hi there!

I’m after a comfy camping chair. Full heigh with head support.

I’d like it to collapse as much as possible, but it’s for pitching the tent in the new forest sites rather than hiking, so size and weight is less important than luxury. Found some options here https://www.techprohomes.com/best-camping-chair-for-bad-back-in-2019/ .
Lafuma Futura Zero Gravity Chair looks a decent choice
If you're talking about camping in the New Forest in England you might like to consider looking at the Moon Chair from Blacks when you get over here. Extremely comfortable and a sensible height. They come in grey too and have resided in the back of my KIA since I bought them in August - 2 for £30.
!I've actually dozed off in mine.)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.