• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping the Camino del Norte

Trailhawk

The Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2022: Camino del Norte + Primitivo + Finisterre
I found on Google map that there are many camping parks along the Camino del Norte. Is it possible to camp there using a hammock and a tarp shelter? Do enlighten me because tents are a bit heavy and bulky. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Trailhawk
I see from your other posts you would like to walk the Norte starting from Hendaye/Irun on the 15 March next year. Obviously at this point we don't know where the world will be with C19, so I'll respond as if there are no C19 restrictions/considerations, and then you can filter these answers through the situation closer to your departure time....
If you start that early in the year, I think nearly all the camping parks will be closed and not all of the other accommodation will be open either. A lot of places on the Norte open up for the year at Holy Week - Semana Santa - which in 2021 runs from 28 March - 3 April. I think most camping parks probably stay closed until May - but that's just my guess.
I see you are from the Philippines. Even though you are a trail survival expert I should warn you about the cold. When I walked late March and into April there was still light snow falling on some days and the temperature then for a few days was around 5-8C but made colder by the wind. You can imagine what the nights were like when the temperature dropped further. Having said that there were also many periods when the sun was shining in the day. But you should be prepared to deal with some cold, stormy weather.
I don't think the Norte is any good for a hammock - public camping sites by the sea don't tend to have many trees and I don't think they'd allow it. If you have a tarp you won't have any privacy for changing or sleeping, and family pet dogs will check you out! These public sites tend to be large sterile areas used primarily by families with big tents, caravans and campervans.
If you are set on camping I suggest you consider the timing of your trip and aim for a warmer period, and bring a lightweight tent - a single skin should be sufficient in warmer months. I have often carried a Trailstar (which has now been copied by other manufacturers). Though I rarely used it, as the albergues have been such an important part of the camino experience.
Anyway I suggest you have a good think about what it means to sleep out on the camino, especially in terms of where you stay, the time of year and what you bring. Also with C19 this is a developing situation: we may find that more albergues wish to allow pilgrims to camp in their yards/gardens around the albergue - we shall see...
Either way, this will be an interesting discussion.
Cheers, tom

I found on Google map that there are many camping parks along the Camino del Norte. Is it possible to camp there using a hammock and a tarp shelter? Do enlighten me because tents are a bit heavy and bulky. Thank you.
Welcome Trailhawk, depending on the type of hammock and tarp shelter plus accessories you intend to use a lightweight tent probably will not weigh much more and indeed maybe less.
I would also agree with Tom above about the weather and privacy issues. I walked the Frances mid April into May and it was very cold and wet for the first half of the walk, I sent my unused tent home and used albergues and Hostals, I would not have even considered using a tarp in those conditions.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Mods, I was actually wondering whether to suggest moving this to a new thread to get away from the distraction of all the 2015 conversations - and you obviously had the same idea!
Muchos gracias, tom

Thank you very much @peregrino_tom you are most helpful. I did plan for March 15, 2021 but I found out later as I checked the billeting areas on my intended route that some of the camping parks (and a few albergues too) do not open until the second week of April yet and that forced me to move forward my schedule. Then here comes the pandemic. I do not know if 2021 Spain would be opened for tourism but, if not, I would forego and reschedule it for 2022 instead. Yes it is very cold indeed as I checked later on the mean average temperatures there in mid-March to early April and it is a challenge indeed for one who lived and toiled in the tropics for all his life. If things get better for next year, the next best schedule I would give myself is late September or early October. I just want to avoid the crowds. I will not be walking solo but I will be accompanying a good friend. He would be 70 by the time he would walk the Camino next year. While I may be very proficient in stealth camping, I would never do such a thing where I am a guest. The query on the hammock-shelter combo is just to collect a sensible opinion from people who have been there and I am fortunate that pilgrims like you gave sound advice. Thank you very much.

Welcome Trailhawk, depending on the type of hammock and tarp shelter plus accessories you intend to use a lightweight tent probably will not weigh much more and indeed maybe less.
I would also agree with Tom above about the weather and privacy issues. I walked the Frances mid April into May and it was very cold and wet for the first half of the walk, I sent my unused tent home and used albergues and Hostals, I would not have even considered using a tarp in those conditions.

Was planning. Did not have any idea until @peregrino_tom provided good information on what to expect. The hammock would be of two-layer construction where you could place an insulator in between. The shelter would just be a simple one that I can adjust down or up.

31959257_10156237078909876_7214050709308702720_n.jpg30741306_10156195803999876_5047421029111037952_n.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A lightweight tent needs a ground sheet, a sleeping pad and sleeping bag. Does lightweight include the tent poles and the peg?

Pegs yes, but with some you can use your walking poles instead of tent poles which will reduce the overall weight. There are a few other threads in the camping section which discuss various lightweight tents that you might find helpful.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will stick with the hammock-shelter combo. I think this is lighter and I do not have to sleep on the ground. I would not add weight for a ground sheet, a ground pad and a sleeping bag. As long as I have a cheap roof insulation cut to fit inside my hammock which I could use also to sleep on the ground as last resort, if and when trees are scarce.

Last edited:
Hi Trailhawk
I see from your other posts you would like to walk the Norte starting from Hendaye/Irun on the 15 March next year. Obviously at this point we don't know where the world will be with C19, so I'll respond as if there are no C19 restrictions/considerations, and then you can filter these answers through the situation closer to your departure time....
If you start that early in the year, I think nearly all the camping parks will be closed and not all of the other accommodation will be open either. A lot of places on the Norte open up for the year at Holy Week - Semana Santa - which in 2021 runs from 28 March - 3 April. I think most camping parks probably stay closed until May - but that's just my guess.
I see you are from the Philippines. Even though you are a trail survival expert I should warn you about the cold. When I walked late March and into April there was still light snow falling on some days and the temperature then for a few days was around 5-8C but made colder by the wind. You can imagine what the nights were like when the temperature dropped further. Having said that there were also many periods when the sun was shining in the day. But you should be prepared to deal with some cold, stormy weather.
I don't think the Norte is any good for a hammock - public camping sites by the sea don't tend to have many trees and I don't think they'd allow it. If you have a tarp you won't have any privacy for changing or sleeping, and family pet dogs will check you out! These public sites tend to be large sterile areas used primarily by families with big tents, caravans and campervans.
If you are set on camping I suggest you consider the timing of your trip and aim for a warmer period, and bring a lightweight tent - a single skin should be sufficient in warmer months. I have often carried a Trailstar (which has now been copied by other manufacturers). Though I rarely used it, as the albergues have been such an important part of the camino experience.
Anyway I suggest you have a good think about what it means to sleep out on the camino, especially in terms of where you stay, the time of year and what you bring. Also with C19 this is a developing situation: we may find that more albergues wish to allow pilgrims to camp in their yards/gardens around the albergue - we shall see...
Either way, this will be an interesting discussion.
Cheers, tom

Can you confirm that the Camino del Norte (and primitivo) has many forests (pines mainly).? Tks.

Hi OxFyrd
It's been a few years... but as I recall, it's a mixed picture - many areas of wooded hills in the first week to Bilbao. A bit sparse from there to Santander and beyond to the split point. Primitivo I'd say has more woods. On the Norte you are pretty much on open coastal plain to Ribadeo. Therefter better as you turn inland and go up into the hilly country. In Galicia the woods are often Eucalyptus plantations

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I saw these guys wild camping on the Primitivo in May of 2016 and again twice later on the covered porches of small chapels. They look like they are "happy campers".
Screenshot_2020-05-30-06-01-00.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Del Norte in 2017. Around Easter, Spaniards get a Credential del peregrino, park their cars a couple of kilometers from the albergues and walk that to access cheap accommodations for the holidays while vacationing. Many albergues and campsites are overflowing with people for about a week to 10 days then. Some albergues that I stayed at during the Easter holidays had tents you could pitch on their lawn, but as added insurance, I carried an ultralight 8 oz bivy and used my Sea to Summit poncho as a tarp over me when there were no other choices. Campsites are more expensive than albergues and not nearly as many as you want. Spain has very strict laws about "wild" camping plus campfires are forbidden. The campsites that I saw were designed with hedges to mark the edges of the individual sites, plus 99% of the campsites are occupied by trailers. Not a lot of trees large enough to hang your hammock on. Keep your pack light because you're going to climb lotsa hills.

I walked the Del Norte in 2017. Around Easter, Spaniards get a Credential del peregrino, park their cars a couple of kilometers from the albergues and walk that to access cheap accommodations for the holidays while vacationing. Many albergues and campsites are overflowing with people for about a week to 10 days then. Some albergues that I stayed at during the Easter holidays had tents you could pitch on their lawn, but as added insurance, I carried an ultralight 8 oz bivy and used my Sea to Summit poncho as a tarp over me when there were no other choices. Campsites are more expensive than albergues and not nearly as many as you want. Spain has very strict laws about "wild" camping plus campfires are forbidden. The campsites that I saw were designed with hedges to mark the edges of the individual sites, plus 99% of the campsites are occupied by trailers. Not a lot of trees large enough to hang your hammock on. Keep your pack light because you're going to climb lotsa hills.
Thank you :)

PS. I state again that "wild camping" is not in my plans although I loved it. Who would not. But sometimes we have to make choices that would reflect on our actions and we become role models for other succeeding pilgrims from our respective countries. The Camino de Santiago is a pilgrimage route designed for the "sick in spirit" and, currently, for the tourists.

Last edited:
As per the other enquiry about camping, you need to actually spend money and buy a a good quality lightweight tent, or their will be guaranteed trouble on wet, cold, windy etc nights! Cheap tents are either heavy or rubbish that will not withstand a shower.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Was planning. Did not have any idea until @peregrino_tom provided good information on what to expect. The hammock would be of two-layer construction where you could place an insulator in between. The shelter would just be a simple one that I can adjust down or up.

View attachment 75690View attachment 75694

Just a note about your setup. While in the tropics you don’t need a sleeping bag and pad, for night temps of 15 and less, a sleeping bag is a must in a hammock, and as it compresses ender your body weight, a pad is also required as the temp drops lower. In May on the Norte, we had lots of nights at 10 deg or lower. We had days at 12 and 15. costwise, ultralight tents are expensive, so I like your idea.
have fun,
cheers

Thank you very much @peregrino_tom you are most helpful. I did plan for March 15, 2021 but I found out later as I checked the billeting areas on my intended route that some of the camping parks (and a few albergues too) do not open until the second week of April yet and that forced me to move forward my schedule. Then here comes the pandemic. I do not know if 2021 Spain would be opened for tourism but, if not, I would forego and reschedule it for 2022 instead. Yes it is very cold indeed as I checked later on the mean average temperatures there in mid-March to early April and it is a challenge indeed for one who lived and toiled in the tropics for all his life. If things get better for next year, the next best schedule I would give myself is late September or early October. I just want to avoid the crowds. I will not be walking solo but I will be accompanying a good friend. He would be 70 by the time he would walk the Camino next year. While I may be very proficient in stealth camping, I would never do such a thing where I am a guest. The query on the hammock-shelter combo is just to collect a sensible opinion from people who have been there and I am fortunate that pilgrims like you gave sound advice. Thank you very much.
Hi again, I failed to tell you that I walked the Del Norte AND the Primitivo. The Primitivo is more challenging than the Del Norte with distances greater between albergues. When I crossed the Primitivo in May, I was hit with a snow blizzard with lightning no less! The winds were so high that my hiking partner and I had to get down on one knee and drive our hiking poles as deep as possible so we would not get blown off a mountain. The winds were about 120 kilometers per hour! In 2018 I walked the GR70 in September. Again the winds there were spectacular. Wind, snow and rain are only about , at worse, 10% of the experience though. My advice is try to stay in municipal albergues where at least even if some are not heated you'll get a good and safe night's sleep. In at least, from memory, about 75% of the municipal albergues are repurposed schools and othe municipal buildings that often have portico/porch that can as a last measure offer you some protection from the elements. I walked with some Italians that would plan to arrive late at all albergues where if municipal albergue volunteer would go home to sleep, they would find somewhere in a hall or under a porch or sometimes on a kitchen floor, inflate their mattresses and sleep there. The police never gave them trouble for doing that, but with a caveat; only if there are no other reports of you doing that on a regular basis. The Spaniards at albergues and campsites keep a very detailed account of all their users. You must present your passport to acces their accommodation and they are legislated to note in detail all info and dates about your arrival and departure. So it's easy for the authorities to figure out what you've been up to. There was a municipal albergue that I stayed at where a group of trekkers arrived very late and partied till 2am, made a mess, broke a chair and a table. When I arrived at the next albergue about 36 kilometers later, the authorities had already warned the next albergues about those characters. They were refused shelter where I stayed plus I was told they would be refused at all municipal shelters from there on. I suspect they went home since I never saw them again.

Last edited:
It is very easy to do the Camino del Norte from camping site to camping site, in July Spain will be open and many people will choose that option.

Last year a couple did the Camino del Norte camping, they made a video about the best campgrounds

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It is very easy to do the Camino del Norte from camping site to camping site,
Really? The start from irun maybe, but not much further on, but maybe things have changed since my last time. Or would this be unofficial camping?

Hi OxFyrd
It's been a few years... but as I recall, it's a mixed picture - many areas of wooded hills in the first week to Bilbao. A bit sparse from there to Santander and beyond to the split point. Primitivo I'd say has more woods. On the Norte you are pretty much on open coastal plain to Ribadeo. Therefter better as you turn inland and go up into the hilly country. In Galicia the woods are often Eucalyptus plantations
Tks for answering. Very informative alingwith maps. As I'm hamocking, I'll have to avoid eucalyptus known as widow makers.

Really? The start from irun maybe, but not much further on, but maybe things have changed since my last time. Or would this be unofficial camping?
In any case, I'll not go to a camping site. I sleep early and leave in the very early morning. Not interested by holidays campers fiestas

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There really are a lot, you can google campsites on the Asturias coast or Basque coast or Cantabria coast.

Campsites on the Asturias coast

11_camping_asturias_ori Google_Maps.jpg

11 camping_asturias_ occGoogle_Maps.jpg

Ok, there are a lot on Google. Now I suggest you complete your research with a) distance from Camino
b) opening and closing dates,c) type of site, as in is this caravans only? Is it a campervan site or permanent caravans or can you rock up with a tent? and d) distance between sites along the Camino or suitable footpaths including any deviations. Then if you add the cost for one walker or cyclist for a night and maybe where the nearest grocery store and restaurants are located, put all this on a spreadsheet or even just a text file, you will have a useful resource that we will all thank you for.
Because just Googling "campsites" might be a bit lightweight.

Hello again. I took a random section of the Norte, from Villaviciosa to Gijon. There are two campsites nominally in Villaviciosa, one of them at Castiello de Lue, and one right on the coast, which take tents. Neither of them is what I would consider near the Camino, except by car, and even then not exactly close.
On the way you will go through Deva, which not only is on the way, but advertises Pilgrim friendly. I would stop there if I were walking, because the next campsite is at Cudillero, somewhat beyond Muros de Nalon. Don't shoot the messenger!

This campsite is next to Salinas which is about 5km past Aviles. I checked around Gijon as well on the west side, there is some campsites there. Google is a great idea but I can only speculate why they miss places out which I know exist, I have found that when looking at places for info, Google can be 50/50 if it gives you complete information. If I checked a bit more, I am pretty sure I would find campsites far in excess of what Google just shows.

That's good, then. Are you up for making a list of campsites ON the Camino? With opening days? Could be really useful.

I walked in July 2010 on the Norte with my tent, I stayed on campsites on a couple of occasions and in the grounds of Albergues as well. I ended up feeling very drawn to staying in Albergues and only kept the tent as a fallback if the crowds got crazy.. Before I went I researched campsites via Google, when I arrived I realised there was a difference and there was more campsites. Whoever is on the ground I suggest they speak to tourist offices or locals, opportunities might present them selves. If I was walking in the Summer months heading off to the beach would be on my list, in July in the Holy Year many people did that. If it was warm I might just spend the night in my sleeping bag next to the beach.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In any case, I'll not go to a camping site. I sleep early and leave in the very early morning. Not interested by holidays campers fiestas
Albergues are an almost guaranteed quiet place past 8 pm. The few campgrounds that I've had to stay at were all busy places well into the evenings. From memory, campgrounds have no noise rules past 10 pm, but there seemed to be lots of cars arriving from wherever well into the night.

With that setup I think a lightweight tent would weigh less.
Expecting crowds in July of Jubilee year 2021, I look forward to wild camping the North route.

I purchased a mesh bivvy from REI for about $60, weighs less than a pound, stays off feet and face [light aluminum pole] and Nemo air mattress fits inside as well as my pack. Both together about size of football. Nemo isnt cheap but super quality and I get a pro discount. Military spec poncho instead of rainjacket/pants will be used as rain gear, cover pack, serve as ground cover or tarp with trekking poles. Entire weather/sleep/waterproof/bugproof set up about 3 lb...less than tent/bag/clothing. I figure I will save way more than that by avoiding bugs, crowds, C19 at algergues. Plus if I want to stay in alberque I can fit the bivvy on the bed to avoid bedbugs. Call me crazy, but I am not bringing C19 or bedbugs home. :)

Do I err?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.54.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.54.08 AM.png
    526.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.57.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.57.41 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.57.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.57.13 AM.png
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.56.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.56.54 AM.png
    552.5 KB · Views: 9
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sounds reasonable as far as kit goes. Depends on the time of year though, it can get very cold and wet. July should be reasonable. As for Covid, that will depend on where you live if Spain is better or worse from the infection point of view.

@lisaflora Did you check the dimensions on the poncho to ensure that you will have enough coverage over the bivy ... no splashing over the bath tub floor? Something to consider if you are on the ground vs. in the air like in a hammock. My smallest hammock fly is 63" x 99" (99" ridgeline). You may also consider using it on the diagonal (diamond) if needed.

My hammock tarps have multiple attachment points. 2 for the ridge line, 4 for the corners, and (optional) center guy out points. I use a prusik on the ridge line to adjust the tarp right or left, and make it taught. I have used a clove hitch around my trekking pole handles on the ends of the ridge line when I have gone to ground. 👣 :D 😎

@lisaflora Did you check the dimensions on the poncho to ensure that you will have enough coverage over the bivy ... no splashing over the bath tub floor? Something to consider if you are on the ground vs. in the air like in a hammock. My smallest hammock fly is 63" x 99" (99" ridgeline). You may also consider using it on the diagonal (diamond) if needed.

My hammock tarps have multiple attachment points. 2 for the ridge line, 4 for the corners, and (optional) center guy out points. I use a prusik on the ridge line to adjust the tarp right or left, and make it taught. I have used a clove hitch around my trekking pole handles on the ends of the ridge line when I have gone to ground. 👣 :D 😎
@linkster , can you please show us a picture of your setup? Sounds interesting. Weight too please.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Sparleb644 I also have a Zpacks - Duplex Tent to go to ground. It is a little expensive. It is made of dynema (cuban fiber), lightweight (21 oz ... I opted for the thicker roof), and sets up with trekking poles. It is a single wall tent, so there is not a separate rain fly.

I was going to go to Myakka River State Park with my wife this week, but ETA blew through. Maybe we will squeeze a night in next week. 👣 :D 😎

Yes thank you. I've hiked The Appalachian trail with it. All good.. doing this all my life 🤪

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Expecting crowds in July of Jubilee year 2021, I look forward to wild camping the North route.

I purchased a mesh bivvy from REI for about $60, weighs less than a pound, stays off feet and face [light aluminum pole] and Nemo air mattress fits inside as well as my pack. Both together about size of football. Nemo isnt cheap but super quality and I get a pro discount. Military spec poncho instead of rainjacket/pants will be used as rain gear, cover pack, serve as ground cover or tarp with trekking poles. Entire weather/sleep/waterproof/bugproof set up about 3 lb...less than tent/bag/clothing. I figure I will save way more than that by avoiding bugs, crowds, C19 at algergues. Plus if I want to stay in alberque I can fit the bivvy on the bed to avoid bedbugs. Call me crazy, but I am not bringing C19 or bedbugs home. :)

Do I err?
You nailed it. I used a Sea to Summit poncho that doubled at a tarp and at times for a dry spot to have picnics on, and a 48 inch 8 ounce Therm-A-Rest NeoAir XLite air mattress and a 8 ounce bivy that's no longer sold made by Katabaticgear and their quilt. With hiking poles it all worked out great when I had to use it, which was only a handful of times. Carry at least 4 tent pegs; locals don't like it when you cut branches to use for that. Albergues are affordable along the Norte and Primitivo. Be aware there are longish distances between albergues on the Primitivo plus food supply stores are almost a dinosaur in villages. Many times the stores are closed on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays etc without any rhyme or reason and or they close for a few hours during the day when by chance you happen to arrive in the village. So, load up emergency food for at least 5 meals when you finally do get a chance to get provisions, likewise carry one and a half liters of water with you at all times. At a few very small hotels, only the guests were allowed to eat because that's all the hotel could afford to stock, so I went to sleep hungry a few nights. That was my experience along the Norte and Primitivo. BTW it's illegal to sleep on beaches, and there are a lot of those along the Norte. Go to a largish Spanish hardware store at the beginning of the Norte, where they sell safe insecticides, I sprayed the interior of my pack, quilt and basically anything that I didn't eat. Their insecticides last the duration of your Camino. Pay attention to the products, what I used was bed and furniture safe. Some insects can make you really sick, so use what the locals use because that's what works best in Spain. Don't worry about the insecticide chemicals, prevention is far safer than the treatment products used to recover from bug infestations. One more thing, set your kit up and sleep in/ under it at least two nights before you leave, that way you can fine tune what is best for you and you'll be quicker to set up. You might even figure some way to shed a little pack weight by doing so.Pack your bags in such a way you don't have to dump all of it to find the essentials of your sleep kit. There are lots of YouTube tutorials on packing and poncho set ups. You will never, ever regret your Camino. I promise you.

Last edited:
You nailed it. I used a Sea to Summit poncho that doubled at a tarp and at times for a dry spot to have picnics on, and a 48 inch 8 ounce Therm-A-Rest NeoAir XLite air mattress and a 8 ounce bivy that's no longer sold made by Katabaticgear and their quilt. With hiking poles it all worked out great when I had to use it, which was only a handful of times. Carry at least 4 tent pegs; locals don't like it when you cut branches to use for that. Albergues are affordable along the Norte and Primitivo. Be aware there are longish distances between albergues on the Primitivo plus food supply stores are almost a dinosaur in villages. Many times the stores are closed on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays etc without any rhyme or reason and or they close for a few hours during the day when by chance you happen to arrive in the village. So, load up emergency food for at least 5 meals when you finally do get a chance to get provisions, likewise carry one and a half liters of water with you at all times. At a few very small hotels, only the guests were allowed to eat because that's all the hotel could afford to stock, so I went to sleep hungry a few nights. That was my experience along the Norte and Primitivo. BTW it's illegal to sleep on beaches, and there are a lot of those along the Norte. Go to a largish Spanish hardware store at the beginning of the Norte, where they sell safe insecticides, I sprayed the interior of my pack, quilt and basically anything that I didn't eat. Their insecticides last the duration of your Camino. Pay attention to the products, what I used was bed and furniture safe. Some insects can make you really sick, so use what the locals use because that's what works best in Spain. Don't worry about the insecticide chemicals, prevention is far safer than the treatment products used to recover from bug infestations. One more thing, set your kit up and sleep in/ under it at least two nights before you leave, that way you can fine tune what is best for you and you'll be quicker to set up. You might even figure some way to shed a little pack weight by doing so.Pack your bags in such a way you don't have to dump all of it to find the essentials of your sleep kit. There are lots of YouTube tutorials on packing and poncho set ups. You will never, ever regret your Camino. I promise you.
Thank you for the great reply. I get myself a little psyched out reading about the wild boar, but I'm an avid hunter so turn around is fair play I guess!

Thank you for the great reply. I get myself a little psyched out reading about the wild boar, but I'm an avid hunter so turn around is fair play I guess!
I never saw or heard of anyone seeing wild boar along the Norte and Primitivo. I did cross paths with boar hunters twice and neither had bagged any. They use the Camino paths to return home as they have for centuries. There are millions of wild mountainous acres where I suspect wild boars do their best to hide out in. There are some sheppard's and hunter's tiny refuges that have survived along the camino, but all of them that I stuck my head into indicated they had not been used in decades. The Spanish countryside is now inhabited mostly with retirement aged people. Young people moved to cities like everywhere these days looking for work, and that's why villages are dying out. Sheppards and hunters are something of the past, but there are still some. The large percentage of Spaniards have dogs whose purpose is security. You'll get used to the dogs barking at you after a few days, so those dogs keep the boars in check.
And one more thing, fires are strictly forbidden, and they mean it. The police there mean business. I saw them in action twice; it wasn't pretty.

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread to see if Trailhawk pushed through with the trip and how it went. I'm gonna be hiking it in September and am planning on wild camping as much as I'm able. Currently also debating whether to take the hammock or the tent, so I'm especially interested in hearing about it.

Resurrecting this thread to see if Trailhawk pushed through with the trip and how it went. I'm gonna be hiking it in September and am planning on wild camping as much as I'm able. Currently also debating whether to take the hammock or the tent, so I'm especially interested in hearing about it.
Thank you paisan @focalmatter . First of all, I would sleep in albergues and cheap hostels. Second, I do not camp in the wild even if I am tempted to. Third, as I worked on my itinerary, I found caravan camps in between. What if I am forced to choose camping areas when the albergues are full or twilight is approaching?

This is when I tinkered on the idea of bringing a hammock set as against a tent and asked that question. I am short of funds and I cannot afford those ultralight luxuries. Instead I would be using Philippine-made products to make the owners happy. The hammock set is just that: when I ran out of albergues and the next one is ten kilometers away.

Anyway, I would limit my walking to a series of 20+ kms with a sprinkling of 30+ kms days in the Del Norte and the Primitivo. No successive 30+ kms even if twilight comes at 21:00 in the temperate zone. (In the tropics it is 18:00-18:30). I would start at 06:00 and end at 18:00. I am with a friend and I have to shepherd his pace because of his age and his medical condition. I am not walking for myself. He has a tent but I would carry it for him that is why I would not overexert.

Godspeed on your pilgrimage and adventure @focalmatter this September, that is next month. Wow. Buen Camino! I would do mine on early April next year.

Hi Trailhawk,
good to see that your plans are still holding firm and that you are now going for April next year.
Also interesting to see that you are planning to make the cross-over to the Primitivo at Villaviciosa. I found both Norte and Primitivo options to be good, but the higher, remoter pasture lands of the Primitivo are quite special. You just have to be patient as the first part to Oviedo (about 45km) is the least interesting part, passing through dormitory towns and suburbs.
I just wanted to mention one special place on the Primitivo, which I hope is still there, as it is now ten years since I walked this route. It is at Grandas de Salime, which is about halfway along the Primitivo https://www.gronze.com/etapa/berducedo/grandas-salime
Here they have an Ethnographic Museum http://www.museodegrandas.com which shows the elementary tools and methods of the local people going back thousands of years. Looking at your blog it occurred to me that it might interest you to see the kinds of methods that evolved from the original bushcraft of the area. When we walked through, we met the founder of the museum, Pepe el Ferriero who was working in a forge right at the entrance to the town, shaping metal wares. I'm not sure if he still does that - or indeed is still alive - but worth looking out for.
Cheers, tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Trailhawk,
good to see that your plans are still holding firm and that you are now going for April next year.
Also interesting to see that you are planning to make the cross-over to the Primitivo at Villaviciosa. I found both Norte and Primitivo options to be good, but the higher, remoter pasture lands of the Primitivo are quite special. You just have to be patient as the first part to Oviedo (about 45km) is the least interesting part, passing through dormitory towns and suburbs.
I just wanted to mention one special place on the Primitivo, which I hope is still there, as it is now ten years since I walked this route. It is at Grandas de Salime, which is about halfway along the Primitivo https://www.gronze.com/etapa/berducedo/grandas-salime
Here they have an Ethnographic Museum http://www.museodegrandas.com which shows the elementary tools and methods of the local people going back thousands of years. Looking at your blog it occurred to me that it might interest you to see the kinds of methods that evolved from the original bushcraft of the area. When we walked through, we met the founder of the museum, Pepe el Ferriero who was working in a forge right at the entrance to the town, shaping metal wares. I'm not sure if he still does that - or indeed is still alive - but worth looking out for.
Cheers, tom
Hello @peregrino_tom it is nice to know that you still remember me. You made sound advice when I asked this question and have to re-think over and over again if ever I should apply a "Don Quixote" style of approach pertaining the Camino del Norte and Primitivo. There was the start of the pandemic and it is good that I had to back down and pick up my campaign on another date in another year.

Speaking about my Camino. I will make the most of it by visiting archaeological museums of Santimamine (Day 8) and Altamira (Day 14), even staying for a day in Ea, to visit the place of my ancestry, instead of going to Markina-Xemein. Then you mentioned the Museo de Grandas in Grandas de Salime where I would be on Day 24. I would add this into my itinerary as a side attraction. Thank you very much.

Thank you also for visiting my blog. I am passionate about writing. Someday I would make memoirs of all my experiences and this 2022 el gran Camino de Santiago which I will be walking with my friend and benefactor. Hope to see you someday on the Way. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.