• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camping stove fuel

Johnboy

Hello, I'm thinking of taking a small camping stove with me on the VDLP next year (I have to start the day with a cup of tea!). Has anyone done this and how easy is it to buy the fuel - meths (denatured alcohol) in Spain - I hope to start in Seville. Thanks and good luck to you all!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
John - we took a little stove with us in 2002 and bought 'la bombona de gas' at a camping store. Some electrical stores also had them. It often came in handy when we picnicked on the side of the road and felt like a hot drink.

Johnboy said:
Hello, I'm thinking of taking a small camping stove with me on the VDLP next year (I have to start the day with a cup of tea!). Has anyone done this and how easy is it to buy the fuel - meths (denatured alcohol) in Spain - I hope to start in Seville. Thanks and good luck to you all!

I am curious, which alcohol stove are you using?

I use a Trangia while backpacking but did not take it with me to Spain. I only cooked in a few albergues and observed that most did have kitchen facilities-although a few did not- so usually you could have a hot drink most (but not all)mornings. I decided that i wanted to enjoy, as many times as I could, the delicious Spanish "Cafe con leche" from the closest bar each morning or to warm up anytime especially on cold and rainy days. It is simply the best coffee I have ever had.

But, to answer your question, I would imagine that 100% denatured alcohol might be purchased in hardware stores (ferreterias). A Trangia only uses 15 ml to heat two cups (16 fl ounces) so a small 240 ml liquid prescription container that you could obtain free from any pharmacist (drug store) will hold enough for 32 cups of hot tea. Refilling it will be a chore as i doubt it is not sold in such small containers, though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use a Trangia while backpacking but did not take it with me to Spain

We have bought a Trangia for our camino stage this year (from Reims to Vezelay to ?) where we intend to camp quite a bit. We chose this over a gas cooker because we thought meths would be easier to find than gas canisters in non-touristy areas. It's totally wonderful and I am completely enamoured. I took it for 4 days camping (at Womad - the world music festival) and used it for lots of cups of tea and porridge every morning, and used less than 200mls of meths. We bought the 1 litre Trangia fuel bottle and I'm now wondering if the 1/2 litre would have been wiser, but we are on bikes and there are two of us, so its not a crucial mistake, weight wise.

As I have an Aga at home, (I know, I'm very lucky) I call the Trangia my second swedish cooker. They are equally iconic, aren't they!

Bridget and Peter said:
I use a Trangia while backpacking but did not take it with me to Spain

We have bought a Trangia for our camino stage this year (from Reims to Vezelay to ?) where we intend to camp quite a bit. We chose this over a gas cooker because we thought meths would be easier to find than gas canisters in non-touristy areas. It's totally wonderful and I am completely enamoured. I took it for 4 days camping (at Womad - the world music festival) and used it for lots of cups of tea and porridge every morning, and used less than 200mls of meths. We bought the 1 litre Trangia fuel bottle and I'm now wondering if the 1/2 litre would have been wiser, but we are on bikes and there are two of us, so its not a crucial mistake, weight wise.

As I have an Aga at home, (I know, I'm very lucky) I call the Trangia my second swedish cooker. They are equally iconic, aren't they!

The venerable Trangia stove is slow, boiling 2 cups in 9 minutes, but it consumes the denatured alcohol at a miserly rate. With it's internal reservoir filled with ~4 fl ounces (120 ml) and the aforementioned 240 ml container filled, I can go 10 days on an unsupported backpacking trip boiling 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening, both for re-hydrating food only. Yes, I suspect the 500 ml container would have been wiser for you. Weight is still weight, whether it is carried upon your back or pedaled upon your bike. Now, what is an Aga stove?

Hello John, thanks for the info (and thanks to others who replied). I am using a small meths burner (smaller in size than a tennis ball) and windshield that weigh hardly anything. I place my metal mug directly on top for a quick brew up!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just a bit off Local perspective. I am a pensionist in EU. Little cash. To walk the camino I need to cook,pretty much all the time. As a result I will be carrying a stove
As to,whether or not it will be allows on,the plane I know not. I own 4 MSR whisperlites, including the very,first model. I usually buy a new one for flying. This time I'm not bothered. Whether airport security will confiscate it ir not I do not know. I also have a gas pocket rocket.. Weighs nothing. However as far as security,goes I will post again here. I will if its all confiscated just get something usable in France.
People use money to avoid problems. I have to eat. With fire I cook. I am a pilgrim, not a,tourist. Ian,amongst other things high,altitude Himalayan guide. Now I am,a sannyas. An ascetic. So I survive on faith in humanity,water and a little food. All this light weight stuff seems to me to,miss the point. A stove, a little fuel, a little food and water. Salt and sugar. Very fundamental,and very very much allowing the freedom,to choose. Some rice and something to go with it. Half an onion, a quarter lemon. Some salt and chilli. Maybe something else. Ok.
All of you use western material philosophy yet in the old days one just walked. One became an ascetic. So gear ,rucksacks clothing etc are all illusions.
However fire is of fundamental relevance to us both now and for thousands of years gone by. To have fire gives a chance to survive, without bocadillos, menu del diaz, and so on. Simplicity focuses the mind. What is it I really need. Albergues are elitist and modern. Pilgrims did not go from albergue to albergue. The rich could afford things. Your local pilgrim could not.. So I would say a small stove, a pot, a little food and water carrying capacity are essential to any traveler. But then money will get you out of many physical hardships. Choose. Do I really want to be limited to getting to an albergue and only then eating what I can afford. If they gave a kitchen, and knackered from,walking. For a few grams the freedom exists. Use it. The camino is a pilgrimage in it's essence. Not really a tourist trip. But exercise the privilege of being a free human being. Make the choice yourself. A little stove and fuel is worth it. I've used mine in Singapore! ( where there is great food available ready made) and all over the world. A small weight sacrifice for what you get. Fire. A very fundamental, yet taken for granted part of the necessity of human life.
Et godt camino,til jer allesammen.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.